Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I mean they just took a snapshot of players currently in activities at a certain time each day, that's really not a good metric for anything

Or maybe not people are bad at interpreting stuff and I shouldn't trust people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PathAsc posted:

I legit miss the days of html fansites and ad free YouTube.

Just use uBlock

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

DTR is part of the Destiny Ate My Balls webring

Well then I can be ok with that

actionjackson posted:

Just use uBlock

Actually I just use vimeo:smuggo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just like ping bars in game don't accurately reflect connection quality and lag, right?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

deadwing posted:

I mean they just took a snapshot of players currently in activities at a certain time each day, that's really not a good metric for anything

That's not what was being measured dude. They took the number of unique accounts in ANY activity over a 24hr period and split that up into PvE and PvP.

It's not a perfect stat and people were in fact using it wrong but the trend line for the stat is a pretty valid way to measure the health of a game. There's a reason almost every online fps tracks it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

That's not what was being measured dude. They took the number of unique accounts in ANY activity over a 24hr period and split that up into PvE and PvP.

It's not a perfect stat and people were in fact using it wrong but the trend line for the stat is a pretty valid way to measure the health of a game. There's a reason almost every online fps tracks it.

some dipshit said that and I trusted them, that's what I get for not wanting to watch a three minute video

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unique accounts participating in activities not accurate depiction of number of people playing the game: this is Trump's America.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I wonder if it counts logging in, looking at the character screen, then logging off and watching Netflix?

Cuz thats how I play D2

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

How! posted:

I wonder if it counts logging in, looking at the character screen, then logging off and watching Netflix?

Cuz thats how I play D2

No, doesn't count if you only hit the tower too, need to enter a pve or pvp zone

Source: wasted my time watching destiny trackers video

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

How! posted:

Cuz thats how I play D2

Bungie knows you did that but I'd be surprised if they passed it through to the public API, you probably have to start an activity to show up on DTR

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's no way this system is UNDER STATING population though, lol

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How! posted:

Cuz thats how I play D2

*after 100 plus hours

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
what happens when our resident assburger game data analyst verifies this game as dead?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Remember how end of life Destiny 1 had nothing but red bars in crucible because it mushed you into a match with the other 11 guys on your hemisphere?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bungie Baghdad Bob

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's no way this system is UNDER STATING population though, lol

This morning i logged in to look at Eververse and clean up my vault. I'm probably not playing tonight

It's me, the forgotten guardian

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

How upset do you think Bungie are about people not grinding for hours every day, considering that they not only designed the game to not be grinded every day but actively discourages you from doing so (with power levels of non-Milestone drops not going above a certain number, etc.)

The game sold a ton and unlike D1 all the initial reviews / first impressions to casuals were very positive, and those people will all likely be back for the expansions. It's us no lifers that are yelling that the house is on fire when we're probably not even in the right house

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Roman posted:

How upset do you think Bungie are about people not grinding for hours every day, considering that they not only designed the game to not be grinded every day but actively discourages you from doing so (with power levels of non-Milestone drops not going above a certain number, etc.)

The game sold a ton and unlike D1 all the initial reviews / first impressions to casuals were very positive, and those people will all likely be back for the expansions. It's us no lifers that are yelling that the house is on fire when we're probably not even in the right house

Yeah we know but let us be mad

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"bungie didn't intend for you to like it, and they already have your money"

Just like that, I'm calm and cool and serene

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Norns posted:

*after 100 plus hours

I live in a glass house and ill throw stones wherever the hell I like

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gently caress the stupid chest lockouts.

