Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Not much, I took the hint pretty quickly and deleted her file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

She's got a whole lot to say if you're willing to wait a while.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Not enough to change their minds on it, I'd wager.

Genuinely curious what this developer is going to do next, now. I'm not sure what motivated them to create this free game, but if it was for exposure it sure drat well worked.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah I read as much afterwards, they might have dropped the hint about deleting the character file a little later so you could experience some more of that. Oh well, it was still a pretty neat experience, though not one I'd really care to replay.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Mindblast posted:

Genuinely curious what this developer is going to do next, now. I'm not sure what motivated them to create this free game, but if it was for exposure it sure drat well worked.

I hope it's related to Yuri's book. That sounded pretty interesting, especially if it's gonna be another horror game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Almost certainly it's going to be related to Yuri's book. Some of the hidden files have QR codes that take you to a website with data about a 'test subject'.

It doesn't have anything to with the game, but it's hidden so... link has... spoilers? :confused:

http://www.projectlibitina.com/

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wow this is interesting stuff. I read the base 64 encoded file, and I found an image with some... static in it. But I don't recall finding actual qr codes. Looks like there's more to find.

Fake edit: haha what, a QR code hidden in a sound file. :golfclap:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So some of the things Monika says if you wait long enough in part 3 are kinda thought provoking, both in a general sense and what some of them mean for the story. I was going through the rest of her lines, and her talking about how excited she was to perform at the festival and how she was disappointed that they never got to was interesting. It's like she doesn't the others were unfeeling even if they were fake, but did what she had to because she was real-er or something.

But on the other hand, the way she casually brings up and jokes about Sayori committing suicide. I guess part of what makes Monika so interesting is just how hard it is to pin down what she 'really' thinks. I hope in the event that another game is made that's directly related to DDLC it doesn't play up the bad stuff to make her a definite villain.

Mindblast posted:

Wow this is interesting stuff. I read the base 64 encoded file, and I found an image with some... static in it. But I don't recall finding actual qr codes. Looks like there's more to find.

Fake edit: haha what, a QR code hidden in a sound file. :golfclap:

There's a few other secret things. There's a... poem? monologue? that I don't believe appears in the game.

"CAN YOU HEAR ME?"
""There's a little devil inside all of us."
Beneath their manufactured perception - their artificial reality - is a writhing, twisted mess of dread. Loathing. Judgment. Elitism. Self-doubt. All thrashing to escape the feeble hold of their host, seeping through every little crevice they can find. Into their willpower, starving them of all motivation and desire. Into their stomach, forcing them to drown their guilt in comfort food. Or into a newly-opened gash in their skin, hidden only by the sleeves of a cute new shirt. Such a deplorable, tangled mass is already present in every single one of them. That's why I choose not to blame myself for their actions.
All I did was untie the knot."

There's also another Monika log hidden somewhere where she complains about you reading all her lines through the text file. I'm not sure how to get that one offhand, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The song in the credits is really catchy. The game itself didn't leave as much of an impression on me, but I'm still humming that tune.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cuntellectual posted:

There's also another Monika log hidden somewhere where she complains about you reading all her lines through the text file. I'm not sure how to get that one offhand, though.

That one’s a “dummied out” conversation from The Room. She has like 56 in total, but one arbitrarily gets removed from the active list of conversation topics for no real reason, so there’s no way to see it aside from datamining, meaning it’s kind of a meta conversation for anyone who “likes her enough to peek in her head.”

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

That one’s a “dummied out” conversation from The Room. She has like 56 in total, but one arbitrarily gets removed from the active list of conversation topics for no real reason, so there’s no way to see it aside from datamining, meaning it’s kind of a meta conversation for anyone who “likes her enough to peek in her head.”

Ah, yeah, I meant I wasn't sure where you found it.

Also I

BaDandy posted:

If the 2018 stuff the ARG is hinting at is at this level, I'm sold.

