Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Homecoming Spider-Man was the perfect Spider-Man and Peter Parker, a dweeby fast talking kid with a heart of gold who probably has reams of inner dialogue expressed by his facial expressions and body language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Calaveron posted:

Homecoming Spider-Man was the perfect Spider-Man and Peter Parker, a dweeby fast talking kid with a heart of gold who probably has reams of inner dialogue expressed by his facial expressions and body language
Yeah I knew Tom Holland was the right pick when I saw Civil War. He nailed it.

I’m glad they actually made him a dork this time as opposed to the ASM version

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man, watching ASM and trying to have Garfield and Stone pass as teenagers just took me out of it. Especially the second one.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What's crazy is that the actress who plays Liz is like 27.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I still haven't seen the Amazing movies. Had a bad feeling about the first one, and stayed away. Homecoming was exactly what I wanted out of a MCU Spider-Man.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Amazing 1 is alrightish, Amazing 2 is an insane fever dream. Homecoming is fantastic, Raimi 1 is alright but poorly aged, Raimi 2 is great, Raimi 3 is garbage.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

RevolverDivider posted:

Amazing 1 is alrightish, Amazing 2 is an insane fever dream. Homecoming is fantastic, Raimi 1 is alright but poorly aged, Raimi 2 is great, Raimi 3 is garbage.

This is all accurate and should be referred to in the future should anyone have doubts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Raimi Spider-Man 2 is way better than Homecoming :colbert: Both had really great villains, but no action setpiece in Homecoming even comes close to the train sequence in Spider-Man 2. Also when MJ sees that Peter is Spider-Man, that scene is perfection.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Did Sony announce who Venom was going to be? I hope it’s Topher Grace again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

Did Sony announce who Venom was going to be? I hope it’s Topher Grace again.

Tom Hardy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

teagone posted:

Raimi Spider-Man 2 is way better than Homecoming :colbert: Both had really great villains, but no action setpiece in Homecoming even comes close to the train sequence in Spider-Man 2. Also when MJ sees that Peter is Spider-Man, that scene is perfection.

God forbid we didn’t get to see a Spider-Man twisting his fat doughy face into contortions of effort and pain
The airplane sequence was fantastic, and the Washington Monument scene holy poo poo, that perfectly sold the idea that Pete’s just an inexperienced kid who despite being scared shitless is still willing to go the mile for the right reasons

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aphrodite posted:

Tom Hardy.

Oh man I hope he uses his Bane accent for no reason

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

hiddenriverninja posted:

Oh man I hope he uses his Bane accent for no reason

I hope Venom suddenly gets all populist and tries to give something back to the people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ASM2 suffers from having a supposed 45 minutes of finished film cut out at the last minute so next to nothing makes any sense. There's an entire sub plot with Mary Jane that's missing and is the whole reason Gwen was willing to leave NYC.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Rhyno posted:

ASM2 suffers from having a supposed 45 minutes of finished film cut out at the last minute so next to nothing makes any sense. There's an entire sub plot with Mary Jane that's missing and is the whole reason Gwen was willing to leave NYC.

The movie’s a bloated incoherent overlong mess as it is, I cannot imagine it originally having even more

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

The movie’s a bloated incoherent overlong mess as it is, I cannot imagine it originally having even more

From what I read previously cut segments were re-inserted to pad out the run time to cover the missing MJ sequences.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

Tom Hardy.

The guy who played Patrick Stewart's clone?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 best, because of nostalgia I have for them as much as their own qualities as films (Dafoe and Molina are still two of my favourites for superhero movie villains), then Homecoming.

I'm sure there's a good movie in Spider-Man 3 even though I didn't like Spider-Man 3 itself.

The scene where Harry Osborn's eating pie at least is... so good.

Yeah, I don't think SM3 did anything *bad*, it's just way way WAY too crowded of a film.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I haven't seen Spider-Man 3 in 10 years, but I remember thinking it was good, a fine continuation of Spider-Man 2, for like the first half, but then took a hard turn off the rails. The tipping point was Bruce Campbell's scene.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, I don't think SM3 did anything *bad*, it's just way way WAY too crowded of a film.
Doing a retcon where Sandman is responsible for Uncle Ben’s death is completely missing the point

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

From what I read previously cut segments were re-inserted to pad out the run time to cover the missing MJ sequences.

