Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

eames posted:

How many goons are sporting Coffee Lake yet? Some retail overclocking results would be interesting.

I got 5,1 ghz on 1,44 V on my 8600k. Still suffering from temperature spikes like crazy, though. I would have thought the liquid cooler would smooth it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I’m rocking an 8400, waiting for an 8700K to be available.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

redeyes posted:

I really think it's worth waiting till next summer to invest in something greater than 4 cores. Intel and AMD are battling hardcore right now and the only winners are nerds. This summer was the tipping point for major multiprocessor gains and first generation is a bitch to buy into.
2019 for me, for wanting a Threadripper without impaired Infinifabric. And the Zen 2 cores I guess.

That said, since the Coffee Lake seems so efficient in power usage and whatnot, compared to the Skylake-X ones, if Intel came out with Coffee Lake-X CPUs that became more reasonable in power usage and maybe a sped-up mesh to compensate for latency (the ringbus is clocked way higher than the mesh, after all), that'd be nice, too.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

eames posted:

How many goons are sporting Coffee Lake yet? Some retail overclocking results would be interesting.
I’m using the Asrock Extreme4 with my 8700K. A recent review of this board was right to mention that it needs more voltage pumped through it than others for overclocking - I need 1.39v to run at 4.8GHz on all cores and 1.43v to reach 5GHz. It can do 4.7GHz on all cores with 1.28v, staying at about 70c under stress testing with a Noctua NH-D15, so I’ve stuck with that as the tiny performance gains aren’t worth any extra heat.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

I really think it's worth waiting till next summer to invest in something greater than 4 cores. Intel and AMD are battling hardcore right now and the only winners are nerds. This summer was the tipping point for major multiprocessor gains and first generation is a bitch to buy into.

At the start of the year I assumed next Summer would be a good time to buy since 10nm would be on the market but since it'll be mobile only initially, it could be a good while longer before we get a proper second gen of reasonably priced >4 core desktop chips.

eames
May 9, 2009

After all the hints dropped by the usuals suspects I'm certain that we'll see 8C Coffee Lake on Z370 next summer.
Ice Lake on 10nm probably won't clock as well as 14nm++ so CFL at >=5 Ghz looks pretty tempting at the moment, I don't think Ryzen will be able to match its singlethread performance anytime soon. :raise:

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I'm going to stick with my 6700k for at least 2 more generations. no need to upgrade yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

After all the hints dropped by the usuals suspects I'm certain that we'll see 8C Coffee Lake on Z370 next summer.
Ice Lake on 10nm probably won't clock as well as 14nm++ so CFL at >=5 Ghz looks pretty tempting at the moment, I don't think Ryzen will be able to match its singlethread performance anytime soon. :raise:

I don't really need to upgrade my 5820K at the moment so I'm going to bet that you're right :pcgaming:

If not I guess by that point it'll be the usual $70 boards and $270 processors at Microcenter so I win either way.

I really wish you could get 10 GbE on mITX boards though. If I'm gonna give up the PCIe lanes then I've already given up most of my expandability anyway.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I'm on a 4770k and Coffee Lake 8C is likely to be the last big release before a child begins to siphon away all the money, so that'll be my next upgrade.

And the last for a looooooong time. :sigh:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Maybe Ice lake will give me a reason to upgrade the ol’ 3820

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ColHannibal posted:

Maybe Ice lake will give me a reason to upgrade the ol’ 3820

Likewise. I'd be jumping on even 6C Coffee Lake but uh, yeah no there are none in Canada and there won't be any for months. ShopRBC has 2200 backorders and only managed to get 1150 on order from the disty.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Gyrotica posted:

I'm on a 4770k and Coffee Lake 8C is likely to be the last big release before a child begins to siphon away all the money, so that'll be my next upgrade.

And the last for a looooooong time. :sigh:

That child will have started school before a fast 8 core chip needs to be replaced.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Suddendly my 8700K arrived. Now i have no other parts...

Ordered maximus x hero, 3600c15 2x8gb g.skill, 250gb 960 evo (for OS), thermalright hr02 macho.

Memory and cooler are not available in Finland. I don't know where I should order those to get them sooner :/ Many European shops don't ship to Finland anymore.