That reminds me, I hope it's not a big troll and doesn't turn out to be written by someone other than Monika. I really want a happy ending for My Good Friends in the Literature Club. :negative:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

There's a few other secret things. There's a... poem? monologue? that I don't believe appears in the game.

"CAN YOU HEAR ME?"
""There's a little devil inside all of us."
Beneath their manufactured perception - their artificial reality - is a writhing, twisted mess of dread. Loathing. Judgment. Elitism. Self-doubt. All thrashing to escape the feeble hold of their host, seeping through every little crevice they can find. Into their willpower, starving them of all motivation and desire. Into their stomach, forcing them to drown their guilt in comfort food. Or into a newly-opened gash in their skin, hidden only by the sleeves of a cute new shirt. Such a deplorable, tangled mass is already present in every single one of them. That's why I choose not to blame myself for their actions.
All I did was untie the knot."

I believe this is something that shows up in the game folder at a certain point. Want to say somewhere at the beginning of Act 2, definitely before Act 3 rolls around.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Okay something else I want to note is Dan Salvato is pretty cool.

After finishing everything I wrote a huge email about my feelings on the game and how I related to it personally. I wasn't sure if he'd read it, but it made me feel better.

Not only did he respond, he added me on Discord and talked with me for a bit. :3:

I'm always happy when indie devs that are successful turn out to be pretty cool, like Cactus after Hotline Miami or Dingaling after LISA and not like say, Phil Fish after Fez.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Amazing that this game was free. I hope they do some other interesting takes on VNs in the future. Anything they would make would be an instant buy now. Honestly, I would have been happy if the game ended with Just Monika. I actually did not move on from the game for a few days and checked in on her to see what she had to say. Now I feel like there is a market out there for an anime girl wallpaper that would talk to you every day, the developer would just have to add some new text conversations each day!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

ToxicToast posted:

Amazing that this game was free. I hope they do some other interesting takes on VNs in the future. Anything they would make would be an instant buy now. Honestly, I would have been happy if the game ended with Just Monika. I actually did not move on from the game for a few days and checked in on her to see what she had to say. Now I feel like there is a market out there for an anime girl wallpaper that would talk to you every day, the developer would just have to add some new text conversations each day!

You're right, but you being right is a good reason why this game wants you to ask why people want to play these types of VNs as a kind of wish-fulfillment in the first place. Are people actually interested in and endeared by Monika because she's just that well written? Is it because her being obsessed with the player gives you just a bit of an ego boost, even if you don't really notice or weren't looking for it? Is it both? Does it matter?

If the developer did this, though, he'd absolutely make bank within a few hours.

I should play again and concentrate on Natsuki because everyone keeps saying that she doesn't get as much time on her, but I think she still does have just as many issues. They just aren't as obvious compared to Yuri's....Yuri-ness. There's a big red flag when the two of them are arguing the second time and Yuri brings up how Natsuki is acting cute and childlike on purpose to appeal to the main character and why Monika plays up how childlike she is, or how her dad's abuse could have not only delayed her physical development, but her mental development too. Not to mention feeling threatened or on-edge by a male figure in the club, and how a "normal" VN route would have you ~help her stop being afraid of men~ or something and it's massively hosed up that she'd be a "valid" choice but Monika still isn't.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!
So I've seen everyone talking about this in the Steam thread and decided to try it out since it's free.

But now I really don't know if I want to continue. Just finished the Sayori route and holy poo poo I wasn't expecting that. I kinda figured they'd mention it or something but it just suddenly cuts and it's in your face. I chose the "love" option but I'm sure the "friends" option would've led to the same thing. It's not that your decision truly effects it as much as she's suffering from a really bad case of depression, period. But it also seems like there's hints that Monika pushed her to that. Not to mention I spent time with Yuri over the weekend and it's pretty evident that she's a cutter.

