Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don't want to make a post that's just 100 repeating thunks so picture this post as 100 repeating thunks as you read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Someone in here not too long ago argued something really weird w/r/t the number of viable decks in Modern. Was it that Modern wasn't really diverse because the decks weren't really different, or that there were too many decks that needed narrow sideboard answers to survive, or what?

The biggest flaw with modern imo is there's a lot powerful decks but they all have a different axis of interaction. burn only cares about your life total, storm only cares about their hand, tron only cares about their lands etc. etc. If you're slower than your opponent and can't interact with the things they care about, then you're extremely unfavored game 1. This leads to a lot of lopsided matchups but fortunately the format is extremely diverse so you won't run into those lopsided matchups very often.

Sickening posted:

A pro was bitching about modern having too many decks and you can't sideboard against them all. I say boo loving hoo.

The real reason pros hate modern is the big testing teams can't get a competitive advantage against people who just play the format constantly. Some random who's played living end for the last four years is going to know the matchup better than them and that's simply unacceptable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Yeah this take was too hot

Modern is fine, it just needs more cheap interaction spells and other interesting non-creature ways to play the game

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Modern needs counterspell and wasteland

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Modern needs counterspell and wasteland

I think Force would be better for Modern than Counterspell

I want them to print 1U counter target spell with CMC 4 or less but I don't know that they'll ever do that

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why do you have to find something else? The deck did well and will be tried out for a week or two and then die down, people aren't going to want to buy vials and caverns for that one deck if they didn't already have them, and if they did why does that mean you can't play anymore?

Bad players like to play rogue decks because it's a release valve that excuses how bad they are. "Sure I might have gone 2-4 but *extremely Sinatra voice* I did it myyyyyyy waaaaaaay"

Now that the deck has been established as Actually Good they have no excuse to be losing with that deck, so they get mad because they no longer have any Brew Cred. Also people might start sideboarding against them and then they go 1-5 next time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think Force would be better for Modern than Counterspell

I want them to print 1U counter target spell with CMC 4 or less but I don't know that they'll ever do that

Hell, I'd be ok with UU counter target spell 4cmc or less. It'd still be crazy good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

jassi007 posted:

Hell, I'd be ok with UU counter target spell 4cmc or less. It'd still be crazy good.

Isn't mana leak essentially this in 90% of modern games?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You don't want Force in Modern with storm....

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

Not when you really need it to be.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
All of those counterspell ideas are super marginal upgrades to logic knot.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

Lol

Someone post the chart of modern deck finishes over time

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Not when you really need it to be.

Yeah, I guess something like a late-game removal spell off the top is going to get successfully cast into a Mana Leak no matter what.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wonder how many decks in Modern just flat-out couldn't be configured to beat two Wastelands.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder how many decks in Modern just flat-out couldn't be configured to beat two Wastelands.

A lot

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Print Flusterstorm in a modern legal set.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Print Flusterstorm in a modern legal set.

Flusterstorm is too good for Modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Flusterstorm is too good for Modern.

What? How?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Powerful cards are more fun to play with than less powerful cards

In a vacuum, this is true, lord knows Carnage Tyrant is a lot more fun than Colossal Dreadmaw. But you have to consider the effects of powerful cards on the ability to play a game. No one could meld poo poo in when Eldritch Moon came out because Bant Coco was a hideous mixture of good cards producing too much advantage. Aetherworks Marvel and Smuggler's Copter are good cards - too good. Bans don't happen to weak cards, after all.

It also affects what kinds of games can be played. The existence of a deck like Infect in Modern means you have to go fairly fast lest their ability to make a Glistener Elf swell to ten times its normal size and instantly destroy you before you can finish saying "Nani!?" Delver decks in Legacy plant one really efficient threat and then disrupt the gently caress out of you with cheap/free counters and wasteland, meaning you have to have the kind of gameplan that can withstand your poo poo getting smacked around that much, which, as it turns out, isn't a lot. That's a lot stronger than Standard, but maybe people don't want to play games that can very well effectively end on turn 4 because you just ran out of lands to get blown up and you're 12 life behind from one loving bug dude.

