Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Specifically it was when you hear that ear busting whining for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Apparently Hidden Agenda has been delayed in europe less than a week before launch due to translation issues. Urrrgh. What horror games are good to play if you have a group of friends over?

Friday the 13th

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Anyone got any opinions on Welcome to Hanwell?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Agnostalgia posted:

I just finished the game and all the dlc and i still don't know how or when everybody ended up in the STEM. Like, kidman volunteered but at some point everyone else had to be rounded up and put in bathtubs and we are never told how that was accomplished. Not real sure why that patrol cop was put in either.

Oxxidation has it right and you must have glossed over it in the DLC because it's explained there, Jimminez created a wireless signal for STEM that could pull people into it without having to be physically connected to the bathtub. Presumably they passed out in the patrol car and were then relocated to the STEM room in the Asylum.

What is weird is that Sebastian, Joseph and Connelly were relocated and plugged into STEM physically but Kidman wasn't, when she woke up she was standing at the time. I dunno if that's just an oversight or if there's a specific reason she wasn't directly connected like the others were.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oxxidation has it right and you must have glossed over it in the DLC because it's explained there, Jimminez created a wireless signal for STEM that could pull people into it without having to be physically connected to the bathtub. Presumably they passed out in the patrol car and were then relocated to the STEM room in the Asylum.

What is weird is that Sebastian, Joseph and Connelly were relocated and plugged into STEM physically but Kidman wasn't, when she woke up she was standing at the time. I dunno if that's just an oversight or if there's a specific reason she wasn't directly connected like the others were.

In the intro Kidman doesn't react to the sound, a detail I literally didn't notice until five minutes ago. It makes sense that she gathers the bodies then Mobius sends her in which is why she' conveniently in the ambulance with Leslie and Jimenez.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just finished Soul Suspect, it was alright. Although I'm bored of this kind of twist where it's just "The Killer was this other person all along" because I'm always assuming that anyway, that the killer isn't who the player has been led to believe and there will be a twist on things to recontectualise stuff, then the rest of the game comes down to the character's learning what the player already knew/guessed It's a boring ending nowadays even when executed well because almost every murder mystery does it.

Going back to the mystery in Get Even as a point of comparison, I had long guessed that Black was the mastermind by the halfway point - the point is though that Red knew that as well and was making no secret of his suspicions - the game knew that the player knew that and was fine with it even throwing some cursory misdirection at the end of Black's arc. The real twist was that Grace survived the explosion and was the only character besides Rose and Lenore who was actually still alive. That was the surprise, Black was a decoy twist, something for the player to guess and feel smart so they'd forget about Grace entirely.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

In anticipation of the Halloween sale, I've got three really good games to talk about this coming week. For now, though... there's this.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM
13. F.E.A.R.
14. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
15. F.E.A.R. 3
16. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
17. Bloody Streets
18. Layers of Fear
19. Dark Fall 2: Lights Out
20. Painkiller: Black Edition
21. Doorways: The Underworld

22. Doorways: Holy Mountains of Flesh

I held out hope that Saibot Studios would eventually hit upon a working horror formula by the end of the Doorways series. Prelude (from what I had seen) was a lot of wandering with very little happening, and Underworld had some ungainly monsters crammed into cramped halls and tiresome puzzles. There were hints of greatness hiding in the atmosphere and sound design though, which helped birth the hope that this one might be the one that finally gets it right. And while Holy Mountains of Flesh is the richest and most polished entry of the series, it’s still only halfway again towards being a solid horror game.

Those ooey-gooey peaks promised in the title surround a remote mountain town in Mexico, home of an infamous and reclusive serial killer. You won’t be exploring the real thing of course, instead delving directly into the mind of the villain himself to subdue and apprehend him… somehow. That means the village you explore is floating in a hellish, DOOM-like void of crimson clouds and ominous lightning. Your goal lies in a temple devoted to the Saint of Flesh, a lamprey-faced thing who seems set as the main antagonist of the series here, despite never being seen before this installment.

