Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chaos is the worst because it makes losing a battle a nearly unrecoverable set back while giving you tools to never lose a battle if youre willing to abuse autoreolve + lightning strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
from turins stream, he is going through the mortal empire changes for custom battles

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

good, goblins rule and skarsnik's da best

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
squig hoppers now have more AP and anti infantry

EDIT

A lot of the item changes are really good.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 25, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like all feral units rampage now, including unmounted squigs.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 25, 2017

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010

I've seen the AI come at me with some weird stuff before but this is incredible.

The auto-resolve recognizes this is not a good army and he's got another perfectly normal stack floating around out there.
I guess Stotchel Hammerfist just really liked catapults.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Every stone has a grudge on it. This dwarf has been styled on many times.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's honestly sort of fun to play against those crazy army comps sometimes as long as it's not a frequent deal.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pokeylope posted:

I've seen the AI come at me with some weird stuff before but this is incredible.

The auto-resolve recognizes this is not a good army and he's got another perfectly normal stack floating around out there.
I guess Stotchel Hammerfist just really liked catapults.
I had something similar happen to me in the first game, but it was goblins. I was playing dwarfs and the autoresolve was hilariously in their favor. I quick-saved, gave it a shot and my army was loving wrecked. I reloaded and actually fought it out, winning easily with minimal casualties.

Autoresolve's borked.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've had a lot of confusing auto-resolve poo poo where the game says I can't win and then manage to do it easily. It works if the armies are balanced but you can throw it out. Like a stack of globadiers will for whatever reason win nearly any auto-resolve you throw at it.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

THE THRONG IS MUSTARD

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
From my not a ton of games, I've noticed the ai army comp seems much improved over 1. A lot of decent stacks, maybe dumb occasionally but not all t1 units. I had a HE stack even that haf 2 eagles, 3 dragons, and elite inf and archers. It was better than any non scripted army I had ever seen in 1.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
What's the best use for Khainite Assassins in battle? I feel like I'm not using mine very well, it's hard for it to get a ranged bead on the enemy lord since they're usually surrounded by units and the elves don't field caster lords for it to snipe. I tried using it as a melee assassin but it just got its rear end kicked, mostly I've been using the it as a decent damage flanker. Should I be keeping it ranged instead? The missile damage is impressive but I can't tell when it's shooting or how much it's actually doing if it does.

JBP posted:

I've had a lot of confusing auto-resolve poo poo where the game says I can't win and then manage to do it easily. It works if the armies are balanced but you can throw it out. Like a stack of globadiers will for whatever reason win nearly any auto-resolve you throw at it.

I'm think the higher difficulties give the AI autores bonuses and it actively works against them sometimes. Tried Morathi's opening battle a few times, couldn't manage it. Retreated her to her capital's reinforce range, the army attacked when it was an obvious loss. Beats a lovely stalemate, but it's a bit silly sometimes. Skaven melee also get hit really hard, I think the calculation undervalues Menace really badly. I had a first turn rebel stack hit a settlement multiple times, the basic forces were slightly in their favour but I had six Menace charges. I basically had double their numbers in completely disposable deepstrike skaven, but my bar was a sliver :shrug:

Also the AI needs to learn to keep a guard unit or two on its arty. It already tends to pack too much melee, they may as well.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Shame I never got to experience the wood elf horde destroying everything in their path, got the game late enough that they were all isolationist.

Most I've seen them do was playing vampire counts with Ghorst. Had just had Bretonnia declare war on me and at the same time discovered the Bretonnia was massive and had confederated almost everything it could. I was moving an army up from messing around in Tilea and decided to shortcut through the forest.

Assumed the wood elves would take offence to me raiding, and sure enough up pops the diplomacy screen. Where instead of declaring war on me they ask for 1000 gold and they'll go to war with Bretonnia?? Weird priorities.

They took the entire of Bordeaux and also nabbed Parravon. Almost like they were looking for any excuse!

Best enemy of my enemy you could ask for, even if they absolutely hated my undead guts the whole time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

It was posted a while back in the thread but I don't remember the exact post to link it, unfortunately, but basically auto-resolve has some really funky math when it comes to ranged attackers. It is VERY generous to artillery, basically allowing it to expend its entire ammo supply into the enemy even if in reality you could easily flank and smash it two volleys in. It uses similar logic for skirmishers, but artillery generally have a better overall damage/ammo ratio which is why they do so well. Melee units meanwhile get pretty hosed and it also seems to do weird poo poo like dump all the damage on to a single unit and just wipe it out rather than having it spread around as would be much more common in a real fight.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Shame I never got to experience the wood elf horde destroying everything in their path, got the game late enough that they were all isolationist.

