Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mr Fronts posted:

Star Citizen: * Not actual game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That feel when the years of your lore will become present day years for launch

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Thoatse posted:

is this Legal? :ohdear:

good dogge

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

vyst posted:

That feel when the years of your lore will become present day years for launch

At this rate the lore will need lore

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Vmjh3ig.gifv

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Fluke is the Kleenex of multimeters. It's so ubiquitous that everyone just calls multimeters "flukes."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Latin Pheonix posted:

Folks, folks, folks!

Citizencon is in 4 days :dance:.

I’m so hyped I’m buying ten of everything!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

loving disgusting.

Looking forward to when karma catches up with him. I hear it’s hitting his actress wife kind of hard these days.

Don't be so hard on little Chris, he can probably barely tell what day it is most of the time

All the scorn should be saved for the hundreds of people that feed him the bullshit everyday "DONT WORRY CHRIS IT'S RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!" "OH YA EVERYTHING YOU'VE IMAGINED!!"

Just remember most of the employees are earning a decent wage, at least on par with industry standards, I'm sure in many cases people are making serious bank for having to do nothing other than warm a chair for 8 hours a day (lesnick)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

yakkety sax is playing in my head

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

For the record - I remember the hype around Privateer very well. It sounded like it was taking the lone pilot space trade combat game and adding more depth, more story, better graphics - it was going to be Elite except better in every single way. I remember the adverts in the print magazines for it and being excited for it.

Star Citizen is exactly the same thing all over again, it really is.

You realize coming up with these ideas is very hard. Chris Roberts can only have so many award winning genius ideas in a life time.

WW2 in space is very hard to pull off. Especially since your atmosphere is very 1940’s, but your hidden technology is space-age.

Like your people have guns that shoot bullets, and everybody hard loads cargo in crates, but inside the ship is liquid gravity. Nobody weaponized it though because they can’t advance outside of WW2 in space. So the gravity goo is taken for granted.

Chris Roberts is a visionary. If only he had programming talent to layer in the basic code on these ideas. He’s like a genius without a pen to write down all these ideas on.

I’m already looking forward to his next masterpiece. Which may be a space game in a highly advanced world but everybody in it is low tech, possibly like WW2 except in space.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SomethingJones posted:

For the record - I remember the hype around Privateer very well. It sounded like it was taking the lone pilot space trade combat game and adding more depth, more story, better graphics - it was going to be Elite except better in every single way.

As far as I'm concerned it was.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What's this liquid gravity bullshit?

Also, ban MoMA.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

McGiggins posted:

Also, ban MoMA.

In the 'verse, artificial gravity is provided by pumping gravity goo around in ships. And before you ask, no, no one at CIG has thought about the gameplay implications of that. They'll get around to that when they actually model the gravity goo, I guess

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Milky Moor posted:

I struggle to judge Wing Commander's gameplay as 'very well' in quality. It was a 'fun enough' kind of average. It was just a thing you did between cutscenes and it felt like the missions were as prompt as possible (visit these three waypoints, kill some enemies, come back). Although there were some genuinely interesting missions (like the one where you need to rescue Catscratch and scrub a vital mission in the process) but they were few and far between compared to other sci-fi sims.

When I went back and played it just a few years ago I was surprised at how average it was, and the many baffling decisions made in the game mechanics. Compared to TIE Fighter, Freespace and other contemporaries, it hasn't aged nearly as well.

This is true. Though even in the day it was just “ok”.

It featured branching missions, but it was so tedious that you probably would be hard pressed to beat it once, much less try to go back and choose a different option.

It was very solidly in the “play once” category; and this was even before there were 6 billion games on the market.

I also believe the best of them all was #2. I did best that one, and it had a slightly catchy story line. Ironically though I think #2 is the one CR didn’t gently caress with the story on. 3 was terrible and basically ruined all the interesting characters for no reason. 4 was very forgettable. The Prophecy stuff was horrible and I don’t think I even played them past a mission or two because it was just outright crap.

Your opinions may vary, but that’s ok. :)

And just to cover everything, #1 was pretty janky but colorful for its time. I don’t think it had a story beyond mission briefings but it was tough to play.

Also another critical thing to realize is that pretty much all of these games except Prophecy pretty much ran like poo poo unless you were rich and could dump 4K into a 486 or Pentium or something. Prophecy finally used a video card to play, so I remember it running ok. But all the rest were slide shows, and even the cutscenes would often be slow. Dog fights in asteroids were exercises in frustration.

