Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Discrimination against white people exists! I ain't seen it, but I know it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
When are white people going to do something about white on white crime instead of complain about discrimination against them?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Maybe an unpopular opinion here, but...

Almost by definition there's discrimination against every race, age, and sex on some level. Whether it comes from the federal or local government, industry, education, or other cultures is a whole different discussion. I feel like it's kind of obtuse to say white people aren't discriminated against at all and can't be.

But lol at the idea of there being any sort of systematic oppression/discrimination against white people.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Well yeah sure everyone faces discrimination in some existential sort of way but white ppl are going to the ER for a papercut

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
“Majority of* white people say they face discrimination!!!!”

*55% of 902

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

Ask Hershman whether there is discrimination against whites, and he answered even before this reporter could finish the question — with an emphatic "Absolutely."

"It's been going on for decades, and it's been getting worse for whites," Hershman contended, despite data showing whites continue to be better off financially and educationally than minority groups.

Even though Hershman believes he has been a victim of anti-white discrimination, he wasn't able to provide a specific example. He describes losing out on a promotion — and a younger African-American being selected as one of the finalists for the job. But the position eventually went to a white applicant, who was also younger than Hershman.
lol :fuckoff:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Joey Freshwater posted:

*55% of 902

that's the majority, and 55% of those 902 people are loving dumb idiots.

what's your point

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

*55% of 902

For a simple binary question, and without any other details, 902 respondents is a statistically valid sample.

e. a basic calculator says with a 95% confidence level, 902 respondents, and an (adult) US population of ~250,000,000, and a response of 55%, the confidence interval is 3.25.

So, 55% plus or minus 3.25, to a 95% confidence level. That's good enough to say very very confidently that a majority of white people say they face discrimination. Note that the answer is identical if you go with a population of 200,000,000, or basically any very large number, so if the survey was restricted to just white americans, or just white citizens, or just white likely voters, the result is the same.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 25, 2017

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also sample sizes don't need to be massive to be representative

Leperflesh posted:

For a simple binary question, and without any other details, 902 respondents is a statistically valid sample.

Yuuuup

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

*55% of 902

Not surprised they could find 453 morons to give them a clickbait answer. It's vice levels of journalism right there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The wording of it makes it sound like the majority of all white people thing they’ve been discriminated against, which is kind of the point I guess because they want page views. When you look at the numbers of it it loses its effect.

It’s a dumb article where they questioned dumb people and they got the exact reaction they wanted out of it, so good job everyone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's also worth noting that while sample size is not at all a problem here, there are several other likely sources of error. We have no idea exactly what methodology was used to identify white adult respondents: if the methodology was poor, the sample may not be representative. The only thing I'm discussing here is whether, on its face, the survey had too few respondents to be valid: and that is not the case, 900 is plenty.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

I WAS TOLD BY APPLECARE

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I generally buy vacant or abandoned houses and either restore them, or make them livable for resale depending on market viability. If it doesn't sell right away, I will put it up for rent. I typically don't care if I make a huge profit, though sometimes that happens anyway. It's just something that I enjoy doing. I don't live on the coast though, so there's more of a surplus of vacant houses than in coastal cities

Can you come out west and buy the two abandoned lots on my street? They were built in the 70s and while some are roughly the same others are super different. Even the cookie cutter ones have weird differences like bathrooms in random spots in the house or rooms subtly larger or smaller than other houses. You go into one house and everything similar but different. They have pretty big lots and I hate to see them languish when these lovely paper boxes go up for 250K with no yard and garbage layouts

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

White people elected Trump.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is one of the most trustworthy sources of methodology in the United States

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Joey Freshwater posted:

The wording of it makes it sound like the majority of all white people thing they’ve been discriminated against, which is kind of the point I guess because they want page views. When you look at the numbers of it it loses its effect.

It’s a dumb article where they questioned dumb people and they got the exact reaction they wanted out of it, so good job everyone.

A majority means greater than 50%, but yes you hit the nail on the head: they did not survey every white adult, child and baby in America ..so it’s a bad survey. loving surveys!!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yes and no. The census is still showing a net loss, mainly due to the majority of the population being quite old, but the loss number is in the hundreds per year. Pittsburgh lost +300k jobs between '79-'90, and Pgh metro lost half of it's peak population from 2 to 1 million residents. The city was really lucky to have a mayor that saw it coming though, and before he died he laid out a framework for recovery that came to fruition in the aughts, now Pittsburgh is the only Rust Belt city so far to have recovered both economically and environmentally. The economy is built on biotech, medicine, higher learning, research, and banking. You see more and more young people around town now than when I was growing up, but as far as gaining population, that hasn't happened in big numbers.
I'm kind of tired of hearing how we are the most livable city and on the up and up for 10 years straight despite things not really improving at all for most people living here especially African Americans who have been hosed by the way this city was designed; it is one of the most segregated cities in North America (now granted it has a lot to do with its age and topography).

I'm glad the dumbass yinzers are crying about how Amazon is going to build there awful HQ here (because what this city needs is another UBER, Google, UPMC to gently caress us over and cause the rents to skyrocket) because of that Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown special that most people thought was just going to be an hour about fellated how hip and cool Pittsburgh was and how cool the food was. Instead he went to Braddock and hung out with Sala Udin who showed him that the city displaced 8,000 African Americans to build the Civic Arena.

