Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

This is loving poo poo I hate this from the beginning to today why why why god why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Nenonen posted:

Vegetarianism is just a joke and a fad
- a little school girl

- an old redneck cartoonist

I had cake and ice cream growing up, and I was raised vegetarian. What a loving tortured joke.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Perfect

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

I was so distracted by what a lovely Mario that was, that I didn't even notice.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 16, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 16, 1996)

Garfield Classic (March 16, 1986)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Next on Intelligent Life: Skip goes around punching everyone who even glances at Gwen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pfft. A real nerd would have put the harrasser to shame with a well-placed one-liner he didn't get.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weird, I thought Dilbert was supposed to be Scott Adams' self-insert character

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Looks like GoComics stopped updating Nancy Classic.

Dustin

Mandrake

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The...Clay..Camel?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

I know it was just a setup for the "think positive/I'm positive I can't!" punchline, but still. Who says "think positive" when somebody tells them they can't do something without asking, "why can't you?" There's any number of reasons why a highly allergic and frequently ill child with an (over?)protective mother might not be able to do certain activities that have nothing to do with timing problems.

Future teacher and champion of the children Luann is bad at listening and will probably get this kid killed is what I'm saying.

"Hey everyone, let's band together and put on our own production of Wizard of Oz to make this one girl happy!"

Calling it right now. It's lazy storytelling, requires the creation of zero new characters, ignores logistics, and gets everyone into a costume in time for Halloween.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

This literally made me feel nauseated.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sexual activity is a reward for correct behavior :biotruths:

Try a good strip. Try

the bus

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 20, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 6, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 2, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 2, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Barney Google (April 5, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 5, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 1, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 14, 1933)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man Can't Have Nice Things

Nancy

At no point does anyone go 'why is this small child living by himself?'.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Kennel posted:

gently caress

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

Mother From Another Country

Ha, he even has the same bald spot.

The kid "starts talking like a drunk sailor" but what we see is "foreigner." Is there a particularly derogatory term for "foreigner" in Korean? We see the term come up a lot in MFAC of course and I'm kind of curious how Korean words for "foreigner" compare to like gweilo and gaijin.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Kennel posted:

dismas posted:

gently caress

I could probably take over posting duties for classic Nancy again if the well's run dry. I'll need a week or two to get some scans together, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fats Domino, Gilchrist, brace yourselves, etc.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
There is a comic posted on the Nancy Classics GoComics page with today's date on it. Maybe it was just a problem with GoComics not updating its site?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Peanuts 1963:
(Not an edit)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mark is a really annoying hostage.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Vargo posted:

Reminder that I'm going out of town this week, would appreciate it if someone picked up my posting until Saturday!
I can't promise to get these every day, but I was curious what happens with Curtis so I got today's.

BC

Phoebe

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

How many days of this "this woman who is exactly like Doris is walking around, but IT CAN'T BE HER because I was supposed to be told when she got out of jail" bullshit are we going to sit through? I know it's a serial drama strip, but jeez.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Not to beat a dead horse but that Luann story sucked poo poo. There was some forced character development and nothing happened to anyone.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

...and the pitch! posted:

Not to beat a dead horse but that Luann story sucked poo poo. There was some forced character development and nothing happened to anyone.

Luann.txt.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Aardmania posted:

There is a comic posted on the Nancy Classics GoComics page with today's date on it. Maybe it was just a problem with GoComics not updating its site?

Ah, once again complaining magically fixed everything.

The strips we missed:

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

"... and then I took her to my bedroom where I showed her my action figure collection and racecar bed. She said I was the coolest guy ever and not a lame nerd like Billy Dorso said, who she heard has a tiny pee-pee."
By David Reddick, age 14

I am surprised by the sheer number of pumpkin spice "jokes" being made. I mean, I take the blame, I freaking love that stuff, but even as an insatiable consumer of it, the fad seems to have died out a few years ago.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Today's Peanuts from the archives: May-June 1951:

CB fighting back is the kind of thing you just don't see after 1960 or so which is too bad.

See also: Being a dick for the sake of being a dick.

See also, also: Reacting with anger rather than exasperation or going into a spiral of depression.

Admit it. You've all done this.

First appearance of Shroeder. If you don't recognize the name he's the blonde kid who plays the piano all the time. He's basically the best character in the strip. He's also one of at least four characters that's introduced as a toddler but ends up at or near Charlie Brown's age. It's super weird.

A fun game is to take everything you read at face value and try to form an explanation for all the weird poo poo in the Peanuts universe. I mean, yeah the real answer is "Something something magical realism+Schulz realized that no one gave a poo poo about continuity in a newspaper strip", but where's the fun in that?

My current working theory is that the town CB lives in is actually a Galt's Gulch style commune of scientists who have secluded themselves from society in an attempt to perfect the human race. The results of their experiments were in many ways successful, but they never figured out how to get the kids to age past 8 or so. CB, naturally, was dropped while still in the test tube so he's bald and kind of sucks at everything.

LOL! Sure he will Violet. Sure he will... :gay:

Uh, Charlie Brown your dog understands social cues and etiquette and it's freaking me out a little.

Peanuts confirmed to take place in Derry, MN.

Another neat thing about this era is that Patty/Violet's relationship with CB is more hot/cold rather than simply hostile. I feel like this gives them a bit of depth that they lack later on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There’s a Halloween strip where Chuck is carving a pumpkin and Lucy comes up and makes a joke, I forget exactly, about his head being as big as the pumpkin and the punchline to the strip was perfection if someone could find it

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

This strip is very cute. I like the way the cats refer to their owners simply as "the People." Also the black one is basically a void with eyes, a visual gimmick I've always liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

• Locked thread