Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's really on two real problems with the first two Raimi Spider-Man films. Unfortunately those problems are Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. Like most people I liked the movies at the time, but you have to remember at the time it was loving Spider-Man on screen for the first time ever and we didn't live in a world where superhero movies were just a thing that happened with regularity. To nerds it was like a small oasis in a desert. We had X-Men and now we have Spider-Man. And now 15+ years later neither of those films hold up at all. Their sequels are better, especially X2, but still they don't really compare with stuff like Logan, Winter Soldier, Batman Begins, or even Man of Steel in my opinion. They've been lapped and it's just kind of what happens sometimes.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I won't pretend those movies don't have problems, but I can't believe the blasphemy I am hearing about them not being good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I won't pretend those movies don't have problems, but I can't believe the blasphemy I am hearing about them not being good.

I think Spider-Man 2 is fine, but the leads bother me a lot. They're just not good. The film does not hold up like people think it does. Yes the train sequence is good and Molina is great, but otherwise it's just kinda blah. X-Men 1 and Spider-Man 1 just both don't hold up at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spider-man 1 is a much better film than X-men.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man 1 is a much better film than X-men.

Superman 3 is also better than Superman 4. I'm not watching either anytime soon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alright. There's a lot of revisionist history happening here. I know we as goons like to be different. We like to have opinions outside the norm. It makes us feel special, the way paying money to post online makes us feel special. But I draw the line at this sudden decision that the first two X-Men and Spider-Man movies aren't good. Each case, the first one is fine, a little dated, and the second one is great. Still great. Not great for it's time, or great compared to the other superhero movies at the time. X2 and Spider-Man 2 are both great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For everything bad in Spidey 1 there are three great things in Spidey 2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgL8h_u2PHw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously Darkman is Sam Raimi's best superhero movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Obviously Darkman is Sam Raimi's best superhero movie.

I mean, it's unspoken.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What Spider-man 1 has going for it is that Raimi clearly loves the source material. It's not perfect, and nothing dates a film more than a loving Macy Gray cameo, but for me it captures the naïve innocence of comic books that very few other films do. The style and storytelling is almost a throwback, the romance is really sweet, and a lot of it may as well have been set in the 50's. For that reason I find it a joy to watch. A lot of that is nostalgia, but there's more than enough great moments (JJJ, Final Swing, Those sweet rear end sound effects when Osborn and Peter are kicking the absolute poo poo out of each other at the end) to make up for the not so great ones (putting Willem Defoe in a Power Rangers mask when he already naturally looks like a loving Goblin).

Spider-man 2 is objectively perfect, and doesn't need me to justify it.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 24, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The CGI in Spider-Man 1 is so bad. So, so, so bad. And I agree, S-M 2 was and still is great, but holy loving gently caress is the CGI in the first Raimi Spider-Man just the absolute worst ever. And considering how much of Spider-Man is how he looks when he webslings, and how loving godawful garbage that web-slinging looks now, it's very nearly unwatchable at points.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
S3 will forever reign supreme as the worst of them all.

If only for how Robbie pronounces "photography."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spider-man 3 has very few bad scenes(lmao at that scene where Venom and Sandman meet), but the scenes seem like they come from at least 3 different movies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man 3 has very few bad scenes(lmao at that scene where Venom and Sandman meet), but the scenes seem like they come from at least 3 different movies.

My favorite bad scene transition in Spider Man 3 is when Harry tells his butler to prepare some food for him and MJ. Immediately after the next scene is Harry and MJ preparing their own food.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What Spider-man 1 has going for it is that Raimi clearly loves the source material.

I rewatched the trilogy recently and this is absolutely true. Raimi's love for the comics really shines through in 1 and 2. They have a certain charm to them and it was fun watching them with my 6 year old son who loved them all (SM3 is his favorite). They're kind of corny and I HATE the love triangle stuff but I get why people like them. They're not terrible by any stretch.

I prefer the ASM movies mainly because Garfield and Stone were so much better than Maguire and Dunst.

Lurdiak posted:

Disagree. It's FILLED with horrible scenes.

SM3 is just god awful, from the plot contrivances to shoe horning too many characters in down to the retcon designed to make Sandman important. It had some cool effects. Venom looked good and the Sandman origin scene was great but very little of it made any loving sense at all and it all felt very slap dash.

