Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Shots from the Pallbearer/Inter Arma/Gatecreeper show.

Pallbearer - Brett Campbell

Pallbearer - No Drinks

Pallbearer - Joseph Rowland

Pallbearer - Joseph Rowland

Inter Arma - Mike Paparo & T.J. Childers

Inter Arma - Joe Kerkes

Inter Arma - T.J. Childers

Inter Arma - Trey Dalton

Gatecreeper - Chase Mason

Gatecreeper - Eric Wagner

Gatecreeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
I don't know if I"m posting this in the right place, so please feel free to ridicule me and tell me to gently caress myself if this is the case.

Long story short - my band is putting out a new record. The PR company we're working with has told us that the only current promo picture we have of our band is too dark for most publications, however they need a useable one ASAP. We don't have the opportunity to take a new promo picture within the next few days (our deadline), so we're trying to work with what we've got.

Is this picture able to be brightened in any way so that it's more suitable for publication? I know this is a Very Stupid Post to be making, but would appreciate any sort of help/guidance that you guys can provide because I know precisely nothing about photo editing. Alternatively, if I should be posting it elsewhere then just let me know and I'll be on my merry way.

Thanks

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There are a few ways to brighten up a photo in post-processing. An unskilled person can do it with any photo editor - even the very basic editor built into most computer operating systems, or the things you can do with images in Microsoft Powerpoint. Somebody who knows what they're doing can do it well, which is what you want. In this case, you need both "done" and "good" (but nobody needs "perfect").

Start with the highest-resolution and least-previously-hosed-with version of the photo you have available. If that photo was shot in RAW, get that file if you can. I'm guessing you won't have access to that file so we'll stick with what can be done with a JPG - which is a fair bit, so don't worry.

My advice:
1. Open that photo in whatever image-editing software came with your computer. Fiddle around with the controls for Brightness and Contrast, see what you can get.
2. Post your question to the photo-editing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912
Somebody in there will probably take your image and start playing with it just out of sheer curiousity.
3. Post your question in GBS and watch the lunatic fringe of Goondom photoshop your band to hell and back. That's purely for entertainment. Fair warning: I'm contemplating doing this myself. I probably won't do it, but having planted this seed of an idea into the Dorkroom hivemind, who knows what will come of it?

Also, which one is you?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Just to add to Execudork's advice above, you'll notice that most photo editing apps have a whole lot of sliders that can be confusing to a newbie. Sometimes the labels are clear enough but not always (like what's the difference between clarity and contrast or between vibrance and saturation?). Luckily there's an easy rule of thumb that applies to all of those sliders. The Left-hAnd end is LAme and the Right-hAnd end is RAd. For more RAd and less LAme, just push them all over as far to the right as they will go.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

There are a few ways to brighten up a photo in post-processing. An unskilled person can do it with any photo editor - even the very basic editor built into most computer operating systems, or the things you can do with images in Microsoft Powerpoint. Somebody who knows what they're doing can do it well, which is what you want. In this case, you need both "done" and "good" (but nobody needs "perfect").

Start with the highest-resolution and least-previously-hosed-with version of the photo you have available. If that photo was shot in RAW, get that file if you can. I'm guessing you won't have access to that file so we'll stick with what can be done with a JPG - which is a fair bit, so don't worry.

My advice:
1. Open that photo in whatever image-editing software came with your computer. Fiddle around with the controls for Brightness and Contrast, see what you can get.
2. Post your question to the photo-editing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912
Somebody in there will probably take your image and start playing with it just out of sheer curiousity.
3. Post your question in GBS and watch the lunatic fringe of Goondom photoshop your band to hell and back. That's purely for entertainment. Fair warning: I'm contemplating doing this myself. I probably won't do it, but having planted this seed of an idea into the Dorkroom hivemind, who knows what will come of it?

Also, which one is you?

Ah thanks for that, I'll look into that today. Also, I'm the old man on the far-right.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
In the future press photos should be high contrast, most the time they get printed in black and white, so the band in front of a white wall usually works, no need to get artsy with it, people just wanna see your faces.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Pokey Araya posted:

In the future press photos should be high contrast, most the time they get printed in black and white, so the band in front of a white wall usually works, no need to get artsy with it, people just wanna see your faces.

