Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Cross-posting from the "show new stuff" thread, I bought an Agile AD-201:

Plays great, no noticeable intonation problems from the bridge, and it sounds extremely rude. The neck pickup is insane, I was playing through Amplitube's JCM800 knockoff and it was basically making Electric Wizard sounds all on its own.
The picture is underselling the color a bit, it's an opaque gloss finish and vividly butter yellow. Tacky but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Any reason you guys can see that this wouldn't make for a good guitar chair? https://www.amazon.com/Boss-Office-Products-B1615-BK-Ergonomic/dp/B002FL3LT4/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spatulater bro! posted:

Any reason you guys can see that this wouldn't make for a good guitar chair? https://www.amazon.com/Boss-Office-Products-B1615-BK-Ergonomic/dp/B002FL3LT4/

Those are rreally good for that purpose, if a tad bit sproingy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So I just put the wilkinson ez-loks on my project guitar - easy enough and stringing is faster, can't say anything about stability yet

I also put on some rotosound 12 gauge and I'm in love

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Anime Reference posted:

The neck pickup is insane, I was playing through Amplitube's JCM800 knockoff and it was basically making Electric Wizard sounds all on its own.

Proof: http://picosong.com/w38Er/
Side note: Amplitube's built-in noise gate is not very good. Definitely not up to the challenge of the EMI hellscape that is sitting in front of a computer, at any rate.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

So I just put the wilkinson ez-loks on my project guitar - easy enough and stringing is faster, can't say anything about stability yet

i have a cheap ltd viper with ez-loks that i'd left in climate controlled storage for about a year and a half and the tuning only drifted by about 15-20 cent

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

Proof: http://picosong.com/w38Er/
Side note: Amplitube's built-in noise gate is not very good. Definitely not up to the challenge of the EMI hellscape that is sitting in front of a computer, at any rate.

That sounds loving awesome. Tuned to B Standard? What settings did you use? Whenever I use the JCM800 model I generally turn reverb off, crank gain and volume and leave everything else at 12.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Played one of these today:

Sounded pretty good. Would probably swap in something else in the bridge but I liked the center-detente pickup "mixer" knob and the neck pickup was a honker. I didn't care for the "flattened-C" neck shape when I'm used to the old normal C, but that is a pretty subjective thing.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

syntaxfunction posted:

That sounds loving awesome. Tuned to B Standard? What settings did you use? Whenever I use the JCM800 model I generally turn reverb off, crank gain and volume and leave everything else at 12.

Thanks! It's E standard, and I was using "Vintage Metal Lead" which is apparently based on the Marshall JMP100. Gain was up to 10, everything else was whatever it defaults to. The noise gate and reverb are both plugins (MDA Dynamics and TAL Reverb 4). No other effects.
Vintage Metal Lead has really grown on me. Playing old punk and hardcore songs through it is a hoot.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Played one of these today:

Sounded pretty good. Would probably swap in something else in the bridge but I liked the center-detente pickup "mixer" knob and the neck pickup was a honker. I didn't care for the "flattened-C" neck shape when I'm used to the old normal C, but that is a pretty subjective thing.

Everything about this offends my sensibilities.

I loving love it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What on earth is it? Is it actually a Fender or are those just Fender parts?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

What on earth is it? Is it actually a Fender or are those just Fender parts?

http://www2.fender.com/experience/fender-tone/fender-introduces-pawn-shop-series-guitars/

Fender “Pawn Shop” line

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'd like some outside perspective. I'm trying to prioritise my guitar spending, as I have limited funds and many wants. I currently have three major wants.

1. Locking tuners for my G&L Ascari (AUD$170): One of the big things turning me off playing this guitar that I love so much is that, for me, string changes take forever and are a fiddly pain. Once it's change I play the poo poo out of it. I just hate actually changing strings, especially since I got my Reverend with locking tuners.

