Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Blake ate Rudy for dinner and didn’t leave any leftovers, that’s what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

What does it mean to have to drain fluid from your shoulder? I’m obviously not a doctor but I’ve never really heard of a sports injury like whatever this is. Is it just inflammation byproduct that has to be removed or something?

You can get an inflamed joint full of fluid in response to arthritis, an infection or, more likely in an athlete, bursitis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursitis

If you want to move the joint, you have to drain the fluid, or it's very painful. Since bursititis can be a very stubborn condition, (check a timeline of Blake Griffin's nasty elbow) it makes sense that his agent would retract his statement and claim something that may also be true, getting an anti inflammatory cortisone injection

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 25, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Pacers simply didn't miss anything and we couldn't buy a bucket :( Those numbers don't even happen in shoot-arounds, gahtdamn. I also would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Thibs gave bazzy the start so I could fly down his throat and maybe keep him from saying "bazzy you're starting"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look I'm not saying I believe in it but if you had to pick a city in America most associated with voodoo curses

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Chicago AAU kid, word to Jabari and Rose.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

uhh..."bumped knees"? Seems like that should be an understatement.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It seems like the league is still improving because the Bulls did well tonight and still lost. Bulls hit 17 threes at 51.5% and had less than ten TOVs. Teams were 35-2 in NBA history that'd done so.

"It starts with management." No, it starts with ownership. Reinsdorf could fire GarPax into the sun tomorrow lickety-split. The very long article doesn't even mention his name.

zoux posted:

Remember last year at this point when the Bulls were killing it and people were unironically saying Three Alphas!

I hope everyone here was joking about that.

xbilkis posted:

I get the strong feeling Dwyane Wade is more acutely aware of the fact he's washed up than the average former star player.

Definitely compared to Kobe at least.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If there's one thing we don't have enough of in the NBA thread, it's bulls fans complaining about the Bulls, so here's a wistful article about how the Bulls went from a 1-seed with the youngest MVP in history to whatever the gently caress this is:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21082183/story-chicago-bulls-downfall

:smith:

quote:

"We had 60-win seasons," Noah says. "We would go into summers, like, really believing that we could win a championship. That's rare. ... So yeah, I miss that grind with those guys, believing that we had a shot of winning a championship. That was the best. Believing that you can win a championship is the best."

also, lmao on Hoiberg on the Portis Punch

quote:

"I've been a part of this thing as a player," Hoiberg says. "I've seen altercations happen every year, every week, every month. You see things that happen on the floor. When's the right time to step in? I saw it on the best teams I played on where you had that competitive spirit; you have to have it if you're going to have any chance at all. So sure, looking back on it, would we have handled the situation differently? Maybe. I don't know."

sure, maybe in hindsight i would have handled it differently, when a player punches another guy halfway through the floor while i sit around and yell hey hey hey hey fellas, is that would bill murray would do in the movie meatballs?

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 25, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

R.D. Mangles posted:

also, lmao on Hoiberg on the Portis Punch

I understand that in the whole scope of players turned coaches in college or pro that Hoiberg is a success story. He did well in college and he got a good contract.

But everytime I see a quote from him all I can think is what a loving loser.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 25, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lauri Markkanen does look good. Unfortunately not as good as LBJ. :rip: 2018 Bulls.

Libertine posted:

It's very strange. I watched Bucks/Cavs on Friday, and announcers just have no idea how to talk about Giannis. He's very clearly one of the absolute best players in the NBA and if any more veteran player were putting up his numbers right now it would be automatic MVP discussion. It seems like everyone is really hesitant to declare him that good even though he was all-NBA last year and his lines are even better this year.

I mean look at his loving stats they are insane. He's avg 33/10/5/2/2 on 63% shooting in his first 4 games. That's absolutely nuts.

The NBA isn't going to give the award out until way after the finals AFAIK so they probably don't think there's much need to crown him before All Hallows' Evening.

Libertine posted:

It should be permanent because Love has never been a Center and while his game has a ton of strengths, none of them are particularly suited to what an NBA team needs a Center to do.

BBR says that he's basically played ~40% of his NBA minutes as a C.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Part of being the best rim protector in the league is contesting everything and getting dunked on a fair amount I still love you, Rudy

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I haven't seen Dirk play this year. I wonder if he's done. -.3 WS in 100 minutes.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Man this guy is just trying to do Luol Deng's career arc 10 years early I think.

