Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Homura and Sickle posted:

the cool thing is it predates steven universe but appeared at a time where steven universe would have already been in development so its definitely just a case of 2 ppl on opposite sides of earth having a near identical idea at p much the exact same time

Honestly they don't seem at all similar beyond "there are rock aliens" and "deals with gender stuff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

how am I supposed to understand things if I can't use banal comparisons to other things though

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's okay to draw comparisons, sometimes

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's not. I've taken my stance

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cake Attack posted:

So have I. Cakes are whack.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

You have my bow

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

And my weapon that is very similar to an axe.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

whalekids survives another week without being dropped. it avoided the common path for a story like this, but because of that it's a total mystery what it will go for and whether that will be good.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DisDisDis posted:

Honestly they don't seem at all similar beyond "there are rock aliens" and "deals with gender stuff"

I'm pretty sure the show does not deal with gender stuff, at least so far. I mean, how can it when the characters don't seem to even be aware of gender as a concept?

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
You can try to compare them beyond the basic (genderless gem people), but you will look pretty silly in the process.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

dogsicle posted:

whalekids survives another week without being dropped. it avoided the common path for a story like this, but because of that it's a total mystery what it will go for and whether that will be good.

I'm not dropping it but I was a bit disappointed by the latest episode. There was too much of soldiers standing around waiting for people to do things, and the sort of story I thought it was really didn't need a genocide-happy psycho, much as I generally enjoy that type of character.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would it make sense to say that Kino's Journey feels very subdued and not-subdued at the same time?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, because those are opposites.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm not dropping it but I was a bit disappointed by the latest episode. There was too much of soldiers standing around waiting for people to do things, and the sort of story I thought it was really didn't need a genocide-happy psycho, much as I generally enjoy that type of character.

That character doesn't make sense to me given the fact that they're supposed to be emotionally subdued. They definitely could have sped up the pace substantially and moved the story forward by 5 or 10 minutes. I don't feel there was anything to gain by drawing the moment out so much.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm pretty sure the show does not deal with gender stuff, at least so far. I mean, how can it when the characters don't seem to even be aware of gender as a concept?

Imo a cast of humanoid characters that are all explicitly genderless qualifies for 'dealing with gender' a lot more than if there were just, regular boy and regular girl rocks or something.
SU has extremely gendery rocks and human kids though so it's still different in that regard.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like both shows and i don't think you can really compare them outside of as an epic meme

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i like both shows and i don't think you can really compare them outside of as an epic meme

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DisDisDis posted:

Imo a cast of humanoid characters that are all explicitly genderless qualifies for 'dealing with gender' a lot more than if there were just, regular boy and regular girl rocks or something.
SU has extremely gendery rocks and human kids though so it's still different in that regard.

How so? I mean, so far I have not seen anyone in the show talk about gender and their culture seems to lack the concept of gender, so I'm not sure how they could address issues related to gender without knowing what it is in the first place?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/922629050840911872

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

yeah but in some kind of hosed up order

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The most important part is in order tho. Start here.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

2009 broadcast order without the movie would be something, I guess

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

an actual dog posted:

The most important part is in order tho. Start here.

Nah, this is the way to watch that.

https://youtu.be/wOiW-0rmglE

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Now if they could only get Hyouka next, I wouldn't have to pay Amazon cash money.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the half of ep 3 of Blend S that was about the douj was hilarious

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That

That is some nice looking animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcgxyvX1rVU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a kitten posted:

That

and sounds like a bunch of tracks leftover from Sound Euphonium!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Looking forward to the pretty people looking sad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Looking forward to the pretty people looking sad.

Well I'd rather look happy, but if you insist.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

side m episode 3 was super sweet

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

That

The new season of Fullmetal Alchemist is looking good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

a kitten posted:

That

Sounds like it's just steampunk Mahoromatic.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

a kitten posted:

That

I hope it's as lovely as it looks, 'cause drat

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Man I really liked the first episode of Inuyashiki. The OP was cool and Not-grandpa was really cute and fun and had a good time. I was hoping for fun robot adventures with the other guy on the hill.

Weeelp.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

kater posted:

Man I really liked the first episode of Inuyashiki. The OP was cool and Not-grandpa was really cute and fun and had a good time. I was hoping for fun robot adventures with the other guy on the hill.

Weeelp.

Yeah, there was a slight tonal shift in the second episode.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How so? I mean, so far I have not seen anyone in the show talk about gender and their culture seems to lack the concept of gender, so I'm not sure how they could address issues related to gender without knowing what it is in the first place?

Haven't watched yet but iirc from the manga discussion (and evidently this is the same in the anime) the author made a point of making a full cast of vaguely androgynous femme characters and stating explicitly that they're all agender. That immediately gets me thinking about gender stuff in relation to the show in a way none of the hundred shows with casts of all conventionally presenting (cis) men and women will off top. Doesn't mean it has a specific take about gender necessarily. If I wanted to be a huge stickler for specificity maybe I'd rephrase that as "both have agender and/or nonbinary characters."

kater
Nov 16, 2010

In the words of Geddy Lee senpai, if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

Haven't watched yet but iirc from the manga discussion (and evidently this is the same in the anime) the author made a point of making a full cast of vaguely androgynous femme characters and stating explicitly that they're all agender. That immediately gets me thinking about gender stuff in relation to the show in a way none of the hundred shows with casts of all conventionally presenting (cis) men and women will off top. Doesn't mean it has a specific take about gender necessarily. If I wanted to be a huge stickler for specificity maybe I'd rephrase that as "both have agender and/or nonbinary characters."

Ahhh. I took your phrasing as meaning that you thought the show itself deals with gender as a concept, I can see how a depiction of a genderless society would spark discussion of gender related issues amongst its audience. When I think of anime that deal with gender issues I think of stuff like Wandering Son.

kater posted:

In the words of Geddy Lee senpai, if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

That does not really work with regards to Houseki no Kuni, they seem to lack the concept of gender entirely. As an example if you do not eat an orange because you don't know oranges exist have you made the decision to not eat an orange? Similarly the characters in Houseki no Kuni are not making a decision to be genderless, they simply are not aware that a choice exists in the first place.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 24, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

As an example if you do not eat an orange because you don't know oranges exist have you made the decision to not eat an orange?

This example doesn't make sense because Land of the Lustrous is a work of fiction that is authored by a human being who is aware of the concept of gender, and also oranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the next ep or two will drop some nuggets that call for further consideration on the gender stuff, though characters still aren't turning to the camera to say anything about it. basically the jellyfish humanoid seen in the episode preview is a member of a third race of beings that live in the oceans of the planet, and the implication is that they are gendered. there's definitely some compare and contrast going on between them and the gems. there's also some time spent revisiting the creation myth from episode 2 that begs the question of why the gems appear the way they do.

this is just based on the two officially released volumes, so i'm unsure where this all goes. but the lack of gender is definitely specific and likely sets up for something.

• Locked thread