I’m talking around the plot a bit because it’s mostly absent within the game, despite the claims of “complex story” on the store page. You’re free to wander the village between trips to the few key locations you must explore, but you’ll find little of substance in the desolate, poorly-modeled shacks. Sometimes you’ll get a funky visual effect accompanying an audio flashback to someone coughing or arguing, nothing that actually advances the plot in any way. Your protagonist is also far quieter in this game, refusing to utter exclamations at every turn like he did in Underworld and just voicing the rare notes scattered about.

That’s how hollow this game feels, that even the perfunctory notes seem rare! There’s not much more to look forward to in the major locations of the game either, just a handful of notes and simple puzzles. I admit they’re more creative than the awful valve mazes of Underworld, but not by a whole lot. In the school, for example, you have to stay in well-lit areas lest a spindly, invisible zombie man pounce from nowhere and eat your face. In practice this will mean pushing around carts of boxes and TVs, flipping light switches, and eventually making an over-complicated coolant mixture for the generator. All this is to get a ceremonial dagger, along with maybe half a dozen notes and one single collectible if you think to retrace your steps a bunch at the end.

In many ways, Holy Mountains of Flesh feels like a step backwards from Underworld despite having more actual gameplay. I admit the floating village looks neat but is so well-lit and nonthreatening that the game loses a lot of the oppressive atmosphere that worked so well for the previous title. The monsters too are less frightening, limited to more or less stationary beings that unceremoniously grab you and kill you if you get their gimmick wrong. And while the poor environment design wasn’t a huge knock against the tunnels and pits of Underworld, here they hugely limit the experience. Buildings simply look wrong (and not in the good horror way), like setpieces not meant to be lived in or used for anything more than scenery.

Even if you appreciate the barren environs and shallow puzzles here, it’s going to last you three hours at most. There are only three key areas, and I’ll remind you that wandering the village gets you almost nothing of note. You’ll find no shortage of better (and longer) horror adventures out there, more than enough to keep you out of this lackluster series. I almost hate to see it end like this, with progress towards a legitimately good horror game ending before arriving, but there’s no avoiding it. Holy Mountains of Flesh is an appropriate end to the Doorways saga, another attempt at atmospheric horror that never really gets fleshed out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Has anyone delved into Doki Doki Literature Club? As weird as it is I have seen let's plays of it and it's actually a surprisingly good horror game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i played it. it felt like all the dating sim stuff kind of goes on for too long, especially with how strongly it's advertised that the game is not what it appears.

also i kind of just hate this sort of fourth-wall twist. i expect it all the time now and it feels meaningless. i liked the beginning when you're writing poetry and the selection of words to choose from+who likes them starts to form a kind of eerie pattern. maybe it would have been really strong if there were just a subtle clues that something was really wrong. but when glitches and photorealistic eyes started to appear my reaction was just [yeah whatever]

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Could have originally been an inconsistency, but they explain it in the sequel; All Mobius members have a STEM chip implanted in their heads that maintains a two way tunnel between them and the system. They basically have an always live VPN to Horror Matrix. It's idiotic if you try to apply reason to it, considering the incident with Ruvik, the current incident, the fact that before and between the two incidents random subjects & Mobius employees have started turning into Elmer's Glue zombies, you can easily get stuck in the system if the littlest thing goes wrong and the only way they've developed for emergency egress has a 75% chance of poofing your consciousness out of existence, but whateva. I mean, it's not even....

SUPER SPOILER BELOW

...that the big bads are callously testing this experimental world domination device on hapless employees while they iron out the kinks in STEM. No, that would be something reasonably evil that a normal idiotic organization like Umbrella would do. The big brains at Mobius, however, felt it wise to stick the chip in everyone's heads, top brass included, so when STEM's core goes rogue and sends a kill command, the entire centuries old shadow government is wiped out instantly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Has anyone delved into Doki Doki Literature Club? As weird as it is I have seen let's plays of it and it's actually a surprisingly good horror game.

There's a main thread + SA LP going for it right now actually!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Nippon Ichi Software was nice enough to give me a key for this one to include in my month of spooks, and I ended up liking it quite a bit. I think I got it because the sequel comes out tomorrow.