I mean, if they're getting printed at all...although even our local street press over here in Aus now does colour runs.

Did a festival, and did a stupid thing by packing a broken camera because I left packing until last minute. Had to do a second round trip the morning of the festival (320ish-km/200 miles) to borrow a 60D from someone which actually turned out pretty good? Also borrowed a friends D700 and a 28-70 2.8 lens for wide stuff to give it a go, and I also think I like what I can get out of Nikon better than what I can get out of Canon.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
In all the times I've shot concerts this was the weirdest lighting setup I've ever encountered. One light cranked up on white on a backdrop, a projector with graphics, and small LED setups right next to the monitors on slow activity. Did get some good pics though.

DSCF1905 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF2295 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF2971 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF3649 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF4088 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Well at least it was rear projection unlike the condition at the show I shot last night.

The upside was the venue had a fog machine and it made for some cool photos.

The downside is the venue had a fog machine and I had to wet clean my sensor this morning because of lens swaps.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Well at least it was rear projection unlike the condition at the show I shot last night.

I've only seen front projection work well for photos if whoever is playing also has a good visualist on board like at chiptune shows. Since the venues tend to be small the performers are usually close to the screen so it helps as well.
IMG_0125 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
IMG_9788 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

From what I've seen this tends to be the exception though.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Fourth year staffing San Japan shooting their concerts... but this time around without a longer zoom that I've used in years past. Given some of these shots I kinda think it was for the better.

DSCF6676 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF6821 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF7092 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF7892 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF7915 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'll poo poo post. I don't know if there are any Baroness fans here, but their new guitar player Gina Gleason is the loving poo poo. I was super skeptical about someone replacing Pete Adams, but she heads it up with authority. I can't wait to see what they put out on their next album with her influence. Handful of Baroness shots from Brewtal Beerfest 2 over the weekend.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
My brother-in-law's band had a show in a small club on Saturday and I brought my camera for fun to try to get some shots. This was my first time shooting musicians like this. I usually shoot wildlife and landscapes, so trying to get moving people in a dark room with hosed up lighting was definitely a challenge, but A) it was super fun B) it's really hard and I'm so impressed with the stuff I saw in this thread when I skimmed through before the show.

If there's a next time, I'll definitely try to be bolder and move around more.

Engine-6191 on Flickr

Engine 88-6265 on Flickr

Tom and Eric-6388 on Flickr

Tom-6213 on Flickr

Damon-6212 on Flickr

Damon Wood-6297 on Flickr

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My brother-in-law's band had a show in a small club on Saturday and I brought my camera for fun to try to get some shots. This was my first time shooting musicians like this. I usually shoot wildlife and landscapes, so trying to get moving people in a dark room with hosed up lighting was definitely a challenge, but A) it was super fun B) it's really hard and I'm so impressed with the stuff I saw in this thread when I skimmed through before the show.

Tom-6213 on Flickr

That is a drat good shot. Killer face that draws you to some intense hands.

Navigating the minefield of the crowd to try and grab some tiny instant of the lighting and performers cooperating is what I love most about concert shoots. I only wish post were anywhere near as fun.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

. I only wish post were anywhere near as fun.

Looking at you lighting designers that drench the stage in red LEDs.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Tom-6213 on Flickr
That's very similar to how I started shooting bands and concerts. It wasn't a relative or friend, but I had been out for a late-afternoon walk trying to shoot birds and landscapes when my GF invited me to a bar with her friends that was hosting a kind of battle-of-the-bands thing. I shot most of that night through my 105mm macro, because it had a much wider useable aperture than the other lenses I had with me.

Also, I like that picture.

Helen Highwater posted:

The Trews 30 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
This shot was actually lots of fun to process, I already had plenty of "properly" lit shots so the crazy lighting the band brings with them on tour (that big square in the background is not owned by the venue) was just a toy for me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
For small venues, get the widest angle lens you can find. Not only do ultra-wides make group shots and full-body shots possible from close range (which you will need to avoid obstructions), but they also make pictures more dramatic by exaggerating perspective.

