Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I tried to log into RPGnet to check out these posts and apparently I was permabanned at some point in the past six months for "goon trolling" despite never actually posting on the site.

I have officially received a more serious response from RPGnet moderators to an incident I don't even remember happening and can't find a record of than a person accused of raping an underaged girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Reene posted:

I tried to log into RPGnet to check out these posts and apparently I was permabanned at some point in the past six months for "goon trolling" despite never actually posting on the site.

Was it this?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'm kind of wondering what Onyx Path's take is going to be. Isn't Matt actual staff there, and not just a freelancer? At least with Morke, they were shot of him before any of this poo poo came to light.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This is, put plainly, a nonpunishment. McFarland voluntarily stepped down from moderating duties at the start of this so they're not even actually doing anything to him that he didn't say he was okay with. That's like dictating your own sentence at a criminal trial, it's not really a punishment because it imposes no hardship. A lack of any sort of a ban just sets a bad precedent and tells us that if you're in the industry then you can get away with any kind of gross behavior as long as nobody finds out immediately.

Same old from the conspiracy of silence and the old boy's club.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Reene posted:

I have officially received a more serious response from RPGnet moderators to an incident I don't even remember happening and can't find a record of than a person accused of raping an underaged girl.

What was your username?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Falstaff posted:

That's good, definitely says that Paizo dealt with that particular situation according to the wishes of the victim.

Doesn't change any of the other shade that's been thrown their way, though. In particular, Price's accusation that she was pressured into not speaking up too loudly about harassment in the industry.

ETA: Just occurred to me, wasn't a volunteer also injured by Bill Webb during this incident when he attempted to intervene? I guess I still don't understand how this didn't end with a convention ban, regardless.

I don't think it does say they dealt with it in accordance with the wishes of the victim at all.

Firstly, she's in the industry, with friends in the company concerned, so there's societal pressures involved.

Secondly there's nothing that says they couldn't have banned Bill Webb. Lisa Stevens 'no tolerance' approach claim would mean that, gently caress yes you ban someone who has sexually harassed someone at your convention (not to mention the totally not addressed issue of him assaulting a member of staff while drunk).

And likewise their 3 months to publish actually meaningful guidelines on harassment for their conventions.

So no, this is Paizo covering up, and the victim's statement makes clear what a farce the previous statement by Lisa Stevens is.

And, as others have said, while Jessica Price's experience is 2 years old, they also hosed up the handling of sexual harassment in the PFS, and published mechanised child abuse rules.

No addressing of the cover ups, no addressing of the PFS harassment, and a bullshit 'you can trust us' statement.

The biggest, most 'we are just covering up' issue, however, is locking the entire thing on their forums. No one gets to comment, no one gets to say anything, no discussion, no questions, no disagreements allowed.

Paizo care more about the appeartance of dong the right thing, than doing the right thing.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I use the same name here and there.

Kwyndig has the right of it; it's a non-response couched in a bunch of language that makes it look like this is them imposing a sanction when it was something he did voluntarily, and isn't a remotely proportional response to what he's accused of doing.

PST posted:

Paizo care more about the appeartance of dong the right thing, than doing the right thing.

Which is business as usual for Paizo, WOTC, and most other big industry folks, so...yeah.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Reene posted:

I use the same name here and there.

As far as I can tell, you're not banned; you're a registered user with 4 posts. Try clearing your cookies from the site...?

The reason why I'm confused is because we usually make it explicit why you're banned, with a record - an infraction notice - as to why it happened and an avenue for appeal. It sounds like you got none of that. Which is not the way that it should work.

Edit: If you're having trouble logging in, let me know and I'll give you an address to contact me with.

Cannibal Smiley fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 24, 2017

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

PST posted:

I don't think it does say they dealt with it in accordance with the wishes of the victim at all.

Yeah, I dunno... Broadly speaking you're right, which is why I was saying that in this one instance they handled it according to her wishes, rather than saying Paizo handles harassment in general well (since that's obviously not the case.)

Honestly, I get your heart is in the right place, and yeah BJ might just be saying what she is being pressured into saying/what's best for her career...

But part of believing victims is actually believing them when they say stuff. If a harassment victim says "Actually, this was handled exactly how I asked them to handle it," responding with "Well obviously that's not true" isn't a great look.

quote:

For the rest I 100% agree. In particular, I've suspected they care more about appearances since I heard about the Kingdom Death thing, and my suspicions have only grown since.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Falstaff posted:

Yeah, I dunno... Broadly speaking you're right, which is why I was saying that in this one instance they handled it according to her wishes.

Honestly, I get your heart is in the right place, and yeah BJ might just be saying what she is being pressured into saying/what's best for her career...

But part of believing victims is actually believing them when they say stuff. If a harassment victim says "Actually, this was handled exactly how I asked them to handle it," responding with "Well obviously that's not true" isn't a great look.

For the rest I 100% agree. In particular, I've suspected they care more about appearances since I heard about the Kingdom Death thing, and my suspicions have only grown since.