Just to get the games to even run, you had to gently caress with drivers and junk. Sometimes you’d have some audio, sometimes you’d have your characters hand on screen because you got the memory right. Just getting them to work was a challenge.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

And if people are curious how far Freespace 2 has come due to the exceeding dedicated mod community... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=199DV_UY9Hc

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Mr Fronts posted:

Star Citizen: * No game

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

ComfyPants posted:

It's been a long time
Gettin' through year to year
It's been a long scam
And the cash flow's dryin' here

And you will see your dreams burn and crash at last
We will wave bye-bye
And we're not gonna refund you no more, and we're not gonna change our mind

Cause we've got faith in the TOS
The one that comes with 3-oh downloads
We've got faith to believe
You'll accept anything
We've got lan-guage inside, that says this is our MVP
And we'll flee from the courts
We've got faith
We've got faith
Faith in the TOS

You know, ST:E was severely underrated. I really liked Captain Archer and the vibe of new discovery by humans setting out into the galaxy for the first time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Milky Moor posted:

And if people are curious how far Freespace 2 has come due to the exceeding dedicated mod community... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=199DV_UY9Hc

This will be star citizens fate too, a gaggle of neckbeards finishing it up on linux or whatever it is they do

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

McGiggins posted:

Also, ban MoMA.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo please don't.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

You know, ST:E was severely underrated. I really liked Captain Archer and the vibe of new discovery by humans setting out into the galaxy for the first time.

if you're going to be this obvious with your trolling, it's no fun.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

This will be star citizens fate too, a gaggle of neckbeards finishing it up on linux or whatever it is they do

Need to spend extra on that on kind of stuff.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Well, there's giving the car a new coat of paint and actually needing to finish the chassis...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

reverend crabhands posted:

Ugh Pacific Rim 2!

Please don't be poo poo.

i too enjoyed the first PR, but god drat the trailer for number 2 has some really obnoxious decisions going on in it

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

A lot of Enterprise was poo poo (like the intro) but if you binge one of the seasons, I think the 3rd, it’s pretty cool as the ship just gets wrecked over the season and I think literally breaks its back.

It’s like the Year From Hell in Voyager except over multiple episodes.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sunswipe posted:

if you're going to be this obvious with your trolling, it's no fun.

No, really. I really liked ST:E. It was more raw than the other series. Discovery is shite - too SJW.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

OhDearGodNo posted:

A lot of Enterprise was poo poo (like the intro) but if you binge one of the seasons, I think the 3rd, it’s pretty cool as the ship just gets wrecked over the season and I think literally breaks its back.

It’s like the Year From Hell in Voyager except over multiple episodes.

I think it was absolutely crap what happened to Trip.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

tooterfish posted:

It's worth noting that none of a ship's cargo will be abstracted.

"All of the above use cases are built atop one requirement: the ability for the player to manipulate individual component items at will."

Every single container, and every single individual widget will have to save its state. How many objects will that be? Hundreds? Thousands? Who knows!

It's okay though, because they can serialise variables.

I mean just try to imagine what needs to happen just at the network packet-level when a theoretical Idris warps into the middle of a dogfight in a field of asteroids with 20 people on board all running around interacting with the ship and its objects, turrets rotating and firing physics objects while accelerating, 100 pieces of cargo with diiverse contents, snub fighters, a wing of 3 other ships which each have crew, cargo, all firing lazers/missiles/torpedoes/chainguns, doing damage, taking damage, all moving into and out of nested physics grids.. Imagine being that game server. I mean, it's loving laughably infeasible. It's hilariously ignorant and at the same time shockingly psychotic to even imply the poo poo Chris Roberts has unflinchingly committed to right in the face of the full weight of modern computational reality. But hey guys! HUNDREDS of people per server! seamless transitions! No loading screens!

CIG on the whole has proven themselves to be a dead organization, stuck in concrete, unable to deliver even mildly interesting fully faked bullshot presentations showing the tiniest incomplete slice of the scenario I just described. I can't really understand how CIG even exists at all, so perfect is their incompetence.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It gets even more fun when you consider that the jump from development to sustaining a product after you release is really loving hard and all of those grand goals you hoped to achieve once your product ships go out the window in favor of crushing bugs, maintaining the player base, addressing balance, and hundreds of other things that you have to address NOW because people are paying for your product and won't tolerate the kind of failures that define an Early Access product.

Awhile ago there was an interview with a developer from MWO who talked about it. I wish I could find the video; it was really good.

