Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just roll that negative marriage equity into your new one.

We Americans call that “rolling with the punches”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Droo posted:

She literally bought a $100,000 car on a ~$50k salary? How is that even possible
She got a "Great deal on a lease"! :downs:

It gets better, though. Her current boyfriend also has a luxury vehicle, and they got the Merc because his car was always breaking down and in the shop (just high end cars having high-end problems). They simply wanted the white glove treatment that her boyfriend gets at the dealership, being a regular customer and all. Which is why they wouldn't settle for a less expensive car.

It's also really strange because her parents are very frugal with their money and otherwise great, caring people. She did not grew up wealthy. Like, at all. But at some point the wheels fell off of the loving wagon and she went and did her own crazy wannabe-Kardashian thing. I haven't piped up about her spending spree because I'd prefer to sit back and :munch:.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just roll that negative marriage equity into your new one.
Do not give her any ideas.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 23, 2017

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Droo posted:

She literally bought a $100,000 car on a ~$50k salary? How is that even possible

could have financed it over 9-10 years with 10k-ish down... probably a grand a month after finance charges but i could definitely see a "helpful" F&I guy (or girl) making the numbers work for such a great, loyal customer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well if you can get a zero interest promotional loan that is only $15, 000 a year for 7 years. That is what half her take home? If the housing is all on her lucky husband then she can "afford" it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sometimes you just have to treat yourself!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Fake it until you make it. Come on, people - where have you been?

PCjr sidecar posted:

There's always room in the PCjr family! We've got light pens! A word processor with a spell check that takes half an hour to spell check a paragraph! Wireless keyboards! Cartridges! Microsoft Flight Simulator 2! Three-voice synth! Charlie Chaplin! There's never been a better time to be on the jr train!

A version of MS Flight Sim worked on the PCjr? I think you're lying. I'd have killed for a flight sim.

The OS was on a cartridge. So old. So feeble. At least it was cheap compared to other computers at the time. I just remember wishing for an IBM AT with a math co-processor.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Being a plumber is incredibly good with money. Last quote I had was something like: "I'll fix the leak but I get to gently caress your wife and have right of first refusal on your children's kidneys. Also, six hundred dollars just for looking at the pipes."

Also, if you're a homeowner, you are only getting the worst plumbers. Anyone who is both honest and good has more business then they can handle from landlords, property management companies, corporate properties, and general contractors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Konstantin posted:

Also, if you're a homeowner, you are only getting the worst plumbers. Anyone who is both honest and good has more business then they can handle from landlords, property management companies, corporate properties, and general contractors.

Unless you get a referral from your former landlord. :eng101:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don't pay a plumber. It's just tubes with poop in them and gravity. All plumbing problems can be fixed with rubber cement, plumbers tape, or a quick rehaul of the entire plumbing system of your home while it completely fills with poo poo and piss. Plumbing....don't make me laugh.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you can fix the internet you can fix a poop pipe.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Elephanthead posted:

That's a pretty high bar, I don't think anyone can fix the internet.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ashcans posted:

That's a pretty high bar, I don't think anyone can fix the internet.

Delete Twitter and Facebook and you’ve solved at least 75% of the problems.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But then eliminated about 80% of the BWM stories.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Elephanthead posted:

Everybody shitposts.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't pay a plumber. It's just tubes with poop in them and gravity. All plumbing problems can be fixed with rubber cement, plumbers tape, or a quick rehaul of the entire plumbing system of your home while it completely fills with poo poo and piss. Plumbing....don't make me laugh.

Instead of a toilet, use a pot. Once a day (or week or whatever), you dump it down a storm drain. If anything goes wrong, it becomes the city's problem. Walla!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CellBlock posted:

Everybody shitposts.

Not an empty quote

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leave your dirty dishes outside. Once it rains give them a quick scrub and bring them back inside. You've just saved thousands in water bills over the course of your life.

Pro Tip:
Gather the dishes while naked. You've just saved in shower costs.

Pro-Pro Tip:
Where all of your clothes while you gather them up. You've just saved on laundry and showering costs.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go nuts. Gotta edge yourself into this kind of thing.

Like making a salad and showering at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15puo-dSEIY

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Leave your dirty dishes outside. Once it rains give them a quick scrub and bring them back inside. You've just saved thousands in water bills over the course of your life.

Pro Tip:
Gather the dishes while naked. You've just saved in shower costs.

Pro-Pro Tip:
Where all of your clothes while you gather them up. You've just saved on laundry and showering costs.

I like the direction this is going. It's going to be the GWM thread in no time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68tH-lnK60

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Delete Twitter and Facebook and you’ve solved at least 75% of the problems.

