Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
They somehow managed to shoot an entire gun battle with the Saviour forces without ever showing the Saviours returning fire on camera once. That was bizarre.

Go through that battle shot by shot, and not once does it cut to a Saviour shooting a gun. They were shooting that whole thing on a real tight budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I noticed that too. The only part I can recall is bullets sparking off the RV but even then we don't see who is firing on it. During the whole battle you watch shot after shot of good guys firing out of cover and there is never the expected, predictable follow-up showing Savior's returning fire.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

If you nerds hate it so much, just stop watching and you don't have to hate anymore???

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

John F Bennett posted:

If you nerds hate it so much, just stop watching and you don't have to hate anymore???

It's fun to watch trash.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

big cummers ONLY posted:

I liked the 20 seconds of nothing happening, then the van blew up, then ten seconds of nothing happening

I've only seen s1 of ftwd, is it worth watching s2 or should I just skip to s3

S2 is really poor. It's messy and silly, in all the ways the parent show is, but it's watchable. s3's a vast improvement.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Walking Dead S8: If you nerds hate it so much, just stop watching and you don't have to hate anymore???

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
who the gently caress keeps scraeming "stop watching" at my house?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

If you look closely, there's two flashforward sequences. We see Old Man Rick and the Happy Days, then right after we see a shorter haired, shorter bearded Rick crying and emoting and staring at a piece of stained glass.

Either these are showing two possible futures, a happy one and a sad one where they lose and important people die, or one is showing a few years after they won, and the second is showing right after they won but Rick is having a sad because important people died.

I forgot all about the emoting Rick scenes the poo poo is just deliberately way too obtuse.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

The Walking Dead S8: If you nerds hate it so much, just stop watching and you don't have to hate anymore???

My hate for this show will endure long after I stop watching :colbert:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why was their plan to kill Negan but to not kill Negan directly? How many times does this approach have to backfire?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

I shouldn't give AMC such power for free, but I have constructed a small BASIC program to help them write the new season of TWD

10 a=1000
20 a=a-1
30 Print "We have to kill Negan"
40 Print "We can't kill Negan"
50 Print "*Puts gun to Negan's face*"
60 Print "We can't kill Negan"
70 if a>0 goto 20
80 if a=0 print "*Wet Fart*"
90 END

Hey look AMC accepted my script

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

This is a show where characters can dispatch zombies with one-handed pistol snapshots at 25yds, but they can't hit Negan or any of his people with a fusilade of rifle fire at about the same range.

Dramatic license and all that - yes I get it - but it starts to look so loving lame the fiftieth time.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So what's the poor beggar going to do? Maybe he'll be the one to kill Negan when he tries to open a can of beans and pulls a Jar Jar and causes Negan's world to fall down

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sulman posted:

This is a show where characters can dispatch zombies with one-handed pistol snapshots at 25yds, but they can't hit Negan or any of his people with a fusilade of rifle fire at about the same range.

Dramatic license and all that - yes I get it - but it starts to look so loving lame the fiftieth time.

Not only that but they JUST SHOWED US they had snipers that took out all of Negan's roof guards in a single motherfucking shot! Which means.. they had snipers up there. The whole time I was going "If this was a good show when Rick says 10, the snipers will blow everyone on the railing's head off at once."

It's like "Look at how good of a shot we are! Unless we shoot at Negan, which means we can't hit. So much so, we've just stopped shooting at him entirely."

I kind of want to dub FPS trash chat at the end with Rick suddenly being unable to hit Negan claiming hax

ED: Funny thing is I still don't have a problem with Negan as a character - what he says or does - it's entirely HOW he does it, putting himself in suicidal danger that people just don't.. use.. for some reason. Like a better show would have had that conversation over the radio, cutting back and forth between Negan deep in his facility, so you know.. they could talk without people wondering why you can't just shoot him.

