Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We don't have the stats from the ESPN year 2015, but MFL tracks stuff otherwise:
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/options?L=79286&O=156
and yes, 1017 has busted the high score on there.

Bear in mind it's not apples:apples, because we're starting an additional player every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
week 8 is stupid

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
trump can eat a dick I should get at least a few title bumps for being on teh internets since I was 14 and I am now much older than 14

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Hey everyone, this guy's a Trump supporter!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What did Trump do now? Did he declare a law that you can't use the internet till you are 18 or something?

I can't figure out that message at all :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think VECNA is complaining about the new "stupid newbie" default avatar.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh. I have all that turned off. No wonder I was confused.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Bravo Ash... 5 out of 12 teams have $32 or less to bid on OBJ.

Well done, I cant even be mad. That's a great move.

That being said, I'm going to be bundling players and picks to grab some higher-priced big names this year.

If anyone is going to drop another big name like this, please let me know first!

Edit: Ash did you actually mean to drop OBJ? Or did you mean to IR him? That screen allows you to drop instead of IR which is what you did.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 26, 2017

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Bravo Ash... 5 out of 12 teams have $32 or less to bid on OBJ.

Well done, I cant even be mad. That's a great move.

That being said, I'm going to be bundling players and picks to grab some higher-priced big names this year.

If anyone is going to drop another big name like this, please let me know first!

Edit: Ash did you actually mean to drop OBJ? Or did you mean to IR him? That screen allows you to drop instead of IR which is what you did.

Definitely meant to drop him, I was going to try and sneak him through until you blew up my spot!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
My bad. Just hope Vecna doesn't notice he has $70 and plenty of cap space!

I am not sure OBJ will go for less than the $58 he was currently at.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Speaking of which -- trading FAAB; should it be allowed? I'm in a dynasty league where you can trade it, makes things interesting because you can value it relative to picks, and I believe it's possible natively in MFL.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hadn't considered it. Huh.

I'll have to think about the ramifications. I assume FAAB would either drop in value as the season progresses (because some owners don't need their remainder for whatever reason and thus can trade it away cheaply) or rise in value (because some owners run out and then need more in order to bid on Odell Beckham, Jr.) but then, some owners never seem to trade, while others do so very frequently.

As an aside, and I don't want to be an rear end about it, but:

Leperflesh posted:

2. I just noticed that it seems Grid Iron Chefs traded a 4th round pick to Straight Bass Homie at some point, but I do not have recorded 2018 dues from the Chefs (that's Chen Kenichi).

Chen, can you verify, and if that's the case, per our rules, you'll need to pony up $30.83 for next year's dues.

Chen Kenichi, I need cash from you, or I guess you could trade away that pick, but really our rules say this trade shouldn't have been permitted without you paying up. It's to ensure owners don't trade away picks they have no intention of using because they're going to quit over the summer. If you pay for a future year and then later have to quit, once we find a replacement to take over your team, the dues are fully refunded, so think of it more of a deposit than actually spent money.

And we can revisit that rule if anyone objects to it.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I hadn't considered it. Huh.

I'll have to think about the ramifications. I assume FAAB would either drop in value as the season progresses (because some owners don't need their remainder for whatever reason and thus can trade it away cheaply) or rise in value (because some owners run out and then need more in order to bid on Odell Beckham, Jr.) but then, some owners never seem to trade, while others do so very frequently.

At also partly depends on whether FAAB and the offseason free agent auction are linked -- if they are, people are going to burn through more FAAB it seems, as there are likely to be some expensive players dropped every offseason.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We used our season FAAB for the free agent auction this year, right? I certainly think they should be linked, otherwise there's no incentive not to spend 100% of whatever budget you have, during the free agent auction, aside from your salary cap. Even on players you have no intention of keeping.

One could make an argument that the total budget should be increased to account for this additional spending opportunity, though?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

We used our season FAAB for the free agent auction this year, right? I certainly think they should be linked, otherwise there's no incentive not to spend 100% of whatever budget you have, during the free agent auction, aside from your salary cap. Even on players you have no intention of keeping.

One could make an argument that the total budget should be increased to account for this additional spending opportunity, though?

We did do that this year; and I agree, I was just saying as I'm not sure if the doc says definitively one way or the other.

Spermy told me that in the past, the FAAB dollars have never been completely spent. Adding more pressure to dollars doesn't seem like a bad thing? We're on week 8 and only 4 teams have more than $50 left. With a $250 cap, $100 is 40% of your annual salary cap. That seems like plenty of FAAB.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's fair, although as someone who is running low, I wouldn't have minded a bit more! I've had to stream some players, though, and it turns out I over-spent on Lamar Miller.

Honestly though I think a lot of the values and portions we kind of randomly guessed at have turned out to work quite well.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that's fair, although as someone who is running low, I wouldn't have minded a bit more! I've had to stream some players, though, and it turns out I over-spent on Lamar Miller.

