Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HAHAHA JUST KIDDING THEY HAD TO REOPEN HIS GODDAMNED CHEST

They just tell me that now. Jesus Christ. He's done and on his way to his room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I hate it when I can't find my 10mm socket when packing up too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQMJolaxmR8&t=37s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because of the extended procedure RhynoPop won't be waking up tonight so I locked his stuff up in his room, wrote him a note and took off. 13 hours in the hospital today. I think I've finally figured out this good son stuff. Thankfully my sister is taking a shift tomorrow and one of Dad's buddy's is doing wednesday. I'll swing in that night to check on him and then pop over on Thursday as well. Friday is a no go but Saturday his sister is arriving to take care of him through the recovery process.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:glomp: Good luck dude, that's one hell of a stressful situation. Get some rest.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hey all, do we have anyone in AI that actively works in the automotive industry? I'm looking to find a junior engineer position. I have long term interests in sensors and big data as I gain the knowledge to specialize.

I have a somewhat nontraditional background (non-computer science bachelor's) so I think it'll be tough to break in the normal careers websites. I'm starting the search to find recruiters I can talk to and figured I'd see here as well.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Hey all, do we have anyone in AI that actively works in the automotive industry? I'm looking to find a junior engineer position. I have long term interests in sensors and big data as I gain the knowledge to specialize.

I have a somewhat nontraditional background (non-computer science bachelor's) so I think it'll be tough to break in the normal careers websites. I'm starting the search to find recruiters I can talk to and figured I'd see here as well.

I do, I think larrymer may as well but I’m not 100% sure. I’m in software/embedded systems and infotainment though which may not be as interesting to you

Are you in the Detroit area?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Michael Scott posted:

Do you want to write software or design hardware? I work for a New York startup you might be interested in, and I've got a friend who works for a company in Chicago that's applying machine learning to big Caterpillar diesel engines.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I do, I think larrymer may as well but I’m not 100% sure. I’m in software/embedded systems and infotainment though which may not be as interesting to you

Are you in the Detroit area?

I'm interested in any foot in the door, and I have a ton to learn at this point. Embedded systems and infotainment is right up my alley for where I want to go, eventually I'd love to be working on anything related to self-driving. Human-computer interaction would be fascinating too. I've done data analysis and DBA work so far but nothing in the auto industry.

Located in Chicago right now but I'm more than willing to relocate for the right gig.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 24, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I tangentially work with self driving (vehicle to vehicle communication) and they currently will only let people with masters degrees or higher actually touch that poo poo with the deep learning algos and all that

You’re gonna need to probably go back to school

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I tangentially work with self driving (vehicle to vehicle communication) and they currently will only let people with masters degrees or higher actually touch that poo poo with the deep learning algos and all that

You’re gonna need to probably go back to school

I noticed this! I looked at Uber's self-driving job listings and they were like all PhD recommended! Crazy stuff. An advanced degree is one of the possible paths forward. I don't have a need to work directly with the algorithms, V2V would be very interesting.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 24, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Michael Scott posted:

I noticed this! I looked at Uber's self-driving job listings and they were like all PhD recommended! Crazy stuff. An advanced degree is one of the possible paths forward. I don't have a need to work directly with the algorithms, V2V would be very interesting.

FYI, you probablu don't want uber on your resume anyhow. Resume poison, likely even more so in sel driving based on the whole stealing from google thing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah it’s cool.

Do you have any experience doing embedded programming beyond like arduino fuckery? Unfortunately there aren’t any “beginners welcome” positions that I’ve ever seen, either tangential or directly involved.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah it’s cool.

Do you have any experience doing embedded programming beyond like arduino fuckery? Unfortunately there aren’t any “beginners welcome” positions that I’ve ever seen, either tangential or directly involved.

Indeed I don't, that's the problem. I'm looking at projects I can work on to help build my portfolio on github for example.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Michael Scott posted:

Indeed I don't, that's the problem. I'm looking at projects I can work on to help build my portfolio on github for example.

You should throw some patches at rusEFI. Those guys are geniuses.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I need advice from the Learned Gentlegoons in AI, because I know there are a few people who have done transfers into engineering at least in here.

