Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

E: see post below. Thanks for clarification and sorry that I added to the confusion there

Mechanic Catte Taxxe

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Can you explain this? Because I've always heard of BMEP being torque per displacement, and BSFC being completely independent of displacement.

Lol whoops, that was a brain fart on my part, good catch.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

E: see post below. Thanks for clarification and sorry that I added to the confusion there

Mechanic Catte Taxxe

The Australian version of this picture is just filled with spiders.

Spider Tax.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DiggityDoink posted:

The Australian version of this picture is just filled with spiders.

Spider Tax.

If you disturb the thunder caverns, you will kill my millions of children.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Combat Theory posted:

This is Kerosene, but i find the video calming in a sense. Must be fun to work with these huge Powerplants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOeXKWRxaMc

I always like feeling like a criminal when I buy kerosene.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Horrible operator failure:

https://i.imgur.com/3AZDNvL.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Step 1: Turn off all the spinny things before entering an area with a something with a hose/cord hanging off the back of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Step 2: If you didn't perform step 1, let go of the hose before you get sucked into the machinery.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I saw that coming a million miles away.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Cojawfee posted:

Step 1: Turn off all the spinny things before entering an area with a something with a hose/cord hanging off the back of it.

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't lock-out tag-out procedures on this sort of equipment but I guess I shouldn't be.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I went in one of those automatic ones where the brushes are mounted on a gantry that moves back and forward .
They kept their pressure washer in there and the hose got tangled in the chain that moved the gantry.

I watched, helpless, as the pressure washer was slowly dragged into the mechanism until the 5m of hose brought the whole thing to a shuddering and shaking halt around me.

I spent the next 20 mins trapped in my car, whilst I learnt an awful lot of Romania and Estonian swearwords.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't lock-out tag-out procedures on this sort of equipment but I guess I shouldn't be.

I'm not surprised that some random carwash doesn't implement lockout/tagout.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xzzy posted:

Step 2: If you didn't perform step 1, let go of the hose before you get sucked into the machinery.

This NOT happening is the most surprising thing. Dude's got a grip.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not surprised that some random carwash doesn't implement lockout/tagout.

The 20yo and half-broken carwash at the gas station I worked at over 10 years ago would automatically shut itself off for a variety of reasons, amongst them, if anything bumped a roller or scrubber. I'm legit surprised the carwash was still running with him that close or that it didn't stop the moment it felt any resistance.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Fermented Tinal posted:

The 20yo and half-broken carwash at the gas station I worked at over 10 years ago would automatically shut itself off for a variety of reasons, amongst them, if anything bumped a roller or scrubber. I'm legit surprised the carwash was still running with him that close or that it didn't stop the moment it felt any resistance.

That sounds like the kind of sensor that quickly 'breaks' and is 'fixed' by bypassing at the type of establishment that lets dudes drag hoses around spinning assemblies.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fermented Tinal posted:

I had a loss at a car wash that was built in 1954. A great deal of the line equipment was OEM, as it was built like a tank and easy to repair & fab parts for it. It's a death trap.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

how many meters of hose were on that hose reel?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enough to make one hell of an "adult swing" :quagmire:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure where to post, this seems close enough.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

My buddy's Cooper S continues to give him CEL. He's finally broken after a HG scare and wants to unload the thing.

I sent him that photo at lunch and he threw a roll at me :classiclol:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

My next jack o lantern for sure

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/katelibc/status/923397466531102720

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

that is downright impressive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Staplerfahrer Klaus II: Electric Boogaloo

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

When a forklift becomes structural :stare:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

that is downright impressive.

I bet it made a noise, too.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Not so uncommon in the automotive manufacturing world.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

"Impressive" isnt doing this justice. The mind boggles

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Having caught a kerb or too at slow speeds, the speed that they would have been going would have hurt like a motherfucker smashing into the steering wheel.

And nobody actually wears the fitted seat belts, if fitted at all.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Were Rocky or Ken involved?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

Were Rocky or Ken involved?

And now I'm gonna hum "He tried to kill me with a forklift" for hours.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Puddin posted:

Having caught a kerb or too at slow speeds, the speed that they would have been going would have hurt like a motherfucker smashing into the steering wheel.

I think a curb is a bit different from a hollow steel tube.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Puddin posted:

fork lifts have seatbelts? huh. I guess I've never noticed...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
E: ^^^^ Yeah, they do. Most of the trucks where I work have interlocked and bright orange seatbelts and the operators are forced to use them because it'd be obvious if there wasn't a bright orange belt across their lap. My truck's seatbelt isn't interlocked (the seat is instead) and is dark, and I won't comment on my usage of it.

EE: We also have those stupid bright blue lights that put a spot on the ground for pedestrians to see oncoming. They work especially well when you have a pallet on the forks that's over 30" tall and wrapped in plastic. What's also great about them is pedestrians totally pay attention to them.

Some people might recognize the following as a crop from the image I've shown around as my "office" at work. If you look at the circled area you can see where a forklift hit the post square between the forks at a blazing 11km/h.

They had to get an engineer in to tell them what to do about the post and ultimately just welded what you see onto it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 27, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

chrisgt posted:

fork lifts have seatbelts? huh. I guess I've never noticed...

They do because if the thing starts to tip you really really want to stay in the seat instead of falling out and into the way of 8k pounds of vehicle and 4k pounds of whatever you had on the forks.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Puddin posted:

I always wore the seatbelt when I drove forklifts but I was always the resident warehouse square.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

They do because if the thing starts to tip you really really want to stay in the seat instead of falling out and into the way of 8k pounds of vehicle and 4k pounds of whatever you had on the forks.

Also, if they are on the forklift, and you don't wear them, your employer can get hammered with an OSHA fine.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Shifty Pony posted:

I am personally quite fond of the three panel comic Toyota helpfully provided on my ROPS as for what to do in the event of a tip over. I tried to find a copy of it online but failed. :smith:

It basically tells you to hold on and try to not die because a lap belt isn't gonna keep your head from meeting pavement.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Under previous ownership most of the fork truck operators wouldn't wear their seatbelts because they felt safer at the idea of being able to jump clear if the fork truck was going to go over. Now they wear them because they know if they don't they'll get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Under previous ownership most of the fork truck operators wouldn't wear their seatbelts because they felt safer at the idea of being able to jump clear if the fork truck was going to go over. Now they wear them because they know if they don't they'll get fired.

This is such a retarded attitude. The normal reflex is to jump down and try to run away, which results in getting crushed or pinned, and even if you did have the presence of mind to try and climb up as it fell it's more likely you'd slip and get crushed or pinned anyway.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I am personally quite fond of the three panel comic Toyota helpfully provided on my ROPS as for what to do in the event of a tip over. I tried to find a copy of it online but failed. :smith:

It basically tells you to hold on and try to not die because a lap belt isn't gonna keep your head from meeting pavement.

This is the lovely part, though. I guess put your arms up and let them take the force?