Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Whoops, You guys are right. Guess I mis-remembered or saw an edited snip of this article.

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-vs-godzilla-movie/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
"The only way we can beat these new kaiju is to open a breach of our own, to another world, and hope they send help!"

*new breach is opened*

SKREEEEOONNNKKKKKKKK

Then Godzilla proceeds to lay waste to both sides.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rough Lobster posted:

"The only way we can beat these new kaiju is to open a breach of our own, to another world, and hope they send help!"

*new breach is opened*

SKREEEEOONNNKKKKKKKK

Then Godzilla proceeds to lay waste to both sides.

A Godzilla comic did this exact story. Well kinda. They create a portal to another world that's been overrun with monsters and Ghidorah makes it back to our world so they need to remake the portal to bring Godzilla into the world to save it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 22, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rough Lobster posted:

We need an exterminator, one that would drive away these new kaiju.

We need from you Monster 01 and Monster 02, Godzilla and Rodan.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Pacific Rim: Heroes in walking a-bombs commit a-bomb genocide.

Godzilla: Literally a metaphor about the horrors of the a-bomb.

Crossover: Uh, only if the Jaegers are the bad guys and once the final pilots are clinging to some driftwood Godzilla wanders back into the sea rift.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I enjoy Pacific Rim

I enjoy Godzilla

I do not think I would enjoy a crossover.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

revwinnebago posted:

Pacific Rim: Heroes in walking a-bombs commit a-bomb genocide.

Godzilla: Literally a metaphor about the horrors of the a-bomb.

Crossover: Uh, only if the Jaegers are the bad guys and once the final pilots are clinging to some driftwood Godzilla wanders back into the sea rift.

I mean, all of the pedantic stuff aside about power level bullshit

This is it in one.

Pacific Rim and the Godzilla franchise are completely incompatible unless their base ideologies clash.

Godzilla is a victim of nuclear war who alternates between punishing the world of man for making such a thing possible and stopping similar things from occurring. Never, not once, in any Godzilla film has a nuclear weapon been a good thing or a positive element.

Pacific Rim, nukes are the solution to the problem and our main robot is basically a walking nuke herself and that's even why she's special and can survive being EMPed compared to everyone else. Nukes are a good thing that save the day.

It really would, if you wanted a proper story featuring the two clashing, have to be the Pacific Rim cast being the bad guys. Misguided, but still the bad guys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla vs King Kong better have a Robot Jox final shot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Godzilla vs King Kong better have a Robot Jox final shot.

If Pacific Rim 2 is half the movie Robot Jox is, I would be so ecstatic.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Burkion posted:

It really would, if you wanted a proper story featuring the two clashing, have to be the Pacific Rim cast being the bad guys. Misguided, but still the bad guys.

Or the opposite. Just go, nukes are great, Godzilla needs to get over it. Then they team up and Godzilla chucks a Jaeger at the real villain and blows him up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

Or the opposite. Just go, nukes are great, Godzilla needs to get over it. Then they team up and Godzilla chucks a Jaeger at the real villain and blows him up.

This is a concept a Japanese film company is really likely to go with. I like it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New PV for Kaiju World

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_ANIME/status/922659822733901824

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is a concept a Japanese film company is really likely to go with. I like it.

Not necessarily Japanese, though, right? Pacific Rim and Godzilla (2014) were produced by Legendary, which is Chinese-owned and based in California.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 24, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not necessarily Japanese, though, right? Pacific Rim and Godzilla (2014) were produced by Legendary, which is Chinese-owned and based in California.

If you don't think Godzilla 2014 isn't a Japanese as gently caress kaiju movie, I don't know what to tell you.

Like if you were just joking about that above, that's great.

If you were being at all serious, Oh man. Oh man no. No. No.

Oh no.

No.

That's before even considering Toho. Just

Holy poo poo no.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Burkion posted:

If you don't think Godzilla 2014 isn't a Japanese as gently caress kaiju movie, I don't know what to tell you.

Don't really have an opinion on that. Seems distinct from my point.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 24, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Don't really have an opinion on that. Seems distinct from my point.

Your point is inane and the fact that you don't have an opinion on it only shows that you aren't thinking this through.

It's not distinct because that IS the point.

Godzilla 2014 is an entirely Japanese film that just happens to be made by other studios. This is because Toho has kept a careful guiding hand over it and what goes on in it and the people behind it have reverence for what Godzilla is and should be.