I mean, maybe someone wants to be able to cast Carnage Tyrant without fear they will never, ever hit 6 mana, ever?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Modern is cool and good IMO but I only get to play it once or twice a month which maybe keeps it feeling fresher in my mind than it actually is. I can't imagine doing it multiple times a week without rotating between different decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's too good as protection for combo decks.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

ShaneB posted:

No. Tron is a deck, (though i've caught greedy tron players with their perfect turn 3 tron setup before with it) and hard control decks that want Counterspell want the game to go on long enough that decks start being able to pay the tax. Mana Leak is only playable in decks that have some way to close out the game quickly once they stick a threat, and need to protect that threat or just slow down the opponent long enough for them to what they need too.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

So I've been kicking around a thought experiment for a few weeks about counterspells.
What kind of additional downside or conditionality would a {U/P} {U/P} counterspell have to have?
{U/P} {U/P} "Counter target spell with cost 4 or less" is probably still too good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TVsVeryOwn posted:

So I've been kicking around a thought experiment for a few weeks about counterspells.
What kind of additional downside or conditionality would a {U/P} {U/P} counterspell have to have?
{U/P} {U/P} "Counter target spell with cost 4 or less" is probably still too good.

I'd say at minimum discarding a card if you cast it without paying mana. Maybe a card for each mana you don't pay.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

TVsVeryOwn posted:

"Exile all other spells you control".

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TVsVeryOwn posted:

just so we're clear, this card is better than Force of Will

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
{U/P}{U/P} mental misstep might be fine because it would no longer be the best answer to itself. It might be that one-drops are too good to stop playing even with that in the format and it just makes life miserable instead of slowing the format down though

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Do you want it to be remotely playable? I feel that would jump the line from "utterly unplayable" to "broken" with no room in between depending on wording. It'd have to be conditional, and probably shouldn't be able to counter itself.

Maaaaaybe

"Counter target spell that wasn't cast from a player's hand. Draw a card."

"Counter target spell unless it's controller pays life equal to it's converted casting cost."

"Counter target creature, enchantment, artifact, or Planeswalker spell. It's controller reveals cards from the top of their deck until they reveal a card that shares a type with the countered spell and puts it onto the battlefield. Put the other revealed cards on the bottom of library in random order."

"As an additional cost to cast exile a blue card from your hand and pay 1 life. Counter target spell."

FWIW I think U{U/P} would likely be possible to balance.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Don't think they'd make a mega-polymorph counterspell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You don't want Force in Modern with storm....

this is uh, probably actually true

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Babylon Astronaut posted:

A drat shame.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I could see it if you can't hit your own spells with it

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I do too. There was that lovely removal spell from khans block that was similar.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PJOmega posted:

Narrower than Hank Hill's urethra.

quote:

"Counter target spell unless it's controller pays life equal to it's converted casting cost."

Bad punishers tend to be bad. This is no exception.

quote:

"Counter target creature, enchantment, artifact, or Planeswalker spell. It's controller reveals cards from the top of their deck until they reveal a card that shares a type with the countered spell and puts it onto the battlefield. Put the other revealed cards on the bottom of library in random order."

Tape "an opponent controls" clause to it, because otherwise you just created the weirdest loving polymorph that can't be answered with Swords.

quote:

"As an additional cost to cast exile a blue card from your hand and pay 1 life. Counter target spell."

Only if it cost 0. Or maybe if it cost about 5 with the free cast as an option, maybe?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Do you want it to be remotely playable? I feel that would jump the line from "utterly unplayable" to "broken" with no room in between depending on wording. It'd have to be conditional, and probably shouldn't be able to counter itself.

Maaaaaybe

FWIW I think U{U/P} would likely be possible to balance.

{u/p}{u/p}
Counter Target Spell
Skip your next two turns.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
So is Legacy the Best format? Asking for a degenerate High Tide playing friend.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I still think some cards could be unbanned in modern without killing diversity, but idk if it will happen

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

You could maybe make a {U/P}{U/P} Nix and it'd be ok I guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

I have the most fun playing Legacy. Standard is second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Cube, not close.

edit: Okay, I've never played Legacy aside from a goon tourny or two. But cube is sweet.