Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

my favorite moment in SH3 is when Heather sees a writhing mass of goop and blades blocking her path and her response is something like "ugh how annoying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

But do you know why birds fly?

To make Prince Percival happy :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm enjoying the plot at the end if Berseria fir the most part but the villains scheme is so ridiculous and evil that it feels ridiculous to see characters give impassioned speeches against them because of how disconnected they seem from any form of reality. Like the villains are literally against free will and that's just so obviously ridiculous to me that I can't imagine why the game feels it needs try and convince me that it's bad
i mean tales of zestiria was a game where the literal protagonists were kind of against free will and letting people work through their issues on their own and berseria is a game that partly exists as a 'wow zestiria sure sucked hard sorry about that' thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Folks, I started watching ProJared and Gaming Historian (as well as the old gaming urban legends series) because of this thread/forum, any further suggestions for good Youtube gaming content?

The Angry Video Game Nerd

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Noclip documentaries are pretty good. I should probably get around to the one he just released about the Witcher

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i mean tales of zestiria was a game where the literal protagonists were kind of against free will and letting people work through their issues on their own and berseria is a game that partly exists as a 'wow zestiria sure sucked hard sorry about that' thing

This is my first Tales that's but if that's the case, that sounds remarkably lovely an is hilarious

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Noclip documentaries are pretty good. I should probably get around to the one he just released about the Witcher

Did he (Danny) ever get better about his idea that we need to “debate” shitheads like TB about women in games or what the gently caress ever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

This is my first Tales that's but if that's the case, that sounds remarkably lovely an is hilarious

look forward to the new game from the guy responsible for zestiria, coming to you soon from a low-budget square studio that isn't tokyo rpg factory

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the protagonist of tales of zestiria thinks that orphans with depression and mildly greedy rich guys are worse than his best friend, a trained assassin who has killed hundreds of people for a variety of fairly flimsy reasons

also one of the party members literally crawls inside said assassin's head and uses her as a puppet to accomplish his own goals when she's asleep, and nobody ever goes 'you know, maybe that was a hosed up thing to do'

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

the protagonist of tales of zestiria thinks that orphans with depression and mildly greedy rich guys are worse than his best friend, a trained assassin who has killed hundreds of people for a variety of fairly flimsy reasons

also one of the party members literally crawls inside said assassin's head and uses her as a puppet to accomplish his own goals when she's asleep, and nobody ever goes 'you know, maybe that was a hosed up thing to do'

Oh, a party of assholes that trumps Abyss where everyone shits on the protag for being an ignorant brat because he spent his whole life secluded and intentionally told nothing about the state of the world.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Oh, a party of assholes that trumps Abyss where everyone shits on the protag for being an ignorant brat because he spent his whole life secluded and intentionally told nothing about the state of the world.

i hate this argument because it just tells me that someone has never played far enough into abyss to see the parts where guy specifically addresses that

like multiple times guy says "you know, what he did was hosed up, but i can't really put all the blame on him cause it's not like we helped him learn to know any better and we were there his entire life"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am playing Berseria right now and I was literally thinking "it feels like whoever made this game wanted to make a game about assholes who aren't actually assholes" and well that explains why.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Four of the six are still kind of assholes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Magilou is too charming to be an rear end in a top hat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's literally a part in zestiria where the main character, a goofball who loves ancient architecture and eats bread with his friends, is faced with the dilemma of a person being too wrong for him to save them and literally he pulls out a sword and says "i'm sorry, but this is the only way i can think of to save you"

and then his friend kills them and the message is you should never take on tasks too hard for yourself, when your friends are always there to murder people for you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

luke killed thousands of people

and most of the party forgives him for it and his response as the game goes on, they just, you know, reacted like people would to the realization that thousands of people just died in front of them

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

chumbler posted:

Four of the six are still kind of assholes.

Yeah but they're cool assholes.

al-azad posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say as someone who beat abyss that this is pretty much my feelings too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guy: forgives luke almost immediately
tear: forgives luke almost immediately
natalia: doesnt really talk to him about it but even in the moment she wasn't going after him, she was more confused about the whole asch thing
jude: has multiple skits where he and luke talk about guilt and responsibility
anise: has an entire arc about being kind of a selfish brat herself

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ten hours before the end of abyss the entire party lines up next to luke and says "hey. man. we cool" and the next ten hours are them all trying to help him grapple with a sense of worthlessness and self-hatred

there are problems to have with abyss but "the entire party is dicks" is one i've never understood, they're one of the most forgiving and close-knit parties in the entire series

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 25, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i hate this argument because it just tells me that someone has never played far enough into abyss to see the parts where guy specifically addresses that

like multiple times guy says "you know, what he did was hosed up, but i can't really put all the blame on him cause it's not like we helped him learn to know any better and we were there his entire life"

Luke is intentionally misled about his purpose to the point where the only person he can trust is his mentor, the villain. Then everyone bags on him for this despite there being literally no way he could know what his mentor was doing.