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM
13. F.E.A.R.
15. F.E.A.R. 3
17. Bloody Streets
18. Layers of Fear

23. Yomawari: Night Alone

Cuteness and horror go together like chocolate and orange; not everyone is going to appreciate the combination, but those that do find it delicious. I’m not talking about an adorable doll coming to life and murdering people, I’m talking about adorable characters struggling against adorable antagonists. Cuteness doesn’t take me out of the moment, instead I find it enhances that key element of horror where you are faced with something familiar or comforting that has been corrupted in some way. Yomawari: Night Alone does just that, taking charming doodles and drawings and teaching you to fear and distrust them. It might also teach you to hate them, but with enough patience you’ll find a fine tale of terror here.

Your button-eyed, bobble-headed protagonist is out walking her dog one night in a place she very obviously should not be. A sharp, tragic shock follows that leaves the little lass all alone in the night, searching for her missing family. Her search takes her all across her darkened neighborhood and the surrounding rice fields, forests, factories, and other haunted places. She’s not really alone though, because on this particular night there are more spirits out than munchkins on Halloween. And these are out for blood, not candy.

The game plays out over seven chapters, each one starting from the relative safety of the little girl’s home. She’ll decide a goal for herself, usually following a lead into a specific part of her town, and then you’re left to guide her. The map is quite open, moreso as you get into later chapters, so there’s plenty of exploring to do if you’re up for finding weird monsters and collectibles. In addition to the dozens of items you can find, there are certain spirits you can only encounter in specific places or under special conditions, as well as ones just hanging around to creep you out.

This gets at what’s so special about Yomawari, and why its atmosphere is so effective. The open map allows you to go wherever you feel like and see what you want to see, and early on it’s going to be confusing and terrifying. The narrow, twisting streets of rural Japan can hide all sorts of secrets, with mysterious shrines and suspiciously vacant lots right in the middle of neighborhoods. When you find a new place or encounter a new spirit, you’re not going to know how safe you are or what you might uncover if you delve deeper. Hostile spirits are often obvious but others might simply stand around, staring at nothing, or vanish without a trace. They’re as mercurial and unpredictable as you might imagine ghosts would be, at least until you learn their habits.

The game mechanics support this feeling of unease, but can also turn it into one of frustration. When you get near a spirit you’ll hear your heartbeat, rising in intensity as you draw closer. You have a generous sprint meter for scooting around town but it drains faster the closer you are to monsters, making escape a difficult proposition if you get too close. You can also hide in bushes and behind signs, obscuring your vision and leaving you to judge when it’s safe by how hard your heart is beating. And then you have usable items like rocks and salt which can distract or slow enemies to help you slip away.

All of this is great, but it’s not applied in a very well thought-out manner. Most of your usable items are hard to use effectively and some are only effective on one or two enemies. Some enemies can be evaded or juked easily while others will pursue you relentlessly. And sometimes the rules themselves break down, with no heartbeat for spirits that charge out of nowhere, or pounding heartbeats for ones that are completely benign (as far as I know). These outliers produce memorable moments of terror or dread, but can frustrate when they lead to death. If something catches you, you die and head back to the last shrine you stopped at or checkpoint in story-heavy areas. One-hit kills are always a recipe for aggravation, and a few of the “boss” spirits can be extremely hard to avoid until you get totally familiar with their encounters after a dozen deaths or so.

There were a few spirits, the Grudge girl (of course there’s a Grudge girl) and the factory thing in particular, that made me consider giving up on the game. But these moments of frustration are surrounded by creepy hikes through the Japanese countryside, skirting past drowned spirits and human-faced dogs to find cryptic notes scribbled in crayon. The bizarre, otherworldly appeal of Silent Hill and Siren is here in small places, obscured by the soft shapes of your doll-like protagonist and the sketchbook weirdness of the spirits after her. It’s hard to tell if you’re wandering a haunted town or haunted by your own demons, and that uncertainty is what draws a lot of people to Japanese horror in the first place.

