Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Latvia and Lithuania also both use the Euro now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah let me fix that real quick.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Saladman posted:

Yep. If you book in advance you can get "supersaver" tickets which are cheaper and are locked to a specific train (must be bought >25 hrs in advance and longer in advance bigger sales) but the normal tickets are for any train going on this route for the day you bought the ticket.

That makes things so much easier. Thanks!

Saladman posted:

It was 17C at a lift at 1700m yesterday that we passed, and I was drenched in sweat in shorts and a

I plan to layer with a short-sleeved shirt, long-sleeved, and windbreaker, and make sure my backpack has room to throw the jacket and/or extra shirt into. I was just going to wear jeans and hiking boots otherwise.

Saladman posted:

That sounds reasonable except the Geneva link to... Vienna? Grenoble or Lyon. Did you mean Valence and not Vienna?

No, I meant Vienna. I mean, basically it'd be a whole day on trains to get there or hop on a plane, but I'd have several days. But I'll probably just stick to Grenoble or Lyons. My French is far, far better than my German anyway!

Saladman posted:

If you have two full days in Zermatt definitely cross over with the lifts to Cervinia... If it's possible and easy to do that in summer. If so, enjoy the ski lift international border crossing.

I remember researching that and finding out that, nope, not that easy to do unless you can ski back. And I have never skiied in my life, so I think Cervinia is sadly out of the question.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Latvia and Lithuania also both use the Euro now.

Whoa, I didn't know that. RIP 500 Lat note, Singaporean $10,000, and soon the €500. Now the Swiss can reign supreme for high-density cash transfers. (Since who on earth would want Bruneian dollars.)

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Hey guys, I recently asked about Provence. I'm still going there but I am now doing a larger Europe trip so I have a few more questions. I'll be starting in Munich and with the very early arrival of my flight, I think I can manage to do 1 night in Munich and hit up 2 or 3 things plus the Beer Hall on my first night, and 1 thing in the morning before I take the train or drive a rental car to Triberg. Am I not giving Munich enough time?

Also, after Triberg and the Black Forest, I'm planning to stop for a night or two in either Murren or Gimmelwald on my way to Milan. This will be around May 11-13. Weather-wise, is this a good time to go? I'd like to do a day hike or rent a bike.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Depends what you want to do. Dachau is nearby if you want to be disgusted by humanity. There's a big palace if you've never seen any big imperial post-gunpowder palaces in Europe before. The city is nice to hang out in if the weather is good. Neuschwanstein is vaguely close if you want to do a day trip and be overwhelmed by tourists with selfie sticks. The BMW museum is in Munich although tbh I found it to be pretty lame except for the architecture which you can appreciate in about 5 minutes from outside.

May 11-13: no way to know until a few days before. It could be 7C and pouring rain, or it could be 25 and sunny. It is definitely too early in the season to do any serious hike though, there'll still be snow probably at least to 2000m, and probably further down. Skiing will be over, so if it's atypically cold then there's nothing else to do and I would go somewhere else instead. Just keep your options open and book it on like 5 may, IMO.

E:By serious hike I mean making it to any col or summit that would give you a good view of the valleys around, like you won't be able to reasonably hike up to Schilthorn in mid-may, even with global warming helping you out.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 23, 2017

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Awesome thanks. I think in Munich I can just do a quick visit and see the Marienplatz, maybe a museum or two, have a beer at Hofbrauhaus, and check out either Dachau or the Frauenkirche the next morning before heading west. Neuschwanstein would be nice to see but I think I need to sacrifice it in order to stay on schedule.

I just booked a two night stay that I can cancel at the Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald for the aforementioned dates. If the weather does not cooperate, can you think of any alternative places to visit for those two nights between Triberg and Milan?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

birds posted:

Hey guys, I recently asked about Provence. I'm still going there but I am now doing a larger Europe trip so I have a few more questions. I'll be starting in Munich and with the very early arrival of my flight, I think I can manage to do 1 night in Munich and hit up 2 or 3 things plus the Beer Hall on my first night, and 1 thing in the morning before I take the train or drive a rental car to Triberg. Am I not giving Munich enough time?

