Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://my.mixtape.moe/rvxfwk.webm
:eyes::sweat_drops:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fangz posted:

The currently airing show Recovery of an MMO Junkie might be in your wheelhouse, though only three episodes are out.

Edit: ^^^ The use of 'autism', 'cancer' and 'japanimation' in that review clearly marks out the author as a 4channer doing some shtick.

My favorite little touch was the review was 'reccomended'. :v:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks noted psychopathic murderer Kira Yoshikage

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Thanks noted psychopathic murderer Kira Yoshikage

from the mouths of babes and murderers

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

:eyes::sweat_drops:

is that lustrous

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just remembered that the old RWBY thread ended up archived. Did anyone ever make a new one for yucking it up to commemorate the new season?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Hi tonight on Halloweenis, the first half of Hakaba Kitarou (2008). Something nice and breezy before Erg's much spookier stream, 8PM Eastern is the time, this is the place v
:spooky: https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime :spooky:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/anicrossing/status/922553236195815424

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Patient Zero there has cute hair.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm curious, ADTRW. Lately I've been reading a lot of manga, and enjoying it more than anime. In the past it's always been the other way around. It's got me to thinking. Is the manga ALWAYS better than the shows?

Can you guys give me some examples of anime that's better than the manga it's based on?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Outlaw Star is better than the manga, especially considering the manga never had an ending.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

khy posted:

Can you guys give me some examples of anime that's better than the manga it's based on?

Usagi Drop :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

comedy manga adaptations have a pretty decent track record on that front. that studio that did love lab and other cute girl stuff comes to mind

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I choose to live in the correct reality where a time skip never happens and he married the single mom of the other kid, and that is factually what happened and anyone who says otherwise is a dirty rotten liar.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

I choose to live in the correct reality where a time skip never happens and he married the single mom of the other kid, and that is factually what happened and anyone who says otherwise is a dirty rotten liar.

it did happen

Also they made a tsukihime anime and it was bad

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've found that most of the sports series I like are usually better in anime form.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

it did happen

Also they made a tsukihime anime and it was bad

hold on I know this meme

There is no tsukihime anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

khy posted:

I'm curious, ADTRW. Lately I've been reading a lot of manga, and enjoying it more than anime. In the past it's always been the other way around. It's got me to thinking. Is the manga ALWAYS better than the shows?

k-on
new game
revolutionary girl utena (technically i guess, the anime and manga were produced at the same time)
kobayashi's maid dragon
i think a lot of people consider the sailor moon anime better than the manga?

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 24, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

El Burbo posted:

hold on I know this meme

There is no tsukihime anime

You're right, it transcends anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escaflowne, which had two manga based on it; both sucked.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there was a manga for flcl but compared to the anime i couldn't get into it and the later stuff in it sounded kinda bad

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Seitokai Yakuindomo is another one where the anime is better, and not just because it has Yuu Kobayashi.

Maybe also Yozakura Quartet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

manga based on the anime and not vice versa is usually bad

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

khy posted:

Ghost in the Shell.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The anime based on the novel for Shin Sekai Yori is a billion times better than the manga version.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

khy posted:

Chihayafuru, by a little bit. 10% because you get to see a game about movement in motion instead of only in static panels, and 90% because of the amazing soundtrack.

K-ON! for sure.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Evangelion, although that's kind of cheating because the show came first

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I feel like 4-koma adaptations are bound to be at least a little better, unless they're the mercifully few where they literally play out the 4-koma exactly as written and move onto a completely different scene after each one.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Spiritus Nox posted:

Evangelion, although that's kind of cheating because the show came first

IIRC the manga started running before the show did. There were some things the manga handled better, like mid-series characterization of Rei. But the TV ending was interesting and IMO good, while the manga ending was dumb and bad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Eva manga has a lot of lame changes while following the same plot. More or less everything surrounding Shinji is a change that aims to make him more generic like having him try to punch Gendo or filling the silence before Kaworu's death with a lot of talking instead.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

khy posted:

Mysterious Girlfriend X has a decisively better anime, including being shorter and having a better ending.

On the flip side, the anime for Jitsu wa was trash compared to the Manga.

I feel the Soul Eater anime adapts the earlier parts of the Manga better (because it's using the more refined artstyle that came along later), though your opinion on if the story changes were better may vary.

I think a lot of people prefer the Blood Blockade Battlefront anime (but again, there's a disconnect between liking and hating the anime original stuff)

And plenty of sports shows benefit from being animated (Haikyuu anyone?)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Julias posted:

Ping Pong.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

Yeah and I bet it’s even better if you watch it jul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd say Slice Of Life stuff usually does better animated than in manga, in my experience, outside of a few cases where the original manga just has mindblowingly incredible art that doesn't lend itself to being accurately animated on your average anime budget. K-On, Hidamari Sketch, New Game all benefit quite a bit from anime that added more connective tissue between scenes and generally took more time to flesh out the characters and let them breathe a bit.

• Locked thread