If he does hopefully someone gets a photo of him in a hospital bed like that classic Deng one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

people are going to forget how good luol deng was before the bulls destroyed him, and that sucks.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dejan Bimble posted:

You can get an inflamed joint full of fluid in response to arthritis, an infection or, more likely in an athlete, bursitis

Thanks for the quality explanation.

Zogo posted:

BBR says that he's basically played ~40% of his NBA minutes as a C.

I feel like the Cavs don’t have a traditional C on their roster this year. Love is a stretch 4 who also happens to be one of the best rebounders in the league. You can play him at C if he doesn’t have to guard a bigger dude but he gets absolutely bodied on defense by anyone who is. And he also can in no way anchor a post defense allowing weaker perimeter defenders to channel.

There’s a lot of teams who can and will expose those weaknesses if they are going to run that lineup heavily featuring him at Center. I imagine that was the reason for the adjustment tonight given the size and skill of the Bulls front court.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Clippers might not be just fun, but also good

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Zogo posted:

I haven't seen Dirk play this year. I wonder if he's done. -.3 WS in 100 minutes.

He's partially cooked and entirely miscast the way the team is constructed. Barnes works best at the 4 and there's an organized conspiracy against playing Noel so he's playing a lot of center, which he should absolutely not be doing. He double should not be doing it in a lineup with Dwight Powell. He should really be coming off the bench as an old guy pnr tandem with JJ Barea.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ignoring the existence of Giannis, Blake looks like he could be in the MVP discussion

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dutchy posted:

He's partially cooked and entirely miscast the way the team is constructed. Barnes works best at the 4 and there's an organized conspiracy against playing Noel so he's playing a lot of center, which he should absolutely not be doing. He double should not be doing it in a lineup with Dwight Powell. He should really be coming off the bench as an old guy pnr tandem with JJ Barea.

I think a lot of his misses look like he is just missing his shot. It kind of looks like when he would come back from injuries in the past. Agree with basically everything else you said. Anytime Dirk and Dwight play at the same time is not fun to watch.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

"What is happening​ around here? Are Bulls just dropping from the sky?"

https://twitter.com/nypostsports/status/923036439293685760

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

noooooooooooooooooooo

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I think a lot of his misses look like he is just missing his shot. It kind of looks like when he would come back from injuries in the past. Agree with basically everything else you said. Anytime Dirk and Dwight play at the same time is not fun to watch.

The thing to me is he's just really, really old. I think the catch and shoot stuff will start going down but the classic Dirk stuff looks pretty ugly and I worry that his legs are just finally too gone for that kind of thing. But maybe he'll shake it off.

Not that I'm complaining, because Dirk is my favorite ever and he can happily brick fadeaways till he's 90 for all I care, but I think the team needs to reassess the front court rotation, and if they're trying to make the playoffs that should probably mean less Dirk. He's just too much of a liability on the glass and defense at center at this stage. Give Dirk's center minutes to Noel, give Powell's PF minutes to Dirk.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was never a fan the Pistons signing you, but I hope you get better, Ben :smith:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I was never a fan the Pistons signing you, but I hope you get better, Ben :smith:

Yeah between this and the fire alarms he obviously needs some help.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Is this the year that Dragon Ball is officially in the NBA culture? I thought Caleb Swanigans one chunk of hair hanging down looked familiar, went to his twitter page and sure enough, this is his profile picture

De’aaron Fox’s profile picture

This Lonzo Ball tweet

https://twitter.com/zo2_/status/921610486847700992

I’m here for all of it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lol, I really hope this is a thing

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh hey, Blazer announcers are still terrible:

https://twitter.com/Drew_Narmour/status/923040084911427585

e: i'm assuming that's the Blazer announcers; don't know for sure

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yeah Kevin Calabro is garbage, Lamar Hurd is whatever, but Calabro is always saying dumb/corny poo poo and getting players’ names mixed up. I know people hate homers, but I really miss Mike & Mike.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

NickRoweFillea posted:

Embiid: Me
Simmons: Tae typing names out

drat

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Breathe easy Kibner

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/923060428464443392

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Man it was not too long ago that Cuban bragged about how good the org treated the players and how Monta was going to retire there or some poo poo and Chandler was happy to be home. Was it all just talk???