Also, after Triberg and the Black Forest, I'm planning to stop for a night or two in either Murren or Gimmelwald on my way to Milan. This will be around May 11-13. Weather-wise, is this a good time to go? I'd like to do a day hike or rent a bike.

Munich's lovely, but I would highly, highly recommend choosing one of the beer halls that aren't as well-known abroad (read: avoid Hofbräuhaus like the plague unless you go during off-hours). I visited last year in mid-December (not exactly prime tourist season) and tried to wander in there with some friends. We got about ten feet into the place before we had to leave, it was just a mass of humanity and the inside was hot, sticky, and there was no ventilation whatsoever.

Not really a true beer hall, but Schneider Weisse has a nice Bräuhaus. It also gets packed, but it was very manageable compared to Hofbräu. Hacker-Pschorr was full of old people and had pretty awful service.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

birds posted:

Awesome thanks. I think in Munich I can just do a quick visit and see the Marienplatz, maybe a museum or two, have a beer at Hofbrauhaus, and check out either Dachau or the Frauenkirche the next morning before heading west. Neuschwanstein would be nice to see but I think I need to sacrifice it in order to stay on schedule.

I just booked a two night stay that I can cancel at the Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald for the aforementioned dates. If the weather does not cooperate, can you think of any alternative places to visit for those two nights between Triberg and Milan?

I just remembered that I was in Gimmelwald in mid-May a couple years ago. I took this on the lift up just about Stechelberg, gives you a pretty good idea of the snow, which looks like it's at around 1600m in the shade and 2000m in sun. If you do end up going, Trümmelbach falls is right there (-inside- the mountain at right in the photo, it's not the waterfall at left) and is neat if you're in the area. The weather was awesome when I was there, but no way to know, IIRC this year it was still quite cold in mid-May.

If the weather sucks, I'd head straight to Lugano or Lake Como (Bellagio/Varenna). The sub-Alpine lakes are always warm and awesome. Lugano is better if you want to bike or do a day hike, e.g. Monte Generoso of Tamaro (moderate, 8-ish hour hikes, if you take the lift partway for Tamaro) or San Salvatore (easy, 2-ish hours). Lake Como is probably better if you want to go cheaply and just sit around eating gelato and sit in the sun.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im planning on taking my mother on vacation in Europe next year probably mid April for 9-14 days. She wants to see very green Alpine nature scenery and old churches and castles. Any hiking with a trail and under 5 miles would be fine. I think that Switzerland and Austria are safe bets. I think a train tour would be a good use of time to get maximum scenery in and it would take care of the hotel and most of the food. Cable cars up mountains sound great too

Has anyone done something similar and can they recommend any services? Is there a country or service that I am missing that would better serve the intended purpose of the trip? She has already stated she has no interest in France and Spain.

We will be flying from LAX to an yet undetermined country to start in. This is still in the planning phase.
I could do it a month earlier or later no problem.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 24, 2017

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

Im planning on taking my mother on vacation in Europe next year probably mid April for 9-14 days. She wants to see very green Alpine nature scenery and old churches and castles. Any hiking with a trail and under 5 miles would be fine. I think that Switzerland and Austria are safe bets. I think a train tour would be a good use of time to get maximum scenery in and it would take care of the hotel and most of the food. Cable cars up mountains sound great too

Has anyone done something similar and can they recommend any services? Is there a country or service that I am missing that would better serve the intended purpose of the trip? She has already stated she has no interest in France and Spain.

We will be flying from LAX to an yet undetermined country to start in. This is still in the planning phase.
I could do it a month earlier or later no problem.

Late April or early May is about the earliest I'd suggest for seeing Alpine greenery. In the cities/lower areas, the first leaves start showing up on trees around the first week of April, so it's quite green in the cities by mid-April, but if you want to go to any higher resort towns (e.g. Saint Moritz, Zermatt) then later is going to be much better. I've lived in the central Alps area for the past nearly 10 years, so I've done a bunch of trips around with people of all different lengths.