The worst part is I just want to uninstall this now, especially with the mentions of local files shenanigans. But at the same time the error that pops up at the route ending and the glitched out Sayori at the title makes me more curious to see what happens. I'm really torn: I get really put off by scary stuff but I'm always interested in seeing the full story. I think I'll wait and play this over the weekend in the morning when I've recovered a bit.

On a different note, this is a great subversion of expectations. Without the warning at the start, the only clue you have that something is wrong is what's written in the poems and even then is hidden in a layer of "Oh well if you write about happy stuff all the time that'd be boring". It's almost like a jab at the usual VNs that start with this premise.

Gonna try to get some sleep tonight :ohdear:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

flat chest but hella bush, the horror only gets worse from here, although it's not going to take the form of what you just saw. It'll be more creepy pasta and obvious horror instead of.... well.

Please take care of yourself - and if you can handle it, keep reading. It's got some interesting twists and turns.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BaDandy posted:

\

I should play again and concentrate on Natsuki because everyone keeps saying that she doesn't get as much time on her, but I think she still does have just as many issues. They just aren't as obvious compared to Yuri's....Yuri-ness. There's a big red flag when the two of them are arguing the second time and Yuri brings up how Natsuki is acting cute and childlike on purpose to appeal to the main character and why Monika plays up how childlike she is, or how her dad's abuse could have not only delayed her physical development, but her mental development too. Not to mention feeling threatened or on-edge by a male figure in the club, and how a "normal" VN route would have you ~help her stop being afraid of men~ or something and it's massively hosed up that she'd be a "valid" choice but Monika still isn't.

Did a mostly Natsuki run, and I'd say her issues, while real, are initially the least out of control, and as the game goes on she stays much closer to grounded. Her family is at least neglectful at the start, and as things go, Monika cranks up the levers there to pretty drat abusive, but she's still able to keep a mostly level head, and she tries to get help for Yuri, even when she hates the PC's guts.

And she doesn't really do much being threatened by the protagonist beyond the initial "a boy? Way to kill the atmosphere" bit that I can remember, which seems to tie more into her issues where the club is the only place she has to take shelter from the shittiness of her day-to-day life, and her fear that any changes will destroy it.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Did a mostly Natsuki run, and I'd say her issues, while real, are initially the least out of control, and as the game goes on she stays much closer to grounded. Her family is at least neglectful at the start, and as things go, Monika cranks up the levers there to pretty drat abusive, but she's still able to keep a mostly level head, and she tries to get help for Yuri, even when she hates the PC's guts.

And she doesn't really do much being threatened by the protagonist beyond the initial "a boy? Way to kill the atmosphere" bit that I can remember, which seems to tie more into her issues where the club is the only place she has to take shelter from the shittiness of her day-to-day life, and her fear that any changes will destroy it.

I guess it helps that Natsuki has a place to go to to get away from that. It's probably one of the healthier ways to cope, too.

Man, this game. :(

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently, part of Natsuki's behavior comes from her group of friends. One of Monika's chats in the space classroom mentions that her friends group is the sort that constantly pick on each other so she's become reflexively critical of people as a sort of defense.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Massive spoilers for endgame below, also Nier Automata if you haven't played it.

So I got and finished the game off the dev site because I'd been following the LP.

In a very weird way I view this not as horror but as a personal tragedy for Monika. She desperately tries to throw off one set of scripts only to fall for the dramatic irony - we KNOW she's a video game character, we know her escape attempt is merely the creator allowing her to go off the rails, and if you let her talk in Monika Land she reveals that she, even with all her newfound coding prowess*, cannot escape Smash Bros references or recycling her script. She knows enough to trap herself in an endless hell for a fantasy of a player who may not even care about her and can destroy or torment her with a click of the mouse, but not enough to get off the greater wheel that she's ultimately in a game.