Sad that he didn't look into how we are having a Flint level water crisis going on that no one is talking about (since our technocrat Mayor thinks bringing in a guy who worked with Regean in privatizing public services will clearly solve the problem that was caused by a private company getting involved in working with our water supply)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha you know what you guys are right gently caress whitey kill all white people I’m totally on board now hive mind gooooooo

Jesus Christ this is stupid

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm white, AMA.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/922891065434058752

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

Haha you know what you guys are right gently caress whitey kill all white people I’m totally on board now hive mind gooooooo

Jesus Christ this is stupid

Look man, if we are gonna fix poo poo in this country, we are gonna have to have a bit of inward inflection and realize that us white people as a whole are really loving things up.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
man there's nothing wrong with not getting how surveys work and samples and all that, we all have these weird gaps in our knowledge, I just learned a few months ago why the Minnesota Twins are named the Twins and I even lived there for a year. Let's be friends and help each other learn and grow and gain

All cultures worldwide have racism in them, some with very terrible results. we just happen to focus on America in this thread because most of us live here

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Look man, if we are gonna fix poo poo in this country, we are gonna have to have a bit of inward inflection and realize that us white people as a whole are really loving things up.

Please show me where I said anything close to the opposite? All I said was that it was a dumb article that makes it sound like the majority of (all) white people say they have faced discrimination. It’s clickbait bullshit. Yes I realize that there are some really lovely white people but guess what! Not everyone, or even the majority is like that. The vocal majority absolutely are.

But once the piling on starts there’s no stopping it so I’ll let it go.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

man there's nothing wrong with not getting how surveys work and samples and all that

I also fully understand how surveys work I was saying it was a stupid survey you pedantic rear end in a top hat.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Can you come out west and buy the two abandoned lots on my street? They were built in the 70s and while some are roughly the same others are super different. Even the cookie cutter ones have weird differences like bathrooms in random spots in the house or rooms subtly larger or smaller than other houses. You go into one house and everything similar but different. They have pretty big lots and I hate to see them languish when these lovely paper boxes go up for 250K with no yard and garbage layouts

I wish I could do it everywhere, friend

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm kind of tired of hearing how we are the most livable city and on the up and up for 10 years straight despite things not really improving at all for most people living here especially African Americans who have been hosed by the way this city was designed; it is one of the most segregated cities in North America (now granted it has a lot to do with its age and topography).

I'm glad the dumbass yinzers are crying about how Amazon is going to build there awful HQ here (because what this city needs is another UBER, Google, UPMC to gently caress us over and cause the rents to skyrocket) because of that Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown special that most people thought was just going to be an hour about fellated how hip and cool Pittsburgh was and how cool the food was. Instead he went to Braddock and hung out with Sala Udin who showed him that the city displaced 8,000 African Americans to build the Civic Arena.

Sad that he didn't look into how we are having a Flint level water crisis going on that no one is talking about (since our technocrat Mayor thinks bringing in a guy who worked with Regean in privatizing public services will clearly solve the problem that was caused by a private company getting involved in working with our water supply)

The lead plumbing issue is not just Flint or Pittsburgh, it's every city east of the Mississippi. I don't know what the solution to mitigating it is, but until someone creative comes along and figures out how to simultaneously lure business back east while simultaneously fixing infrastructure without putting the burden on either property taxes or the hypothetical businesses that you're trying to entice, it's going to continue to be capital budget projects, not a real infrastructure program.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
It's not really a dumb article, if you read it it says a lot of good stuff about white people later on like how 80% believe colored people face discrimination, etc. Yeah the title is clickbaity but NPR needs money

I wasn't being pedantic, I am a nice guy, you said that the survey sucks because it only interviewed 900 people (it's like 3,500 total people actually) but that's how sampling works

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Joey Freshwater posted:

Please show me where I said anything close to the opposite? All I said was that it was a dumb article that makes it sound like the majority of (all) white people say they have faced discrimination. It’s clickbait bullshit. Yes I realize that there are some really lovely white people but guess what! Not everyone, or even the majority is like that. The vocal majority absolutely are.

But once the piling on starts there’s no stopping it so I’ll let it go.

I also fully understand how surveys work I was saying it was a stupid survey you pedantic rear end in a top hat.

The survey was run jointly with one of the most respected institutions in research, lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah the title is clickbaity but NPR needs money

That's not an excuse and its not how you atart a constructive discourse.

People keep triggering the backfire effect seemingly deliberately and then act incredulous that it happens.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Probably Magic posted:

I'm white, AMA.
What's the SPF level of sunblock you use

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Eli Wiggum posted:

What's the SPF level of sunblock you use

Why would I ever expose myself to the deadly rays of the sun. That's what houses are for, idiot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Probably Magic posted:

Why would I ever expose myself to the deadly rays of the sun. That's what houses are for, idiot.

how many houses do you own

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
As a man of Asian decent, it aint like we could do better.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ehud posted:

how many houses do you own

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Owning a house is weird. I've been in this house for 3 months and at least once a day I think about how I could just put a sledgehammer through a wall if I wanted to.

Maybe that's just me.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

2 things:

1. i feel the same way about Minneapolis/Minnesota being touted as a progressive bastion because they like bike lanes and haven’t voted red since Nixon. this place has the highest equality gap in the country and no one wants to talk about because Minnesota Nice deems the conversation inappropriate.

2. more segregated than Milwaukee???

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Owning a house is weird. I've been in this house for 3 months and at least once a day I think about how I could just put a sledgehammer through a wall if I wanted to.

Maybe that's just me.

It's not

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Maybe that's just me.

I'm about to do my final interview to be hired as a pig- someone near you- and I have that same thought about civilians on the reg. :cop: #ACAB All Chiche Are Bastards

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Related:
"The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated"
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-diverse-cities-are-often-the-most-segregated/

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBViC-fEdm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDsnJH30fs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Every city is segregated

• Locked thread