Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

It should still fit a double din radio. My dad has a 09 marquis with a double din, the mounting kit just required a slight bit of dremeling/shaving.

I'm pretty sure Holdbrooks had a touchscreen double DIN in his P71 when I rode in it.

drat if I remember what year model his car was (I just remember it was the final generation), but it's not like they did many updates on the Panther platform over the years.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wally Joyner posted:

My wife saw a teal-ish one yesterday, in passing, and commented on how cool it looks and that she wished she had one in pink.
The wife has mentioned several times she'd love on for daily driving and to get rid of car payment on the Tacoma. I've shown here a few white/black/boring ones and they won't work, has the be teal/pink or something crazy. I've got my alerts setup, when the right one comes around I'll grab it. If nothing pops up I'm planning on getting a white one then having my friend print 80's inspired vinyl for it.

Those graphics are just perfect

I'm get married Friday...holy crap

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Aw, I miss my Geo Tracker :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well they just wheeled dad off to the OR.

This wait is going to be agonizing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Rhyno :glomp:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Good luck, Rhynodad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So five minutes ago I felt a sharp pain in my chest and just now the information lady came and told me they have started the operation.

Yoiks.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CommieGIR posted:

Aw, I miss my Geo Tracker :(

Me to.

Also - hope it all goes well Rhyno.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Well they just wheeled dad off to the OR.

This wait is going to be agonizing.

What's he having done? GL

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Two heart valve repair/replacements and some other thing I didn't understand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress Amish people are racist as gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Are you still at the hospital? They're probably there for genetic screening for their incredible degree of inbreeding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah. It was weird, dude went on a rant about napkins.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Rhyno posted:

Whoa, I can understand some of those isolated communities having issues with outsiders, but never directly to anyone. Also I hope the surgery works out, it's always a tough wait when someone is having work done.

The seller took the offer on the Tracker! I've just got to go get it at this point. One minor issue is I can't drive a stick-shift.
This guy's out in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have many worries about taking it back the long way through the backroads, but it's the starts in town that are worrying me a little bit.

I did revisit an infamous thread, the 300ZX thread, because for what it's worth, that thread gave some excellent advice (several times over) on the proper way to get acclimated to a clutch and shifting for a first time manual driver. My manual experience is very very limited, I did have some practice a long time ago, but it was a right hand drive car and I barely had my learner's permit at the time!

I'll make sure to take a ton of pictures when I get it, I've already ordered some parts I'm gonna need!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 23, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Luxrage posted:

The seller took the offer on the Tracker! I've just got to go get it at this point. One minor issue is I can't drive a stick-shift.
This guy's out in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have many worries about taking it back the long way through the backroads, but it's the starts in town that are worrying me a little bit.

Slip the clutch for first gear while giving it gas, never rest your foot on the clutch pedal while not changing gear.

Welcome to driving manual.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Luxrage posted:

Whoa, I can understand some of those isolated communities having issues with outsiders, but never directly to anyone. Also I hope the surgery works out, it's always a tough wait when someone is having work done.

I did revisit an infamous thread, the 300ZX thread, because for what it's worth, that thread gave some excellent advice (several times over) on the proper way to get acclimated to a clutch and shifting for a first time manual driver. My manual experience is very very limited, I did have some practice a long time ago, but it was a right hand drive car and I barely had my learner's permit at the time!

I'll make sure to take a ton of pictures when I get it, I've already ordered some parts I'm gonna need!

I trained my wife's 15 year old teenage girl cousins to drive stick on our Tracker, if you get the concept of driving a stick then you'll be fine.
More throttle and controlling movement with the clutch seemed to be good advice for them, the car revving high but not moving was way better than too little throttle and the violent lurching.

efb what commie said

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Once you understand what is going on, 99% of it is just training your left foot to be more precise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh holy poo poo this super hit doctor lady just stopped and seriously chatted me up. I didn't even realize she was flirting with me.

I felt so weird explaining I was engaged.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

No, don't hit the doctor lady. You'll end up with charges.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Uh holy poo poo this super hit doctor lady just stopped and seriously chatted me up. I didn't even realize she was flirting with me.

I felt so weird explaining I was engaged.