Take a good look at just how carefully Toho guards their brand and you ask me if they're going to allow a movie where Godzilla learns to love nuclear weapons.

Christ not even the 98 movie missed the point that badly. That is the antithesis of Godzilla.

Hell Shin Godzilla was an extended metaphor for the nuclear crisis that JUST RECENTLY hit Japan on top of everything else and it also included a pointed sub plot about why using a nuke was a poo poo idea.

So again, please tell me you were joking, seriously. Because otherwise I will just end up laughing even harder and I'm not sure either of us want that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I didn't get the 'Jeagers=nukes' thing til you spelled it out, but it suddenly makes a fuckload of sense. And that basically makes them slightly more subtle Metal Gears. (note that the only Metal Gears to survive a game's story are the non-nuclear equipped ones)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Burkion posted:

Take a good look at just how carefully Toho guards their brand and you ask me if they're going to allow a movie where Godzilla learns to love nuclear weapons.

As pointed out at the top of the page, they're not making the crossover. Questions of what Toho would or would not allow are irrelevant, so I responded to your comment with an exaggerated counterexample that focused on the "proper story" bit.

And, yeah, it's fine if you found my post about Godzilla throwing a mech like a grenade funny.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 24, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Burkion posted:

ahh, hmm

quote:

Take a good look at just how carefully Toho guards their brand

Toho was willing and eager to sign off on Godzilla '98 right up until the point where it proved to be a grievous financial miscalculation. Let's not pretend that their initial impressions of our American endeavors are the end-all, be-all.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 24, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably a difference between the 90s where they reckoned it was as good as they were going to get, and the 10s where there seems to be a lot more confidence in more faithful adaptations of foreign franchises.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HannibalBarca posted:

Toho was willing and eager to sign off on Godzilla '98 right up until the point where it proved to be a grievous financial miscalculation. Let's not pretend that their initial impressions of our American endeavors are the end-all, be-all.

There's some distinction between "supports nuclear proliferation" and "is a bad movie."

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Inescapable Duck posted:

Probably a difference between the 90s where they reckoned it was as good as they were going to get, and the 10s where there seems to be a lot more confidence in more faithful adaptations of foreign franchises.

Don't forget people, in the 1990's Nintendo willing signed off on the live action Super Mario Movie (which I personally love but holy gently caress).

I think between that and Godzilla, Japanese companies would be a little more cautious with their poo poo post 90's. Toho definitely and deliberately chose how they'd allowed big G to be portrayed in Godzilla 2014.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm wondering how much they micromanaged G 14's look. As I understand, they always demand Godzilla to have his forearms perpendicular, but G '14 breaks the mold there and is allowed to let them hang loose.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm wondering how much they micromanaged G 14's look. As I understand, they always demand Godzilla to have his forearms perpendicular, but G '14 breaks the mold there and is allowed to let them hang loose.

They were involved every step of the way.

The Japanese art book shows the evolution of the design and all of the potential concepts that they threw around.

They key idea they wanted was a natural looking Godzilla. Still VERY much Godzilla, but a Godzilla that could be mistaken for a living animal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rough Lobster posted:

Don't forget people, in the 1990's Nintendo willing signed off on the live action Super Mario Movie (which I personally love but holy gently caress).

... and then when they got to see the finished product they went "Ohhhhhhhhh gently caress THAT" and banned all their IPs from being adapted into live action films for the next few decades. The upcoming Detective Pikachu film will be the second ever live action Nintendo film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

... and then when they got to see the finished product they went "Ohhhhhhhhh gently caress THAT" and banned all their IPs from being adapted into live action films for the next few decades. The upcoming Detective Pikachu film will be the second ever live action Nintendo film.

Similar thing with Godzilla to be honest

Hell Godzilla only made headway in America because Banno got the okay to try and do his own movie again and it kind of spiraled out of that. Otherwise it may have taken even longer for Toho to approach America again.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Rough Lobster posted:

Toho definitely and deliberately chose how they'd allowed big G to be portrayed in Godzilla 2014.

That's disappointing if true because I feel like Godzilla's origin story in G'14 was pretty badly neutered, from "horrible harbinger of nuclear destruction, child of the atom bomb" to "plot device that got woken up by a nuclear submarine, which is a pretty innocuous piece of technology by comparison"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

That's disappointing if true because I feel like Godzilla's origin story in G'14 was pretty badly neutered, from "horrible harbinger of nuclear destruction, child of the atom bomb" to "plot device that got woken up by a nuclear submarine, which is a pretty innocuous piece of technology by comparison"

If you take the comic as canon, which you can if you want nothing really goes against it, that's not what woke Godzilla up.