This was funny once, but spending all your energy early game dealing with the Chaos Elves on subsequent plays was irritating as gently caress. I did find it funny playing as Empire and seeing Orion smashing his way through the mountains and Sylvania on like turn 25 (before he came for the Empire and I was like please gently caress off).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

My favourite autoresolve-ism is looking at the after battle results and noting that one enemy shitkicker unit that got 250 kills for no reason, while others like it got 20. I don't mean artillery either I mean basic spearmen.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Yes. At least try it. Youre in the minority for how you want the campaign changed and you basically described those modes.

Multiplayer hooks perfectly into my anxiety and leaves me stressed as gently caress unless I've been drinking. Custom battle is alright but I wish there was a linked series or something. I should actually try quest battles from the menu.

But something like custom battle army selection married to the campaign would be A+.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gitro posted:

What's the best use for Khainite Assassins in battle? I feel like I'm not using mine very well, it's hard for it to get a ranged bead on the enemy lord since they're usually surrounded by units and the elves don't field caster lords for it to snipe. I tried using it as a melee assassin but it just got its rear end kicked, mostly I've been using the it as a decent damage flanker. Should I be keeping it ranged instead? The missile damage is impressive but I can't tell when it's shooting or how much it's actually doing if it does.

It's got great ranged damage and can fire while moving, just wheel him around the flanks to shoot into peoples backs and bring him into melee to hit heroes while they are engaged with someone else, be sure to pop his ability that lowers their attack/defense to the point where they won't hit anything and can't defend themselves for a good 30 seconds.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Since it will be a bit before the lords get updated to their Norsca patch skillset, I hope they give the DLC lords a pass too.

Starting the game with a lord that doesn't get any real campaign bonuses is a drag because you're also deprived benefiting from the other campaign bonuses on other lords you get later. So for some of them it feels like a disadvantage to start with them.

Ghorst: Zombies have regeneration and increased heal cap(campaign) . Change his army wide poison to a more specific debuff so that it will actually stack with poison units.

Belagor: All dwarf units have +5 melee attack and leadership vs Skaven and Greenskins.

Volkmar: All heroes have bonus action success chance in areas with over 30 corruption of any type.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
with Ghorst, I actually found his bonus of 20% replenishment to be huge, never had to wait more then a turn or two for even a trashed army to be back to full, no having to take fights with units at 70% strength.

Once he gets his corpse cart he gets really great to buff up his army.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 25, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I have not found a way to beat Skaven with High Elves against a competent player.

HE infantry gets torn apart, archers get summoned against, cav is good but eventually whittled down, and dragons are way to susceptible to skaven missile fire and tempest spells

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been watching some replays and it looks like people have been having a ton of luck with that Dragon Knight build. Micro intensive but that multiplayer for you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What's the Dragon Knight build?

Also, I've heard there is a summoning glitch, not sure what that's about but I assume I'm a victim.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Boon posted:

What's the Dragon Knight build?

Also, I've heard there is a summoning glitch, not sure what that's about but I assume I'm a victim.

I think this is the summoning glitch you're referring to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kegkyi541nE
TL;DW unit summons don't have a hitbox. So 100s of them can stand in the same spot and attack the same target and do so much damage it kills the target much faster than intended.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's been fixed for the mortal empires patch.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Real Cool Catfish posted:

It sounds like alot more fun then it was. Green Chaos was waaaaayyy harder then regular Chaos.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wood Elves are the worst faction to fight against and I'm glad that they now just sit around jerking off in their forest forever.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

One of the roaming armies is mostly wood elf units and it's loving HORRIFIC to fight against.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Truecon420 posted:

Is there a total war discord or your personal discord? I'm learning modding a bit but can't figure out how to change victory conditions

Its the goonfite discord for total war multiplayer: https://discord.gg/dRrW3S

Mostly for multiplayer but ive gotten some live-ish feedback from people there regarding my mods so its nice for that too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's really cool how ritual intervention armies can spawn deep within the interior of Ulthuan, that indomitable bastion protected by the world's most tenacious defenses. I guess someone fell asleep and left the gate open? whoops, three stacks of chaos and skaven just poofed into existence just south of the Phoenix Gate! I have the number 1 army in the world but there's no way to position my armies so that I don't lose several cities before I can get my stacks to where they need to be.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's got great ranged damage and can fire while moving, just wheel him around the flanks to shoot into peoples backs and bring him into melee to hit heroes while they are engaged with someone else, be sure to pop his ability that lowers their attack/defense to the point where they won't hit anything and can't defend themselves for a good 30 seconds.

Yeah, don't know why I wasn't already doing that. I just keep thinking assassin man = stabbing.

Elf mirrors are boring as hell. I could take Morathi raiding down south but I can't afford to get jumped by a bunch of backstabbing pirates.

