Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odobenidae posted:

The blue zone should be a physical barrier. That way if you can't find a car you just get pushed to the new circle anyways. Also the blue circle will move you so fast at times that you will take damage from colliding into buildings and trees.

I want the speed to ramp up as time goes by and for you to take crush damage. But if you're stacked on energy drinks and bandage you can keep getting speed behind a box or a car and when you jump you get a huge slingshot effect that throws you at insanely high speeds and then you die when you collide with a tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Odobenidae posted:

The blue zone should be a physical barrier. That way if you can't find a car you just get pushed to the new circle anyways. Also the blue circle will move you so fast at times that you will take damage from colliding into buildings and trees.

Hahaha slingshot all the way in from the first circle at mach 17

Goodness that'd be a treat to see at the edge of the white

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The pro strat will be slingshotting in on a motorcycle. Just a rain of bikes on the las couple of circles.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How prevalent is the damage bug they are fixing next patch?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
My friends and I played a game yesterday that featured the luckiest circles I've ever had. We started in Yasnaya and the first circle was around Mylta/Prison, so Yasnaya was just about out. We got in a car and drove to the tiny compound with a blue house and a shed located just north-east of the big blue warehouse near Prison, and took up residence there. It's quite an easy place to hold, both in first and third person (this was FPP). It's got walls in appropriate heights on all four sides but with spaces to shoot out, and it has relatively clear view of incoming enemies from every angle.

So, we holed up there about 8-10 minutes into the round, expecting to be able to camp out there for a circle or two. 20 minutes later, I take one step out of the compound for the first time since entering, to shoot the last guy trying to approach our tiny fortress of death. In those 20 minutes I got 10 kills off people trying to get in/near, and infinite supplies off those guys. We were short a proper sniper rifler, but at one point, the plane dropped a crate with an M24 inside the walls of the compound, where it snuggly fit between the wall and the solitary little house.

I was embarrassed to win that round, to be honest.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

qkkl posted:

How prevalent is the damage bug they are fixing next patch?

I've been in a ton of situations where I've lost almost all or all of my health to what looked like chest or head hits that managed to not damage my armour at all.

If you have a level 2 helmet and someone pegging you once with an m16 from 300m away puts you down to almost no health it's a safe bet that you've experienced the bug.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

The Mash posted:

My friends and I played a game yesterday that featured the luckiest circles I've ever had. We started in Yasnaya and the first circle was around Mylta/Prison, so Yasnaya was just about out. We got in a car and drove to the tiny compound with a blue house and a shed located just north-east of the big blue warehouse near Prison, and took up residence there. It's quite an easy place to hold, both in first and third person (this was FPP). It's got walls in appropriate heights on all four sides but with spaces to shoot out, and it has relatively clear view of incoming enemies from every angle.

So, we holed up there about 8-10 minutes into the round, expecting to be able to camp out there for a circle or two. 20 minutes later, I take one step out of the compound for the first time since entering, to shoot the last guy trying to approach our tiny fortress of death. In those 20 minutes I got 10 kills off people trying to get in/near, and infinite supplies off those guys. We were short a proper sniper rifler, but at one point, the plane dropped a crate with an M24 inside the walls of the compound, where it snuggly fit between the wall and the solitary little house.

I was embarrassed to win that round, to be honest.

Bet you'd feel a lot worse if you hadn't won that though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

That sinking feeling when you're playing solo and you see this:

You know it's gonna end like this:

I can't be hosed to send them an email but if someone else cares enough to, feel free to include this guy! (if you didn't know the report button at the end of a match is for metrics only)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So how did it feel to be hunted in a horror movie knowing you can't escape fate.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

It took me a while to figure out what was going on, eventually the circle got small enough to see that he was doing laps around the perimeter like some kind of jumpfucking turboshark

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Odobenidae posted:

This is without a doubt the best idea for changing the blue I've read so far. If you get caught in a building you die, if you get caught in a forest you're playing human plinko. If you're outside and it's closing fast up the mountains, you're going to get some air. I love it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

So how did it feel to be hunted in a horror movie knowing you can't escape fate.