I thought I'd never get the cpu, so I wasn't in any rush ordering the other parts.. well poo poo happens!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Just wanna say that I am at the login screen for windows 10 with an 8600k and an 850 evo 500 gb in 13 seconds from pressing my power on button.

edit: CPU

Struensee fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 24, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ASUS releases their dual-Xeon C621E-SAGE Overclocking motherboard

Skulltrail is back :unsmigghh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jesus that thing is dense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The gently caress is the use case for this?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

The gently caress is the use case for this?

Marketing, by ensuring Asus's name is attached to every overclocking world record. They already locked down the single-core records with the ROG Apex line, and the WS-SAGE should easily sweep the multi-core records.

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 24, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:awesome:

I have no need for this, but by god do I want it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Stanley Pain posted:

I have no need for this, but by god do I want it.

Same but Asrock's x299 itx board.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Can I get by with a Hyper 212 EVO on this sucker? THanks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lungboy posted:

Same but Asrock's x299 itx board.

Asock's insane mITX boards are so much cooler than any fat dual-socket board.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The 8600K is in stock at Newegg.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The 8600K is in stock at Newegg.

Wow, thanks for that!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Wirth1000 posted:

Can I get by with a Hyper 212 EVO on this sucker? THanks.

If you mean can you slap a Hyper 212 EVO on the GPU for extra cooling, then yes! Just make sure you attach it to the ASUS SafeSlot with 80% better shearing strength so you don't rip your PCIe slot off with a 5lbs card!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-pc-requirements.html

Kind of interesting that the minimum and maximum requirements both list an i7 - I think I'll be waiting to see how someone else with an overclocked i5-2500K fares before buying in.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some of the newer Wolfenstein games were optimized completely awfully. I had to get a refund for them when I downloaded them a while back. Well, I would if Valve cared about customer service.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-pc-requirements.html

Kind of interesting that the minimum and maximum requirements both list an i7 - I think I'll be waiting to see how someone else with an overclocked i5-2500K fares before buying in.

This is a Bethesda thing. I remember a couple of previous games that just said "core i7" and didn't list any other qualifiers. They ran A-OK on any sandy bridge i3 or newer.

If wolfenstein 2 will run on a goddamn FX-8350, it'll probably run fine on the faster Core 2 Quads anyway.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

Some of the newer Wolfenstein games were optimized completely awfully. I had to get a refund for them when I downloaded them a while back. Well, I would if Valve cared about customer service.

Wolfenstein TNO/TOB were built on Id Tech 5, which kind of sucked. Wolfenstein 2 is using Id Tech 6 like Doom2016, except with Vulkan included from day 1 this time, so performance ought to be fine.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Struensee posted:

Just wanna say that I am at the login screen for windows 10 with an 8700k and an 850 evo 500 gb in 13 seconds from pressing my power on button.

That's not bad for a SATA drive.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 24, 2017

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The first time I restarted off of an M.2 drive I literally turned my head and missed it. Pretty sure it takes longer to POST than to load Windows.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The first time I restarted off of an M.2 drive I literally turned my head and missed it. Pretty sure it takes longer to POST than to load Windows.

Yeah, things like POST and enumerating USB devices start to constitute a serious chunk of your boot time.

Many UEFIs nowadays have a "fast boot" mode that skips enumerating some USB devices. These are a mixed bag, it gets you to the loin screen quicker but then Windows has to enumerate them and that's more time before your system is actually usable. They can also cause problems getting into UEFI to troubleshoot an issue (since your mouse/keyboard may not be enumerated).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sounds like USB is obsolete

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Newegg had 8700's up for literally about 30 seconds

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Pretty sure it takes longer to POST than to load Windows.

It does. I don't see the spinner anymore unless it's updating.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ufarn posted:

Good news, valve does no questions asked refunds now, within a certain time (and game play time) limit.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dragon Ball FighterZ for PC requires an i7-3770 and 16GB RAM but it's only a 2.5D cel-shaded anime fighting game. I'm thinking those requirements are either bullshit or it's going to be a really lovely console port.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DrDork posted:

If you mean can you slap a Hyper 212 EVO on the GPU for extra cooling, then yes! Just make sure you attach it to the ASUS SafeSlot with 80% better shearing strength so you don't rip your PCIe slot off with a 5lbs card!

Do you have 1.6x stronger retention and 1.3x greater shearing resistance than standard expansion slots on your motherboard?

I am protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Good news, valve does no questions asked refunds now, within a certain time (and game play time) limit.
No they don't, they refused to refund one of the games, because it ran in the background when I closed it instead of shutting down, Valve is still anti-consumer af.