Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I'm mildly arachnophobic, and I used to be much more so, but skulltulas somehow never registered as scary spiders for me. Maybe it's that in OoT they were all stationary and not actively going for you, or that models are so crude that they just seemed like skulls with a hint of legs. Skullwalltulas were slightly worse, but they're easily taken care of before they become any sort of danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't really have a phobia so much as a mild physiological revulsion, like seeing one run across a wall or approach me gives me a bit of the willies, but it isn't blind panic. I think part of it is that my brain has trouble processing how quick they are considering how silent they are, my brain expects to hear them book it and it just doesn't get the feedback. Also the ones with particularly long legs move them very strangely, it's like they have 18 knees on each leg.

There's also the jump-scare aspect, when you turn around and BAM spider on the wall right in front of you.

However, in media I don't have any real reaction, especially when they get gigantic like in a lot of dumb movies or in many video games. My brain just stops seeing them as spiders, it's like I just go "OK, sorry, ya lost me... That's supposed to be a spider? I could ride that loving thing" I don't even see it as a spider anymore. I think it's also the fact that at certain sizes you can tell what's going on physically (I actually find close ups of bugs and insects kind of adorable due to the huge eyes), like a spider the size of a penny could climb up my pant leg and bite me before I could react, but a spider the size of a Ferrari, I could react to that, even if not effectively. It's too big to hide anywhere useful and the fangs would likely be big enough I could just grab them if they got too close. A spider that you can fight is a spider that loses all advantages that makes it a spider in the first place.

It's also partially down to the fragility - if you gently caress up catching a realistically sized spider, the leg comes right off and the spider just fucks off under the bath forever. However a giant videogame spider looks like it's strong enough that you could just grab it by one of it's hind legs and just drag it out of the house.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 19, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I want scented glitter markers now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You know you can press A when in first-person mode with a weapon like the Hookshot out, and it will just put the item away instead of you needing to swing your sword to put it back, right?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 59 - Now I'm The King Of The Research

It turns out that when trying to work off of sound cues in this game, its best to use both parts of your headphones!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My boss is so terrified of spiders, she refused to do the Skulltula Houses. She could handle the normal ones since they come one at a time, but that many...nooooooope.

In her defense, she had a big ol' nest of them fall on her head when she was 4

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wow, Sharp.

Rude.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I said it already, but I appreciate you at least trying to snipe at Tingle with fire arrows. It's even such overkill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can't remember if I posted this in the OoT thread, but it's now relevant here - This is for you Fae, a girl and he violin rocking your favourite song :3:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIXCL5VR9Ho

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

aaaaa I loving love Taylor Davis, she's so drat good at what she does, and some of what inspired my girlfriend to learn violin!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I hope I'm not the only one who saw that video title and their brain immediately leapt to "I Wanna Be Like You" from The Jungle Book.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

BioEnchanted posted:

I can't remember if I posted this in the OoT thread, but it's now relevant here - This is for you Fae, a girl and he violin rocking your favourite song :3:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIXCL5VR9Ho
Oh no that poor violin in the rain :ohdear:

That is not good for violins.

The music is great but I cannot stop thinking of that poor violin.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

She probably took steps to mitigate the damage, like wrapping the wood in something to protect it, I don't know. She probably took that into account though. She seems to know what she's doing, and she earns money playing it so she probably takes pretty good care of it.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe it was a junk violin, or even a fake one.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There's also some comments suggesting that the violin in the video is a prop she's playing in time with the pre-recorded studio version, but they didn't really provide any links proving that.

e: lol, beaten by a few seconds

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I went to a Japanese pop culture exhibition recently and they had a scroll with some frogs dancing as one of the early fore-runners of manga.
I thought you might like it, Fae, since you like frogs and all.

Regretfully, I was an idiot and did not actually make a note of the title of the scroll.
Fake edit:
Through sheer black magic, my lovely phone picture was recognized by google image search and got me the correct result:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%8Dj%C5%AB-jinbutsu-giga

That present location is a lie, it's currently in the National Museum of Ethnology in The Netherlands.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Okay so realtalk, my mental health has taken a nosedive recently -- I won't get into the specifics because this isn't e/n but it got bad enough at one point that I was considering hospitalisation. I haven't recorded Majora's Mask for months even though I really, really want to. I love this game, a lot. I also haven't updated the LP for a while. I'm gonna try and get things back on track and I apologise profusely for this LP being so spotty in terms of the schedule I promised myself I'd stick to. I promise I'll try and do better.

