Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The only music i remember from Dark Souls is the Firelink shrine music, and i played 300+ hours of Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HenryEx posted:

The only music i remember from Dark Souls is the Firelink shrine music, and i played 300+ hours of Dark Souls

The Firelink Shrine had music?!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

smough & ornstein's pretty unforgettable. Mostly because of the brick wall that that boss is.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ah right I forgot about Sinister Opera Track 7.

Unreal_One posted:

You're, uh, kinda proving the point there, especially if that's your counter argument. Sounds like the incidental music to an all in slo-mo trailer for an action movie.

In retrospect that wasn't a great track to argue with.

ninjewtsu posted:

Both "dark souls has good music" and "it's 90% sinister opera music" are correct statements

I'll concede this. I think it's a masterfully composed soundtrack and writing it all off as "sinister opera," while not inaccurate as far as classifying it goes, does it a disservice I think. But to each his or her own.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

But to each his or her own.

Now you're getting it.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Now you're getting it.

Don't try to pull this when you're the one who made a pointless attack on his recommendation first and derailed the thread.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

You gently caress.

You loving gently caress.

Shitpost on my internet will you? gently caress you.

:argh:

Saintv77 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 23, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Thanks for chiming in and continuing the derail. Making fun of someone's taste is a little different from telling them they are objectively wrong yanno.

Anyway, there are loads of older games with excellent soundtracks too if you can stomach that. Most prominently the SNES squaresoft games.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 23, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thanks for chiming in and continuing the derail. Making fun of someone's taste is a little different from telling them they are objectively wrong yanno.

Anyway, there are loads of older games with excellent soundtracks too if you can stomach that. Most prominently the SNES squaresoft games.

Seiken Densetsu 3 has one of the prettiest game soundtracks from that era, and I highly recommend it!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm the guy that will usually go into options and turn the music off when I start a game for the first time so maybe my opinion isn't relevant, but the Sim City 4 soundtrack was flippin' sweet and I used to leave that game running in the background while I did other things just to listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I86TfGM2OIA

I unironically listen to this song on my way to work in the morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BBEZ_T_3OY

playlist of the whole soundtrack
Most of the SC4 soundtrack is on Spotify too in an album called SimCity 4

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 23, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oh poo poo, I forgot about the Endless games! Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 have some of the best music I've heard in a game.

Endless Space 2

Endless Legend

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 23, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I appreciate these recommendations! I picked Dragonfall on a whim and while I doubt I'd go listening to the music on its own it's a great fit for the game itself. I look forward to trying out some of these other ones, because lord knows I have most of the Steam catalog purchased but never installed.

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the Endless games! Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 have some of the best music I've heard in a game.

Endless Space 2

Endless Legend

Those are pretty great tracks! How is Endless Space 2 anyway? I put a fair bit of time into ES1 and nowhere near as much as I'd like into Endless Legend.

A lot of strategy games seem to have pretty good music, really.I guess it's the kind of thing you want to put some effort into if you're spending a bunch of time sitting there figuring out what you're going to do.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
ES2 is miles better than the first one. EL is the prefect 4x.

I think a big reason why the Endless games have such good music is that the tracks fit the races they represent SO WELL, it's absurd.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 24, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

personally i prefer ES1's soundtrack, though ES2 is certainly the better game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y-tnfIttsU&t=75s

(this is such a weird song in that it's the worst song on the soundtrack for like a minute and a half, and then becomes the best song on the soundtrack after that)

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 24, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

imo after playing ES1, ES2, and EL i came to the conclusion that i'm not actually that fond of playing any of them, but also i'm not sure i can enjoy any 4x that isn't age of wonders 3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Age of Wonders 3 doesn't share much in common with the Endless series, it's more of a loving HoMM clone.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah, that's why i don't like the endless series

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Endless Space Soundtrack is available at name-your-own-price: https://gameaudiofactory.bandcamp.com/album/endless-space-soundtrack