What woke him up was the atomic bombings of the 40s which stirred a swarm-like MUTO that had been sleeping below one of the cities.

Godzilla rose up and hunted it down over a few years before killing it completely. Then the military tried to kill him.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HannibalBarca posted:

Godzilla's portrayal in '14 is entirely consistent with his portrayal in the late-'60s through the '70s. The theme of nuclear proliferation wasn't 'neutered,' it's just that the immediate ethical consequence is represented by a different monster, the MUTOs. You see the same transference occur in Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

K. Waste posted:

Godzilla's portrayal in '14 is entirely consistent with his portrayal in the late-'60s through the '70s. The theme of nuclear proliferation wasn't 'neutered,' it's just that the immediate ethical consequence is represented by a different monster, the MUTOs. You see the same transference occur in Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster.

I agree, but I also don't think that was a particularly interesting way to re-introduce Godzilla to the world. I can see why they did it, though. Godzilla tearing up cities and frying humvees full of national guardsmen would be a difficult ask, especially if you want to anchor a franchise around him.

Burkion posted:

If you take the comic as canon

oh god you made me remember that comic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HannibalBarca posted:

I agree, but I also don't think that was a particularly interesting way to re-introduce Godzilla to the world. I can see why they did it, though. Godzilla tearing up cities and frying humvees full of national guardsmen would be a difficult ask, especially if you want to anchor a franchise around him.

They gave Kong a similar makeover. In the original he was an avatar of brutal untamed savagery, in Skull Island he's the jungle sheriff.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They gave Kong a similar makeover. In the original he was an avatar of brutal untamed savagery, in Skull Island he's the jungle sheriff.

they did give Kong's character a major makeover for Skull Island, but I think the original Kong had a bit more nuance to his character; just as much the victim as the savage sort of thing. Although I may be letting Peter Jackson's remake influence me unduly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HannibalBarca posted:

they did give Kong's character a major makeover for Skull Island, but I think the original Kong had a bit more nuance to his character; just as much the victim as the savage sort of thing. Although I may be letting Peter Jackson's remake influence me unduly.

Yeah in the previous versions (1933, 1976, 2005) he was savage and untamed but also innocent and naive. He didn't fit into the modern world so he had to be destroyed. The '05 Kong's death was a noble gesture because he chose to face death to protect Ann and actually shielded her from the bullets with his body. '76 Kong had a similar thing where Dwan actually had a line "Don't put me down or they'll kill you!" and then Kong gently pushes her away when she tries to run back to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AltLpd20LM

2017 Kong was more "Imma fight this rear end in a top hat monster, it'd be a shame if this chick dies during the fight but eh, them's the breaks."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmZXJsklxSA
There won't be any "T'was beauty killed the beast!" scene for 2017 Kong, he's been 'round the block way too many times to be overly concerned with that 'beauty' crap any more.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 24, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

they also upsized him so much that even what scenes he did have with brie larson's character were absurd enough. the original kong was like between 25 or 50 feet tall (depending on the scene)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's ok tho - he comes back to LIVE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flUPsiGpZCc

...grew up loving this movie. Haven't seen it since I was a kid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the plan to have a Godzilla/Kong shared universe meant that Kong had to be massively upscaled which had a whole series of knock on effects on things like how he would interact with humans and what could possibly oppose him. There's just no way he could have a final confrontation against the '33 biplanes or even the '76 attack helicopters. I doubt this modern Kong could even climb a skyscraper without toppling it just from his weight.

Here's a wacky size comparison graph of the various Kongs:

(Note that the Empire State building is not at all to scale on the graph.)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Does Kong gently caress?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The planes didn't do it....'twas loving killed the beast.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does Kong gently caress?

If you ever saw Kong Lives, you'd know the answer to that

Happily so, he very much does

And yeah, the original '33 Kong is easily the most interesting and complex of the group just because it is so plainly obvious why he is the way he is. Skull Island Kong is way more a hero figure.

It helps that Skull Island Kong's Skull Island is a way nicer place to live compared to the original island. I've talked about this before, but the original Skull Island is a nightmare hellscape that not even Peter Jackson could faithfully recreate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does Kong gently caress?

How else do you think Skull Island got it's eye holes?