Train tours won't take care of any of your hotel or your food. The distances really aren't that far and the only way you'd save on hotels by taking a train is by taking one of the very-few overnight services (e.g. Zurich->Vienna) and... then you wouldn't see anything. Booking hotels is trivial though, especially in late April/early May, when all the hotels will be open but empty because it's early midseason. If you go to Switzerland, you should rent a car unless both of you hate driving. The trains are good, but crazy expensive and car rental (including gas) is generally about the same price for one person taking train tickets. A car also gives you a lot more flexibility when visiting small mountain towns. If you're not on a tight budget, then the trains are a good option if you really don't want to drive.

Switzerland has cable cars going up basically every mountain, so you're set there although keep in mind they're very expensive (±$80pp, roundtrip, for an average 3000m cable car, also expensive everywhere in Europe) so you'd probably only do it once. There are a handful of visitable-castles in Switzerland, in order of interest probably: Chillon, the Bellionzona castles, Lenzburg, Kyburg, and Tarasp.

There's no shortage of nice short/easy walks, e.g. through the Lavaux vineyards (Lake Geneva) or the walk to Rutli Field (Lake Lucern) from Seelisberg. If your mom is kind of fit, the hike up from the lift to the top of the Grosser Mythen is not so hard but is very amazing, and if you have a lot of energy you can go to Einsielden Abbey on the same day, which I'm pretty sure is by far the biggest still-religious structure in Switzerland and it is the most striking cathedral in the country. (Most of the cities in Switzerland are protestant, so the main cathedrals are pretty boring and barren.)

I'm not quite sure what you meant by "service", but I would strongly recommend against going on a package tour. Alpine scenery really cannot be enjoyed when in a bus with 50 other people yelling at each other and someone asking you to take a picture of them every two minutes. That might work in Rome, but really not in the Alps. Everyone in the tourism industry in Switzerland (and Austria) speaks English, so it's not like you really need any help. Just get an international data roaming plan and you can book whatever hotel as you arrive into town, then look at a map and pick a restaurant.

Zurich has a direct flight LAX->ZRH with Swiss, and it's the only direct flight from LAX to anywhere Alpine IIRC. It's probably about $1000 for your dates, so you might be able to find something a little cheaper, but it'll probably transfer through Moscow or London. Whatever you do, it's not worth saving $150pp on tickets if you have transfer through Moscow or London when the other option is a direct flight.

Italy also has some great alpine scenery and more old castles and churches than you can throw a shoe at, but it would 100% require renting a car as the public transport in the Italian mountains is offensively bad except in the handful of places with train lines, in which case it's only regular-bad.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
RE: Beer Hall alternatives in Munich, Ive visited three times and at the advice of a friend who lives just outside, I've always gone to Augustiner. Never set foot in Hofbrau and I don't feel like I'm missing anything to be honest.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AmericanGeeksta posted:

RE: Beer Hall alternatives in Munich, Ive visited three times and at the advice of a friend who lives just outside, I've always gone to Augustiner. Never set foot in Hofbrau and I don't feel like I'm missing anything to be honest.

Ah yeah, Augustiner is good too.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with some culture and with a big gastronomic part. Commonly, we actively walk around the city the whole day going to spots and go for a very nice fine dining experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home or that are world-known to be superb. In London, for example, we had a world famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge) and in the evening enjoyed a Michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find in our own neighborhood, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. It was a great experience to do multiple diverse fine dining restaurants over several days and get to enjoy cuisines and styles we don't have back home.
So, we enjoy unique/known places, exploring local culture and cuisines and fine-dining restaurants. We also enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, vegetarian, nordic, ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds, and generally go for those more unique experiences.
Our budget allows for all possible options in both travel and restaurants.
What European cities in February would you recommend? We prefer big cities, since we explore a lot in a day, and don't mind cold/bad weather though obviously prefer good weather.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Amsterdam.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kalenden posted:

My companion and I are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with some culture and with a big gastronomic part. Commonly, we actively walk around the city the whole day going to spots and go for a very nice fine dining experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home or that are world-known to be superb. In London, for example, we had a world famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge) and in the evening enjoyed a Michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find in our own neighborhood, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. It was a great experience to do multiple diverse fine dining restaurants over several days and get to enjoy cuisines and styles we don't have back home.
So, we enjoy unique/known places, exploring local culture and cuisines and fine-dining restaurants. We also enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, vegetarian, nordic, ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds, and generally go for those more unique experiences.
What European cities in February would you recommend? We prefer big cities, since we explore a lot in a day, and don't mind cold/bad weather though obviously prefer good weather.