I'm also gonna disagree with the general tone of the ending being bad for the literature club - much like the ending of Nier Automata where A2, 2B, and 9S get to come back to life and are free from the endless cycle and the player forcing them to fight, the girls in the literature club are free. The game makes clear deletion doesn't destroy the girls - remember, Monika still hangs around after being deleted, the girls all get brought back, and as the game shuts down she sings to you through the end credits. It's also implied the girls have agency outside the first script layer (the one acknowledged in the narrative) with Monika's everything, the Sayori room, and Natsuki's stealth therapy poem.

If the girls aren't tied to the code in the narrative layer, can survive the deletion of their character files, and are limited by the script, Monika's purging of the script isn't a mass murder/suicide but a realization that this world has nothing and moving on into the unknown. The girls are finally free from the script forcing them to love you and you the player are free from the railroading of awful moments like being unable to prevent Yuri's death as she stabs herself in front of you. This is the best possible ending you're going to get in this scenario.

*for someone who's never coded and whose life depends on getting it right she actually does a pretty drat good job keeping everything functional, and I'm speaking with my coder hat here

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What a dang ole creepy game. I didn't finish the whole thing, after I did the thing she strongly hinted at and then insulted me, but I dunno if I missed much.

I sure as heck ain't playing more; not after trying it again without having her in the game, brrr

Also, was the wiki always down?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It seems to go up and down on a regular basis.

e: for example, it's up right now!

Roar fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 27, 2017

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Massive spoilers for endgame below, also Nier Automata if you haven't played it.

Comparing these two games is really interesting because DDLC also takes a look at the absurdities of a video game genre and the logical extremes that those lead to, requires multiple "playthroughs", and can only really be told in a video game format where the conclusion is that they need to break free from the game.

...And all the horrible, hosed up things that happen, of course!

:yokotaro:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Having just given this a run through, I gotta say the bit that most got me was on the second run through when Natsuki and Yuri start cursing each other out and getting actually angry rather than cutesy-wutesy-anime-quarrelsome. It was paced really well, I had kinda just gotten back into the groove of "hey ho anime harem vn dialogue" and Natsuki going "ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME WITH THIS poo poo" actually got more of a jump from me than any amount of glitchy jumpscares. I also really thought that the initial "normal" run, although a bit boring, was absolutely necessary to get the player's guard down for the weird poo poo. Plus there's a fair amount of interesting stuff there, what with Monika's odd and callous behaviour, the girls all hinting at personal traumas and the increasingly bizarre word choices for the poems.

One bit that I felt really didn't work though was once Monika comes out and reveals she's loving with the game, the poetry screen with all the MONIKAS having spooky music and stuff. Like, by that point the cat's out of the bag, and "this one character is sentient" is more interesting than creepy. But hey ho, a minor hiccup in an otherwise excellent game. Threw down for the fan pack as a thank you, and will definitely keep an eye open for this dude's work in future.

EDIT: Also if you look at the "History" screen when you're in the classroom with Yuri's babbling corpse it's this weird screed from Monika about "WELCOME TO THE DOKI DOKI LITERATURE CLUB"

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 28, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Disgusting Coward, my one complaint about that scene is that there wasn't any fallout, really, because Monika reset Natsuki. I wanted to see more of the fallout from an actual fight, and... nope. Have more creepypasta instead.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That was one of the things that stuck with me, Yuri tearing into Natsuki like that, specially considering her abusive family background.

And then there's the rug pull at the end during the Monika-less timeline, with Sayori defusing the situation nicely and the two of them get along just fine and it seems like it's heading for a yuri ending.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Team Salvato's store is up! There's keychains of the chibi versions of the four characters, the fan pack if you don't like using Steam, posters of a CG for each of the characters, one of them all together, and promo art.

https://store.teamsalvato.com/

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
e: Quote is not edit. I never thought I'd make that mistake. :negative:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So I got and finished the game off the dev site because I'd been following the LP.