Here's the thing: nobody apologizes. Even when Luke acknowledges his flaws and tries to change, the characters rag on him more because they think he's too hard on himself. It's a really abusive party relationship. Everyone is at fault for the big world changing event, one person tries to atone, but instead of everyone self reflecting they toss their insecurities at the person atoning. And yeah everybody accepts the protag and they grow as characters, but Tales of the Abyss has the most passive aggressive party I've seen in a video game. It only made me hate Asche as an anti-hero more because for half the game your party respects the dude more than Luke.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Endorph posted:

guy: forgives luke almost immediately
tear: forgives luke almost immediately
natalia: doesnt really talk to him about it but even in the moment she wasn't going after him, she was more confused about the whole asch thing
jude: has multiple skits where he and luke talk about guilt and responsibility
anise: has an entire arc about being kind of a selfish brat herself

My problem was more that the overall arc was framed as this big redemption for Luke's grave sins for something that happened because he was mind controlled by the main villain while the other characters could have done more to prevent it (my memory's a bit fuzzy but Tear knew her brother was evil since she tried to kill him and that other kid undid the seal for no real reason). Although I did really like the stuff with Jude and his whole story was my favorite part of the game.

edit: ^^^^ yeah, I kinda agree with that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Luke is intentionally misled about his purpose to the point where the only person he can trust is his mentor, the villain. Then everyone bags on him for this despite there being literally no way he could know what his mentor was doing.

Here's the thing: nobody apologizes. Even when Luke acknowledges his flaws and tries to change, the characters rag on him more because they think he's too hard on himself. It's a really abusive party relationship. Everyone is at fault for the big world changing event, one person tries to atone, but instead of everyone self reflecting they toss their insecurities at the person atoning. And yeah everybody accepts the protag and they grow as characters, but Tales of the Abyss has the most passive aggressive party I've seen in a video game. It only made me hate Asche as an anti-hero more because for half the game your party respects the dude more than Luke.

uh. people don't give luke poo poo for trying to change. they kind of doubt that he's actually going to, but when they see he's actually making an effort to do it, the only point where they start ragging on him is when he's taking it to the point of trying to kill himself for the good of the world because it's the only thing he views his life as having any purpose for. before that, it's literally just anise and jade saying "i doubt you're actually going to change but be my guest"

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 25, 2017

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Folks, I started watching ProJared and Gaming Historian (as well as the old gaming urban legends series) because of this thread/forum, any further suggestions for good Youtube gaming content?

Joseph Anderson has enjoyable and sometimes long analysis and critique videos.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

You could try Easy Allies. They're ex-Gametrailers folk and their pretty chill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The party isn't bagging on Luke for his role in it, they're bagging on him for immediately trying to shift the blame. Regardless of whether or not it was 'his fault,' he still did it. Imagine if you got into a car crash and killed a bus full of schoolkids, stumbled out, then immediately yelled to everyone in earshot about how it wasn't your fault. Yeah, maybe, but jesus christ dude.

And Luke has responsibility for his actions too. Jude is one thing, but the worst Tear had ever done to him is make a couple of snippy comments, and he still utterly refused to listen to her, and Guy had been nothing but gracious and kind to him and he refused to even slow his roll for five seconds or consult Guy for advice on Van asking him to do this kind of shady thing. There were tons of warning signs that Luke just utterly refused to pay attention to, or even slow down and talk to anybody else about. He's culpable in what happened and refused to take even a basic amount of responsibility for it.

And it's not like the party tries to kill him or execute him or anything. Jude and Anise just call him a brat, and then everybody leaves with Asch. Which is a totally fair thing to do: Luke is obviously of no help to anybody right now, and Asch had an actual actionable plan on how to proceed. In real life, Luke'd totally get imprisoned forever for doing that, even if it was an accident or he'd been conditioned into doing it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Tales series sounds like one hell of a rabbit hole

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

uh. people don't give luke poo poo for trying to change. they kind of doubt that he's actually going to, but when they see he's actually making an effort to do it, the only point where they start ragging on him is when he's taking it to the point of trying to kill himself for the good of the world because it's the only thing he views his life as having any purpose for. before that, it's literally just anise and jade saying "i doubt you're actually going to change but be my guest"

But they don't correct him! You have a character who knows nothing and everyone gets frustrated and says "You know nothing Luke" and nobody attempts to educate him even after poo poo hits the fan. He honestly believes he can sacrifice himself to do some good after killing thousands and they're like "GOD drat YOU loving WORTHELESS MORON oh shh shh Asche is coming heeeeey!"