Raimi's heart wasn't into it and it showed.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 24, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress yeah Macy Gray

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I prefer the ASM movies mainly because Garfield and Stone were so much better than Maguire and Dunst.

You are a crazy person. Garfield is the worst Spider-man that ever lived, and I'm counting the 70s one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tobey was a fine Peter Parker. I just think he was a little too quiet as Spider-Man. The one thing I think Garfield did better.

THE ONE THING.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How about not look like a constipated toddler. Garfield was better at that aspect of Spider-Man

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How about not look like a constipated toddler. Garfield was better at that aspect of Spider-Man

If you don’t think that’s essential to Spider-man’s core then I fear we’re reading vastly different characters.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Tobey was a good Spider-Man in the loving video games. But that's about it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Spider-Man isn't supposed to be handsome though. He needs to look like a nerdy doofus and Tobey was perfect at that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

teagone posted:

Spider-Man isn't supposed to be handsome though. He needs to look like a nerdy doofus and Tobey was perfect at that.

Haha what? Ladies have always found Peter attractive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's hooked up with like a dozen A list women.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

teagone posted:

What I always come back to is this, Peter Parker, all right angles. Tobey is a circle. I liked the Raimi movies, but it was always despite of Maguire's performance. For me the right guy at the time for the part was Topher Grace.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

^Yeah, as much as I enjoyed Tobey in the Raimi films, that's the exact sentiment I realized when watching Spider-Man 3. Raimi totally hosed up by not casting Topher Grace and Bryce Howard as Peter and MJ lol.

Rhyno posted:

So has Wolverine.

Codependent Poster posted:

Haha what? Ladies have always found Peter attractive.

He's a charming nerd!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

teagone posted:

^Yeah, as much as I enjoyed Tobey in the Raimi films, that's the exact sentiment I realized when watching Spider-Man 3. Raimi totally hosed up by not casting Topher Grace and Bryce Howard as Peter and MJ lol.

So has Wolverine.

He's a charming nerd!

wolverine is hot

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The first X-men movie is boring as gently caress and Tobey looked like he got stung by a bunch of bees in Spider-man 3.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
*furiously mashing the report button*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

wolverine is hot

Not in the comics.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

hasn't pretty much every a-list superhero hooked up with a ton of beautiful women?

Garfield was only superior in that his interactions with Gwen were cute. That's it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I found the way he acted around her offputting and creepy. Not in like a rapey way but in a "this guy isn't a human being" way.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He was just sad about losing all his Facebook money to Lex Luthor.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Both OG Peters are creepy in very different ways. Seriously guys, just let these women live their drat lives!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best moment in SM3.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The Way Garfield-Parker behaves towards Gwen in those films is despicable; he's just a massive unemphatic nob to her at all points.

Like, in the second film where Gwen finds out he's been stalking her, I remember sitting in the theatre thinking "Oh great, she's gonna give him poo poo for his creepy behaviour, and this is gonna make him grow and mature as a person".

But this is an Amazing Spider-Man film, so of course she thinks it's super cute and awesome. Those two films have this weird thing where Peter does really lovely things and all the other characters think it's rad and the film itself doesn't portray it negatively at all. Like in the first one where he steals the identity of another student who probably worked hard to earn a place on the tour around Oscorp, and the poor kid getting dragged out by security as Garfield mugs for the camera is played for laughs despite the fact that it's a really lovely thing to do someone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CityMidnightJunky posted:

and a lot of it may as well have been set in the 50's.

It always felt to me that the first two Raimi Spider-Mans were more a movie based on the 60s cartoon than the modern comics.

I hope that by now writers and directors have figured out that stalkerish behavior by guys in movies is not cool and cute, but creepy and wrong.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I'm about to watch Thor 3. I'm excited to point out places from my hometown (Brisbane) as we watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's a couple pages back, but I liked the mentor/student role between Tony and Peter in Homecoming. I saw Tony's actions more as someone who has never been a mentor figure before and is trying to learn in the process. He lets Peter do what he wants with little supervision or interference because he thinks that's what cool mentors should do in the movies. He went overboard installing all those features on Peter's suit because he wanted to protect him after what happened in Civil War. And after what happened to Rhodey, Tony added the parachute to Peter's suit to prevent something like that from happening again. Which is why it felt really sad that the parachute backfired and almost helped Peter drown instead.

• Locked thread