I don't think AMC and CERTAINLY not the loving idiot writers and show runners there really get the problem with Negan isn't the character Negan, it's not JDM, it's horrible loving direction and the decision to stuff him situations that should leave him dead and have him escape only through the power of either "People won't take an easy shot" or "People can't make an easy shot." As a result we don't think of him as the man with a plan, we think "How the flying gently caress did this guy keep control of even one Goddamn person for more than a day?"

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 23, 2017

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

So now that this show hit the 100 episode syndication milestone can they finally end it?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boinks posted:

So now that this show hit the 100 episode syndication milestone can they finally end it?

Under the past show runner and with the planned crossovers I was actually really down with seeing Fear vs TWD as the final season. The season 3 show runner on Fear (again, this season kicked the poo poo out of the rest of Fear as a show AND the last like 6 seasons of TWD) absolutely was building Madison to be super-Negan. And frankly it'd be great if they continued that, and I doubt they will now that they fired the really good show runner and replaced him with the idiot who brought us tonight's bullshit.

Seriously though, I can pretty much say the Clark family is far more dangerous than the loving Saviors at this point. They will burn anything they touch to ash and poo poo.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

moist turtleneck posted:

Why was their plan to kill Negan but to not kill Negan directly? How many times does this approach have to backfire?

"No one has to die except him!" *Proceeds to kill two dozen grunts in cold blood and not kill him when he's just standing right there*

That said, I liked this episode and especially the making GBS threads pants line. gently caress you all.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tortuga posted:

That said, I liked this episode and especially the making GBS threads pants line. gently caress you all.

You know it just occurred to me the only character on the show that could have delivered that line and not have it be hilariously cringy would have been Abraham.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Phalanx out!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Only Daryl can save this show now

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Watching that assault on Negan's compound just felt so lackluster after watching the assault on the Dam in FTWD. I know it didn't help that I watched the first half on the buggy rear end AMC website and the second half on YouTube so I'm chalking some of the episode's incoherence to that, but did anyone else have a bit of trouble following what was going on after the bullets started flying? A lot of the shots looked like they were firing at nothing but the video was blurry/choppy. Please let that be the reason.
I want season 8 to be good SO BAD.
I've been telling people that the writers and producers had to have learned from their mistakes after getting ripped so hard in reviews and fan feedback and that season 8 should be one of the best seasons in the show. Please don't make me eat my words.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I am so glad AMC fired the show runner that made Fear the Walking Dead season 3 so good so it can be more like this. Their big assault made tactical sense, had tension and you didn't know what was going to happen... (for those that missed it, Fear actually improved like 2000% this season thanks to a guy AMC knocked off for the guy who is making GBS threads out proper WD).

They got a preview of season 3 and panicked. Executive 1: "GUYS WE HAVE A PROBLEM. We can't have the spinoff make the main show look stupid."
Executive 2: "Maybe we should fix the main show?"
Executive 1: "Don't be an idiot, hand the keys to the guy who ruined the first show so that people won't notice a difference in quality. That'll fool 'em"
Executive 2: "loving. Genius. *bong noises*"

Sulman posted:

Are we still slagging of FTWD? Because I hope even the most stalwart naysayers of TVIV can recognise that - for it's flaws - FTWD currently shits all over the parent show, which continues to be an utter loving embarrassment.

No, most of us (including people who hated the show before) agree that S3 of FTWD completely loving ethered S7 of TWD.

Tortuga posted:

My favorite line was "M'ask you somethin' Rick"
I actually really miss Shane.

Also I will admit I liked Shiva roaring in sync with Ezekiel's speech. I don't care how cheesy it was. I like everything about The Kingdom.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Sulman posted:

well they left carol, morgan, rosita and darryl doing bullshit jobs for some reason. rick just had a priest, a 15 year old girl and some redshirts who just picked up a gun for the first time

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know it drives me nuts there's so many good writers out there and this is what gets on TV.