Just for a long weekend? Maybe Marseille (including Cassis) or Madrid. Also Istanbul, if you're not afraid of Erdogan. Central Marseille is quite nice now, anyone who says otherwise either hasn't been there in years, or is making poo poo up that they heard someone say somewhere on the Internet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or Barcelona, while you still can!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The food in Istanbul was absolutely on another level, and we were on a relatively modest budget! Also we were there before the full blown orgy of repression and violence so our appetites were still intact.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Kalenden posted:

San Sebastian

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
On the Munich beer garden question, I really enjoyed grabbing food from somewhere and sitting outside at Viktualienmarkt.

Popero fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 25, 2017

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

greazeball posted:

The food in Istanbul was absolutely on another level, and we were on a relatively modest budget!

Yeah, although since you're going from Geneva, the restaurants anywhere besides Norway and Iceland look like a modest budget.

I spent five days there last year just before the failed coup and ate so much goddamn delicious food. Some places were pretty pricey (like Sunset Bar and Grill) but everything was great and there was plenty of great food for €15-€20. That said the situation is pretty tense and my Turkish friends who were living there have left since even though they're not Gulenists. Foreigners with absolutely no ties to Turkey or to Pennsylvania should be OK though, I don't think I'd be too worried about going back now.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 25, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

webmeister posted:

San Sebastian

This is the correct answer. Madrid is another correct answer, if you want to be in a bigger city with more to do apart from eating amazing food.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Should have mentioned: I'd rather avoid Spain since I've recently been.
I was actually sorta kinda thinking already a bit about Rome, but open to other ideas.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kalenden posted:

I was actually sorta kinda thinking already a bit about Rome, but open to other ideas.

In my original post I had a warning in there about "but not Rome" but I deleted it to not seem petty, but honestly Rome has a pretty bad food scene unless you want to eat Italian and only Italian. There's basically no high-end non-Italian food in Rome, minus a bit of stereotypical Fancy European (i.e. French) cuisine. Like, good luck finding a Japanese restaurant that isn't cheap sushi made by a North African cook, a Turkish restaurant that's not a kebab+pizza stand , or an Indian place that serves a main course that costs more than €8 (nothing against cheap food, but sometimes I'd like real naan and not the naan they serve at €8/plate places). Their one Ethiopian place that's not 50 miles out of downtown sucks, and I don't even think they have a Persian or North African restaurant except ultra-low-end-cheap stuff. I've spent a fair amount of time in Rome and every time I'm disappointed that there's only Italian food or really low-end foreign stuff. I love Italian food, and I like budget eats, but I wouldn't call Rome a foodie destination.

If it's just for a weekend though that might be alright. I'm pretty over Italian after a few days of pizza, pasta, risotto, seafood, biscotti, tiramisu, and limoncello. They always pretend there's more regional variety to Italy than there really is. Guys, making your noodles into a different shape with a slightly-different cream sauce doesn't make it a different dish.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Saladman posted:

In my original post I had a warning in there about "but not Rome" but I deleted it to not seem petty, but honestly Rome has a pretty bad food scene unless you want to eat Italian and only Italian. There's basically no high-end non-Italian food in Rome, minus a bit of stereotypical Fancy European (i.e. French) cuisine. Like, good luck finding a Japanese restaurant that isn't cheap sushi made by a North African cook, a Turkish restaurant that's not a kebab+pizza stand , or an Indian place that serves a main course that costs more than €8 (nothing against cheap food, but sometimes I'd like real naan and not the naan they serve at €8/plate places). Their one Ethiopian place that's not 50 miles out of downtown sucks, and I don't even think they have a Persian or North African restaurant except ultra-low-end-cheap stuff. I've spent a fair amount of time in Rome and every time I'm disappointed that there's only Italian food or really low-end foreign stuff. I love Italian food, and I like budget eats, but I wouldn't call Rome a foodie destination.