Add G+ to get to 75.05%.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Betazoid posted:

Slightly unrelated, but a mix-up from a common name can be absolute hell. Wanted to share this incredible article I read about name mix-up issues:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/03/identity-theft-racial-justice

Wait, don't you have like personal identification numbers or something? What if two people have the same name and birthday? Thousands of babies with the same name must be born every year. How does that system even work?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Killstick posted:

Wait, don't you have like personal identification numbers or something? What if two people have the same name and birthday? Thousands of babies with the same name must be born every year. How does that system even work?

We have social security numbers, but they aren't designed to be used as ID numbers and there's a lot of cultural reluctance (insane fundamentalist numerology paranoia) against designing something for that purpose.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

Add G+ to get to 75.05%.

That’s a bold statement.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

We have social security numbers, but they aren't designed to be used as ID numbers and there's a lot of cultural reluctance (insane fundamentalist numerology paranoia) against designing something for that purpose.

Is it paranoia that I don't want the number of the beast tattooed on me?!?!?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

omnibobb posted:

Is it paranoia that I don't want the number of the beast tattooed on me?!?!?

Obviously, but if you've ever purchased anything with a bar code on it you're already going to hell so drink up

April
Jul 3, 2006

Are we still posting BWM stories?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/78g1rr/my_debt_is_putting_halt_on_my_life/?st=j9648tfm&sh=d72f8319

quote:

Hey everyone.
Let me give you some background on my current financial situation. I am 22, working full time making a decent amount of money for my age and college status. About 30k a year. I am also in school full time. I put myself through school currently, using student loans. I finance two cars, one I pay about $269 a month and my other car is about $369 a month. I have three credit cards. One maxed and the other two are at the higher end of use.
About two years ago I was living in an apartment with my significant other and a roommate when my s/o took my car in the middle of the night and completely wrecked it. I didn't have insurance coverage on it the night of the incident so all the repairs had to come out of pocket. It was roughly 6k in repairs to get it running and I didn't have that and my job was threatening to fire me if I couldn't figure something out. So I went out and I financed a new car.
I am starting to get overwhelmed with my lack of options.
I had to move back home to afford the cars and credit cards which wasn't a problem until my dad lost his job and had to move extremely out of the way for another job. So on top of my two car situation I am now commuting about 2 hours to work each way.
My current debt is about 27k. 20k in auto loans, 2.7k in credit cards, 5k in student loans and $600 in collections from my previous apartment complex coming after me for alleged damages.
I don't know what to do to ease my situation. Each month I am barely able to make it to the next paycheck. The drive is extremely strenuous but I can't afford to move closer to my job, and I haven't had any luck finding a job that can cover the cost of my monthly payments closer to my house.
The only options I've been able to understand that might ease my life would be voluntary repossession of one of my vehicles, or seeing if I qualify for some type of bankruptcy. My credit is basically shot. I am sitting below 600.
I have been in this cycle for almost two years and I've lost hope that buckling down and paying everything down will come quickly because life has just been throwing things back at me.
If anyone has any advice or guidance on what I can do to actually make an impact and greatly help my quality of life I would love that. Thank you.
Let me know if anyone needs any more information to help come to a conclusion
Edit: I am upside down on both car loans. Selling value of chevy 4k financing it for 11.8k selling value of my smart car about 4k financing that for 8k.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A friend of mine who lives in South Florida needed help with money when the hurricanes were hitting. So I sent her $100 thinking she would buy food, water, and other necessities just in case they were without power for a long period of time. I was going to send more than $100 but 1) it was a wire transfer and I didn't want to send more to the wrong account (this is how she requested it -- I wanted to do western union or something but she told me that every place that does WU or something similar was closed or closing soon, including wal-mart) and 2) I don't know how she is with money. I was willing to "lose" $100 even though it was meant as a gift that wouldn't need to be repaid.

She bought beer with it.

A couple weeks later she hits me up for money again, this time because her and her boyfriend are getting evicted from their apartment. She said she gets paid on the 17th from her new job but the landlord wants the money by the 15th. I told her no, because she bought beer with the last bit of money I gave her. She told me that she bought groceries too, beer was just something to do while the power was out.

She started a gofundme asking for $1000. Last I checked it was up to $400-something.

The very next day she posted something on facebook asking if anyone was going to a concert she was going to and that tickets were $20 a piece. Someone replied asking her "aren't you begging for money because you're about to be evicted?"

Her response was "I'm being evicted on the 15th, the concert is next month. I figured it would be a nice way to celebrate if I get a miracle and the landlord gives me some grace."

She got evicted.

I wonder if she's still going to that concert though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Only if there's a miracle and some naive person gives her $20 for a ticket. :angel:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I know plenty of people like that. I also know alcoholics who blacked out that they went to the bar and file fraud claims trying to get it back.

Also old people that forget they take money out, but that's more heartbreaking than BWM.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I mean it's basic chemistry....

An organism finds a source of energy it can extract for little to no effort. Why would this organism change its ways? We are machines designed to carve out the path of least resistance!