I mean, if I was handling a scene with that setup, what I'd probably done is have all of Negan's dialogue spoken over loudspeaker, GREGORY being sent out ALL ALONE to quiet the crowd (and if not shot by the crowd sooner after, shot by Negan's men for failing), and then when Negan finally did make his re-appearance... it'd been with the RPG he took from Rick, taking out a lead car and several B list characters, and gone from there.

Maybe it's just me and some lovely ideas but am I the only one who thinks that'd been like, way more entertaining? It'd been a great callback to the fact he has a rocket launcher. Maybe Rick's crew could have been getting it's rear end kicked before the horde arrives even? You know, something exciting and reasonable?

Acacia REI posted:

No, most of us (including people who hated the show before) agree that S3 of FTWD completely loving ethered S7 of TWD.

I only watched Fear season 3 to hate watch it and rip it a new rear end in a top hat given how bad season 2 ended up, only to be completely on board by the 2nd episode and now believe it's one of the best seasons of the entire franchise. I was really looking to season 4 until I heard AMC did that lovely show runner replacement to make it conform to the garbage mold.

They'd run into Negan level threats there and resolve that poo poo in like 3 episodes. It was great. Selizar being on TWD proper would have basically canceled the last two seasons as he'd probably shot Negan, his Lt. and half the Captains when they got captured in the first place.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 23, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/o9FwfQc.gifv

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Acacia REI posted:

Watching that assault on Negan's compound just felt so lackluster after watching the assault on the Dam in FTWD. I know it didn't help that I watched the first half on the buggy rear end AMC website and the second half on YouTube so I'm chalking some of the episode's incoherence to that, but did anyone else have a bit of trouble following what was going on after the bullets started flying? A lot of the shots looked like they were firing at nothing but the video was blurry/choppy. Please let that be the reason.
I want season 8 to be good SO BAD.
I've been telling people that the writers and producers had to have learned from their mistakes after getting ripped so hard in reviews and fan feedback and that season 8 should be one of the best seasons in the show. Please don't make me eat my words.

It wasn't YouTube, it was the episode. They weren't shooting at anyone - they were shooting out the windows wildly, for some inexplicable reason. I assume some of it was to attract the zombies, but with the amount of people shooting (everyone) it looked like they were waging war against glass.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kelly posted:

It wasn't YouTube, it was the episode. They weren't shooting at anyone - they were shooting out the windows wildly, for some inexplicable reason. I assume some of it was to attract the zombies, but with the amount of people shooting (everyone) it looked like they were waging war against glass.

I need a better gif ripper because I totally want to mix that scene with the Predator one, and maybe all the windows breaking from Death Wish 3

Also if I recall there were a lot of just regular people in that building. Instead of shooting Negan they probably gunned down his harem or something.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Also, it just never showed once what was happening to Negan's people. Where did the 5 people standing in the open disappear off to when Rick opened fire. Did they all run inside except for Negan who decided to stay outside? Its just a really weird scene and theres no reason really why Negan's people wouldn't be returning fire in that situation.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why did Rick take a pic of the warehouse?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Blazing Ownager posted:

Under the past show runner and with the planned crossovers I was actually really down with seeing Fear vs TWD as the final season. The season 3 show runner on Fear (again, this season kicked the poo poo out of the rest of Fear as a show AND the last like 6 seasons of TWD) absolutely was building Madison to be super-Negan. And frankly it'd be great if they continued that, and I doubt they will now that they fired the really good show runner and replaced him with the idiot who brought us tonight's bullshit.

Seriously though, I can pretty much say the Clark family is far more dangerous than the loving Saviors at this point. They will burn anything they touch to ash and poo poo.

Stop saying FWD season 3 was good it was garbage just like the other two

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think he took a selfie of him and Gabriel.

Then he abandoned Gabriel and when asked later if he wanted to carry on waiting for Gabriel he just smiled and said "Nah, this isn't about me". It got a bit confusing in that patch.