Endless Legend: https://gameaudiofactory.bandcamp.com/album/endless-legend-soundtrack

Others here at various prices: https://gameaudiofactory.bandcamp.com/

Also I assume it's better quality-wise to stream from bandcramp rather than listen to a transcoded YouTube thing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Games with great soundtracks? Motherfucking Stellaris, man. Fantastic mix of spacey synths and soaring orchestrations. Absolutely beautiful stuff, with loads of memorable melodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC7m0FEAfQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSKjyo6b6FM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0L38p9DUHQ

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Less a specific game rec and more just a general game music thing. This guy has a couple thousand tracks uploaded from a wide variety of games. Makes for some good listening.

For vocal stuff, there's Shadow Hearts, Halo, Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song, Panzer Dragoon, Beyond Good and Evil, Shadow of the Colossus, and the Tales games.

Honorable mentions include Touhou for the assload of remixes, Starcraft 1 for having a disgustingly good ost, but only like that one vocal track, and Sailing to the World, an album by Yasunori Mitsuda of songs he did for some obscure taiwanese game.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

If you're going to play a game for the music: Cuphead.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Nordick posted:

Games with great soundtracks? Motherfucking Stellaris, man. Fantastic mix of spacey synths and soaring orchestrations. Absolutely beautiful stuff, with loads of memorable melodies.

Endless and Stellaris soundtracks are on my regular playlist, they're so good.

Civ Beyond Earth and BE: Rising Tides are also excellent

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Radiant Historia on the DS has an incredible soundtrack

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
FTL has a great soundtrack.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Funktor posted:

FTL has a great soundtrack.

Yea it does

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm looking for a game with good writing that has multiple fleshed out (political?) factions the player has to choose between, like fallout new vegas. Any suggestions?

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 30, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

double nine posted:

I'm looking for a game with good writing that has multiple fleshed out (political?) factions the player has to choose between, like fallout new vegas. Any suggestions?

The Witcher series has great writing, and very rich and developed world full of political intrigue. You are able to sort of support certain factions over others in 2 and 3, but it isn't on the level of fallout.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

double nine posted:

I was going to bring up ELEX that just came out, but while it has distinct factions you choose between *good* writing isn't it's strength

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

double nine posted:

Tyranny, same writers as f:nv

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

Geneforge buddy

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

double nine posted:

Shin Megami Tensei?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

double nine posted:

You want to play the Witcher 3 if you haven't. Then maybe read the books. Then come back to the rest of my suggestions.

Other Obsidian Games:
Tyranny: The Big Bad has won, and you're his judge, jury, and executioner. You are in charge of bringing His Law to the newly conquered lands, but its interpretation is entirely up to you.
Alpha Protocol: You're a secret agent. After an operation goes bad, you wind up on the wrong side of your organization. Work your way back to where it all began through a branching, deeply responsive storyline and multiple endings.
KOTOR II: I'm sure you've heard of it.

Others:
Sunless Sea: A text based adventure game mixed with a 2D top down sailing/exploration game. Explore a bizarre Victorian London that was stolen and hidden underneath the Earth. Explore the titular Sunless Sea and talk to, trade with, and fight the bizarre. Align yourself with several different factions including London, the Mongols (who also had their city stolen and have been stuck down here longer than you), the immortal Presbyterate, and even more bizarre cults. A sort-of sequel/alternative version, Sunless Skies, is in development.
Mount and Blade: Warband: 5 different factions vying for the ancient imperial throne of Calradia. Start as a adventuring mercenary and work your way up to feudal lord and maybe even king. Not much in the way of story, but deep faction relationships and mods enhancing the diplomacy system let you make your own.
STALKER: Clear Sky: The jankiest of the STALKER series, it really comes into its own with the Faction War mod. Join any faction (each with their unique philosophies with regards to how they treat the Zone) and work to spread its influence. Or get the standalone STALKER Call of Chernobyl mod and play Faction Wars on that.
Way of the Samurai: Specifically recommending 3 and 4 on Steam. As a traveling ronin, you find yourself stuck in the middle of a town conflict. Play through the relatively short story multiple times, unlocking new equipment and seeing new endings depending on who you aligned yourself with.

