Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

white sauce posted:

The gently caress is wrong with your brain

That I keep engaging you in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Every anti-hate-crime law can be used by malevolent actors to persecute the disenfranchised. There are BLM protestors who've been charged with lynching, for chrissakes. This poo poo is difficult and you manchildren think the only reason everything isn't perfect is because cunts and nigras are just too drat stupid to get it right.

That is certainly true; malevolent actors will use laws that are meant to protect minorities against minorities. But, again, I’ve haven’t seen a burning flag used to intimidate minorities.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

That I keep engaging you in good faith.

I mean why do you always defend the lovely things Hillary did

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

This poo poo is difficult and you manchildren think the only reason everything isn't perfect is because cunts and nigras are just too drat stupid to get it right.

:yikes:

botany posted:

yeah look at you go you little progressive

Yeah the difference is I'll admit those posts were bad (and did in the thread) and only made in anger, whereas ya'll will doubledown on "everyone who disagrees with me is a paid russian racesexist troll"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

white sauce posted:

I mean why do you always defend the lovely things Hillary did

Because you're a right-wing troll who's arguing in bad faith.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nocturtle posted:

2008 is kind of amazing in retrospect, as Republican ideology and modern Western conservatism in general was almost empirically discredited by recent events. The financial+bank crisis demonstrated the danger of deregulating the financial industry, weakening anti-trust laws and the insanity of forcing people to rely on personal investments as their primary means to retire. The response to Katrina showed the necessity of strong and well funded government agencies to respond effectively in times of crises, and arguably the need to seriously start thinking about preparing for climate-change related sea level rise and weather. The nationalism-fueled Iraq and Afghanistan wars were generally recognized as costly disasters. The Republican party's slow embrace of white nationalism over the following 8 years was probably the only option left for an ideologically bankrupt party.

I always enjoy the polls that show young Westerners are generally ridiculously progressive compared to the general population. No kidding, they saw the complete failure of conservatism during their formative years.

Yeah, this.

I remember listening to conservative pundits in 2008 say "well, this is going to be a test of conservative principles in real time, and if we're right X will happen, and if we're wrong, Y will happen." And then Y happened. And I remember reading Paul Krugman stating in 2008 "If this happens I expect 9% unemployment in eightteen months because the stimulus is inadequate" and then eighteen months later 9.3% unemployment. If you had any kind of memory at all it was a real-time lesson in why Keynes was right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think that the intense widespread criticism of Pelosi is less defensible because 1. there are a whole bunch of other Democratic congresspeople worse than her and 2. her specific position/role is one where her political skill is more important than her ideology.

The situation with Clinton is a bit different, since Clinton has actually said/done some pretty indefensible stuff. Sexism absolutely plays a part, but there's a lot more there to legitimately criticize than there is with Pelosi (and ideology is much more important for a presidential candidate than it is a single House member, especially one with Pelosi's role as minority leader). Clinton was also the candidate for President, which is a bit different than randomly focusing on someone who has been in the House for ages.

I think of criticism of Israel as a pretty good analogy for criticism of Clinton. Israel receives a disproportionate amount of criticism compared with other bad countries that is at least partly influenced by antisemitism, but it's still a bad country and the fact that some bad people dislike it doesn't change that. As a result, it's important to keep an eye on the way people criticize it (certain rhetoric can signal antisemitism, for example), but on the other hand you don't want to shut down criticism entirely with accusations of antisemitism.

That being said, I'm kinda suspicious about anyone who still spends a disproportionate amount of time talking about Clinton. She isn't candidate for president anymore, so when people still spend like 50% of their effort attacking her it feels more like a personal vendetta. Clinton is a pretty bad person, but in the same way as many other Democratic politicians (and I still voted for her and would have rather she won, obviously). There are many other Democrats who continue to believe and do the same stuff she did. Keeping the focus on her effectively lets other Democrats off the hook.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah the difference is I'll admit those posts were bad (and did in the thread) and only made in anger, whereas ya'll will doubledown on "everyone who disagrees with me is a paid russian racesexist troll"

You're a racist, sexist piece of poo poo and I'm not ever going to let you forget it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

How do yall remember anything from 2008 that was nearly a century ago

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

Because you're a right-wing troll who's arguing in bad faith.

sure buddy, I'm a right wing troll.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Calibanibal posted:

He's only bee president for 9 months, dude.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

You're a racist, sexist piece of poo poo and I'm not ever going to let you forget it.
And yet, you are the one, in 2016, who voted for an anti-LGBT slaveowner

:thunk:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

I think that the intense widespread criticism of Pelosi is less defensible because 1. there are a whole bunch of other Democratic congresspeople worse than her and 2. her specific position/role is one where her political skill is more important than her ideology.