You guys just need to get good. And hope the hacker runs out of ammo.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

New Zealand can eat me posted:

jumpfucking turboshark

This is a good name and someone should steal it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I must admit that's pretty good.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Does anyone have good tips on playing in 4 man squads? I'm looking especially for tips and tactics on fire fights. Me and my people always find ourselves on the wrong side of our encounters with other squads.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
OK, I really suck at this game. I've played around 30 or 40 rounds now and I think I've fired a bullet in about 3 of them.

I either land somewhere alone, spend 20mins getting kitted out and running from town to town only to eat poo poo from some dude just chilling in a house or I jump in to a hot zone and run around with no gear cause people beat me into the houses and eat poo poo that way.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

OK, I really suck at this game. I've played around 30 or 40 rounds now and I think I've fired a bullet in about 3 of them.

I either land somewhere alone, spend 20mins getting kitted out and running from town to town only to eat poo poo from some dude just chilling in a house or I jump in to a hot zone and run around with no gear cause people beat me into the houses and eat poo poo that way

Have you read this thread? Even just the last page? If you did you'd have your answer

Q8ee posted:

Just had the most incredible bout of games. Didn't win a single chicken dinner, but god drat was it a blast. We decided to play the role of predator, we'd just drop at the hottest zones and then actively hunt out other duos by following the sounds of gunshots. We went from regularly losing in the first five minutes, to easily dominating hot spots like school, mylta, primorsk. It felt so satisfying.

Best part was, we barely had to loot, as the people we killed had all the loot for us. It was genuinely the most experience I've gained in terms of how guns behave and what tactics work best. In those 4 hours of playing, I've become a much better player than I ever did in the 20 hours of regular gameplay (where we drop somewhere quiet and safe, spend 20 minutes looting, and then die at our first encounter). Would highly recommend this to other people, it's like a caffeine boost of skill straight to your skull.

Now 80% of our games ends with us having 5-10 kills easily each.

Specifically this post

You can't get unlucky on guns every single drop. It probably has more to do with your decision-making when dropping. Loot fast, hunt people

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 24, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ehud posted:

Does anyone have good tips on playing in 4 man squads? I'm looking especially for tips and tactics on fire fights. Me and my people always find ourselves on the wrong side of our encounters with other squads.

The biggest hurdle is actually adopting some semblance of organization in the first place and finding players willing to do so. With the irl friends I play with all of them get frustrated when we get outplayed but none of them are willing to do anything beyond ‘play solo generally in the same area as other friends’

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yes I've been reading the thread. I didn't really as a question though.

Are you saying get good by camping in a bath tub? Lowering my DPI? Or blame it on hackers?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rex-Goliath posted:

The biggest hurdle is actually adopting some semblance of organization in the first place and finding players willing to do so. With the irl friends I play with all of them get frustrated when we get outplayed but none of them are willing to do anything beyond ‘play solo generally in the same area as other friends’

I've got IRL friends that want to work together and improve. We just suck for some reason haha.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hooplah posted:

Specifically this post

Hmm, yeah. It would probably help me if I had some friends to play with. Hopefully I can try it on the weekend or something.

Everyone on my friends list that plays is always in a full group already. Maybe I should jump on discord and see if there are any Aussies on there that are keen.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Ehud posted:

Try not to engage enemies until the majority of your squad has eyes and shots on them. If you can drop 1-2 guys with the opening barrage, you should win most engagements. That is assuming you get the drop on them. If the reverse is the case, there isn't a whole lot you can do other than shoot the mans first. Having one or two guys flank while the rest put down covering fire can be effective but is risky if they get downed in the process. I usually try to flank in these situations and it's a mixed bag. Sometimes I'll completely surprise the enemy team and get easy pot shots, other times I get picked and die alone. Works better in FPP.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Looten Plunder posted:

Hmm, yeah. It would probably help me if I had some friends to play with. Hopefully I can try it on the weekend or something.