2. PSU for my pedalboard (AUD$120): I had a power supply that I donated to my bassist for a couple reasons. First, he uses the poo poo out of pedals and already has a pretty packed board, so getting him off batteries was kinda important. Second, all my pedals bar the Boss DD-3 I stole from him (he bought a Flashback 2) are dirt pedals. Crayon, Muff, Shockwave, Bad Monkey. They're awesome and I love messing with them but 90% of my dirt playing I use my amp's lead channel anyway. But I do really want to get a replacement PSU so I can actually use the pedals I own.

3. Complete upgrade for my SGR Schecter 006 (AUD$300ish): My 006 (seen here) was my first "real guitar". I had an acoustic but my heart was in electric. Guitar has been completely self-funded and not really encouraged by my family, so buying an electric and amp was a big step for me. It plays surprisingly well, but the cheap hardware and electronics are showing. My plan is to GFS pretty much everything. The guitar cost me AUD$250 new, and I'm looking to dump AUD$300 or so into it (including shipping and all that). I really want it to be playable again, specifically so I can chuck 12-60s on it and keep it in B.

So those are my three top priority guitar needs/wants. I've listed them in order of my current preference, but I'd like people's opinions/justifications for changing the order.

I've also been looking at cheap guitars (because I have a soft spot for cheap but well made guitars) but I've promised myself no new guitars until I fix the Ascari and 006.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Do your pedals really need more than a 1Spot and a daisy chain?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If I want to learn how to solder guitar stuff/maybe build a DIY pedal at some point, do I need anything special, or will a $20 Walmart beginner kit work?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I found a good use for my Zoom H6 - it works surprisingly well as an amp mic. I was putting together a draft of a new song because my trio has a gig coming up with no time to rehearse and I wanted the other guys to hear the tune so I put a drumgenius loop into my Boss RC-300 looper, recorded a quick bass part and plugged that into the first amp channel, plugged the guitar into the second amp channel and put the H6 in front of the amp. I have had good results with the recorder live but playing at a fairly quiet volume at home with everything through one amp and just the H6 in front of it is a really nice option now that I know it works well. I have used other small recorders in front of amps and have found it to sound sterile and I was expecting that so I was surprised.

There is a little clipping because I did this quickly but here it is if you want to hear the sound quality. There are some things where I think that my high school self would be very impressed and it feels like living in the future - back then I had a high end portable cassette recorder that I plugged a stereo mic into so having this tiny 6 track recorder with essentially infinite recording time and changeable mic capsules is one of those “I’m in the future” moments to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm45fjYwcWE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lester Shy posted:

If I want to learn how to solder guitar stuff/maybe build a DIY pedal at some point, do I need anything special, or will a $20 Walmart beginner kit work?

You don’t need to spend a ton of money but it’s important you get a soldering Iron that gets properly hot like:

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC/

From there get some leaded solder (lead-free will drive you nuts until you get better at soldering), wire strippers and 24 gauge gauge wire (I use different colors for positive, ground, input and output).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Do your pedals really need more than a 1Spot and a daisy chain?

Right now, no not really. I already have a boss power adapter that will do 500mA, and a daisy chain is like $12. It's on the list for future upgrades. Like, when I get around to fulling kitting out my board I'd rather have a proper PSU. But yeah, a daisy chain is a pretty cheap stop gap solution.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lester Shy posted:

If you're at all serious about it i heavily suggest getting a weller soldering station off amazon for like $80 or whatever. You'll use the crappy Walmart soldering iron once then the tip will oxidize and be useless for the next time you solder.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Cannot over-emphasize the need to be able to control iron temperature.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc

2: i have done both a daisy chain and isolated power board and unless you're using high end boutique or vintage pedals that are temperamental with the power they need it's more of nice to have thing over a must have

3: a few years ago i upgraded the pickups/electronics in my MIM strat (that was my first guitar as well) and holy poo poo you cannot pry that guitar out of hands now, but before you do any upgrades make sure that the base guitar is worth upgrading (no defects in the woodworking)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51...ldering+station

This is pretty much the be all end all of stations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51...ldering+station

This is pretty much the be all end all of stations.

