Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

I remember liking the original a lot, so that's great news. To Hulu!

Enjoy! The premiere has more misses than hits, but it pays off in the end imo. After that it's back to business as usual.

If anything the only big difference with the revival is they're allowed to be more gay, which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

I'm sorry if this comes off as pushy, but as a film lover and a hobbyist critic, Rotten Tomatoes kinda shits me off.

RT is actually fine and very helpful if you actually know how to read/use it and aren't an idiot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Good Place has convinced me that Ted Danson would have made an incredible Joker. Probably still could, even.

DivisionPost posted:

unlike Harry Brewis (AKA H. Bomberguy), I think it has a use as a general look on how the critical community feels about one thing or another

Hbomberguy being against review aggregates is surprising to me considering how super guilty he is of doing that "[media] I don't like is Objectively Bad/Good because [two hours of talking over footage]" style of internet critic hyperbole whenever he strays outside of his niche of dunking on internet nazis. Also because he still cares enough about reviews to have lead a failed boycott against Bethesda for not sending out review copies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

STAC Goat posted:

I do want to make a note to go read that 1 bad review after I binge the season.

I had to check to see if it was Armond White, just in case.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

The Good Place has convinced me that Ted Danson would have made an incredible Joker. Probably still could, even.

god drat I want this so bad now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I had to check to see if it was Armond White, just in case.

hahaha

e: Hulu has a 90 minute documentary on The Dana Carvey Show. wish me luck

precision fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 24, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Mann posted:

Dude has probably been sitting on that nefarious chuckle for decades and only used it to playfully get under Mary Steenburgen's skin

precision posted:

There's gotta be an extended segment about the product placement sketches, right?

(I remember liking The Dana Carvey Show, and also my mom being very worried that I was watching the Dana Carvey Show. I'd been watching SNL for years by then and that was fine, but apparently this primetime sketch show was just too much.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 24, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Guy Mann posted:

Hbomberguy being against review aggregates is surprising to me considering how super guilty he is of doing that "[media] I don't like is Objectively Bad/Good because [two hours of talking over footage]" style of internet critic hyperbole whenever he strays outside of his niche of dunking on internet nazis. Also because he still cares enough about reviews to have lead a failed boycott against Bethesda for not sending out review copies.

The Dark Knight Returns is the real Batman vs. Superman movie we deserved. Could even have Keaton or Clooney reprise as the aged Batman.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's no reason the Joker can't just be an old man. Doesn't even need an old Batman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched this week's episode of Ghosted and the show continues to improve. It helps that they've decided to ratchet up the goofy nature of the world so you have scenes of the main cast chanting another character's name because he's so awesome (right before he gets killed.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo that Bosch S3 finale twist!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo that Bosch S3 finale twist!

Yes! Such a great show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I'm subjecting myself to the 9th season of X-files. Is there a single tv show that wasn't made worse when they decided to put a baby in it?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

hahaha

Just watched it, it’s not the greatest documentary ever but the interviews were great (I mean, how could they not be, what with who they’re interviewing) and overall it’s solid.

The Dana Carvey Show is like the Velvet Underground’s first album—almost no one liked it or even understood it when it came out, and the full impact of it wasn’t felt until decades later. But man, what a freaking show.

Skinheads from Maine is still my favorite sketch from anything ever. Brilliantly simple, perfectly executed, and so, so, so goddamn funny. Not very quotable, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

So I'm subjecting myself to the 9th season of X-files. Is there a single tv show that wasn't made worse when they decided to put a baby in it?

I wanna say Parks & Rec but that's because they had the good sense to do a timeskip so you were spared a bunch of lazy pregnancy and baby jokes, and even then there was a lot I didn't like about that final season even if the ending was great.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Ed Begley taking time to remind us that Season 5 is still a thing.

https://twitter.com/edbegleyjr/status/922663646269906949

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh so this is when Gillian Anderson started talking like Jodie Foster.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Every show with a baby.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Every show with a baby.

Obviously you can't get worse if you have a baby from the outset. Although I'm curious if removing babies from shows like Dinosaurs or Rugrats would improve them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Obviously you can't get worse if you have a baby from the outset. Although I'm curious if removing babies from shows like Dinosaurs or Rugrats would improve them.