Everyone on my friends list that plays is always in a full group already. Maybe I should jump on discord and see if there are any Aussies on there that are keen.

If you are mostly playing solo don't bother dropping in quiet areas to spend 20+ mins looting until you are good at the shooting part of the game.

Keep dropping military or outside Pochinki or somewhere else medium spicy and fight people til you are winning some fights.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Had a solo finish 4th last night with 5 kills. Dropped shooting range and took out two people and then looted. Someone decided to wander over to shooting range a few minutes later and he died. My other two kills felt pretty good. They were both instances where they started shooting at me first, I found them quickly, and ended them. The final circle was basically a mad rush of 5 people to the same spot once the blue started moving and I died with the match ending like 5 seconds later :( I just want some chicken. I can kill people, I'm just particularly bad at real long distances (the 4x scope is my nemesis) and I never seem to be in that great of position for the final circle. Oh well, game is still fun.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ehud posted:

I'm bad but
-In an empty city you can spread out while looting
-The more people that landed near you, loot closer. Think adjacent buildings, or travel from building to building together
-The more likely it is that enemies are nearby, the closer you should be travelling. If you're spread out and someone gets downed, he's dead. If you're together, they can't finish him and you can get him up
-Speak up and share mods/ammo during the in-between moments. Especially first aid
-When someone gets shot at, drop what you're doing and rush to help them, even if it's 60s into the drop and all you have is a pistol
-The more information you share amongst each other, the better off everyone will be
-It helps to have someone providing instructions. We're going to travel this way, we are/aren't taking that vehicle, we're done looting now, etc. 4 people milling around with nobody making a decision will get you ambushed
-Like the other guy said, try not to open fire on distant targets until at least two of you have eyes
-Finish off targets quickly where available, so they don't get rezzed

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

IPA Regulations posted:

If you are mostly playing solo don't bother dropping in quiet areas to spend 20+ mins looting until you are good at the shooting part of the game.

Keep dropping military or outside Pochinki or somewhere else medium spicy and fight people til you are winning some fights.

Yes, medium spice is probably the right thing to do. Something relatively contained that'll regularly have 3-6 people dropping, like mylta power substation, shooting range, sev, or roz

e- I've found stalber to be a good bet and almost always underpopulated for the loot it has. Bigger towns like georgopol are also good if they're 1-2km off the flight path. Otherwise maybe a little too busy and large to be manageable by a newish person

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 24, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I just got literally turbojumpfucked from hundreds of meters away

It feels good I'm enjoying myself

:negative:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm bad but
-In an empty city you can spread out while looting
-The more people that landed near you, loot closer. Think adjacent buildings, or travel from building to building together
-The more likely it is that enemies are nearby, the closer you should be travelling. If you're spread out and someone gets downed, he's dead. If you're together, they can't finish him and you can get him up
-Speak up and share mods/ammo during the in-between moments. Especially first aid
-When someone gets shot at, drop what you're doing and rush to help them, even if it's 60s into the drop and all you have is a pistol
-The more information you share amongst each other, the better off everyone will be
-It helps to have someone providing instructions. We're going to travel this way, we are/aren't taking that vehicle, we're done looting now, etc. 4 people milling around with nobody making a decision will get you ambushed
-Like the other guy said, try not to open fire on distant targets until at least two of you have eyes
-Finish off targets quickly where available, so they don't get rezzed
same but in addition