Doe VH hide the murderbar's progress? I can't see it fill up any more, but I definitely go purple sometimes. Still usually too late to really matter, but at least it happens before the end of battle most times.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 25, 2017

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I feel like the murderbar scales depending on how many guys you have in your army. I had to kill 600 of the 300 enemy present to trigger it one time.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Pendent posted:

It's honestly sort of fun to play against those crazy army comps sometimes as long as it's not a frequent deal.

They should make the armies that spawn in during rituals way more gimmicky and flavorful, like themed TT armies. Make the campaign map stuff take a cue from tower defense games or something and have them give weird buffs to each other if they aren’t defeated in certain ways, etc.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gitro posted:

I'm think the higher difficulties give the AI autores bonuses and it actively works against them sometimes. Tried Morathi's opening battle a few times, couldn't manage it. Retreated her to her capital's reinforce range, the army attacked when it was an obvious loss. Beats a lovely stalemate, but it's a bit silly sometimes. Skaven melee also get hit really hard, I think the calculation undervalues Menace really badly. I had a first turn rebel stack hit a settlement multiple times, the basic forces were slightly in their favour but I had six Menace charges. I basically had double their numbers in completely disposable deepstrike skaven, but my bar was a sliver :shrug:

Also the AI needs to learn to keep a guard unit or two on its arty. It already tends to pack too much melee, they may as well.

The current nations seem to be split between "Dude who is literally surrounded by his entire nation and will make oodles of cash without trying."" and "Exile that has shitfuck to his name and has to scrounge for every advantage.". It's kind of dull compared to the situation's available in Warhammer's Old World setup. Though it's had more time to flesh them out.

Also, if I try to do a co-op campaign will someone joining automatically download any mods i'm using? Or do we have to figure that godawful mess out ahead of time?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

uber_stoat posted:

it's really cool how ritual intervention armies can spawn deep within the interior of Ulthuan, that indomitable bastion protected by the world's most tenacious defenses. I guess someone fell asleep and left the gate open? whoops, three stacks of chaos and skaven just poofed into existence just south of the Phoenix Gate! I have the number 1 army in the world but there's no way to position my armies so that I don't lose several cities before I can get my stacks to where they need to be.

It annoys me more that Nagarythe and Ellyrion just let Chaos stacks walk right in through their gates. We're allies ffs.

Even if we weren't, come on.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Knobb Manwich posted:

I feel like the murderbar scales depending on how many guys you have in your army. I had to kill 600 of the 300 enemy present to trigger it one time.

Yeah, I don't even know now. It seems like it goes down on higher difficulties? I tested Malekith's start four times, easy through VH. E-H the starting skaven retreats once, engages with reinforcements from their settlement. VH it fights where it is, but with approximately the same amount of models (~1260 models, I got caught up in actually playing the game on VH so I forgot to check the post battle). Still, 9-10 Skaven units is going to be around 1200 models. E-H it was 544-546 to activate murdermode, VH it was 440. I thought maybe it was proportional to forces, and reinforcements didn't count? I tested VH against the northernmost skaven settlement, maybe 500 models for the defenders with more units for me. 1 turn of recruitment with some damaged units in my army, we're still talking at least a net increase of 2 units worth of troops. 420ish to activate murder mode.

With 400 units against 790 skaven, I need 360 to activate murder time. With 600 against 200, I need 350. I'm getting tired of reloading to check so in conclusion: VH doesn't hide the progress, the bar just doesn't fill. The count is weird, fewer kills needed to activate with more soldiers on my side relative to theirs. It might be related to enemy units, regardless of actual model count. I googled it and someone said it's autores power bar based, and I mean maybe but then it's definitely way easier to fill on VH. Also Malekith's opening battle is ludicrously easy compared to Morathi's.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

JBP posted:

This was funny once, but spending all your energy early game dealing with the Chaos Elves on subsequent plays was irritating as gently caress. I did find it funny playing as Empire and seeing Orion smashing his way through the mountains and Sylvania on like turn 25 (before he came for the Empire and I was like please gently caress off).

Yeah, that makes sense why everyone's glad it got changed!

Maybe burning down the oak of ages should regress them back to their old ways, did find it silly they didn't seem to care when I did it as Skarsnik.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
9 hydras in this stack. Might have to give up on this campaign where the beastcatchas took the entire east coast of Ulthuan. It's no fun to fight, but if I don't they'll keep autoresolving their way to world domination.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Patch notes here. Confirmation that the Foundation update changes will be added at a later date.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/mortal-empires-patch-notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Knobb Manwich posted:

Pretty sure murderbar is based on all dead, not just enemy dead. I think I saw it activate for AI delves from being shot at by helves on ninjahund’s stream before the game was released.