I used this illustration on a roommate whose 36 year old bf was mooching off of and living rent free in the pad while having sneak sex with a teenager (a Very Good Deal). Roommate was not amused.

Bizarrely enough he was a cool roomie. She was the one who was batshit and pushed me to move with her lack of consideration for the only other individual contributing to the rent. Weird how that works out.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 24, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

A friend of mine who lives in South Florida needed help with money when the hurricanes were hitting. So I sent her $100 thinking she would buy food, water, and other necessities just in case they were without power for a long period of time. I was going to send more than $100 but 1) it was a wire transfer and I didn't want to send more to the wrong account (this is how she requested it -- I wanted to do western union or something but she told me that every place that does WU or something similar was closed or closing soon, including wal-mart) and 2) I don't know how she is with money. I was willing to "lose" $100 even though it was meant as a gift that wouldn't need to be repaid.

She bought beer with it.

A couple weeks later she hits me up for money again, this time because her and her boyfriend are getting evicted from their apartment. She said she gets paid on the 17th from her new job but the landlord wants the money by the 15th. I told her no, because she bought beer with the last bit of money I gave her. She told me that she bought groceries too, beer was just something to do while the power was out.

She started a gofundme asking for $1000. Last I checked it was up to $400-something.

The very next day she posted something on facebook asking if anyone was going to a concert she was going to and that tickets were $20 a piece. Someone replied asking her "aren't you begging for money because you're about to be evicted?"

Her response was "I'm being evicted on the 15th, the concert is next month. I figured it would be a nice way to celebrate if I get a miracle and the landlord gives me some grace."

She got evicted.

Doesn't it take months to get evicted? Like she had to be in serious trouble before the hurricanes even hit.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Uh oh brand new car broke, finance a new car!

Uh oh brand new car broke, finance a new car!

Uh oh

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Wafer posted:

Doesn't it take months to get evicted? Like she had to be in serious trouble before the hurricanes even hit.

Depends on the state. California's got really strong renter protections, but I'd guess Florida not so much.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

I didn’t know she was getting evicted until she asked me for money a week or so before her eviction date. But I imagine she shouldn’t have been buying beer with the money I did give her to help with her situation during the hurricanes.

The story she was telling people is that the hurricanes are the reason she was getting evicted. She never really clarified what that meant and I didn’t really care to ask, so maybe she lost her job because of the hurricane? She’s a career waitress and bartender. Anyway, the story seemed fishy to me. Her friends were telling her to apply for FEMA assistance. Or bitching about why her relatives weren’t bailing her out. And saying “yeah I would help you out but I’m broke too!”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Irma tore through Florida dropping applications for bartending positions.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fake it until you make it. Come on, people - where have you been?

A version of MS Flight Sim worked on the PCjr? I think you're lying. I'd have killed for a flight sim.

The OS was on a cartridge. So old. So feeble. At least it was cheap compared to other computers at the time. I just remember wishing for an IBM AT with a math co-processor.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-IBM-PC-PCjr-Ver-2-10A-1984-5-25-Floppy-Disk/263250433255?_mwBanner=1

There's a version of river raid on a cartridge for the pcjr that I wish I had known about as a kid...

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

About a month in Florida from the date rent is late to sheriff executing writ of possession if landlord serves pay or quit immediately

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/78ix26/i_29m_found_out_the_full_extent_of_my_girlfriends/ posted:

I [29m] found out the full extent of my girlfriends [28f] financial issues and am wondering how bad this is and if I should run

I met this really cool girl and we’ve been together a few months and she always hinted that she isn’t great with money. The other day she let me look at her debt, I was shocked but didn’t really react and acted like I’m ok with it. She has just under $100k of debt across loans and credit cards.
She makes good money, about $100k per year, but this level of debt scares me. About $20k of it is car payments and student loans, the rest is credit card debt and loans she got to consolidate the credit card debt. Her minimum payments are close to $2500 per month...
I have no debt at all, and make about half as much as she does.
I know this isn’t a finance forum but, if you were dating someone and found out they have debt equal to one years income, how would you react?
Early in relationship she would shell put hundred of dollars on stuff like micro transactions in video games and wanted to go out to eat every night. I have been trying to teach her how to be better with money and she is very cooperate and listens to me when I say “don’t buy that” or “you should return that” so her cooperativeness is something that gives me hope she wouldn’t ruin our lives if we got married or something...
But I can’t reallt wrap my head around this level of debt, should I just run for the hills or try to make this work? She is great in every way and I’d say I love her a lot but, I’m a little thrown off by this debt discovery... $100k of debt with a $100k salary wouldn’t that take like 10 years to pay off?

$80k in credit card debt, no biggie.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
the debt itself is actually no biggie with a combined income of 150k but lol that's not the problem... cut and run dude, cut and run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Her financial position is much better than his, assuming good decisions going forward.