That one is super nice. I have this and it works well for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

Skip the $20 one for sure.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anyone with Yamaha acoustics, I'm tossing up between bang for the buck FS OO size or LL16 solid with a pickup, is it worth the extra expense?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Gringostar posted:

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc

2: i have done both a daisy chain and isolated power board and unless you're using high end boutique or vintage pedals that are temperamental with the power they need it's more of nice to have thing over a must have

3: a few years ago i upgraded the pickups/electronics in my MIM strat (that was my first guitar as well) and holy poo poo you cannot pry that guitar out of hands now, but before you do any upgrades make sure that the base guitar is worth upgrading (no defects in the woodworking)

I actually learned how to string my guitars using that video but I guess I didn't pay enough attention! I always have a problem of the string trying to wrap on top of itself, and was always fiddly. First time seeing that video in person and I notice he's holding it down at the nut, which I hadn't caught. I guess I'll try that? I still do want locking tuners though, just because it's still the lazier solution.

As I mentioned I did have a proper power supply but donated it to my buddy. My pedalboard is still set up to pop a replacement in. Although, a daisy chain and some patch cables (which I also need) would run like $25, so really not bad to get me up and running. Maybe I'll go that way and when I need more power I'll get the power supply.

The Schecter plays really well and feels super solid. I still have fun playing it when I do actually string and play it. But the knobs are wonky, the tuners are meh and like to jump and other little bits. My goal is to put in a bunch of GFS gear into it and be done with it and finally have a guitar I can keep in a low tuning. Sentimental or not, it plays surprisingly well for a $250 guitar.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Crosspost from the "new gear" thread. Just got this Breedlove Stage Concert after being without a decent acoustic for a couple of years. Had a Taylor 714CE that I had to sell during a divorce (and miss it more than the wife HAR HAR HAR). Plays well and is a couple grand cheaper than the Taylor so no complaints.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What do you guys think of this? I wasn't planning to get another guitar so soon but that's a hell of a deal if the neck repair is as solid as they claim.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anime Reference posted:

What do you guys think of this? I wasn't planning to get another guitar so soon but that's a hell of a deal if the neck repair is as solid as they claim.

Don't get it. You don't need another budget priced guitar if you already have one. Save up and buy a reverend or a Gibson LP Jr. instead of a cheap knockoff.

Unless your goal is to own a lot of barely decent guitars.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Anyone have one of the PRS SE 277 baritones? Was pretty meh about it until I saw that Sweetwater had it in matte black, and suddenly it's incredibly tempting.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

I played the Bigsby loaded Revstar and I rather enjoyed it. However it was one of the higher end models, priced at AUD$1200 (~US$940). Like I said, I thought it was good but I'm not floored by the basic models.

Honestly I thought it'd be a Reverend Sensei knockoff, but they don't feel similar at all. The Revstar feels smaller and has a much thinner neck. It also felt lighter than my Reverend (which is not a heavy guitar!). If I didn't have my Reverend and someone gave me AUD$1200 to buy a new guitar, I'd still honestly get the Sensei over the Revstar. Having said that, what you're linking isn't in that price range. I haven't had a chance to play the lower end stuff but I would take it they'd be decent quality as Yamaha always makes good stuff.

I don't know. I love cheap guitars, but the only reason I even played the Revstar I did was because it was fairly well featured (genuine Bigsby, locking tuners standard, etc). Take away the bits from it and I don't know if it's really any better than other guitars in the price range. Certainly not bad, but not spectacular either. The one you linked is ~$250, which is roughly half what they go for new here. Which is pretty good, but I wouldn't really want to gamble it on a guitar that had a broken neck.

Basically, I like the Revstar range, they play really well, but I wouldn't trust a repaired one. For AUD$100 (US$80) more you can get something like this or this.