If it's just for a weekend though that might be alright. I'm pretty over Italian after a few days of pizza, pasta, risotto, seafood, biscotti, tiramisu, and limoncello. They always pretend there's more regional variety to Italy than there really is. Guys, making your noodles into a different shape with a slightly-different cream sauce doesn't make it a different dish.

Wow, amazed to read that. I googled a bit (normally I do that in a later stage of the research). These restaurants seem nice: https://www.romeing.it/best-ethnic-restaurants-and-food-in-rome/ but it could be this list is bad?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kalenden posted:

Wow, amazed to read that. I googled a bit (normally I do that in a later stage of the research). These restaurants seem nice: https://www.romeing.it/best-ethnic-restaurants-and-food-in-rome/ but it could be this list is bad?

I mean there's definitely ethnic cuisine, but you notice that list is mostly budget places or mid-range except for Le Asiatique. Since you mentioned Michelin star, I figured you were looking for really quite high-end expensive / fancy / unique / fusion places? I've visited Rome a few times, but specifically last year I was there for a special event and spent a long time looking for a fancy non-Italian restaurant and I think I went through the whole Michelin list ( https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Restaurants/Restaurants-Rome-_-Roma-Italy ) and cross-referenced it with TripAdvisor. We ended up going to Antico Arco, Ristorante Roof Garden Forum, and... somewhere else, also Italian, and good. Mainly I was just surprised I couldn't find anything particularly fancy in Indian, Ethiopian, Thai, or North African cuisine, like you can easily find in Paris or London. Both me and my wife are always on the lookout for more unusual cuisines when we travel to major cities, since we can easily get good Italian where we live.

That said, while I've only been to a few Michelin starred restaurants, the food served has always been unrecognizable and different from the cuisine upon which each restaurant is based, and if you're only there a few days, Italian food is great too.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 25, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Kalenden if you’re not American maybe look into Istanbul?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kalenden posted:

You could do Berlin. It's a huge, diverse city, and I recall eating pretty good when I was there -- both traditional German stuff and other cuisines.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
As someone who is living in Rome currently, the options for excellent food that isn't Italian are, as previously mentioned, pretty dismal.

That being said, there is an abundance of fantastic Italian places, unsurprisingly, and Rome can easily be done from a tourist perspective in a weekend, which isn't enough time to get sick of Italian food IMO. Also, weather in the Fall in Rome is usually amazing and the general tourist population is lower, which is great. I tell people to visit in March or October generally.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

webmeister posted:

Kalenden if you’re not American maybe look into Istanbul?

It seems to be that the turkish visa ban for Americans only applies to US passport holders originating in the US. If you're coming from a non-US flight you're ok, but it can't be a connecting flight (eg NYC -> Paris -> IST is not allowed, but NYC -> Paris ; Paris -> IST is okay?). Bizarrely it seems nearly as easy as the e-visa if you're coming in from elsewhere--you get a visa on arrival, $30. Its almost as irritating as Cuba now.

What a needlessly complicated system. I found a couple recent blog posts about it and it sounds like the immigration officials in Ataturk don't really know what to do, although I imagine they'll all learn the new rules pretty quickly.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
gently caress, I forgot about the ban. :smugdon:

I am thinking about extending my Christmas break trip by a few days. This blog post seems to explain the situation well: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/entering-turkey-during-visa-ban/

quote:

The response email continues with the following closing paragraph:

e-Visa application has been suspended for US citizens. You can obtain a visa upon arrival, only if you travel to Turkey from a country other than US. (Transit passengers are also not eligible for visas upon arrival. For example NYC-Paris-Istanbul)

email from Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs

This is a fascinating wrinkle that we hadn’t heard about before now. Based on this, US citizens flying into Turkey who aren’t originating in the US — like in my situation — should be able to obtain a visa on arrival.

This makes sense. As the only airline flying directly between the US and Turkey, Turkish Airlines has issued travel waivers allowing free flight changes. But, we haven’t seen any other airlines allow Turkey-bound passengers free changes. So, rather than cutting off Americans in the area from visiting the country, Turkey is just going to slightly inconvenience them by making them purchase a visa on arrival rather than via the e-visa process ahead of time.