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

zelah posted:

Yeah Kevin Calabro is garbage, Lamar Hurd is whatever, but Calabro is always saying dumb/corny poo poo and getting players’ names mixed up. I know people hate homers, but I really miss Mike & Mike.

You're loving insane.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WhyteRyce posted:

Man it was not too long ago that Cuban bragged about how good the org treated the players and how Monta was going to retire there or some poo poo and Chandler was happy to be home. Was it all just talk???

Failed DeAndre Jordan pursuit basically forced Chandler out. Cuban almost colluded successfully, he just didn't realize he could get locked out of DJ's house. I can understand why Chandler wouldn't like Cuban, he got pushed out the door twice in two separate failed collusion schemes.

Monta leaving was apparently half a side effect of the failed DJ pursuit/getting Matthews as part of the package and half because Rondo constantly reminded him how much more Parsons was making than him.

The Noel thing is crazy. Assuming they did offer him the contract that was reported. If they are taking it out on him via limited minutes and this isn't part of a tanking strategy, that's awful. It's going to be sad when they push him out the door in their future failed attempt to sign Boogie.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 25, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

They're great with people who fit in with their culture and absolute garbage to everyone else.

SPeaking of garbage, the Suns are a heavy subject of the latest Open Floor podcast. I'd suggest whoever it was who had problems with some of the things I've been saying about the Suns over the years (that I've been 100% right about) should probably avoid it but anyone who just wants to hear a true summary of what is wrong with the organization over the past four or five years and how ridiculous McDonnough's comments about Bledsoe were should check it out.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Rick posted:

They're great with people who fit in with their culture and absolute garbage to everyone else.

SPeaking of garbage, the Suns are a heavy subject of the latest Open Floor podcast. I'd suggest whoever it was who had problems with some of the things I've been saying about the Suns over the years (that I've been 100% right about) should probably avoid it but anyone who just wants to hear a true summary of what is wrong with the organization over the past four or five years and how ridiculous McDonnough's comments about Bledsoe were should check it out.

Listened to Open Floor and Ringer NBA show back to back and found it a bit incongruous how badly Sharp and Golliver were making GBS threads on Ryan McDonough for being a bad GM and making GBS threads on players when they're on the way out/have been traded while Vernon and O'Connor were praising his moves and thought he was an ok guy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Like I think some of the moves are defensible in a vacuum, and like I'm not as down on the Suns' young players (except Bender) as Golliver (who really doesn't understand the dynamics of how young players play in the NBA despite being a major stat guy and summer league watcher somehow) but it's just so much gently caress up over now what is a pretty prolonged period of time. And you could argue it all stems from Lon Babby before that who basically pushed the Suns into the bad times with that awful conflict-of-interest Hedo trade and the attempt to low ball Nash into leaving (although that did end up in the Lakers trade which was obviously a good trade, although ultimately not for the Suns). I think Sarver needs to sell the team, and really, Suns fans should be on board with this since he's starting to grumble about moving the team.

E: and like I may not like the Suns, but I want them to be good. They're the local market team for me (at least in name, even though Sarver doesn't give a gently caress about Tucson) so I see them play 2-3 times a week so I want the basketball to be of quality. I actually agree they need a new arena. And I really do think that it's something that can be done. If there's one thing the city of Phoenix loves to do it's to gently caress up downtown for construction for years and to pass the expense on to taxpayers, it's only a matter of time until it's the Suns' turn for that to be done on their behalf and there's no point to play hardball to get it to happen.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 25, 2017

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Jaylen Brown for most improved player?

Holy moley he's looked good this year. Same for Taytum. If Hayward fully recovers this team is going to be beastly next year.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
How is Lon Babby formed lol

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

"What is happening​ around here? Are Bulls just dropping from the sky?"

https://twitter.com/nypostsports/status/923036439293685760

At least the police didnt fuckign shoot him

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

mark cuban is a billionaire tech bro. Of course he doesn't treat his employees well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the lonzo song isn't that bad but only because triplet heavy fake trap doesn't really require much flow or lyricism

• Locked thread