Let her down gentle until your dad's out of the danger zone.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Screw that, marry the doctor. Imagine how big a garage the house she buys can be.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

KakerMix posted:

I trained my wife's 15 year old teenage girl cousins to drive stick on our Tracker, if you get the concept of driving a stick then you'll be fine.
More throttle and controlling movement with the clutch seemed to be good advice for them, the car revving high but not moving was way better than too little throttle and the violent lurching.

efb what commie said

Geo trackers are great baby's first stick shift. 1st and 2nd are pretty low, so its REALLY hard to stall. Clutch is forgiving. 2nd-3rd is a little long - rev it a bit higher, then 3-4-5 are easy-sweet.
Downshift 3/2 is ugly for a while, but most people get it without creating too much scrap metal.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
So we're getting a bit of rain over here in Western NC...

RIP my culvert/driveway

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL this feels like the scene in Days of Thunder when the hot cop turned out to be a stripper. But none of my friends have that kind of money.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Luxrage posted:

Fellas... I think I'm gonna do it:

Being from the great north it really blows my mind the lack-of-rust condition of some of these 90s cars

Welcome to Texas.
(e: f, b)

Also, that's really, really pink.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol I love the artsy shot, quite the contrast of a pretty sunset and beat up car :v:

Departing RX-7, and new hoopty:

Enourmo posted:

Finally ordered parts today to put my Kenwood into the P71. Apparently the stock radio is some weird 1.5 DIN size, hopefully the pocket on the kit I ordered is better than completely useless. I'm getting pretty sick of the local radio stations' lack of good music, I miss Pandora so much.

Double DIN will fit, at least in my 2005, with a little work. The kit I got worked fine - it snaps into the dash trim like the OEM radio. Mine is a Scosche.

Also took a half-down deposit on the '84 RX-7 cluttering up the garage. He's going to pay the other half and pick it up next Saturday. He plans to fix it, then ship it to Puerto Rico. At least I know it will be loved, there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

LoL this feels like the scene in Days of Thunder when the hot cop turned out to be a stripper. But none of my friends have that kind of money.
Meh, you're not married yet so go for it. So what's the worst that will happen?
you'll wake up in a tub full of ice minus a few semi-critical organs

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just saw this. Is it useless or useful?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Meh, you're not married yet so go for it. So what's the worst that will happen?
you'll wake up in a tub full of ice minus a few semi-critical organs

I'm in a hospital, they'll take everything and toss the rest in a medical waste bin.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CornHolio posted:

atomicmecha on Imgur posted:

Have one. Got it cause I thought it was cleaver and I could use it. Haven't needed it. Won't fit where I need it. Also does not like torque

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

looks like junk

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

So we're getting a bit of rain over here in Western NC...

Yeah seriously, I might be taking a weird route back through Asheville after work if this keeps up.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 23, 2017

Siochain
May 24, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I've tried a few variations of that kind of thing, and they all loving suck. Well, okay, they work, until you need torque. So great for spinning things off/on lightly, but I hope you can fit a real tool in there for the important bits of torquing a bolt.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Friend on Facebook forwarded this to me:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/974796852657280/

edit: I should probably post this over in the Craigslist thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Also, for those interested in half-assed work on an '80s Japanese shitbox, here's the promised thread for my new-to-me AE86 coupe.
Don't expect much, because you won't get it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838374

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dad's surgery went well. The old man's gonna live to see me get married.

Thank God, I was more stressed than I realized.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Good news. Beer time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Glad to hear it. My old man's 70 next year, and I must admit you do worry a bit about these kinds of things.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Thank the fux, Rhyno. Glad your old man is gonna be ok.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Yeah seriously, I might be taking a weird route back through Asheville after work if this keeps up.

Well we survived. Culvert and stream seem no worse for wear, although I'm constantly in doubt of the overall health of that particular bottom-rusted-out culvert pipe. Driveway is hosed. Will be buying a tractor this week.

Rhyno posted:

Good news! My parents are still riding motorcycles and hanging plywood 20' up on the side of their barn at 72, I know the stress of old parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Good to hear, man. My folks will be 70 next year. No major issues yet, thank God.

• Locked thread