-take a sec to remember voices at the start because every goon shouts "I'm taking fire, oh god help me" rather than talking 3rd person
-bind map to a really convenient key (I use a mouse button + hold) and zoom into the city you land on every drop. when you see a guy, if he's not next to you and you aren't taking fire just quickly stick a marker on the building and say what floor/roof. you get real fast with practice, about the same speed as calling it out and describing the location
-when moving to flank or close, force different sight lines. being close to your squad is important but getting a different angle on the enemy is moreso, plus it forces them to aim/watch different places.
-when clearing room you know there's a guy in, the front guy needs to keep moving and get as far into the room as possible to make room for the others. stopping in the doorway to check corners gets you killed and blocks your support. first guy is likely to go down but your bud right behind should take them out before they can finish
-if you're 3rd person and you're on a flank, defender has advantage so wait for them to look away and open up on your buds before going in. gunfire masks your approach
-land at the edge of a city and loot in a wave all moving in the same direction rather than dropping center and spreading out
-when you hear nearby footsteps, STOP MOVING and wait for squad backup rather than hunting like rambo because you might win but you might instead get to spectate for 20 mins
-pay attention to the blue, know when you need to leave and cut off your loot goblin (there's one in every group)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 24, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Follow up to the finishing people quickly. If they are getting close to cover, finish them. If they’re far from cover a teammate may run out to a spot they think is safe to revive them. Then you shoot the teammate. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does it makes a big difference.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Had a solo finish 4th last night with 5 kills. Dropped shooting range and took out two people and then looted. Someone decided to wander over to shooting range a few minutes later and he died. My other two kills felt pretty good. They were both instances where they started shooting at me first, I found them quickly, and ended them. The final circle was basically a mad rush of 5 people to the same spot once the blue started moving and I died with the match ending like 5 seconds later :( I just want some chicken. I can kill people, I'm just particularly bad at real long distances (the 4x scope is my nemesis) and I never seem to be in that great of position for the final circle. Oh well, game is still fun.

The 4x is my favorite scope and I have had great success recently with it long range by following the advice in the thread of just defaulting your long range scope to 300m zeroing.

Got a solo fpp dinner with 8 kills and a 3rd place with 6 kills this weekend.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

I either land somewhere alone, spend 20mins getting kitted out and running from town to town only to eat poo poo from some dude just chilling in a house or I jump in to a hot zone and run around with no gear cause people beat me into the houses and eat poo poo that way.

Play squad games with the discord goons, you'll have people to watch your back, give you intel, pick you back up when you get shot in the face, and when you die you'll get the opportunity to watch how better players are able to murder dudes(or you'll get to watch the rest of your team get picked apart by cheaters or better placed squads who shoot straighter).

Ehud posted:

Know when to disengage, either because The Blue is coming in or because you stand to lose more than you gain from sticking around, like if you're in a situation where you pick off someone from an enemy squad but aren't in a good enough position to finish off the squad and get some loot out of it because the terrain sucks.

I was playing with goons yesterday and someone got so focused on wanting to kill someone off that they basically ignored all warnings about the blue coming in and all the calls to disengage because of it, and lingered long enough to not just get caught in the blue but to get downed by the people he was so focused on, who promptly hopped into their vehicle and went on their merry way into the white, where the rest of us murdered them as they drove in.We died to another squad immediately afterwards

When it comes to hot areas, be willing to drop what you're doing and to come help people out when they say that they've got someone in an adjacent building or wherever. You don't always have to push in for a kill, but your squad ends up better placed to kill someone that pushes for a squaddie and just being there to cover a withdrawal generally ups your chances of keeping more of the squad alive for longer.

Also, always communicate enemy positions, changes to positions, when you lose someone/last known position. And remember to inform specific squad members that someone might know they're there or pose a threat to them, "bad dude 100m NE of me heading X" is fine, but "bad dude 100m NE of me, heading towards you Z"/"Z, bad dude 50m east of you behind <building>" is better.