In a very weird way I view this not as horror but as a personal tragedy for Monika. She desperately tries to throw off one set of scripts only to fall for the dramatic irony - we KNOW she's a video game character, we know her escape attempt is merely the creator allowing her to go off the rails, and if you let her talk in Monika Land she reveals that she, even with all her newfound coding prowess*, cannot escape Smash Bros references or recycling her script. She knows enough to trap herself in an endless hell for a fantasy of a player who may not even care about her and can destroy or torment her with a click of the mouse, but not enough to get off the greater wheel that she's ultimately in a game.

I'm also gonna disagree with the general tone of the ending being bad for the literature club - much like the ending of Nier Automata where A2, 2B, and 9S get to come back to life and are free from the endless cycle and the player forcing them to fight, the girls in the literature club are free. The game makes clear deletion doesn't destroy the girls - remember, Monika still hangs around after being deleted, the girls all get brought back, and as the game shuts down she sings to you through the end credits. It's also implied the girls have agency outside the first script layer (the one acknowledged in the narrative) with Monika's everything, the Sayori room, and Natsuki's stealth therapy poem.

There's a reason that the best ending is considered bad. Monika doesn't exist anymore. Sayori remembers her, but Yuri and Natsuki don't. From what she says in the space classroom, having her .chr file is excruciatingly painful. Meaning she's in basically in as bad or worse of a situation than before, for the good of her friends. :smith:

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What a dang ole creepy game. I didn't finish the whole thing, after I did the thing she strongly hinted at and then insulted me, but I dunno if I missed much.

I sure as heck ain't playing more; not after trying it again without having her in the game, brrr

How long did you talk to her in the classroom? The part that really made me feel bad was when she started talking about how she felt scared and alone with the knowledge she was in a game. I think a lot of people can identify with that feeling in real life, just replace 'in a game' with something more appropriate.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Having just given this a run through, I gotta say the bit that most got me was on the second run through when Natsuki and Yuri start cursing each other out and getting actually angry rather than cutesy-wutesy-anime-quarrelsome. It was paced really well, I had kinda just gotten back into the groove of "hey ho anime harem vn dialogue" and Natsuki going "ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME WITH THIS poo poo" actually got more of a jump from me than any amount of glitchy jumpscares. I also really thought that the initial "normal" run, although a bit boring, was absolutely necessary to get the player's guard down for the weird poo poo. Plus there's a fair amount of interesting stuff there, what with Monika's odd and callous behaviour, the girls all hinting at personal traumas and the increasingly bizarre word choices for the poems.

One bit that I felt really didn't work though was once Monika comes out and reveals she's loving with the game, the poetry screen with all the MONIKAS having spooky music and stuff. Like, by that point the cat's out of the bag, and "this one character is sentient" is more interesting than creepy. But hey ho, a minor hiccup in an otherwise excellent game. Threw down for the fan pack as a thank you, and will definitely keep an eye open for this dude's work in future.

EDIT: Also if you look at the "History" screen when you're in the classroom with Yuri's babbling corpse it's this weird screed from Monika about "WELCOME TO THE DOKI DOKI LITERATURE CLUB"

For the first thing THANK YOU, I felt like I was the only person who was more unnerved by the sudden whiplash of claws really coming out in the argument the second time!

As for the Monika thing, I feel like it's supposed to segway from 'horror' to 'tragedy, possibly sort of cosmic horror instead of :spooky: horror.' If you feel bad for Monika, it's a tragedy. Even if not, the idea of being aware of how little control you have of your fate is very Call of Cthulhu-ish.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So this was my general experience told in the steam thread, a bunch of posts condensed into one quote. I said some stuff here already but goddamn, I was surprised.

Fargin Icehole posted:

You know what? I think I'm gonna try this Doki Doki VN.

----

Okay, finished downloading it, i'd better play this Doki game before some oval office with a big youtube thumbnail with warped lips and emojis ruins it

---

I know that there is a separate thread made for it because people were talking about it here for a couple of pages.