I'm planning out my last semester before I transfer to the university, and I only need to hold half time enrollment to get accepted, but because I've had to maintain status for an extra year because of a schedule gently caress-up, I'm almost done with the general education transfer scheme. On one hand, I could have it out of the way, but on the other hand it sounds smart to have some classes that aren't upper division math and CS so I don't lose my mind.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I do, I think larrymer may as well but I’m not 100% sure.

Yup, I'm an ME. Biggest chunk of my time has been in engine calibration (controls work, really) but I'm working on moving to chassis/suspension work. Autonomous stuff is huge as well, maybe I'll give that a go at some point.

PM me your resume and I'll see if there's anything I can recommend. You didn't really state your degree so I don't know what we're working with here. I was surprised to find there's people they still hire at my company without degrees...for engineering positions. Few and far between but I guess it can happen. However, they hire aerospace, electrical, computer, mechanical, pretty much any engineering degree would easily get you in the door.

Edit, now that I have a few more minutes: I worked for about 3.5 years at another company before coming here. I still took an entry level job and have moved on from there. I'm not sure what you're making now but entry level here is still pretty decent money (more than I was making at the other company by about 20%, lol), so don't be afraid to apply for entry stuff. I know my company used a staffing firm off site at the time which was a bit annoying but I just shot gun applied to a bunch of postings when they happened to be hiring a ton of people and got calls about a few of them. I know right now might be a bit of a slow time for the industry so it may be tough to find too many jobs at the moment but I would apply directly to the web sites of the big 3 2. (srsly don't work at Chrysler)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 24, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sinestro posted:

I need advice from the Learned Gentlegoons in AI, because I know there are a few people who have done transfers into engineering at least in here.

I'm planning out my last semester before I transfer to the university, and I only need to hold half time enrollment to get accepted, but because I've had to maintain status for an extra year because of a schedule gently caress-up, I'm almost done with the general education transfer scheme. On one hand, I could have it out of the way, but on the other hand it sounds smart to have some classes that aren't upper division math and CS so I don't lose my mind.

Take something interesting, it'll be a welcome break and a talking point on your cv.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I love my local tyre place:

"Oh, you want a brand that you've heard of? We'll have to order them in"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

HAHAHA JUST KIDDING THEY HAD TO REOPEN HIS GODDAMNED CHEST

They just tell me that now. Jesus Christ. He's done and on his way to his room.

Ugh, man.

My dad had open heart surgery exactly one year ago. Had two valves replaced and much of his heart "reconstructed," whatever that means. The doctor outright told him that he shouldn't have survived it. Gave him PTSD for awhile, and then every time his chest even remotely hurt (usually just his stitches or anxiety) he'd be in the hospital for a few days for observation.

The good news is that a year later he's pretty close to being back to normal. It's a long loving road, though.

He bought himself a Miata this past summer.

I know the fear of having old parents. Mine are only 64 but between my dad's open heart surgery (and complete kidney failure as well, from the same infection) and my mom's congestive heart failure and recurrance of breast cancer in the past year, it's been loving brutal. Every single phone call had me terrified to answer for awhile.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Take something interesting, it'll be a welcome break and a talking point on your cv.

That's not an option, LOL. It's a choice between "take a couple of bullshit history and government classes taught at a crummy middle school level" and "still need to finish my GEs when I transfer, which might be nice time-wise".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rest in peace, rascal

biting the mailman and chasing squirrels in doggy heaven now

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So sad :(:(:(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sorry TT, it's not an easy thing to have to do.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
What happened to Rascal? Sorry for your loss TT

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Maksimus54 posted:

What happened to Rascal? Sorry for your loss TT

he bit my brother in law's friend after biting 7 or 8 other people :/

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Jesus, I'm sorry. Did you try a professional dog trainer at any point? Hope that's not an insensitive question. My parents' dog has been a little bitey but we never really got him professionally trained.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
RIP doggo :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Jesus, I'm sorry. Did you try a professional dog trainer at any point? Hope that's not an insensitive question. My parents' dog has been a little bitey but we never really got him professionally trained.

yeah, we had three of them. They all individually said that they think his mother or father was inbred and that it was a genetic thing that made him so aggressive with anyone that basically wasn't me my wife or our siblings

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
gently caress, that sucks TT. Condolences. :cry:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah, we had three of them. They all individually said that they think his mother or father was inbred and that it was a genetic thing that made him so aggressive with anyone that basically wasn't me my wife or our siblings

Sorry man, lovely deal :(

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

rest in peace, rascal

:( RIP you beautiful photogenic bastard

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Sorry for the delay in writing, but here it is, back at my place! So, it turns out when the guy was showing me the car, he left the lights on... it wouldn't start. But once it was jumped it ran just fine the whole way back! Put some gas in it and it ran just fine the whole way back.