Honestly though I think a lot of the values and portions we kind of randomly guessed at have turned out to work quite well.

I have been most active (21 adds between FA and waivers), and have exactly $50 left after overspending by ~$8 on Jones.
FDS has 18, you have 11 total adds, SBH has 10, BOF 5, chefs 18, TM 12, LIW 9, MC 8, Ash 8, 1017 8, garb 4.

Streaming actively should trade off with making fewer but high impact adds. If you spend $20 on adding 2 QBs and $10 on adding 2 backup RBs, that should hurt your ability to stream $1 replacement players.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
OBJ went for $10 less than I was expecting. 50 is a 2 year steal for him. 45 is amazing.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
changed my bid from 43 to 46 right before I went to bed.. something in my head kept telling me 46. bam!

therealVECNAmfers fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 28, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well I'm glad the winner isn't in my division but still, wow, huh? I guess maybe Swarmin Swedes trading him away would have been a better thing to do?

If I'd had the spare FAAB dollars I'd have bid $50+ for him. And I'd have easily traded some significant value off my roster for him, too.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

therealVECNAmfers posted:

changed my bid from 43 to 46 right before I went to bed.. something in my head kept telling me 46. bam!

I switched from 46 to 44. poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's actually amazing that the top three bidders all came up with such close valuations for him. It sucks to miss your guy, but hey: at least it means you were pretty solid at figuring out what he's worth, eh?

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
I bid $42 because that was all I had! I would have bid 50 possibly more if I had the FA$.

Leperflesh posted:

Chen Kenichi, I need cash from you, or I guess you could trade away that pick, but really our rules say this trade shouldn't have been permitted without you paying up. It's to ensure owners don't trade away picks they have no intention of using because they're going to quit over the summer. If you pay for a future year and then later have to quit, once we find a replacement to take over your team, the dues are fully refunded, so think of it more of a deposit than actually spent money.

And we can revisit that rule if anyone objects to it.

Responding to say I just read it and am on it.

Edit: Uhhh you mean Concordes?

STRAIGHT BASS HOMIE gave up Kuechly, Luke CAR LB; Year 2017 Draft Pick 2.01;Year 2017 Draft Pick 3.03
Concord Concordes gave up Bridgewater, Teddy MIN QB;Fiedorowicz, C.J. HOU TE;Timmons, Lawrence MIA LB; Year 2017 Draft Pick 1.05; Year 2018 Round 4 Draft Pick from Concord Concordes

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 29, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ohhhh, OK - yeah I have a 2nd round pick from you, but it was originally from Who da Titoons, so it shows up as such. And your third round pick you sent me came from Brick Squad. It gets confusing! Lol I was looking at 2017 there

I think I just failed to record the transaction you quoted, at all.

I'll double check my spreadsheet, but MFL has the correct situation so if there's an error, it's on my sheet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder if this is an issue

I will probably go ahead and do what the message says, but I want to fully understand what that thing does. Maybe it'll stop MFL from showing 2017 picks available to trade, which it is still doing for whatever reason?

e. It was super straightforward, when I clicked through it just said we had no future picks to import and I should delete untraded 2017 picks, so I did that. I think it worked but let me know if anyone sees anything weird when looking at proposing/reviewing/accepting/rejecting pick trades.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I started all the wrong guys, especially smith over watson, ugh.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I started all the wrong guys, especially smith over watson, ugh.

Watson had his first real challenge. And he made Earl Thomas his bitch. Twice.

This kid might have something there...

Edit: Forgot about the 80yd int by Thomas...

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 30, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Well, guess I can drop all my receivers other than JuJu.

He almost Hopkins'd.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
That leg injury of Zach Miller was pretty nasty.. they should've given him the TD on that one.. anybody would've let go of the football at the end of the play after catching it like he did

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Well now that I'm almost certainly eliminated from the playoffs it's exactly the right time for my team to put up gobs of points every week

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I figured Smith was a safer play than Watson this week, and boy howdy was I wrong. Also I have no idea why Denver decided to completely avoid Terrence Mitchell and go after throwing picks to the veterans, but I guess that's what happened because Mitchell didn't get so much as a single assist.

The amazing thing is that going 4-4 still only puts me one game behind the division leaders. It's been a weird year so far.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm glad I didn't trade Russell Wilson like i was thinking of doing in the off-season

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We gotta fix the taxi squad rules.

I had Kenyan Drake on my taxi last year but had to drop him since we can only hold for a year.

Also the bid I had in on saturday for Jimmy G before the trade happened. Ugh.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We're going to update our rules.

quote:

3.2.1 Players who are designated as Out (officially, by the NFL, as reflected in MFL's status designations) or on the NFL Injured Reserve list may be placed into one of a team’s two Injured Reserve slots. The software will enforce this restriction.

