Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

JethroMcB posted:

TBBT has some kind of insidious power - my grandmother never watched it until well after it entered syndication. Now she's seen all of them, watches the new episodes, and after far as I can tell she can't stand most of the characters. She hates Sheldon. Yet she keeps watching.

After only a few minutes of this, holy poo poo, I didn't realize this show was that bad.

This is still my go to clip for proof of how much I loathe Big Bang Theory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUpZ7trmmls
Concentrated anti-comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nate fisher posted:

I showed my wife that youtube video, and she got mad at me. She said I ruined the show for her.

So I made her watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7NRONADJ4
The first half of this video feels a lot like MRA. TBBT isn't a good show, but hegemonic masculinity isn't a unique aspect of the show as much as a persistent feature of culture throughout history.

Basically, it's 20 minutes wasted on what could be explain in 2 minutes wrapped in Intro to Gender Studies-level analysis. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cael posted:

This is still my go to clip for proof of how much I loathe Big Bang Theory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUpZ7trmmls
Concentrated anti-comedy.

That's more of a joke than they usually have on that show though. Like at least that is recognizable as a joke.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My dad is convinced that I don't like it because I don't understand the jokes, maybe old people don't know what jokes are

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the success of TBBT is pretty much one big neon IDGI for me. It seems like it's always on in the break room at work, and I don't think I've ever found any of it funny, let alone understand how it could be "Let's pay these people a million dollars per episode" popular.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the thing: old people like everything that sucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think old people, or at least my grandmother, like BBT because it reminds them of a simpler time when "is my kid a nerd?" was the worst you had to worry about.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

I think old people, or at least my grandmother, like BBT because it reminds them of a simpler time when "is my kid a nerd?" was the worst you had to worry about.
A simpler when everyone laughs at effeminate men and socially inept nerds.

There's something to be said for seeing your internal dialogue on network TV though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZA2770_f84

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In keeping with the theme, my parents like TBBT and always encourage me to watch it because I remind them of one of the characters (Sheldon? I honestly couldn't name any of the other ones in the show). I have tried it a few times but I just don't get it; it just isn't funny to me, even in spite of my archaic old person's taste in comedy (the same three or four BBC sitcoms mainly).

I've heard people have a whinge about how it's making fun of nerds, but to be honest a lot of the humour feels like the sort of thing nerds stereotypically go in for: it makes a reference and acts like the reference in and of itself is the joke, which is what I tend to think of as "nerd humour".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

They grew up watching multicams, they learned how to know what was funny from laugh tracks, and it probably reminds them of the shows they liked as a kid.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

They grew up watching multicams, they learned how to know what was funny from laugh tracks, and it probably reminds them of the shows they liked as a kid.

It definitely is a throwback kind of sitcom stylistically. I don't think that's inherently a bad thing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard people have a whinge about how it's making fun of nerds, but to be honest a lot of the humour feels like the sort of thing nerds stereotypically go in for: it makes a reference and acts like the reference in and of itself is the joke, which is what I tend to think of as "nerd humour".
I don't watch Rick & Morty. Is this what it's like?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

In keeping with the theme, my parents like TBBT and always encourage me to watch it because I remind them of one of the characters (Sheldon? I honestly couldn't name any of the other ones in the show).

From memory: Leonard, Raj, Penny, Howard, Amy, Bernadette

Which one is it you remind your parents of?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

It definitely is a throwback kind of sitcom stylistically. I don't think that's inherently a bad thing.

I do, and I think that going forward laugh tracks/live studio audiences will be less and less tolerated as the people who grew up with that being the norm become smaller and smaller slices of the audience. This is also going to happen to commercial breaks, it's a bonkers phenomenon to constantly interrupt a narrative to hawk products, but since we've been conditioned since birth that it's normal we put up with it, to varying degrees. But the current generation of kids is watching more, and perhaps mostly, commercial-free streaming and so the idea of a commercial break is completely foreign to them. Those audiences aren't going to put up with it when they become adults.

e: and speaking of old school sitcoms, Benson died today!

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

e: and speaking of old school sitcoms, Benson died today!

Aw man. RIP. Does that show hold up at all? I vaguely recall absolutely loving it, but can't really remember anything other than the German lady wanted to bang Benson.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I do, and I think that going forward laugh tracks/live studio audiences will be less and less tolerated as the people who grew up with that being the norm become smaller and smaller slices of the audience.

I'm not sure about that. It's possible, sure, but there's something about reacting to something along with someone else that makes a show more compelling. Old school TVIV used to be driven on that principle, and there are shows like the One Day at a Time reboot that know how to work the format (because you have masters like Norman Lear and Mike Royce on the job) and come up with something compelling as a result.

Commercial breaks, though, those are way more likely to be a thing of the past.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

I'm not sure about that. It's possible, sure, but there's something about reacting to something along with someone else that makes a show more compelling. Old school TVIV used to be driven on that principle, and there are shows like the One Day at a Time reboot that know how to work the format (because you have masters like Norman Lear and Mike Royce on the job) and come up with something compelling as a result.

Commercial breaks, though, those are way more likely to be a thing of the past.

Who's doing sitcoms with laugh tracks anymore besides CBS? AFAIK the laugh tracked sitcoms are universally reviled by anyone younger than age 50.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Broadcast tv isn't going anywhere y'all.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Who's doing sitcoms with laugh tracks anymore besides CBS?

Netflix has several.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Who's doing sitcoms with laugh tracks anymore besides CBS? AFAIK the laugh tracked sitcoms are universally reviled by anyone younger than age 50.

Netflix, actually.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

AFAIK the laugh tracked sitcoms are universally reviled by anyone younger than age 50.

Based on what exactly?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder that Cheers, Seinfeld and Frasier are all laugh track sitcoms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

Netflix has several.