I had a local friend who used to work the Dallas Mecum auctions come with me, and he drove it the half hour back to my town. I wanted to practice on it when I was back in town. You were all right about it being easy to work with, I had it down in ten minutes and only ground the gears once. Now I'm havin' no issues with it around town!

So far the only sign of previous owner shenanigans I've seen is someone broke the trim panel when replacing the radio, which holds the top vents in place. What did they do to fix it? They simply glued the vents on the broken piece!

My friend is now calling it the PEE BABY

KakerMix posted:

:getin:
I love these things, super easy to work on, super simple and just a reliable cute little truck-ish thing. We got my wife this one, a snowbird vehicle here in Florida so it only has 36k miles on it (had to deal with the suspension, brakes, top, oil pan, tires and fuel tank filled with gunk from sitting for months at a time with a quarter tank or less).

This one seems to be similar; brakes, fluids, filters, and the top. The alignment is kind of buggered, but I'm getting it fixed free with my tires. The blower also doesn't work at all. I'm thinking it's a bad fuse, but I was told the AC wasn't working either. I'll tackle that issue in the spring. As long as the heater works, which it does, then all I need is that blower for now. I've gotta work the next few days so come Monday I'll be able to tear into it if it's more than a fuse.

As for the top, I'm looking at best-top's black tops, did you replace yours? I'm curious what brand you used. I'm also curious how that top actually goes down, the manual is kind of vague on some of it. Does the top fold back like a sunroof by itself or is it purely an ON/OFF only rig The manual made it sound like you could have the sunroof open by itself only.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 25, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Luxrage posted:

This one seems to be similar; brakes, fluids, filters, and the top. The alignment is kind of buggered, but I'm getting it fixed free with my tires. The blower also doesn't work at all. I'm thinking it's a bad fuse, but I was told the AC wasn't working either. I'll tackle that issue in the spring. As long as the heater works, which it does, then all I need is that blower for now. I've gotta work the next few days so come Monday I'll be able to tear into it if it's more than a fuse.

As for the top, I'm looking at best-top's black tops, did you replace yours? I'm curious what brand you used. I'm also curious how that top actually goes down, the manual is kind of vague on some of it. Does the top fold back like a sunroof by itself or is it purely an ON/OFF only rig The manual made it sound like you could have the sunroof open by itself only.

PEE BABY.
Our A/C issue was seal leaks around the compressor, otherwise it just needed a charge. Converted it and fixed it all up locally for around $400. We have a wonky blower as well, it only blows on the two highest settings but we just left it for now. It's some sort of box or control module, probably really similar issues to the ECU problems that Sidekicks/Trackers have. If you find yours doesn't start out of the blue one day chances are it's the ECU module.
For tops we bought ours from Amazon:
This full top and this bikini top

Both fit perfectly and seem to be nice quality, although we do wish we got the full top with the removable rear side windows like the OEM ones. You can unclip the front part of the roof and just fold it back, so it sits kind of like a canvas top on a Fiat 500. Should just be two clips, one on either side above the passenger and driver's heads.

Also cross-posting from the Steam thread in Games:

KakerMix posted:

Our first model was the Griffon pickup truck in 1905, when we founded our company. It is now Feb 1930, 4 months into the great depression and our 4th generation Griffon pickup is the best selling pickup in the United States. We've even pioneered an early 4WD system which has become standard equipment. Because of this it's proven to be very popular for military use and we've secured contracts with various governments across the globe, Sweden being the largest. The van version is contracted to commercial use in Pittsburgh and is a good seller as well.
We even had our first high-powered in-house designed sports car called the Thunder Road. It's powered by a cut-down version of a super-charged V8 that we originally designed for a bomber contract with the US Government (we didn't get that contract) 5 years later we adopted it to take part in the World Grad Prix to help bolster our racing image and drive sales. We adopted the chassis and engine from this sports car to a tourer that we developed at the same time, sales were booming.
Unfortunately the crash has decimated our sales, down by as much as 75% from 1927. Fortunately though our civilian and military contracts will carry our manufacturing capability without laying everyone off. We can easily last until the economy improves, same can't be said about the competition.
Our Beaufort sedan is the standard taxi for New York city, and is also the police cruiser for Los Angeles. It ended up being popular enough with them to drive a consumer version that is now the best-selling sedan in the United States.
We sold off Strongarm Sidney right before the crash. Strongarm Sidney was a tiny British manufacturer we bought for pennies on the dollar due to bankruptcy. We took possession, cut all their current models (God their lineup was a mess!) and sent our engineers to work designing them a sports car with that cut-down V8 I mentioned earlier. We put it into a sports car model they had, updated and modernized it. They ended up winning big in carious European races we entered it in. The model ended up being a huge success for them, so much so that we spun them off into a separate company for the second time in their existence. Lucky that we happen to sell them right before the crash, I have doubts they will survive the Depression.
Currently we have an ill-advised luxury limousine about complete the design phase to be put into production, we're still deciding if it's worth the materials to spin up production with the status of the economy. Rather not have a repeat of our terrible foray into diesel. We ended up having to scrap something like 35 thousand trucks and vans and quickly tool up gasoline versions of them. Diesel might sell in Africa or Europe, but not in the USA.
We're privately owned so stock prices aren't an issue with us, we have a large cash reserve and are ready to buy up the competition as the market decimates their businesses. :getin:

----------
Gear City is a fantastic car manufacturing tycoon game that his me perfectly in my love-this-game zone. It's super spergy, very 'crunchy' and is definitely not for everyone. Pretty ugly too but that doesn't bother me at all. It's very stats, spread sheets and sales figures oriented. It also happens to have a robust stock market simulation tied into it as well. If you are interested in cars, engines, manufacturing and companies it's a very excellent, deep game to sink hours and hours into. I started in New York city in 1905, but you can start anywhere in the world (major cities only) and any time from 1900 to 2030. It runs the gamut from cars, trucks, micro cars, engines, transmissions, trans-axles, drive systems, demands based on sex and income, balancing transport costs and dealership networks. It's loving great.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285110/GearCity/

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 25, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That's a sweet tracker. I love the color and the seats. I would absolutely rock a pink car.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

KakerMix posted:

PEE BABY.
Our A/C issue was seal leaks around the compressor, otherwise it just needed a charge. Converted it and fixed it all up locally for around $400. We have a wonky blower as well, it only blows on the two highest settings but we just left it for now. It's some sort of box or control module, probably really similar issues to the ECU problems that Sidekicks/Trackers have. If you find yours doesn't start out of the blue one day chances are it's the ECU module.
For tops we bought ours from Amazon:
This full top and this bikini top

Both fit perfectly and seem to be nice quality, although we do wish we got the full top with the removable rear side windows like the OEM ones. You can unclip the front part of the roof and just fold it back, so it sits kind of like a canvas top on a Fiat 500. Should just be two clips, one on either side above the passenger and driver's heads.

Thanks for that link to the tops, not only for the top options, but I saw in the "Customers Also Purchased" some new interior door handles! Mine have turned grey!

So a big update with the top, I mentioned going for a white top and was leaning on black, but I found a site with a VIN decoder & the manufacturer's data sheets. I had to buy 5 for $5 so I still have 4 left over... but anyways, look what I found:

Looks like it was white after all! I think I'll get it white after all!

Thanks for all your input, goons, it's helped me a TON with getting this Tracker! This really is the best auto forum on the internet!

edit: I also ordered the dealer brochure so I can see what option package mine has, if any, and see what wheel options it came with. Might upgrade to alloys at some point and I remember the Geo ones being somewhat neat.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 25, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

rest in peace, rascal

Condolences man. You did what you could :(

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Cage posted:

That's a sweet tracker. I love the color and the seats. I would absolutely rock a pink car.

It's not pink

It's MAN-GENTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rip, Rascal. You were a good doggo when you weren't being a bad doggo. :(

• Locked thread