The situation with Clinton is a bit different, since Clinton has actually said/done some pretty indefensible stuff. Sexism absolutely plays a part, but there's a lot more there to legitimately criticize than there is with Pelosi (and ideology is much more important for a presidential candidate than it is a single House member, especially one with Pelosi's role as minority leader). Clinton was also the candidate for President, which is a bit different than randomly focusing on someone who has been in the House for ages.

I think of criticism of Israel as a pretty good analogy for criticism of Clinton. Israel receives a disproportionate amount of criticism compared with other bad countries that is at least partly influenced by antisemitism, but it's still a bad country and the fact that some bad people dislike it doesn't change that. As a result, it's important to keep an eye on the way people criticize it (certain rhetoric can signal antisemitism, for example), but on the other hand you don't want to shut down criticism entirely with accusations of antisemitism.

That being said, I'm kinda suspicious about anyone who still spends a disproportionate amount of time talking about Clinton. She isn't candidate for president anymore, so when people still spend like 50% of their effort attacking her it feels more like a personal vendetta. Clinton is a pretty bad person, but in the same way as many other Democratic politicians (and I still voted for her and would have rather she won, obviously). There are many other Democrats who continue to believe and do the same stuff she did. Keeping the focus on her effectively lets other Democrats off the hook.

That might be believable if you and yours hadn't levied all those same criticisms against Clinton when she was Secretary of State, and a Senator, and FLOTUS, and First Lady of Arkansas, and a lawyer, and a determined college student knocking on doors trying to get black kids access to healthcare.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

The fact that the bill was attempting to put into law a thing that's already case law?
Or the fact that it was never progressed in the Senate?

both, in fact.

you know how her successor, Corey Booker, demonstrated his abject fealty to Pfizer by refusing to support even the concept of importing drugs from Canada

there was no risk of the bill passing, no risk he'd be held accountable to his words, only the simple matter of signaling "do you think this is a good idea or not"

and he said "hell yes, gently caress the sick, even in the hypothetical universe where this vote matters at all"

Hillary Clinton's on-the-record support on the principle of Protesters Must Be Shut Down does not somehow become less despicable when you say "but she knew that vote was irrelevant, unnecessary, and pointless as anything other than a signal of contempt!"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Calibanibal posted:

Remember when it was a widely accepted fact that we would never ever ever ever be where we are now?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Every anti-hate-crime law can be used by malevolent actors to persecute the disenfranchised. There are BLM protestors who've been charged with lynching, for chrissakes. This poo poo is difficult and you manchildren think the only reason everything isn't perfect is because cunts and nigras are just too drat stupid to get it right.

This is kinda wandering afield from the current amiable discussion, but the lynching law is basically a case of unfortunate history / nomenclature. I would argue that removing people from police custody (citizens' de-arrest? :v: ) is, broadly speaking, a thing that should be mildly illegal, and it's what they were charged under.

My recollection of the particular incident is fuzzy enough that I don't remember if I thought it was a stupid/horrible application at the time, but philosophically, it's a law that should be on the books in some fashion and the reason it should no longer has much to do with lynchings.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

And yet, you are the one, in 2016, who voted for an anti-LGBT slaveowner

:thunk:

Seriously explain this "slaveowner" bullshit you throbbing two-inch unwashed cock.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

white sauce posted:

sure buddy, I'm a right wing troll.

I honestly can't tell the difference, the rhetoric is the same.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Chilichimp posted:

He's only bee president for 9 months, dude.

oh g*d

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol you're rich, rich people don't have emotions

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Seriously explain this "slaveowner" bullshit you throbbing two-inch unwashed cock.

Explain it? Most Americans have "lesser of two evils" themselves into voting for horrific immoral monsters.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

totally not racist guy who claims to not have privilege, shockingly not well versed in the african american vernacular

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ze Pollack posted:

both, in fact.

you know how her successor, Corey Booker, demonstrated his abject fealty to Pfizer by refusing to support even the concept of importing drugs from Canada

I have some news for you about Bernie Sanders.

You may wish to sit down.

(Sure, yeah, he changed his mind on it. You know who else changed their mind on good progressive ideas?)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference, the rhetoric is the same.

TBS is from the Crowsbeak model of "not a troll, but stupid to the point of probable, actual brain damage"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

hillary's book features a delightful digression on the perks of being first lady of arkansas featuring free labor provided by the local penitentiaries. in and of itself? gross, but hey, it's the south.

the part where she explained that it was totally okay, because they had ~lesser emotional intelligence~ than her, and so this was the best way they could be of service to society, was what took it to full on "what the flaming gently caress is wrong with this person"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

Explain it? Most Americans have "lesser of two evils" themselves into voting for horrific immoral monsters.