I just did not feel the group dynamic. Tear and Guy were fairly standard but gently caress Jade and Anise, the two characters who know the most about everything yet keep it all to themselves.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

an easily misinterpreted rabbit hole, as i've gathered

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The Tales series sounds like one hell of a rabbit hole

not really, zestiria's the worst the series gets because it's the ultimate result of a producer trying to work way beyond his resources for three games for literally no reason. the worst the series gets otherwise is a couple mediocre games here and there, people have lots of takes on abyss because it does some of the weirdest stuff with its writing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Luke obviously isn't the sole person responsible: Van, for one, but the party themselves are kind of to blame too, for not realizing just how hosed up Luke was and how deep Van's claws were sunk into him, but they actually acknowledge this.

quote:

GUY: But he's a replica, so... It's partly my fault he's grown up the way he
has over the past seven years. ... And partly yours, too, Natalia.

NATALIA: ...Yes...perhaps you're right. As you say, Luke may be in need of
someone to support him right now.

quote:

LUKE: Yeah...more and more is falling into the Qliphoth. All because I
destroyed the Akzeriuth Sephiroth...

ANISE: You can stop saying that now, silly.

Also Jade spends the entire second half of the game trying to correct Luke. They have several heart-to-hearts and Jade stops Luke from making mistakes that they both know he'll regret.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

There were tons of warning signs that Luke just utterly refused to pay attention to, or even slow down and talk to anybody else about. He's culpable in what happened and refused to take even a basic amount of responsibility for it.

I remember plenty of moments where Luke is like "WTF is this?" and someone just tells him off. It's not that the guy refused to pay attention, it's that nobody who could've helped him bothered to do so.

To use your analogy, if I beg a drunk friend to drive me home and he kills a bunch of people he's certainly responsible, but what kind of person would I be if I washed my hands of the scenario when I demanded they drove and could've taken their keys?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its more like if you asked your friend to drive and they constantly insisted that they could and threatened to call the cops if you tried to keep them from their car and also flipped off several low-flying military aircraft and you were stuck in the car with them because the president said not being in the car with them was a federal offense

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice
I'm looking at GOG and I see the Gothic games on sale. I've heard the name enough times to know that some people really like them. Which Gothic game holds up the best?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

jred250 posted:

I'm looking at GOG and I see the Gothic games on sale. I've heard the name enough times to know that some people really like them. Which Gothic game holds up the best?

2 is the one i always see get recced

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hot take: Being a deadbeat father is equally terrible to sexually assault. Or at least bad enough that I wouldn't try to lord over anyone else.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 25, 2017

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Endorph posted:

Luke obviously isn't the sole person responsible: Van, for one, but the party themselves are kind of to blame too, for not realizing just how hosed up Luke was and how deep Van's claws were sunk into him, but they actually acknowledge this.

Also Jade spends the entire second half of the game trying to correct Luke. They have several heart-to-hearts and Jade stops Luke from making mistakes that they both know he'll regret.

I get that there moments like that in the game but it still felt really unbalanced to me. There are some specific things I have issue with, but really it's more of the overall tone of the whole game feels too mean and hyper-focused on blaming the main character. Like when this is the response to a 60-80 hour RPG.

The Colonel posted:

I just think the game was too unpleasant for my tastes. I don't have any problem with people who are big fans of the game though. I think it's a fine game if you didn't have that kinda problem with it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

jred250 posted:

Coming from someone who beat the original trilogy 2 years ago, none of them. Gothic 1 has a fun setting but gameplay is pretty bad. Gothic 2 is more generic orcs-attack-humans and the Gold edition force installs an expansion pack that immensely fucks up the balance. Gothic 3 is boring and bland.

I just can't recommend these to anyone except gluttons for old school gameplay. They're intentionally difficult, awkwardly balanced, and demand that you abuse pathing and other AI tricks to win. Gothic 1 is conceptually fun but in a world where The Witcher 3 exists I can't tell anyone in 2017 to check out Gothic 2 or 3.

e: The devs of Gothic moved on to the Risen series. The first Risen is solid, haven't played the other two but I hear middling opinions. And Pirahna Bytes just recently released a new game called Elex? Eleth? Whatever, but reviews have been positive and its aesthetic is sci-fi high fantasy which is my jam.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

Magilou is too charming to be an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah Magilou owns and is consistently the best part of the game. Velvet owns too but it isn't as consistent.

Eisen is kind of irritating though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah Magilou owns and is consistently the best part of the game. Velvet owns too but it isn't as consistent.

Eisen is kind of irritating though.

eizen's good because he nerds out over archaeology and then gets owned by eleanor

• Locked thread