When X person has sexually harassed someone else, you don't let them slide on it. You don't have to involve the police if the victim doesn't want them involved and absolutely the victim has imput on what they want done about their attacker, but once again they have a duty of care towards other attendees, and future attendees of their conventions. And in this case, because of the alcohol and young children, the victim didn't want them kicked out (but who told them about the young children, how did they know about it - it's a reasonable assumption that this came up as a 'but if x then y' discussion) but that doesn't mean you allow the abusive fuckhead back ever again.

It's blatantly clear at this point that Paizo knew it happened, they were supposedly willing to call the police, and Lisa Stevens says they have a zero tolerance policy on this, except when it's a friend in the industry, when it doesn't count.

We also have the person who was assaulted while intervening, who presumably also didn't want to press charges because...

Paizo has a duty of care towards attendees at their conventions.

Their policies and procedures on handling these incidents are, blatantly, poo poo.

Whether the victim wanted to make a big deal of it, or make it public, or not, they could absolutely ban Bill Webb for his actions. They chose not to. Other conventions ban people, because that's what you do, it doesn't matter if the victim wants to press charges, or not, you have a duty of care to your customers, and future customers. Their convention policies are a bare nod towards the idea, and there is absolutely no guidelines on who to report issues to, how they will be handled, who will make decisions or all the other things conventions have been dealing with and improving on over the last decade.

They have continued this with perpetuating a culture of silence, shutting down discussion of the multiple incidents (not just the convention) on their forums.

PST fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 24, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

I'm kind of wondering what Onyx Path's take is going to be. Isn't Matt actual staff there, and not just a freelancer? At least with Morke, they were shot of him before any of this poo poo came to light.

The only ~employees~ of Onyx Path are Rich, and I think Ian? Maybe Rose was when she was line dev, but I doubt it now that she appears to be pulling back from non-personal projects.

There might be a list in their site that I can't check right now.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

LuiCypher posted:

This is the kind of behavior that you want to look for when people make gently caress-ups like the one you cited. It doesn't change the outcome, but at least the industry is now breaking even on the number of people who'll keep working at being decent (and not shitlers), instead of minus 2 two people. You're more than welcome to keep bringing him up for it, but just remember that everyone else is just as welcome to recognize his self-awareness and continuing work to make up for his mistake.
Except I was citing two gently caress ups which is why I always bring it up. A prominent game designer went from Evil Hat is cool and Fate is cool to Evil Hat's reputation as being diverse annoys me.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 24, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
You didn't actually cite anything, you just did your usual "Someone said something positive about Evil Hat, I must make vague allusions to how they're actually not good" schtick and let other people fill in the blanks.

...Also the 'prominent game designer' you're citing is Mark Diaz Truman who called Evil Hat out on diversity -in the middle of his 'my friend cussed out Zak S. and that makes him a bad person." post so, uh, yeah, kind of a big detail to leave out.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 24, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I literally know nothing about Evil Hat so it all went over my head.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Bee posted:

I don't know a ton about the WoD. Does anyone have a primer on Beast and what made it / its first draft so skeezy?

Kurieg does a great summation of Beast and his F&F write up is excellent, too, but the final version of Beast is terrible and creepy even divorced from all this stuff around Matt. The most satisfying way for beasts to feed is multiple sessions of physical and emotional abuse without killing a target. Beasts also have no reason do anything besides feed until they draw a hero, decimate the hero because heroes are terribly underpowered for primary antagonists (can't let people think they're worth playing instead), and going back to feeding on randos. The ultimate goal is to abuse people so successfully that they become a ~transcended abuse monster~ and get to fly off into the sunset. It's so repetitive, and I'd be disturbed by anyone that thinks of that as a fulfilling game.

So what are Beasts for then? Well apparently they're "excellent" for multi-splat games. They give/get feeding bonuses from helping out other WoD monsters and have some subtle ability that compels every other supernatural to instinctively like them. A kind of "Poochy" aura, if you will. It's a good thing they have that, too, because otherwise a Beast approached sensibly should be beyond "repellent" territory and into "instantly murder" if it revealed its true nature to another splat. Vampires would hate the way they stir up fear in humans and put everyone on edge. Werewolves would hate how all the abuse and pain they cause creates powerful negative spirits. Geists too, but for ghosts. Changelings would hate everything about them because they're entire thing is being abuse victims that escaped beings of pure abuse. Mages are human enough to be horrified by them. They're the polar opposite of everything Prometheans aspire to be. Meanwhile, Hunters are out raiding the armory for supplies as we speak. Demons.... actually hate them for "reasons", but that doesn't matter much since there's no reason a Demon and Beast would ever interact.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 24, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, for the Garou-style Werewolves at least, that's deep in Bane territory. Especially the whole 'soul goes hunting if you don't feed' bit, that's straight out of the Bane possession handbook.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Beast is nWoD/CoD, but it's not far off from how bad spirits operate in that setting, either

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"Certainly, what Frank Mentzer did was wrong, but you also have to understand that I find you very attractive. Idiot."