I was honestly surprised at how often Yomawari could startle me, with spirits bursting out of alleyways and narrow escapes being far too narrow for comfort. But I was also surprised at how often it could frustrate me, when I had to repeat those escapes a dozen times or retrace steps over and over. You have to approach it with the right mindset, one ready to learn the quirks of quirky horrors and comb the streets for lost shoes and dolls. With a warm and inviting art style and delightfully sharp sound design, it’s a great package to spend hours wandering around in. Yomawari features some quality weird horror from Japan in a dark, colorful world to explore, and that’s plenty to keep me poking around.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone tried Welcome to Hanwell yet? Looking for something to tide me until Wolfenstein 2 hits, but would appreciate any reviews first.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I don't know, but I found a demo for you. https://nathanseedhouse.itch.io/welcome-to-hanwell-

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Bogart posted:

I don't know, but I found a demo for you. https://nathanseedhouse.itch.io/welcome-to-hanwell-

I tried that earlier but the Dropbox link is returning a 404, and I don't think it's my NoScript loving things up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

GulagDolls posted:

i played it. it felt like all the dating sim stuff kind of goes on for too long, especially with how strongly it's advertised that the game is not what it appears.

also i kind of just hate this sort of fourth-wall twist. i expect it all the time now and it feels meaningless. i liked the beginning when you're writing poetry and the selection of words to choose from+who likes them starts to form a kind of eerie pattern. maybe it would have been really strong if there were just a subtle clues that something was really wrong. but when glitches and photorealistic eyes started to appear my reaction was just [yeah whatever]

I've only seen up to after the end of the first chapter, but oh man Sayori's fairly well done portrayal of depression, only to be followed IMMEDIATELY by "spooky suicide!!" felt super exploitative and lovely to me. Maybe it justifies it later but that's the point where I would have said "gently caress this poo poo" and uninstalled. Also it's pretty heavy handedly foreshadowing it's twists. So far I'm super unimpressed, but hopefully it picks up considering how many people love it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

I've only seen up to after the end of the first chapter, but oh man Sayori's fairly well done portrayal of depression, only to be followed IMMEDIATELY by "spooky suicide!!" felt super exploitative and lovely to me. Maybe it justifies it later but that's the point where I would have said "gently caress this poo poo" and uninstalled. Also it's pretty heavy handedly foreshadowing it's twists. So far I'm super unimpressed, but hopefully it picks up considering how many people love it.

i'll just spoiler this whole post. it talks about the game as a whole again
i feel like that's probably the strongest part, because the glitch stuff that comes later is just SO goofy. there IS a reason as to why, in the narrative, that scene makes sense, but it plays into the whole metafiction [the game is alive!!!] thing which, i am just super not a fan of because it always takes me out of the game more than anything else possibly could. i think the sentient anime girl would have to stay on my computer and keep saying things/producing text files for several years to be effective.

i feel like I know what the game might've been going for, it is was going for anything, or at least the fear i WANTED it to play on, was the fear that some parts of ourselves are just immutable, or we can't affect reality around us to any kind of significant degree. it's a pretty horrible thought but one i think a lot of people struggle with. maybe having the game just be actually, a dating sim, that always ended up badly (maybe not...um...as badly as it goes in the actual game) no matter what route you take or how much you cheated (or having everything feel really hollow and fake if you cheated) would've felt better to me, but the glitch stuff....kind of really hosed with the tone of what was going on.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

This is one of the more effective horror games I've played this month, and it's only $4 normally if it sounds good to you.

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM
13. F.E.A.R.
15. F.E.A.R. 3
17. Bloody Streets
18. Layers of Fear
23. Yomawari: Night Alone

24. IMSCARED

Tales of haunted video games have been around about as long as video games themselves. Attempts to capture that magic in an actual game don’t tend to work out, though. It’s one thing to hear a story and imagine the reality of it, and another entirely to play through a simulation of that story yourself. We’re getting into brain-frazzling meta-narrative territory here but that’s where IMSCARED hails from, that kitschy gray area that tries to convince you it’s a haunted video game with a completely straight face. And despite the chunky sprites and awkward controls, it actually works. In fact, it might be because of those low-rent features that it works.

There’s no point in delving into the plot here, because it’s the kind that only means anything once you seek it out and see it for yourself. IMSCARED is very up-front about being a haunted video game; it doesn’t pretend to be one thing and then turn haunted, it simply is what it is. Before you begin, the game even warns you that it will try to trick you, and also that it will create files on your desktop that relate to the game. Then you start out in a low-res approximation of an apartment with a door labeled EXIT that “needs a heart in order to open it”. From here you’re off to explore inexplicable hallways, mansions, hedge mazes, and other places all while trailed by an off-putting presence called White Face.