Anyway here's an update, wherein I totally know what scarecrows are.

Episode 60 - Look At This Majestic Seagull

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Don't worry about us, you have nothing to apologize for; this LP is rad but taking care of yourself as you want and need is infinitely more important. Anyone with an opinion worth considering has nothing but good vibes and support for you, and we'll be here when you're ready.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree, this LP is awesome and I've been having a blast following it, but taking care of yourself is much more important. Take care, we'll still be here when you're ready :sympathy:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I have been in bad mental health a long time. It's really hard to do anything at all good for yourself let alone others when it's not taken care of, so never feel guilty about taking care of that first. We'll still be here when you're back to 100% if you have to take a break. :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If your mental health is in a bad way then you should probably pump the brakes before you do this next temple :v:

Real talk though taking care of your well-being comes before video games. I hope you feel better soon!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
First, climb out of hole, then record games for the internet. Very good priorities, don't worry about us.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You're good people fae. I don't know what you're struggling with, but I do know you're good people.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Take good care of yourself, Fae. Your health is way more important than an LP. We'll still be here when you get back.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Something Awful Dot Com cares about you, Fae. For whatever that's worth. We're all pulling for you.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Joining the train to wish you well, Fae. No apologies needed and we'll be happy to see you when you return!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks for all your support guys, it means a lot! Things are getting a little better, I've been learning to draw this month and a mystery nendoroid arrived at my house yesterday so now I have a cute little Link and Tatl friend to look at while recording! :3:

(seriously though I can't afford nendos and none of my friends will admit to buying it for me I have no idea where it came from)

Anyway, enough mysteries, time for an episode!

Episode 61 - All Up In Its Grundle

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ikana Canyon itself is one of my favorite areas too (right behind Great Bay) and it's a very solid area right up until the end. I just hate the dungeon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I appreciate that you posted that on Halloween.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Ikana Canyon itself is one of my favorite areas too (right behind Great Bay) and it's a very solid area right up until the end. I just hate the dungeon.

We are going to have words later, young man. :colbert:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Artix posted:

We are going to have words later, young man. :colbert:

Oh we'll have words. Clauses, sentences, and periods too. Maybe some exclamation points as well

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, Ikana wasn't that interesting to me when I initially played, since it is bleak and brown and fairly lifeless, but looking at it now, that's definitely the point. The other three areas have thriving people and cultures to explore, see how everyone lives, and find out how skull kid screwed things up.

Ikana has history to explore. Most of the beings you interact with are already dead from some older civilization and war and the ones in the area that are alive keep to themselves and you have to entice them individually to even see that they're there to interact with you. The rest is architectural ruins.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ikana has my favourite dungeon but I am a well established Zelda Puzzle Masochist

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Glad you're feeling better! Now go bug Argate about updating his NieR LP :v:

VV I'm just yankin your chain

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 1, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

C-Euro posted:

Glad you're feeling better! Now go bug Argate about updating his NieR LP :v:

I haven't had a lot of time to actually sit down and edit or do anything LP related. :(

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hey, time for an update!

Episode 62 - Extreme Gibdo Racing

At this point in the session everyone can tell that something isn't quite right with my brain, and it causes some problems.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

I had no idea you could use bombs to lure the girl away from the house to sneak in. I always just used the Stone Mask to walk past her.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like the concept behind this dungeon. It's basically "Fetch Quest: The Dungeon", which is an interesting idea. But it falls short for me. Maybe it's the lame attempt at humor from the Gibdos that doesn't really vibe with the rest of the game (particularly Ikana), maybe it's just that it feels like padding, but something about it just rubs me the wrong way. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Also, did anyone else notice that as you explore each region it gets darker and darker? Woodfall has a happy ending, Snowhead has a dead Darmani, Great Bay has a dead Mikau, stolen eggs, Lulu's lost voice and eventually she's gonna realize her love is dead, and Ikana...well, just look at it.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 9, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Link is that guy who cleans cobwebs with a blowtorch. Link lives in a tree in the middle of the forest. I doubt things will end well for Link when he gets back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I love the encounter with Pamela and her dad. Stuff like that is a big part of why MM is my favorite Zelda