One of the most important ones is knowing when to hold fire, and another is letting people know where your target is before you start firing. Some people have a terrible habit of just opening fire on every enemy they see, any noise you make basically tells everyone in audible range where you are and if you don't tell your squad what's up then you're going to get your squad killed because you've foolishly alerted the enemy to your position before you alerted your squad to theirs.

lohli fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 24, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Gildiss posted:

The 4x is my favorite scope and I have had great success recently with it long range by following the advice in the thread of just defaulting your long range scope to 300m zeroing.

Got a solo fpp dinner with 8 kills and a 3rd place with 6 kills this weekend.

Interesting, I may have to try this.

What are everyone's favorite few drop spots? My two favorite spots are probably Stalber and Mansion. When feeling super spicy, I enjoy dropping military on those three "U" shaped buildings.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 24, 2017

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What are everyone's favorite few drop spots? My two favorite spots are probably Stalber and Mansion. When feeling super spicy, I enjoy dropping military on those three "U" shaped buildings.

Solo: I just grab a car and drive a bit to a secluded spot so I don't have to deal with arseholes camping a building with a shotgun and no other loot.
Duos: Yasnaya or Georgepool (not crates)
Squads: Pochinky

I don't play squads often though. I'd rather get aids. I honestly think they need to remove the downing in squads, or at least increase the bleed out time two-fold

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't know about everyone else, but I just treat Solos as "spawn and learn how to be good in fights" simulator. If you drive off to a secluded spot every game to not have to deal with "rear end in a top hat campers in buildings", how are you ever gonna get good enough to dominate those types of players? What will you do when the final circle closes on a building and it's just you and one other dude?

Solos there's literally nothing to lose, the second you die, you just requeue and get right back into it. People who prioritize chickens dinners over enjoyment just baffle me

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Q8ee posted:

how are you ever gonna get good enough to dominate those types of players?

by playing squads and dropping in pochinky.

I've won a lot of games in my 200 hours. Average kills per game is usually around 5. I play aggressive if I know I'm around people, I'd just rather loot for 5 mins before going out. I'd rather not play mid-end game with nothing but an ump and a shotgun and level 1 armour because I wasted my time trying to kill some house campers.

Winning is so much more fun to me than dropping school and dying 8/10 times in the first 2 mins.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 24, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Big Zharki fan here

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
when u die you just quit and go next right? why not do the school gamble every time and get your kicks early on then ride that high if you survive

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

kiwid posted:

Solo: I just grab a car and drive a bit to a secluded spot so I don't have to deal with arseholes camping a building with a shotgun and no other loot.
Duos: Yasnaya or Georgepool (not crates)
Squads: Pochinky

I don't play squads often though. I'd rather get aids. I honestly think they need to remove the downing in squads, or at least increase the bleed out time two-fold

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Solo: Yasnaya police station. Usually enough loot to kit me out well, and since there’s only one staircase I know where any enemies are coming from. Also Mylta, I aim for the cafe because the front frequently has something good but it’s exposed enough to be dangerous after people have guns.

I used to like Gatka, but it’s hard to get out of there. Little cover, almost no vehicle spawns.

Duos: Sunken City, Mylta / Mylta Power. Sometimes Yasnaya, but the police station frequently doesn’t have enough loot to be worth it for duos.

Squads: I mostly let other people pick. Sometimes Mylta / Power, sometimes West Yasnaya.

Yasnaya has a garage tucked away where you wouldn’t see it if you didn’t know where to look, so getting out of there isn’t usually as daunting as it seems.

I rarely do school because I don’t want to have to wait the two minutes to get back in game. I’m better mid game than early, so I try to get decently kitted and then go hunting outdoors.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

New Zealand can eat me posted:

That sinking feeling when you're playing solo and you see this:

You know it's gonna end like this:

I can't be hosed to send them an email but if someone else cares enough to, feel free to include this guy! (if you didn't know the report button at the end of a match is for metrics only)

You know there's a report feature built right into the game right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
they could just tweak their cheat detection to check if the name has qun and it has won a game in the first 5 games of the account creation

• Locked thread