Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Yep. Well balanced ipas have been around for years for good reason. Deuchars has this lovely tannin like flavour, reminds me of tea, and it's only something like 3.5% so you can drink it all afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

i've always liked Alexander Keith's IPA, which is a mass-market beer that's been around in canada forever ("gimme a keets") and doesn't taste anything like a modern hop nuclear ipa. it's old enough that the cans still have a little explanation on the back of what an india pale ale is

it's probably nothing fancy but it's a good summer drinkin' beer for me. they also make a decent amber one
keith's is a piss trash brewery especially compared to literally anything else out of halifax

e: i mean i'm glad you like it and all but i also feel bad that you probably pay extra for it as a "premium" oop compared to anything closer to you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

every mass market brewery is a piss trash brewery that only makes terrible beer that no one drinks. everyone knows this. it's especially piss trash if they're located in your hometown

how they stay in business is a mystery :iiam:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

keith's is fine

i've had some truly awful beers from china, greece, thailand, and other places of similar renown, and keith's is nothing like those

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
yeah my main point is just that keith's is the worst beer in that city. might be better than others, but it's relatively bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't really get why people feel the need to point that out, though

it's the same as like, people telling you taco bell "isn't real mexican" food. like do you think i go to there because i want to have an exotic dining experience? because i miss my trip to michoacan and i want to feel like i'm back in latin america? because i believe the 15 year old in the back is a master chef? or just because it's designed to be inoffensive and appealing and that's what i'm in the mood for?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i liked the ipa fad in 2008 when it meant bars at home started selling sierra nevada, but have literally noticed no improvement in the nine years since

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i liked the ipa fad in 2008 when it meant bars at home started selling sierra nevada, but have literally noticed no improvement in the nine years since

Their Torpedo IPA is real nice.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i don't really get why people feel the need to point that out, though

it's the same as like, people telling you taco bell "isn't real mexican" food. like do you think i go to there because i want to have an exotic dining experience? because i miss my trip to michoacan and i want to feel like i'm back in latin america? because i believe the 15 year old in the back is a master chef? or just because it's designed to be inoffensive and appealing and that's what i'm in the mood for?
if you explicitly declare your taste for taco bell why would you begrudge someone from declaring their distaste?

keith's is a bit of a special example to me because it's marketed as being NOVA SCOTIA BREWERY and being one of north america's oldest brewers. well halifax has lots of breweries and if you like beer maybe it's good to know and act on that. that's a factor that isn't present in coors or rickards or w/e

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

if i waxed poetic about really enjoying a crisp refreshing sam adams i'm sure i'd get some boston yosposer telling me i'm a basic bitch and they'd probably be right to do so and if i really meant it their comments wouldn't affect my enjoyment anyway

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kenny Logins posted:

if i waxed poetic about really enjoying a crisp refreshing sam adams i'm sure i'd get some boston yosposer telling me i'm a basic bitch and they'd probably be right to do so and if i really meant it their comments wouldn't affect my enjoyment anyway

Except that their noble pils is really good though, actually?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

easy to be snobbish about the boston beer company, but they were trailblazers and still make good beer. the average microbrewer can only hope to walk the line between decent quality and affordable mass production as well

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'll have a samuel jackson

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah my main point is just that keith's is the worst beer in that city. might be better than others, but it's relatively bad

you spelled Oland wrong

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

OldAlias posted:

you spelled Oland wrong
i thought that was owned by moosehead (also yuck) but what do you know

apparently keith's is brewed at olands brewery as well so close enough

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Allagash is prob the best of Maine's larger brewers.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the old maine brew i've had is sea dog/shipyard and sebago and they were all peachy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sebagos not bad and they got a place right next to my work. not really a fan of shipyard but people love that pumpkin head

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i only really drank sea dogs at their brewpubs in bangor and scarborough. sebago has one in scarborough though too, among other good dining options (portland pie, etc)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

sebagos not bad and they got a place right next to my work. not really a fan of shipyard but people love that pumpkin head

red hook is way better than shipyard

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

red hook is way better than shipyard
I've had red hook, and it's good, but that was in Portsmouth NH (via cafe nostimo) and I thought it was based there.

the Portsmouth brewery in old Portsmouth is also good but wasn't particularly great, similar to sea dog for me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

that's one thing i miss about the :canada: dollar being at par, was the trips down to new england and all the delicious beers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

i only really drank sea dogs at their brewpubs in bangor and scarborough. sebago has one in scarborough though too, among other good dining options (portland pie, etc)

that's the one near my work. i was gonna say its kind of a lovely area for food but that's really in comparison with Portland proper which has so much good poo poo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kenny Logins posted:

I've had red hook, and it's good, but that was in Portsmouth NH (via cafe nostimo) and I thought it was based there.

the Portsmouth brewery in old Portsmouth is also good but wasn't particularly great, similar to sea dog for me

yeah it is, i thought that's where shipyard was too

maybe i was wrong lomarf

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

easy to be snobbish about the boston beer company, but they were trailblazers and still make good beer. the average microbrewer can only hope to walk the line between decent quality and affordable mass production as well

agreed

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

sam adams is good, wish they had never jumped on the ipa hop train and just kept to what they do well

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Devonaut posted:

sam adams is good, wish they had never jumped on the ipa hop train and just kept to what they do well

it's not like they stopped making other beers or that their normal beers got worse. ipas are probably the smallest percentage of their portfolio by style.

i'm not sure what bars you guys are going too where there are only these crazy super hoppy beers. most of those don't see actual distribution. most beer bars i've been too lately have a well rounded out selection of ipas/pale ales, lagers, stouts/porters, and hopefully a couple of sours. if you're at a normal bar most likely they probably just have whatever normal MBC products plus a few of the MBC owned craft brands their distributor carries.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
EH Taylor tonight :getin:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Face Joe posted:

im fine with lagers being the next hot poo poo. i used to be big on super strong stuff like scotch ales and old/strong ales but they've become almost undrinkable lately. i had some blue moon seasonal last week and it was ultra good so who knows maybe im dying

went out of my way to buy a deece lager other day coz tbh i probably couldn’t tell you what was what. it was ok. APA is my drug of choice

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Drinkin brandy after beers at Mexican Restaurant because

struct 16_bit_ethernet_message_thing{
unsigned int first_part : 5;
unsigned int last_part : 10;
};

made my brain shits its pants for half the day.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
bitfields: not even once

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
anyone in to sake? i used to think it was pretty poo poo then i did a pairing at a very nice joint (sho in stockholm i highly recommend it). one of them was so delicate it was like drinking coconut water. now i'm trying to learn more. my conclusion is that unlike most poo poo spending more actually gets you a superior product.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
coconut water that gets you drunk. what's the problem

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress hot sake is all i have to say

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'm for it

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
warm sake is the best sake.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
warm alcohol that isn't a hot toddy can get hosed

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
warm toddies are good, too.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

wronghaver itt

hot sake owns bones when it's cold outside

but use the OK stuff, not the good stuff (sho chiku bai, make it hot pls)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
why would it be cold outside, bay aryan supremacy