There’s no question that weird poo poo is afoot, and you’re going to get creepy moments of being watched and chased right from the start. You might think that a game that looks like a Commodore 64 trying to run Wolf 3D would be too ugly to be scary, but you’d be wrong. IMSCARED uses every part of its retro presentation to the fullest, throwing up oppressive fog and harsh transitions and unsettling sprite ghosts at just the right moments to make you jump. The sound design is a huge stand-out here as well, doing work with unnerving ambient tracks and little sound effects at, again, just the right moments. The pacing here is the real MVP, spacing out scares so that just when you think you’re clear, something gets right through your defenses.

All of this is accomplished without screamers or cheap jumpscares, either. The worst I’ve been rattled has been from unexpected scene shifts or just the digital apparitions catching up to me during chases. Something about how brazenly the game leans into being a haunted house of a title makes the spooks work that much more, as if some small part of me is willing to believe these strange sprites actually have some malevolence behind them. The out-of-game elements deserve a lot of credit here as well, starting with notes that flesh out the story and then moving on to key files and YouTube links necessary to progress. They give the game a real-world presence which builds on that same urban legend motif that works so well. The game also does one particular thing here that I won’t spoil, but is absolutely brilliant and caught me completely off-guard.

It’s not a straight shot through the game by any means, in large part because of these external gameplay elements. A large part of the game is quitting out (or being kicked out) at certain times, only to return to a different segment. Sometimes you’ll be prompted to enter text that determines where in the story you’ll end up, or you’ll need to do something to those additional files that changes something in the game. As good as this structure is for selling the dangerous, unstable atmosphere of the game, it can make progressing past certain parts rather confusing. The further you get into it the more difficult the puzzles are to solve and the harder the items are to find as well, so be prepared for a precipitous learning curve over a very short time if you want to see everything this one has to offer.

The game is roughly split into three acts, with a “proper” ending for each. Getting the final one requires you to get all the achievements and follow some pretty thin puzzle logic, something I haven’t managed to do yet. But the journey so far has been plenty interesting, engaging, and above all, terrifying. I did not expect this game to get me as good as it did but I got to a point where I dreaded playing it, dreaded walking down darkened halls, and dreaded turning around every time it would taunt me with “I’m right behind you” or the like. IMSCARED understands horror, understands what makes people look over their shoulder in the real world, and builds itself around those notions to terrifying effect. It’s a an indie horror gem, a short one and a rough one, but one that should not be missed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Too Shy Guy posted:

The sound design is a huge stand-out here as well, doing work with unnerving ambient tracks and little sound effects at, again, just the right moments. The pacing here is the real MVP, spacing out scares so that just when you think you’re clear, something gets right through your defenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIpWOUAqrz4

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah imscared is one of my favorite horror games. It looks like the steam version is somewhat different from the freeware version I played a couple of years back. that one didn't require you to do anything to game files.

what really got me was when all the darkness became bright light..it felt very weird to be way more uncomfortable in white space than blackness. i think there's something very scary in general about light looking wrong.

oh wow there's a lot more stuff in the steam version

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 24, 2017

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
That bit was terrifying for me because you wouldn't be able to see whiteface coming. Made such a good OH poo poo I GOTTA MOVE moment even though there is no actual scare there

Also I didn't trust it after I played. I was sure it was still up and running somewhere, ready to just pop whiteface up on the monitor. A great horror, but it's hard to get other people to play it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
not me, after reading that review i really want to try it out. that psychological stuff reminds me of those goofy tricks eternal darkness would like to play on you and a retro veneer that i dig

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've seen a lot of people immediately go 'ew it looks like minecraft' and goddamn are they missing out

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
as ive posted before i got annoyed at the maze where you have to collect body parts or something and never played again, after hearing there was a worse part later

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I vaguely remember a game that looked aesthetically similar to imscared. It was a modern telling of Blue Beard where you marry a dude in a castle and told not to look in a certain room. Of course, you look in that room and it's filled with the corpses of his past wives. What was this?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Relin posted:

as ive posted before i got annoyed at the maze where you have to collect body parts or something and never played again, after hearing there was a worse part later

after playing through it just now, I do have to say that these puzzles are... very bad. just some of the worst. i DO like the maze one though.

al-azad posted:

I vaguely remember a game that looked aesthetically similar to imscared. It was a modern telling of Blue Beard where you marry a dude in a castle and told not to look in a certain room. Of course, you look in that room and it's filled with the corpses of his past wives. What was this?