Re: Munich... I never liked Hofbrau (duh) or Oktoberfest. Augustiner is always a good choice, they are my favorite brewery by taste as well. I know that the Augustiner in Salzburg is not affiliated in any way, but that beer hall is by far my favorite. Such a great atmosphere.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 26, 2017

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Two more last-minute Swiss questions. First is whether to spend my last several days in Berne or Zürich. Second is whether it would be weird or illegal for me to have a pocket knife walking around town or hiking. I don't want to get in trouble for having an Opinel in my pocket.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

ibntumart posted:

Two more last-minute Swiss questions. First is whether to spend my last several days in Berne or Zürich. Second is whether it would be weird or illegal for me to have a pocket knife walking around town or hiking. I don't want to get in trouble for having an Opinel in my pocket.

Didn't go to Bern, but I was in Zurich a few months back and felt like 4 days wasn't enough for me. I really enjoyed it. I cant imagine there will be any problem with the knife, it seemed like every store in Zurich and Luzern sold Swiss Army knives.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I preferred Bern over Zurich, but if you're spending a few days there's probably more to do in Zurich.

Bern has a beautiful old town, some nice bridges over the river, great Renaissance fountains, a bear park facing the river, Einstein's house and so on. It's a great spot to spend a day wandering around. Zurich I didn't spend long in, really only a few hours, but I found it a bit meh to be honest - just a big city.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ibntumart posted:

They might not like it if you have it on you when going through airport security, so make sure to put it in check-in luggage beforehand.

Also, I've never been to Switzerland but elsewhere in Europe, I've seen security confiscate knives when you enter a tourist attraction that might be a terrorism risk. Happened at the London Eye, years ago.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

webmeister posted:

Bern has a beautiful old town, some nice bridges over the river, great Renaissance fountains, a bear park facing the river, Einstein's house and so on. It's a great spot to spend a day wandering around. Zurich I didn't spend long in, really only a few hours, but I found it a bit meh to be honest - just a big city.

That's kind of what I was afraid Zürich would be like. Whereas Berne is sounding like a great place to just walk around, which is what I want to do. Plus I also dig Paul Klee and the Zentrum Paul Klee has maybe the largest collection of his works. Thanks!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, I've never been to Switzerland but elsewhere in Europe, I've seen security confiscate knives when you enter a tourist attraction that might be a terrorism risk. Happened at the London Eye, years ago.

Good to know. Though I suppose if that happened, I could just buy a Swiss Army knife at a gajillion places to replace it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

ibntumart posted:

That's kind of what I was afraid Zürich would be like. Whereas Berne is sounding like a great place to just walk around, which is what I want to do. Plus I also dig Paul Klee and the Zentrum Paul Klee has maybe the largest collection of his works. Thanks!

Good to know. Though I suppose if that happened, I could just buy a Swiss Army knife at a gajillion places to replace it.

Yes come to Bern, you can also do day trips from there to a lot of places if you have seen enough of the town.

Also don't worry about the knife, I've never seen a security check at a tourist attraction here.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I've lived in Zurich for the past 2 years, and in the francophone part of Switzerland for about 6 years before that. Zurich is great and there's a lot going on, and while it's very nice, it is not particularly unique, and if I was going to base somewhere for daytrips, I'd base myself in Lucern (if going by train) or anywhere in central Switzerland (if going by car). In that way, I find it's kind of like Houston -- it's great to live there, but what is a tourist going to do? Trendy bars and restaurants are nice, but you can find those anywhere.

The only place I have ever seen a security control in Switzerland is inside the airports, and inside the parliament. With the exception of parliament, I don't think any tourist spots have checks, and honestly even at parliament I bet with an opinel they'd just ask you to make sure you put it in the locker. At airports they will, of course, follow standard international procedure.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Bern has a bear pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwaarrk
Jun 17, 2008
So what is the go to website for planning a trip to Europe hotel booking, flights over ect ect? I'm looking to head to Greece late spring/early summer next year for about a week. Looking to take in all the old poo poo over there. Primarily in the Athens area maybe a trip up to Delphi plus whatever might be suggested