Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

uhh i feel like the couple of sentences before the bit you quoted are more important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
do you guys remember that song, 'barbara streisand'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ba ba ba
barbra streisand

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...h-a8011141.html

:allears:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/VP/status/922513927019393024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvLDbeguM7g

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
why do people act like capitalism invented greed

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://twitter.com/TieTuesdayLP/status/922557173883920384

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Volkerball posted:

i agree, capitalism gets an undeserved bad rap

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Volkerball posted:

there's an argument that in order to self-maintain capitalism necessitates conspicuous consumption

but more succinctly that's the opposite of what's true: greed led to capitalism

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Capitalism strongly disincentivizes things that aren't greed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randler posted:

They're currently testing the waters for a three-way (well, four-way really) coalition between CDU/CSU - Greens and FDP (liberals :bahgawd:).

And she will carry out the duties of the office until a new chancellor is elected.

Edit: Oh, and the SPD was the first party to vote with the AfD on a measure. :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGnb2d3BkA

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

la min wage is slated to hit $15 an hour by 2020, so pretty comparable, but still insanely low for cost of living in a city where average rent is in the mid 2000's

where in LA are you living, bc i can think of multiple places I lived that I paid no where close to that

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX5xIRUcPyI

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

there's an argument that in order to self-maintain capitalism necessitates conspicuous consumption

Putting the chicken before the egg here. A thirst for Things at the maximum possible scale required capitalism in order to be quenched. Face it, Black Friday shoppers trampling each other to death over a 4% discount on a fry daddy is the purest expression of the human condition imaginable. That is what we as a species were designed to do. Fated to do.

quote:

but more succinctly that's the opposite of what's true: greed led to capitalism

I remember this video a few years ago. Back when OWS was going on. It was a psychological experiment on monkeys. What they did was they made one monkey do some arbitrary task and as a reward, they gave him a grape. They let a second monkey watch this whole thing, and then gave him a chance to do the task. So he does it as fast as he possibly can because goddamn grapes are in the balance here, and then they give him a piece of cucumber. And he's like "what the gently caress bitch, that other mother fucker got a grape are you for real," and he lost his poo poo. The conclusion was that it's a very base behavior to recognize inequality and get upset about it. But what they didn't say, and what I thought was the funniest part, was that the first monkey? The one that got the grape? He didn't recognize anything! He was off doing his grape dance all loving stoked he got grapes. And had the roles been reversed, the monkeys probably would've responded the exact same way.

Workers want things that benefit workers because they are workers. Capitalists want things that benefit capitalists because they are capitalists. People want things that benefit themselves. Greed is the driver all the way around. Nobody gets to play innocent. You could point to some idealistic notion of the greater good, that objectively, an equitable, just society would be the preferable one to live in, and you would be right. But the question remains. If you took everyone who currently supported such grand notions and, in a vacuum, offered them a check that put them in the top 5% of all earners in the country, how many would still show up at the income equality rally the next day? How many allies would there still be? I'd bet the vast majority would just sit at home and eat their grapes. It's probably why people tend to be so much more invested and informed in the causes of justice in their own countries where they stand to gain, while similar causes in other countries, where they don't stand to gain personally, are barely on their radar. Don't try and bullshit me.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 24, 2017

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Putting the chicken before the egg here. A thirst for Things at the maximum possible scale required capitalism in order to be quenched. Face it, Black Friday shoppers trampling each other to death over a 4% discount on a fry daddy is the purest expression of the human condition imaginable. That is what we as a species were designed to do. Fated to do.

I remember this video a few years ago. Back when OWS was going on. It was a psychological experiment on monkeys. What they did was they made one monkey do some arbitrary task and as a reward, they gave him a grape. They let a second monkey watch this whole thing, and then gave him a chance to do the task. So he does it as fast as he possibly can because goddamn grapes are in the balance here, and then they give him a piece of cucumber. And he's like "what the gently caress bitch, that other mother fucker got a grape are you for real," and he lost his poo poo. The conclusion was that it's a very base behavior to recognize inequality and get upset about it. But what they didn't say, and what I thought was the funniest part, was that the first monkey? The one that got the grape? He didn't recognize anything! He was off doing his grape dance all loving stoked he got grapes. And had the roles been reversed, the monkeys probably would've responded the exact same way.