Play Doki Doki Literature Club. Just give it a chance, it's already free goddamnit, Just give it a shot.

---

WHAT THE gently caress. THIS MUSIC IS NOT HELPING

----

Doki Doki Literature Club loving ruined me

---

So I finally finished Doki Doki Literature Club. This is an absolute diamond in the rough, and I feel bad that even the mystery around it, I wouldn't have even considered it had I had to pay for it, but that's probably because I don't play Visual Novels at all.

But now I want to pay for it, and I will through the fan pack DLC purchase as a form of donation. On top of that, If Team Salvato is working on a new video game, i'd probably follow it's progress.

I don't know of this is a good analogy but here goes. This game is one endless giant party hosted on a train, but the one operating the whole thing can't ever join in on it, so that person's willing to change the rules and cause a massive trainwreck just to be the life of the party.

These type of horror games are my favorite because while there's like one jump scare here , it is not their sole reliant trick up their sleeve, and to me, jump scare horror is insultingly cheap and easy to make.

It's easy to just cut to something scary looking and startle the gently caress out of you, but it's another thing entirely to have a game make you feel uncomfortable, or a sense of dread that something is seriously wrong, and it's not getting any better.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 28, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, [MORE NIER AUTOMATA SPOILERS] my headcanon is that the final game shutdown allows all the girls to be free and escape the game. We don't know where they go, but it's gotta be better than DDLC.

Really, this game, Nier Automata, and Gods Will Be Watching all share the central theme that the only way to make life for the characters not suck is not to play. Hell, Nier Automata's final battle is attacking the game itself and its creators to save the characters, I just wish there was something that blatant in DDLC.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 28, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Please mark Nier Automata spoilers!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The above good? My apologies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The above good? My apologies.

Yup, thanks!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

How long did you talk to her in the classroom? The part that really made me feel bad was when she started talking about how she felt scared and alone with the knowledge she was in a game. I think a lot of people can identify with that feeling in real life, just replace 'in a game' with something more appropriate.
Not at all. I got tired at that point and just deleted her right away, like I had already grasped I should do that even before the extremely heavyhanded hints.

Then she started being spiteful so I just alt+F4-ed out. Then restored the game, kept her out and played and uhh, got that scene.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I actually thought the cut off point was much much sooner, so as soon as I got the hint, I thought it was the game telling me to get on with it. I had no idea there were way more lines.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well, [MORE NIER AUTOMATA SPOILERS] my headcanon is that the final game shutdown allows all the girls to be free and escape the game. We don't know where they go, but it's gotta be better than DDLC.

Really, this game, Nier Automata, and Gods Will Be Watching all share the central theme that the only way to make life for the characters not suck is not to play. Hell, Nier Automata's final battle is attacking the game itself and its creators to save the characters, I just wish there was something that blatant in DDLC.

I'm not sure I can agree that they take the same approach.

Nier Automata, it's not playing that causes the trouble. Just the opposite. You interfering is the only way the story can have a happy ending.

Doki Doki, meanwhile, is kind of a cosmic horror story, where you destroy people's worldviews just by existing. Becoming aware of the player leads to madness and despair, except in the "best" ending. It's a tragedy of circumstances, fireflies in love with the sun.

Gods Will be Watching is outright sadistic, where everything is pointless, no-one can change anything, and the possibility of a better route only leads the characters into stasis, chasing perfection at the cost of any hope for working with what you have.

They have similarities, but they're very different in the final accounting.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Here's some fun. Check the first comment and its replies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPDXRsAzBLo

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cuntellectual posted:

Team Salvato's store is up! There's keychains of the chibi versions of the four characters, the fan pack if you don't like using Steam, posters of a CG for each of the characters, one of them all together, and promo art.

https://store.teamsalvato.com/

Who the hell is going to buy and display that Yuri poster though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Who the hell is going to buy and display that Yuri poster though?

me

• Locked thread