Eh, Maybe:
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
A House of Many Doors: Sunless Sea but weirder and jankier and made by one guy.
Darkest Hour, Kaiserreich Mod: Bear with me--an alternate history WWII where Germany won WW1, prompting Syndicalists to take over Britain and France, British Royalty to take over Canada, Russia to remain Imperial, and various other weird poo poo. Even though it's a grand strategy, not 1st person game, it has a solid branching story told by an extensive network of events. Lead the US through a multi-faction civil war to determine the soul of America. Reclaim Britain for the Crown from across the sea. Lead Mongolia (yes, Mongolia) to global domination. Spread True Communism Now from France. Or lead Germany to its true destiny as ruler of all Europe without nasty Nazi stuff.
The Last Federation: no strong writing, but multiple factions. As a technologically advanced spaceship/agent, lead 6 or 7 warring planetary civilizations to achieve peace through whatever means necessary.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

double nine posted:

Alpha Protocol can't be recommended enough for this. The game play isn't the best, but it's the best political RPG I've ever seen.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cantorsdust posted:

Or get the standalone STALKER Call of Chernobyl mod and play Faction Wars on that.
What's this now? How well does it work?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Call of Chernobyl isn't standalone, you need Call of Pripyat to run it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

doctorfrog posted:

What's this now? How well does it work?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/warfare

I haven't used it personally, but the STALKER thread likes it a lot. You might ask around there.

Accordion Man posted:

Call of Chernobyl isn't standalone, you need Call of Pripyat to run it.

You're right. I meant that it has its own .exe and once installed you don't have to keep CoP installed.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Recommend me some games, folks. Any genre. Please just add a reason or two why you'd recommend it.

Obscurer games work better, of course. No one needs to repost something that's been said in the last few pages.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Caufman posted:

Recommend me some games, folks. Any genre. Please just add a reason or two why you'd recommend it.

Obscurer games work better, of course. No one needs to repost something that's been said in the last few pages.

Silent Storm. WW2 classic style X-Com with a full 3D world, brilliant cast of characters (my favourites are Scottish grenadier Rowdy and Russian sniper Zinaida) and a brilliant ballistics and damage system in WW2. Shoot through wooden floors to make holes or make Nazis fall to their death. Accidentally miss a Nazi with a rocket launcher and blow up a street full of civilians, loot loot loot! Also features a campaign where you play as the Abwehr and get up to shenanigans, but it's way harder.

Silent Storm Sentinels adds more characters and more loot, including outfits and the ability to sell and purchase gear. Instead of being either allied or axis, you're a part of a third faction who essentially fight the military wing of the WW2 Illuminati armed with tank pants and plasma cannons.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for something too fill the evolved shape hole in my heart 1 vs many type games where I can feel strong and capable and where losing feels like my fault not the games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Turtlicious posted:

Looking for something too fill the evolved shape hole in my heart 1 vs many type games where I can feel strong and capable and where losing feels like my fault not the games

Friday the 13th is a choice for 1 vs Many, but the best is still Space Station 13 once you get through its oddities. Probably the single best game for that, as it features a large number of modes so the nature of the threat can often be unknown. Strictly, it isn't a 1 vs Many but rather a Few vs Many. Sometimes, it's a squad of bad dudes who have to steal nuclear launch codes from the station. Sometimes it's a changeling that has to suck people's DNA. Sometimes it's a traitor who has to kill the captain, or a Wizard that must corrupt the station with bad magicks, or an ooze that is trying to eat the whole station, or a rogue AI. Entirely player driven. You'll feel strong and capable in the Mark Watney way - sciencing up mad solutions to dealing with other people or alternatively simply because you can turn into a hulking abomination that spits acid and crushes people. So good.