Workers want things that benefit workers because they are workers. Capitalists want things that benefit capitalists because they are capitalists. People want things that benefit themselves. Greed is the driver all the way around. Nobody gets to play innocent. You could point to some idealistic notion of the greater good, that objectively, an equitable, just society would be the preferable one to live in, and you would be right. But the question remains. If you took everyone who currently supported such grand notions and, in a vacuum, offered them a check that put them in the top 5% of all earners in the country, how many would still show up at the income equality rally the next day? How many allies would there still be? I'd bet the vast majority would just sit at home and eat their grapes. It's probably why people tend to be so much more invested and informed in the causes of justice in their own countries where they stand to gain, while similar causes in other countries, where they don't stand to gain personally, are barely on their radar. Don't try and bullshit me.

i didn't read any o fthis

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
shut up volkerball

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
cucumber is better than grapes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cease to Hope posted:

cucumber is better than grapes

i'm sorry but the monkeys have spoken

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm sorry but the monkeys have spoken

i derive all my politics from natural law. also i spend a lot of time laying on the floor, motionless, slowly succumbing to entropy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
cucumber probably has the biggest difference in flavor between the real stuff grown in the ground and the bullshit they sell in the store

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Cucumber is terrible and overpowering.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
real cucumber tastes more like watermelon but less sweet

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

they confuse me as there's no q in them

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Volkerball posted:

all I took from this is that you really want to gently caress a lab monkey

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
saltmarsh

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sea level rise is slowly destroying estuarine habitats on the east coast and turning maritime and wetland forests into salt marsh

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

real cucumber tastes more like watermelon but less sweet

They also drip water like crazy if you cut them!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you can actually see the bald cypress retreating from the inland coasts and the pine canopies no longer recover after peat fires

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Muppets On PCP posted:

sea level rise is slowly destroying estuarine habitats on the east coast and turning maritime and wetland forests into salt marsh
it's also turning saltmarsh into mangroves, which is destroying nesting habitats for migratory shorebirds

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
climate change is wild

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

the old ceremony posted:

climate change is wild

Not sure Id use the word wild to describe the slow process of turning our planet into an uninhabitable hellscape, but sure.

exmarx posted:

yes.

now that the model's been proven correct, i can confidently predict that corbyn will officially become prime minister in late 2019 / early 2020

I really dislike this because it doesnt account for the rightward shift in policy by those supposed liberal parties. Maybe its different in NZ, but here in Canada our Liberals are now pretty established right of center and still shifting further that way as our Conservative party goes Full America.

Maybe Canadians will get past their racism and ignore the American influence by voting NDP next election, but Im not exactly hopeful. If by some miracle it happens, this would be our new PM:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Where the hell are you shopping that is selling fake cucumbers

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
mislabeled green bananas

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

i agree, capitalism gets an undeserved bad rap

counterpoint: it’s time to guillotine the swine

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aves Maria! posted:

where in LA are you living, bc i can think of multiple places I lived that I paid no where close to that

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/ca/los-angeles/

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

counterpoint: it’s time to guillotine the swine

It's a little chilly to barbecue

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i have made the pie

my mixer broke tho so i had to whisk my egg whites by hand which was a hassle and they weren't quite as fluffy as i wanted them

but the pie is made. good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

R. Mute posted:

i have made the pie

my mixer broke tho so i had to whisk my egg whites by hand which was a hassle and they weren't quite as fluffy as i wanted them

but the pie is made. good.

Lemon Meringue?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

vive le taco hoh hoh hoh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Got a guy named Doom Cat in MGS5 so that's who I'm playing from here on out when I can, currently stuck with the repeat missions aand repeat side ops cause I can't figure out how to make new missions appear

• Locked thread