Did get my ramen banner finally

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"bungie didn't intend for you to like it, and they already have your money"
Just like that, I'm calm and cool and serene
Just to be clear I wasn't defending anything

And there are weird inconsistencies. Like for as much as they're focusing on Eververse, I'd think someone who grinds for hours would be far more likely to buy cosmetic stuff than someone who does their milestones on Tuesday, dicks around in Quickplay, then fucks off for the week. But I don't know poo poo about business, so

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chest lockout is the reason I pretty much don't bother anymore with planet mats: they contribute to lockout and are worth nothing really. I still don't get why hvt chests are just some tokens and Flashpoint mobs are worth nothing

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I still don't understand the purpose of those *named* yellow bar bosses who randomly appear on planets and don't drop anything other than a token and some glimmer, and a purple engram if you're really lucky. Like that one Cabal boss on Io with the shield who spawns mobs around him and is a pain in the rear end to kill, but doesn't drop anything when he dies.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Roman posted:

I still don't understand the purpose of those *named* yellow bar bosses who randomly appear on planets and don't drop anything other than a token and some glimmer, and a purple engram if you're really lucky. Like that one Cabal boss on Io with the shield who spawns mobs around him and is a pain in the rear end to kill, but doesn't drop anything when he dies.

The chance for a purple engram.
That's about the only reason you'd ever deal with them

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Roman posted:

Their purpose is to drop a token and maybe engram. What else would they be for.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Exactly

I think last night was the first time the raid even dropped more than one engram for me

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Roman posted:

That guy on Io was so idiot blueberries could worry about trying to kill him and failing while I tried to secure all 4 faction supplies by myself.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
Voidwalker blink is great in crucible...no one knows where the gently caress you end up. It's even worth having a relatively lame crucible super. Balancing factor: I usually don't know where the gently caress I am after I blink either.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I wouldn’t be surprised if Activision pressured Bungie to pressure the Destiny Tracker team to take it down.

Activision seems determined to hide the player counts in their COD games. They want people to see their decreasing sales.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Mill Village posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Activision pressured Bungie to pressure the Destiny Tracker team to take it down.

Activision seems determined to hide the player counts in their COD games. They want people to see their decreasing sales.

trials in a couple weeks with streamers moving to PC and COD nabbing other people should be interesting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mill Village posted:

If this is the case the API endpoint will also be disabled, we'll see if someone discovers this.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

haveblue posted:

If this is the case the API endpoint will also be disabled, we'll see if someone discovers this.

yeah, it's just an API so if activision were pissed they would have just had bungie disable that

i think it's more likely that what someone else said earlier is true: DTR makes its money from puffing up the game, and showing a daily population chart that might make people wary about playing doesn't help with that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any such pressure would be meaningless as the stats are produced by querying the open API, and to prevent it bungie would have to remove the ability for us to query the games we've played.

All it takes is someone else to crank out a new website showing activity.

edit - oops posted a little late, guess I shouldn't have done real work mid post

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The DTR guy says there was no pressure from Bungie and they removed it because of people interpreting it as a measure of the player base (as opposed to a measure of the trend of the engagement of the player base).

I see no reason to think he's lying, but I also think it's a monumentally dumb decision and looks extremely defensive/bad.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
"It's just a measure of how much people are logging in to engage with the game. That's no way a measure of how healthy the base is!"

?????

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It doesn't account for the people that log in, go to the Tower, and then sign off.

An integral part of the healthy population!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It doesn't account for the people that log in, go to the Tower, and then sign off.

An integral part of the healthy population!

need that daily dose of traveler ball

s

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PathAsc posted:

Chest lockout is the reason I pretty much don't bother anymore with planet mats: they contribute to lockout and are worth nothing really. I still don't get why hvt chests are just some tokens and Flashpoint mobs are worth nothing

Flashpoint mobs drop 1 token, no chest. You have to walk over and pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Flashpoint mobs drop 1 token, no chest. You have to walk over and pick it up.

It's funny how easy they are to miss. I'll wreck some yellow bar rear end in a top hat, and run off. Come back a few minutes later after a public event or something and there's a pile of glimmer chips and a green pyramid sitting on the ground.

I'll do the same thing for VIP chests, assuming the loot will pop into my inventory instead of spewing on the ground.