Part of the fact CIG has no sustainability plan for post release also helps it taste like a scam.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Toops posted:

I mean just try to imagine what needs to happen just at the network packet-level when a theoretical Idris warps into the middle of a dogfight in a field of asteroids with 20 people on board all running around interacting with the ship and its objects, turrets rotating and firing physics objects while accelerating, 100 pieces of cargo with diiverse contents, snub fighters, a wing of 3 other ships which each have crew, cargo, all firing lazers/missiles/torpedoes/chainguns, doing damage, taking damage, all moving into and out of nested physics grids.. Imagine being that game server. I mean, it's loving laughably infeasible. It's hilariously ignorant and at the same time shockingly psychotic to even imply the poo poo Chris Roberts has unflinchingly committed to right in the face of the full weight of modern computational reality. But hey guys! HUNDREDS of people per server! seamless transitions! No loading screens!

CIG on the whole has proven themselves to be a dead organization, stuck in concrete, unable to deliver even mildly interesting fully faked bullshot presentations showing the tiniest incomplete slice of the scenario I just described. I can't really understand how CIG even exists at all, so perfect is their incompetence.

Hey don't forget, the server will also be keeping track of everyone's facial expressions. It's a pretty big feature and the only new thing besides ship sales that they've shown in over a year, so I'm not really sure how it slipped your mind

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Toops posted:

:five: :five: :five:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

Well I for one would prefer to see delays and the game be up to Chris's vision than rushed and pushed out the door like you get with PUBLI$HERS and their lovely DLC ridden pieces of CRAP that no one wants or asked for gently caress arrrgh GRRRRR gently caress YOU ACTIVI$$$$$ION drat YOU ALL TO HELL

I’ve been thinking about this.

Really I think the best thing to happen would be for CIG to release 3.0, and immediately drop out and start a new kickstarter.

Honestly CR has so many good ideas that he shouldn’t limit himself for so long to just one. I bet the backers would take it well, and follow him to Part 2 of his road to continued riches.

They could even come up with awesome ideas about how he’s too genius to be held back, etc etc. it’d be great. :smuggo:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

I’ve been thinking about this.

Really I think the best thing to happen would be for CIG to release 3.0, and immediately drop out and start a new kickstarter.

Honestly CR has so many good ideas that he shouldn’t limit himself for so long to just one. I bet the backers would take it well, and follow him to Part 2 of his road to continued riches.

They could even come up with awesome ideas about how he’s too genius to be held back, etc etc. it’d be great. :smuggo:

Kickstart my new idea! To drive a brand new Porsche every (holds breath) 3 months!

WOW

Most people only dream of driving a new Porsche every 3 years

I said gently caress THOSE PEOPLE my vision simply looks further ahead than those peons... I want to drive a brand new Porsche every 3 months, and you folks can make it happen

Pledge now to join the ranks of other Citizens in my hit game ..... .wait, wrong line, what where am I? gently caress where is Sandi she loves doing these things

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Hey, Dragon Dildos don't QA themselves.

I’d do it. :shlick:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think it was absolutely crap what happened to Trip.

Nobody cares.

Tell us about the belt.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Morningwoodpecker posted:

But then Mr Manley would have had to ask you to get out of his chair.

No! This goes against my vision that Manley is a true gentleman. I bet he’d pull up another chair next to you and just keep on going without missing a beat.

:3:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, really. I really liked ST:E. It was more raw than the other series. Discovery is shite - too SJW.

oh toast

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beet Wagon posted:

lol I know people like to poo poo on Blizzard, but they just quietly launched their own Discord clone that runs in the launcher and is probably 100 times less stupid than Spectrum.

1. Launching an alternate discord in 2017 tied to your own stuff is still pretty dumb
2. Given the stories I've heard about the battle.net team, I actually don't know if it would be better

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

The Titanic posted:

loving disgusting.

Looking forward to when karma catches up with him. I hear it’s hitting his actress wife kind of hard these days.

I just want to finally see a photo of his patented dumb look with that half open mouth, as he stands in slippers and underwear outside his house looking at all 3 of his Porsches being impounded.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Reminder that that belt is already obsolete as the creators have a new one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1115468767/x3-edc-belt

:lol::lol::lol::lol: These guys do know their customers. "You aren't that big of a sucker, are you?"

Personally, I carry seven of those with me at all times.

For some read the guy is looking like he’s about to draw his camera and pop off a few rounds pictures.

I’m sure they did that on purpose though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

uhhhh if I don't have a carabiner on my belt, where am I supposed to attach my multitool and Nalgene bottle and my extending self defense baton?

This is why women use purses. We can just Penn and Teller a machine gun in there along with not only a carabiner, but an entire supply of Everest grade rope, prepared for the event of a sudden apocalypse happening at the office and I need to vertically harpoon my way out of danger while also fending off attackers.