But yeah also what magnificent7 said. If you really want a Revstar I'd save and get one of the nicer ones. The higher end ones are good.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Despite the advice here to suck it up with my 9# Telecaster, I'm leaning toward getting an offset. I got to play the VM Jaguar and JMJM this weekend, both of which were pretty cool, but kind of dig the 24" scale. I know there's the Xaviere JT100 and Duosonic/Mustang, but are there any other offsets to consider? (I think budget-friendly is the way to go for now)

Also, do the Jag and JM take Strat necks? Would it be relatively easy to go from one scale to another?

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 23, 2017

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

nitsuga posted:

Despite the advice here to suck it up with my 9# Telecaster, I'm leaning toward getting an offset. I got to play the VM Jaguar and JMJM this weekend, both of which were pretty cool, but kind of dig the 24" scale. I know there's the Xaviere JT100 and Duosonic/Mustang, but are there any other offsets to consider?

Also, do the Jag and JM take Strat necks? Would it be relatively easy to go from one scale to another?

Not sure about the JM (though I think it would work?) but the jag needs a jag neck, because of the scale length.

For switching between scale lengths, I honestly never notice the difference between my jag and other guitars, except that some things are easier or more difficult to play. You've already learned to account for changing fret widths just playing up the neck.

edit: If you mean changing a jag to take a strat scale length, don't even think about it. JMs and strats have the same scale, start there.

Extortionist fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 23, 2017

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Gots biggsfix for my wildkat’s b7. Trip report; plays much smoother and stays in tune ez now. Good purchase that definitely makes a B7 on a mid range instrument tolerable.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Anime Reference posted:

should i buy this

thread posted:

no
OK, I'll pass on it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Extortionist posted:

Not sure about the JM (though I think it would work?) but the jag needs a jag neck, because of the scale length.

For switching between scale lengths, I honestly never notice the difference between my jag and other guitars, except that some things are easier or more difficult to play. You've already learned to account for changing fret widths just playing up the neck.

edit: If you mean changing a jag to take a strat scale length, don't even think about it. JMs and strats have the same scale, start there.

So changing scale length on any instrument is a no go (24" or 25.5", one way or the other)? This is more curiosity than anything. I've been playing a 25.5" for quite a while, so my muscle memory is probably more attuned to that.

What kind of Jaguar do you have? A Fender, by any chance?

Also, has anybody played a JT100 or Vintage Modified Jazzmaster? I'm not set on the traditional electronics, they're a bit confusing, but I could see them being fun to tinker with. I'd say the vibrato is a must though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nitsuga posted:

So changing scale length on any instrument is a no go (24" or 25.5", one way or the other)? This is more curiosity than anything.

you either need a conversion neck or move the bridge, and pickup routs if you want to keep the same relative pickup placement

afaik nobody makes a production 25.5 scale conversion neck for jaguars, so you'd be looking at a custom job

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I changed out pickups on my ES-135 yesterday, and splattered some solder on my glasses (just a teeny tiny dot).

Didn't see that til this morning. drat, I suppose it's a good thing I was wearing glasses.

#itllprobablyneverhappenitsworthrisking

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Nonsense, the eye is the perfect place for molten lead filled metal to go! :shepface:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

Anyone have one of the PRS SE 277 baritones? Was pretty meh about it until I saw that Sweetwater had it in matte black, and suddenly it's incredibly tempting.

Every time I watch Chords of Orion guy play his I start wanting one real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

nitsuga posted:

Also, has anybody played a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster? I'm not set on the traditional electronics, they're a bit confusing, but I could see them being fun to tinker with. I'd say the vibrato is a must though.

Yep! I have one, and it's literally just a switch to engage a separate tone circuit that makes mellow plonky jazz sounds.

It's fun to noodle with, but I haven't gotten any real use out of it. If I could up the treble then I'd be in plonky, fingerstyle business.