I'm only aware of 2, what are the other ones?

IRQ posted:

Based on what exactly?

I mean if you're going to argue that young people love the CBS sitcoms

Escobarbarian posted:

Reminder that Cheers, Seinfeld and Frasier are all laugh track sitcoms.

Yeah and I'm arguing they are a relic of the past and since those are all more than 20 years old...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You've clearly never watched Disney XD. 90% of the shows are lovely laugh track sitcoms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

You've clearly never watched Disney XD.

This is true.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think the issue is multicams being a relic as much as the vast majority of them from this century using the format in a really lazy way. The best ones are almost like mini-plays - think about how well Frasier used its set and framing. The ones now are all “look this is when to laugh” nonsense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

If you're going to argue that everyone under 50 didn't love Seinfeld, Friends, Fraiser, Perfect Strangers, Full House, or even after you moved the goal posts and said "young people" in your reply, Hannah Montana, iCarly, and whatever other dreck Nickelodeon is pumping out now I don't even know what to say.

Laugh tracks are used for a reason, they work. There's like this extremely cynical swath of late 20s early 30s people that just virulently hate them and I don't really get it.

I mean if you have a problem with being blatantly manipulated do you hate all pixar movies too?

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 24, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Yeah and I'm arguing they are a relic of the past and since those are all more than 20 years old...

I agree 100%. I dont watch anything with a laugh track these days. Those old shows I've seen a million times, its like an ex girlfriend. Sure they have personality, but you get bored with it pretty quickly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

If you're going to argue that everyone under 50 didn't love Seinfeld, Friends, Fraiser, Perfect Strangers, Full House, or even after you moved the goal posts and said "young people" in your reply, Hannah Montana, iCarly, and whatever other dreck Nickelodeon is pumping out now I don't even know what to say.

Laugh tracks are used for a reason, they work. There's like this extremely cynical swatch of late 20s early 30s people that just virulently hate them and I don't really get it.

I guess you missed the last two pages where we were all like "wow only our parents and cops like The Big Bang Theory" but if you want actual evidence, look at the demo numbers. (It's 18-49, which I include in 'young people', accusations of goal post moving notwithstanding)

The last comedy Emmy that went to a laugh-tracked show was in 2005. I don't think it's arguable that multicams are waning.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 24, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I guess you missed the last two pages where we were all like "wow only our parents and cops like The Big Bang Theory" but if you want actual evidence, look at the demo numbers.

The last comedy Emmy that went to a laugh-tracked show was in 2005. I don't think it's arguable that multicams are waning.

Time Show Adults 18-49 rating/share Viewers (millions)
8 p.m. The Big Bang Theory (CBS) 2.8/10 13.20

Highest rating in the demo and most viewers for the entire night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm stunned that it's that high.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

Agreed, thank god they're dying.

Yes, the 4 examples everybody always cherry picks when defending laugh track shows were good. They get referenced constantly for a reason. They'd be even better withough the fake poo poo laid on top. Arguing otherwise is nonsense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bring back old gbs posted:

Agreed, thank god they're dying.

Yes, the 4 examples everybody always cherry picks when defending laugh track shows were good. They get referenced constantly for a reason. They'd be even better withough the fake poo poo laid on top. Arguing otherwise is nonsense.

Oh yeah?

Youtube has done the work for you, and they suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYck1aEkxI

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't even feel very strongly about this, you guys are just making poo poo up like Trump tweeting while trying to pass a well done steak drenched in ketchup on his solid gold toilet and it's profoundly irritating.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can't just remove a laugh track from a show to fix it, they were written with the pauses in mind, the timing doesn't work without them. Which is why I think stripping laughs from BBT or 2.5 Men clips as a demonstration of why they suck isn't fair.

Laugh tracks become egregious when you aren't laughing at the joke. If you are laughing, you don't really notice the laugh track. But when a show is uproariously laughing at a terrible joke and you're sitting there mute, it compounds the badness of the joke. So a studio audience is going to have a more organic reaction to jokes, laughing at appropriate, or more appropriate levels, in general.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

The Ranch, One Day at a Time, Fuller House, Disjointed...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The audience reactions during Cheers/Frasier/Seinfeld are great because they seem more authentic than most shows that use "a live studio audience". I mean, nobody's gonna go to bat for the laugh track in MASH, are they? I hope?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

The audience reactions during Cheers/Frasier/Seinfeld are great because they seem more authentic than most shows that use "a live studio audience". I mean, nobody's gonna go to bat for the laugh track in MASH, are they? I hope?

I'll stan for the laugh track on Jabberjaw my dude.

less laughter posted:

The Ranch, One Day at a Time, Fuller House, Disjointed...

I guess I was aware of all of those.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey so I started watching Carnivale and man I think this show has the best opening titles I’ve ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

You can't just remove a laugh track from a show to fix it, they were written with the pauses in mind, the timing doesn't work without them. Which is why I think stripping laughs from BBT or 2.5 Men clips as a demonstration of why they suck isn't fair.

Laugh tracks become egregious when you aren't laughing at the joke. If you are laughing, you don't really notice the laugh track. But when a show is uproariously laughing at a terrible joke and you're sitting there mute, it compounds the badness of the joke. So a studio audience is going to have a more organic reaction to jokes, laughing at appropriate, or more appropriate levels, in general.

It's also disingenuous as gently caress because there are people hired to keep the audience hyped up between takes and during set ups. Before they shoot anything they get the crowd to make some big woo's and cheers so they have a base in case things go wrong. They'll reshoot scenes if the audience didn't react the way they want specifically telling the audience to react a certain way.

It's faked before they roll, it's faked during shooting, it's faked in post. The audience being there is wholly irrelevant to the process of getting a laugh track.

• Locked thread