Maybe Gabriel is secretly a cagefighting badass and the plan was to get him locked in a container with Negan all along?

Tortuga fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 23, 2017

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Blazing Ownager posted:

I need a better gif ripper because I totally want to mix that scene with the Predator one, and maybe all the windows breaking from Death Wish 3

Also if I recall there were a lot of just regular people in that building. Instead of shooting Negan they probably gunned down his harem or something.

Dwight specifically mentioned last season that there were lots of people in there who were oppressed under Negan and needed saving. So Rick's plan was to kill them all with either bullets or the zombie hoard. And, Jesus said they were going to get their doctor back - but they shot the place up and left the zombies to eat everyone.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

viral spiral posted:

It wasn't flawless and it sure is no Breaking Bad or peak Game of Thrones, but it was immensely loving better than anything else WD related in years.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tortuga posted:

Then he abandoned Gabriel and when asked later if he wanted to carry on waiting for Gabriel he just smiled and said "Nah, this isn't about me". It got a bit confusing in that patch.

Maybe Gabriel is secretly a cagefighting badass and the plan was to get him locked in a container with Negan all along?

In all seriousness if the next episode begins with "This calls for divine intervention! I kick rear end for the Lord!" and Negan getting the absolute poo poo beat out of him, A+ all is forgiven.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Can we make this the new thread title

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Tortuga posted:

I was hoping that the second time Negan opened his mouth that Gabriel would pull the trigger. The gun would be empty but Negan would stop mid-sentence and his expression immediately change from "cocky edgelord" to "pants-making GBS threads."

viral spiral posted:

It wasn't top shelf television but I still thought it was really entertaining and enjoyed it more than the last two seasons of TWD combined.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I mean, if I was handling a scene with that setup, what I'd probably done is have all of Negan's dialogue spoken over loudspeaker, GREGORY being sent out ALL ALONE to quiet the crowd (and if not shot by the crowd sooner after, shot by Negan's men for failing), and then when Negan finally did make his re-appearance... it'd been with the RPG he took from Rick, taking out a lead car and several B list characters, and gone from there.
See that would actually be highly entertaining.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 23, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
For real, if you skipped FTWD season 3 (or the whole thing entirely), it's actually a real surprise. The first 2 seasons might be worth watching to learn what not to do if you are ever given a tv show, but S3 absolutely shows how you can take something that's failing and really turn it around, and in a way that isn't totally disrespectful to what it came from. The characters don't change too much, but they slide just enough things around to make it start to click. Basically S3 is where I think the actors and crew could actually believe in the work they were doing, instead of just trying to do good enough to keep the garbage showrunners and writers off their butt til the next paycheck cleared.

So of course the new showrunner left, and they brought Gimple on because AMC might actively hate television.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Oh my god literally gently caress everyone responding to valid critiques of Negan's plot-armor with "well he's in the comics for a long time so they can't kill him off" or "So you think they should have just killed him in the premier?? That's dumb."

No. That's... not what we mean at all...

fjkdjgfkdsfjkdsj

(not talking about here, just in general)

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

JossiRossi posted:

For real, if you skipped FTWD season 3 (or the whole thing entirely), it's actually a real surprise. The first 2 seasons might be worth watching to learn what not to do if you are ever given a tv show, but S3 absolutely shows how you can take something that's failing and really turn it around, and in a way that isn't totally disrespectful to what it came from. The characters don't change too much, but they slide just enough things around to make it start to click. Basically S3 is where I think the actors and crew could actually believe in the work they were doing, instead of just trying to do good enough to keep the garbage showrunners and writers off their butt til the next paycheck cleared.

So of course the new showrunner left, and they brought Gimple on because AMC might actively hate television.

I’d rather do anything else than give a bad tv show a third shot like give a bad tv show an 8th shot

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why is Rick so old in the flash forward if the other characters are basically the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I stopped watching FTWD after the first season because it was abysmal, I think that's enough of TWD for me as well now.