Also, thank you for not tilting the camera.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

One of my musician friends actually invested in a couple of on stage light bars and always sets them to full white so she can actually get good video of performances. Certainly help with my pics as well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If the lighting is all red, I just assume I'm effectively shooting in black & white

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

If the lighting is all red, I just assume I'm effectively shooting in black & white

:same:

Skalmold by Iain Compton, on Flickr

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Some of the performers I shot last night did have their own lighting setups. And for that I'm thankful. I was able to do stuff with the ones that didn't though.

DSCF1409 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF2048 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF2008 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF2831 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF2900 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I followed Dillinger Escape Plan around half the country last month, and only took a phone camera. I'm gonna miss these guys.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

So at the show I shot at in my last post I also had a Fuji Instax Wide 300 with me. I'll make sure to have it with me at shows in the future.

img018 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img020 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img014 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img023 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

David Gahan has fallen so far

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Old school thrash (Death Angel, Annihilator and Testament) at a tiny club in my town.

IMG_9277.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9674.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9250.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9348.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

I brought a Spotmatic full of Delta 3200 along too.

Spotmatic007.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Spotmatic003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

I brought a Spotmatic full of Delta 3200 along too.

Spotmatic007.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Spotmatic003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Considering that I have one I'm trying to get up and running again for stuff like this I was really curious how the Delta 3200 would look for concerts. Will have to give it a try.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I ignored the lightmeter and was shooting at 1/60th and f/2 with a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4. I figured that if the lights fell nicely I was going to get something salvageable or I wasn't and that way I only had to deal with focus. I got a bit of fogging on the film so I had to gently caress about with the dehaze tool in Lr to get acceptable contrast. I don't know if I just had bad luck from reflected light or if I managed to gently caress up developing somehow.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Fog or just lack of contrast? Delta 3200 is an ISO 1000 film designed to be push processed so in some lights it's really not great. IMO Tri-x or HP5+ pushed to 3200 or above gets you better results.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to say. The negatives looked foggy when I took them out of the tank. I developed them in 1+25 Rodinal for 11 minutes.

Here it is without edits - just cleanup and inverting.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
How expired is your Delta 3200? Even fresh Delta 3200 is kinda poo poo.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
No clue. it wasn't in a box, I just had the plastic tub in my fridge. I vaguely remember buying it cheap because the shop had no clue how old it was.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That's probably it, those crazy high box speed films build up base fog in no time compared to even ISO 400 ones.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I haven't edited any photos for months. Thanks to this thread I sat down and got some done.

Mudmen at Maxwells 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 28 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 29 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 34 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 39 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 42 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 44 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 54 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 62 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 64 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Here's another that I'm really pleased with.

IMG_9712.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Protip: HP5 and Delta 400 are just as good if not better at 3200 as Delta 3200 is as long as you know how to push process.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I would just like to say gently caress auto stage lighting. Especially those with fast color cycles.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Turns out my Spotmatic wasn't worth repairing so I ended up picking up a Pentax ES II for cheap. Ran some Delta 3200 through it at a local show this past weekend. For not having shot film and fully manual operation since high school I did get some pics I liked. If I end up doing more film stuff I'll most likely start developing at home. If that's the case I might have to try that HP5 suggestion that was mentioned earlier.

img072 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img082 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img084 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img077 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I took more U2 photos in 2017... went to 7 shows on the Joshua Tree tour. Here are some favorites.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

How hard is it to get photography credentials as a student? It's not for a class but part of a project I'm working on that I'm, going to do with the university. I do not intend to sell the photos at all, or release them to news or whatever. I'm a comm major that used to be a photography major, but I'll be switching back soon.

A Perfect Circle is playing here in a few months, and Maynard has always been super inspirational to me. APC as a whole has.

The project is about the identity issues veterans face when leaving service. Maynard was in the military too so it would be cool to see him through a lens. I want to shoot some concert photography but have no idea who to talk to about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd start by figuring out who the promoter is and asking them.