Judith?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

after playing through it just now, I do have to say that these puzzles are... very bad. just some of the worst. i DO like the maze one though.

Judith?

Judith looks about right.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

The metro puzzle is singularly terrible, I don't think the audio clues for that part work right. On the bright side it's not too hard if you keep running as hard as possible towards the noises.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I cracked open Dying Light since playing it for a bit and assuming it was just another Dead Island.

UHHHH, that first night was maybe the scariest thing in any game. I'm only just now about to sometimes defend myself.
Keeping track of time is so crucial because the darkness brings horrors.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Inzombiac posted:

I cracked open Dying Light since playing it for a bit and assuming it was just another Dead Island.

UHHHH, that first night was maybe the scariest thing in any game. I'm only just now about to sometimes defend myself.
Keeping track of time is so crucial because the darkness brings horrors.

Dying Light rules and the game has received an insane amount of post-release support. The curve where the game transitions from nighttime being scary to a zombie-killing Parkour Power Fantasy happens mayyyybe a little bit too early IMO but it's still a ton of fun

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I picked up Dying Light on goon recommendation during the Summer Sale for me and two friends (I forgot if this thread or the sale thread told me it's worth it) and man... I could not gently caress with that game. Actually none of us could, the parkour was really fun but the combat is soooooo incredibly bad we stopped after 6 hours. Maybe we were missing something but all of our Melee attacks were absolutely worthless and we never found any guns. I actually don't even know if guns are a thing in the game. It's RPG quest system and crafting system are also just tedious and bad. Like, I REALLY want to like Dying Light and actually get back into it and actually finish it but if the gameplay never changes up or that there's something major that I'm missing I'll probably just uninstall it.

The evenings were scary as poo poo and having the whole party split up and get lost in the dark because we were being chased was awesome.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Dying Light's combat was a little better than Dead Island's, but it still wasn't very good. Didn't stop me from dropkicking everybody.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The point of Dying Light is that you suck and can't kill anything at the start and slowly work your way up to being a zombie killing whirlwind. Unfortunately 'slowly' means after about the first five hours.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
The Dark Messiah boot is what saved the combat in Dying Light for me.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The best part of Dying Light is sitting in a safehouse at night and realising that only a dinky UV light stood between you and death

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'll never forget my first night in Dying Light. It's an amazing experience.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like the game overall but seriously the melee is garbage. Like, it's so inconsistent on whether or not the zombie loving dies, otherwise I can be using a really high-level weapon and wailing on the most basic zombie hoping that maybe it'll die before this weapon shatters in my hand despite being brand new. And then sometimes the drat things dies in one hit from a lovely plank of wood. It makes no sense and really makes me not want to play any of it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I actually like the melee in Dying Light, I think the parkour tends to be garbage, and results in my death way more often than the melee. Losing at melee means you'll take attacks, but often the parkour is the only thing keeping you from one of the crazy bullshit night zombies (that you can basically never fight without a gun), and it stops working at just the right moment to kill you. Or, you find that the top of a high ledge you climbed up is marked invisibly as a no-parkour ledge, and the main character ends up tic-tacing off it to his death because he can't grab on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Got Observer on sale and digging it for the first hour. It’s kind of clunky in a way but the different vision modes and setting are right up my alley. (It’s an alley full of vision modes and settings)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I picked up imscared based on this thread thinking I'd enjoy it. Noped the gently caress out after the game's first scare.

It sounds objectively dumb I know, but computers or electronics in general not behaving the way they're supposed to elicits probably the closest thing to actual terror I've felt. Even if it's only for a second before my brain kicks in and understands what's going on. Like even if my computer bluescreens, there's at least a split second of actual fear. It's hard to describe. I mean jump scares are jump scares. You yell, it gets you, you move on.

I think it has something to do with me growing up with a C64 and the way that 5.25" drive would grind if you entered a wrong command or didn't have a disk inserted.