#killallmen

EDIT: Another person talking about Paizo's resistance to doing more to quash problems.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 24, 2017

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alan Kellogg/mythusmage is a pedophile by the way :eng101:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

Oh, cool. I thought he was just a regular piece of poo poo. The name seemed vaguely familiar for some reason.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

Oh, cool. I thought he was just a regular piece of poo poo. The name seemed vaguely familiar for some reason.

Yeah he's been a piece of poo poo all over this subject.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ettin posted:

He was such a creepy pedo that he managed to get thrown off of RPGsite - you know, that bastion of "free speech" that never, ever bans anyone.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Desiden posted:

Matt is a freelancer with OPP, not an employee.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

This is, put plainly, a nonpunishment. McFarland voluntarily stepped down from moderating duties at the start of this so they're not even actually doing anything to him that he didn't say he was okay with. That's like dictating your own sentence at a criminal trial, it's not really a punishment because it imposes no hardship. A lack of any sort of a ban just sets a bad precedent and tells us that if you're in the industry then you can get away with any kind of gross behavior as long as nobody finds out immediately.

Yeah, I pretty much finally removed rpg.net from bookmarks and suggestions altogether over this for these reasons. It's finally the final straw for me, although my usage had drastically scaled back over time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Kai Tave posted:

It really, really isn't. RPGnet moderation policy, and this isn't super-secret backstage stuff, is that in general stuff that happens off-forum isn't moderated for unless it's beyond the pale. One time some dude threatened to stalk someone to a convention and throw a bucket of dogshit on them. He did it on his livejournal or blog or whatever the gently caress people used back then, but he still got banned because seriously, gently caress that guy.

Oh hey, Jackalope. Writing up the Cliff's Notes posts on that dude was fun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

Ah man I had almost completely forgotten about Mythusmage.

What a piece of poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The worst thing in Beast was the example of play, where when the storyteller senses that a player is uncomfortable with the direction something's going and then uses this as a cue to double-down and push harder.

Beast's garbage pretend content aside, this was encouraging harmful real-life behavior. I've never seen anything like that in games.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can see that being good advice for, you know, spooky ghosts. Not literal goddamn abuse holy poo poo.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Nuns with Guns posted:

They give/get feeding bonuses from helping out other WoD monsters and have some subtle ability that compels every other supernatural to instinctively like them.

Wait what :stare:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Slimnoid posted:

Wait what :stare:

They can latch onto other supernaturals and sate their hunger by watching them hunt/feed. They can also give them a supernatural power boost and gain special powers by having a bond with a supernatural type.

Also they've got a special rule that makes it so that other supernaturals start out friendly when meeting them unless they have a compelling reason not to be.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Also they've got a special rule that makes it so that other supernaturals start out friendly when meeting them unless they have a compelling reason not to be.
And the game doesn't seem to acknowledge that literally every other splat, if they know what a Beast is, has an extremely compelling reason. EDIT: I mean, even knowing about this effect would be a compelling reason in itself, too.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Kurieg posted:

They can latch onto other supernaturals and sate their hunger by watching them hunt/feed. They can also give them a supernatural power boost and gain special powers by having a bond with a supernatural type.

The first part at least makes Beasts come off as the parasites they really are and I'm okay with that. Especially if you match them with truly heinous representatives of a particular splat and form a terrible bond. It can really sell Beasts as being absolutely awful creatures that nevertheless persevere through careful manipulation of others.

But the second part? Fuuuuck no. Just being around a Beast should be compelling reason to kill them unless your humanity-equivalent score is low enough to where you think "hmm, this guy's got some good ideas."

God, I hate this book even more now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know that RPGnet wants to make it their job to punish people for felonies that don't have anything to do with the site.

I mean, if someone tells the mods that a user is a convicted murderer posting about RPGs from jail, should that person be banned if they aren't actually causing problems on the site?

Like, that's not a trick question or anything: under what circumstances should RPGnet ban people from using the site because they are a generically bad person in ways that don't impact their forums posting at all?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So far, the victim has not spoken up as to whether they think this or is not enough, but I know they were in contact with the admins for this and have not been banned from speaking about it in any way.

The fact that it happens nearly two decades ago is a big factor, I think.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

So far, the victim has not spoken up as to whether they think this or is not enough, but I know they were in contact with the admins for this and have not been banned from speaking about it in any way.

The fact that it happens nearly two decades ago is a big factor, I think.

I don't think any of the people posting about it on RPGnet are claiming to be the victim themselves.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think any of the people posting about it on RPGnet are claiming to be the victim themselves.

Uh

you realize this was kicked off by Matt's victim speaking up there, right

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Uh

you realize this was kicked off by Matt's victim speaking up there, right

That person isn't claiming to be the victim; just to know about it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Did you get that straight from them? Because that was not at all how I read those posts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rand Brittain posted:

That person isn't claiming to be the victim; just to know about it.

The first post is written in a 3rd person "I have a friend" sort of way, the rest of them are all first person, talking about how she should have gone to the cops and what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The first post is written in a 3rd person "I have a friend" sort of way, the rest of them are all first person, talking about how she should have gone to the cops and what not.

It looks like it could go either way, upon re-reading the posts.

I guess I was factoring in some things I heard from other sources, so I can't really say.

• Locked thread