If you are literally going to call someone a slaveowner you are going to explain what the gently caress your thinking is, you geyser of human poo poo.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

2008 is kind of amazing in retrospect, as Republican ideology and modern Western conservatism in general was almost empirically discredited by recent events. The financial+bank crisis demonstrated the danger of deregulating the financial industry, weakening anti-trust laws and the insanity of forcing people to rely on personal investments as their primary means to retire. The response to Katrina showed the necessity of strong and well funded government agencies to respond effectively in times of crises, and arguably the need to seriously start thinking about preparing for climate-change related sea level rise and weather. The nationalism-fueled Iraq and Afghanistan wars were generally recognized as costly disasters. The Republican party's slow embrace of white nationalism over the following 8 years was probably the only option left for an ideologically bankrupt party.

I always enjoy the polls that show young Westerners are generally ridiculously progressive compared to the general population. No kidding, they saw the complete failure of conservatism during their formative years.

💯

The preceding years had seen a massive increase in executive power as well, and I wonder what someone that wasn't an empty neoliberal suit like Obama could've done with it. What a waste of a moment.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

no see the thing is i'm calling you specifically a sexist piece of poo poo, because you are. there are plenty of people here that i disagree with who aren't sexists. you just have a victim complex because you're kind of a clueless moron.

also lol if you think anyone believes that you regret those posts.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

totally not racist guy who claims to not have privilege, shockingly not well versed in the african american vernacular

I'm from a foreign country and English isn't my first language, so maybe the racist one is you?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I read an article the other day that mentioned that wealth does actually have an impact on empathy for those less well off. To the point of walking down a street differently, and noticing things differently.

I don't recall how that differed between wealth established in one's lifetime and wealth by birth.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have some news for you about Bernie Sanders.

You may wish to sit down.

(Sure, yeah, he changed his mind on it. You know who else changed their mind on good progressive ideas?)

Corey Booker, after being subjected to extensive pressure from the left

did you have another answer in mind

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hillary Clinton maintains a harem of gorgeous and reasonably compensated Latin American sex workers who are not allowed to quit until the age of 28.

I'm surprised you hadn't heard.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Young white westerners are just as regressive as their parents. The only reason you're seeing progress in the younger generation is because your parents and grandparents didn't succeed in sterilizing quite as many of our parents and grandparents as you hoped.

Whatever works!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

Corey Booker, after being subjected to extensive pressure from the left

did you have another answer in mind

I did, but frankly Booker is a better parallel on this one.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

both, in fact.

there was no risk of the bill passing, no risk he'd be held accountable to his words, only the simple matter of signaling "do you think this is a good idea or not"

and he said "hell yes, gently caress the sick, even in the hypothetical universe where this vote matters at all"

Hillary Clinton's on-the-record support on the principle of Protesters Must Be Shut Down does not somehow become less despicable when you say "but she knew that vote was irrelevant, unnecessary, and pointless as anything other than a signal of contempt!"

Clinton's successor is Gillibrand not Booker.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Um, if you use the phrase PC Culture that's kind of a red flag.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hot take: most of the people atm are riled up and arguing about things they actually agree on but dont realize it because of poor communication and recent election-based history that makes certain subjects sensitive.

Most people ITT will agree that it's lovely to want a politician out just because they're from a minority group. However when stressed to be cautious to avoid being racist/sexist a multitude of incidents during the primaries and GE of people accusing anyone critical of certain figures as being racist/sexist or a puppet of the RWM, they end up taking an adversarial position because they correlate what you said with said incidents.

At the same time, in their adversarial fervor some posters will inevitably make themselves appear to be racist/sexist just to spite X poster they don't like, because it's bound to happen when everyone is unintelligibly mashing keys to craft petty posts nobody wants to read.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

I read an article the other day that mentioned that wealth does actually have an impact on empathy for those less well off. To the point of walking down a street differently, and noticing things differently.

I don't recall how that differed between wealth established in one's lifetime and wealth by birth.

Yes, this is easy to observe irl if you're interested. People in wealthier neighborhoods are less likely to observe the "walk on the right" standard for US pedestrians and much more likely to refuse to swerve if they're about to run into someone.

Nocturtle posted:

Whatever works!

:yeah:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

If you are literally going to call someone a slaveowner you are going to explain what the gently caress your thinking is, you geyser of human poo poo.

http://bfy.tw/Eepm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:five:

• Locked thread