It might get worse if they have a plot line when the kid dies.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who's only exercise is running from commitment. I'm firmly, anti-baby.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dinosaurs was perfect and the baby must remain.

e: also Maggie is a dope baby. Or was. I haven't watched The Simpsons in forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

It might get worse if they have a plot line when the kid dies.

They can just have the baby go up the stairs and never come back down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Babies are the worst. Cats are the best.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

Cats are the best.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Raising Hope baby was cool.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

Cats are the best.

There need to be more TV shows that have cats, I mean ALF and TNG aren't enough :catbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elementary has a pet turtle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Lily on Modern Family was best as a baby/toddler. The girl now is just not a good actress.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Medullah posted:

Lily on Modern Family was best as a baby/toddler. The girl now is just not a good actress.

But OTOH, Jay and Gloria's kid who is the toddler of the family now is a very good actor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

Roz getting pregnant and having Alice on Frasier led to some solid comedy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Roz getting pregnant and having Alice on Frasier led to some solid comedy.

I don't even remember that. I do remember the show trying to pass off Jane Leeves' real-life pregnancy as Daphne gaining a bunch of weight and people making fun of her for it, which was a... novel approach.

I really want to rewatch Frasier but I'm scared it will have gross political opinions in it I didn't notice in my more innocent days.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

I would say that Big Bang Theory hasn't suffered from bringing a babby into the mix, but most of you loathe that show and I am perfectly willing to admit that it's not that great even though I do watch it.

I don't think the babby was the cause of HIMYM turning to poo poo, but turn to poo poo it did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

I would say that Big Bang Theory hasn't suffered from bringing a babby into the mix, but most of you loathe that show and I am perfectly willing to admit that it's not that great even though I do watch it.

I don't think the babby was the cause of HIMYM turning to poo poo, but turn to poo poo it did.

HIMYM turned to poo poo because the last like four seasons revolved around Ted being a garbage creep human being. He made Ross Geller look well-adjusted.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even remember that. I do remember the show trying to pass off Jane Leeves' real-life pregnancy as Daphne gaining a bunch of weight and people making fun of her for it, which was a... novel approach.

I really want to rewatch Frasier but I'm scared it will have gross political opinions in it I didn't notice in my more innocent days.

The worst Frasier gets in terms of gross opinions is some mild gay panic in the early seasons, usually coming from Frasier and Niles' dainty behavior.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IRQ posted:

BBT instead suffered from bringing Bernadette into the mix. Actually making Bernadette & Amy full cast members made the show unwatchable. Before it was my mindless TBS rerun watch right before bed. It was never good, but for some reason I watched it (like you I admit it). That said I can't watch any episodes with B & A as full cast members. Funny Amy wasn't that bad at first, but they changed her character so much it is not even the same character anymore.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 24, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My enjoyment of Amy has suffered from finding out Miyam Balik a victim blaming idiot and supports literal war crimes.

But the baby didn't mess up the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Big Bang Theory suffers from being insufferable.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I sometimes enjoy TBBT. Ever since I watched some youtube clip where they edited out the laugh track and I realized what monsters they are to each other it's been great.

Edit: It's still a very bad show. My wife likes it for some reason so I still end up watching it.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 24, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Croatoan posted:

I sometimes enjoy TBBT. Ever since I watched some youtube clip where they edited out the laugh track and I realized what monsters they are to each other it's been great.

Edit: It's still a very bad show. My wife likes it for some reason so I still end up watching it.

I showed my wife that youtube video, and she got mad at me. She said I ruined the show for her.

So I made her watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7NRONADJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
TBBT has some kind of insidious power - my grandmother never watched it until well after it entered syndication. Now she's seen all of them, watches the new episodes, and after far as I can tell she can't stand most of the characters. She hates Sheldon. Yet she keeps watching.

nate fisher posted:

I showed my wife that youtube video, and she got mad at me. She said I ruined the show for her.

So I made her watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7NRONADJ4

After only a few minutes of this, holy poo poo, I didn't realize this show was that bad.

• Locked thread