Wasn't there also a whole subplot about Peter's dad (up to and including his dad being alive and showing up at the end) that was also cut out of the movie?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FlamingLiberal posted:

Doing a retcon where Sandman is responsible for Uncle Ben’s death is completely missing the point

I agree. As much as I would rather execs keep out of creative processes, there is a part of me that wishes Raimi had just done the Venom movie they told him to do. I would've taken that over forcing Venom into the movie he already had in his head.

teagone posted:

I dunno, I've never quite loved the train sequence as much as everyone else. It's cool, but I don't think it's any better than the boat in Homecoming. I also think the New Yorker Pride with the little kids thing is very corny and I kinda hate whenever Spidey is unmaksed. I know movies demand it, but it's in the tier right under Bat Bullets.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jamesman posted:

Wasn't there also a whole subplot about Peter's dad (up to and including his dad being alive and showing up at the end) that was also cut out of the movie?

Everyone knows no one cares about peters parents, but Miles parents on the other hand

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Yes, and they not only put it on the DVD but I distinctly remember seeing ads that emphasized this as if anyone gives a poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm also glad we didn't get some weird Spider-Man 4 where John Malcovich was Vulture and Anne Hathaway was his daughter/a female Vulture. The Homecoming version of Vulture was the best way to do that character. You just know that Raimi would have kept the Vulture close to his original appearance and not updated much.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah but... Malkovich vulture? I'm willing to forgive a lot for that

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The way Mary Jane is in the Raimi movies just ruins them. Dunst is making the best of it, but she is literally the worst character. All she does is exist to be lusted after by Peter, and any of her storylines that don't involve getting kidnapped smack of bad writers thinking they need "something for the ladies" in an action movie. God I barely remember what she does in 2.

Over all i find the Raimi ones don't hold up that well. There's good and even great stuff in it, with Molina and Simmons being real stand outs (even though Doc Ocks origin is just really silly, even for comic books).

I heard a rumor Ernie Hudson could be JJJ in Spider-Man SATs, which would be pretty cool, but i doubt anyone could ever match Jk Simmons.

Malkovich would have probably been in the movie for 2 minutes before passing his torch onto his daughter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

The way Mary Jane is in the Raimi movies just ruins them. Dunst is making the best of it, but she is literally the worst character. All she does is exist to be lusted after by Peter, and any of her storylines that don't involve getting kidnapped smack of bad writers thinking they need "something for the ladies" in an action movie. God I barely remember what she does in 2.

She almost marries a guy she doesn't love out of spite because communicating with people is unromantic.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lurdiak posted:

She almost marries a guy she doesn't love out of spite because communicating with people is unromantic.

She yells at Peter for missing her play, and he just sorta takes it, despite having an easy Spider-free excuse in the form of "a speeding car hit my scooter on the way there, I almost died."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Then they actually pull the "somehow I always knew, even though we had dozens of scenes where the tension was that you didn't want me to know" card.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember being confused by the bit where she does the upside-down kiss with John Jameson. Did she think he was Spider-Man or did she just want to compare upside-down kissing ability?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
She wanted to see if kissing her fiance had the same magic as kissing a masked stranger that just saved her from being gangraped.

It didn't.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

This should go in the OP, maybe even the title.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'd post her paper but it's $19 on JSTOR.

Here's the beginning.

Way to not make me not wanna read the rest, teacher lady.

At least give me a little of that sizzling Zizek

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was there a new Thor trailer or leak or something, I'm seeing some gifs from the movie I haven't seen yet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SonicRulez posted:

I agree. As much as I would rather execs keep out of creative processes, there is a part of me that wishes Raimi had just done the Venom movie they told him to do. I would've taken that over forcing Venom into the movie he already had in his head.

I dunno, I've never quite loved the train sequence as much as everyone else. It's cool, but I don't think it's any better than the boat in Homecoming. I also think the New Yorker Pride with the little kids thing is very corny and I kinda hate whenever Spidey is unmaksed. I know movies demand it, but it's in the tier right under Bat Bullets.

This is actually very true to Ultimate Peter Parker where basically everyone he fights in his first year or so manages to take off his mask and figure out who he is.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

fruit on the bottom posted:

This is actually very true to Ultimate Peter Parker where basically everyone he fights in his first year or so manages to take off his mask and figure out who he is.

And that's the Peter Parker that died. Coincidence? I think not!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rami's spider man movies are overrated. They're pretty good but nowhere near the masterpieces people make them out to be. They are far better than the ASM movies though.

I think they Rami movies are so highly regarded because there was an absolute truckload of lovely comic book movies from 2000-2005, so having a good movie made people think it was better than it actually was.

Edit- Simmons is the best casting in the history of comic book movies, no question.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first Raimi Spider-Man is absolute horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

The first Raimi Spider-Man is absolute horseshit.

It really hasn't aged well, but at the time it was definitely one of the best superhero movies we'd seen.

God, it's been 15 years since it came out.

• Locked thread