3.2.2 When a player is no longer Out or on IR, the software does not automatically move them back to your bench. You must do this manually. The software will not permit you to make any other roster moves until you resolve the situation. You may not avoid busting your salary cap by leaving an ineligible player in an IR slot.

Not naming any names Brick Squad but someone Brick Squad was in an IR violation during waivers. Our rules currently say that no roster changes can happen when you Brick Squad are on an IR violation.

But clearly the software does not know about this.

So we're just going to change the wording to something like "Waivers will process normally, but you Brick Squad cannot make lineup or other roster changes until you fix your poo poo."

Not a huge deal this time since no one bid on the player Brick Squad got, but it's something that could be argued against (successfully in my opinon) if two owners bid on the same player and one is in an IR violation.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

We gotta fix the taxi squad rules.

I had Kenyan Drake on my taxi last year but had to drop him since we can only hold for a year.

Also the bid I had in on saturday for Jimmy G before the trade happened. Ugh.

Can we talk about taxi squad rules (for updating them in '18)?

Here are the two things I'd like to see:
1) Enabling 'holding' players on taxi squad after rookie year (can't be added to TS, but could still be held for 1-2 additional years. May need to expand TS to make this work, but may be fine keeping it at 3 and making people choose)
2) Stealing players has a cost to the stealer.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

We're going to update our rules.

Not naming any names Brick Squad but someone Brick Squad was in an IR violation during waivers. Our rules currently say that no roster changes can happen when you Brick Squad are on an IR violation.

But clearly the software does not know about this.

So we're just going to change the wording to something like "Waivers will process normally, but you Brick Squad cannot make lineup or other roster changes until you fix your poo poo."

Not a huge deal this time since no one bid on the player Brick Squad got, but it's something that could be argued against (successfully in my opinon) if two owners bid on the same player and one is in an IR violation.

I honestly didn't realize Bradford's status had changed because he's definitely still out in real life. I got an error message about the violation yesterday when I went to put a claim in for Saturday.

Is there a way to see when his status was changed and whether that was before or after waivers processed? Pretty sure he was still "Out" when I put that claim in. I cut him yesterday anyways.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That's why I dropped him.

He's out on gameday, then immediately (Monday morning) questionable for the entire week until next gameday.

It's not a big deal, no harm done, I was just messing around by calling you out on it. Rules will be updated for next week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think what's going on here is that MFL sucks. I mean it's amazing, right? The sheer amount of functionality delivered is amazing. But once again, MFL does not give us the capability of warning the owner as soon as an IR violation starts happening. You can see the violation in the UI if you happen to look at your roster, and it will tell you when you create an add/drop if you're in IR violation, but it does not warn you if you create an add/drop, and then before it gets processed, a player on IR stops being eligible.

The other aspect here is the NFL loving us. It's stupid as gently caress that teams can flip-flop between Questionable and Out on a weekly basis, just to try and psych out their upcoming matches or some poo poo like that. Come on, why aren't they thinking about the fantasy football implications???

To answer your question, Stevie Lee, I'm not aware of a way to see in MFL when a player's status changes. I do believe that the NFL has specific windows for when teams are supposed to report player status, but those seem to be pretty broad; a player can probably be declared Out at any time, but a player declared Questionable can practice in full all week and be a game-time decision and then get set to Out like one hour before gametime? The team has to report their eligible-to-play players at some point before the game, and Out players don't count towards that list, but I'm not sure exactly when or how MFL consumes that information programmatically.

All of this is just background, though. As a league, we need to make sure nobody exploits poor MFL behavior by intentionally leaving a Questionable player on IR in order to have a free bench slot for waivers, waiting until after waivers to see whether or not they got X Y or Z player, and then deciding after that whom to drop in order to promote a Q player off of IR.

At the same time, we need to make sure we don't punish owners for not checking their roster constantly to see if anyone on IR became ineligible just before waivers process or something. Like, it should be OK to put in your waivers on Tuesday morning and not need to triple-check Tuesday night just in case the Vikings updated Bradford to Questionable during the last few hours.

So I think Spermy's right in that our league rules need to address the situation. As-written, our rules say MFL enforces this, and clearly MFL is not enforcing it adequately. But I also think we need to not be excessively punitive when an owner isn't trying to get away with something. At the very least, we should specify whether it's OK to leave an IR violation in place over the course of several days as long as you do not attempt to make a roster move or set a lineup. Because MFL totally lets you do that.

This is what we have:

There's nothing here that lets us enforce a strict "you can't do waivers if you're in IR violation" programmatically.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OH there is this:

You can set it from For Owners>Franchise Setup>Contact Info

It miiiight mean you get emails whenever any player on your roster's injury status is updated in MFL, or it might mean when the NFL updates it and it gets reported on a news feed? Not 100% sure but if you don't mind getting (even more) email spam from MFL, maybe it'll help owners stay in IR compliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You get emails every time I change my lineup?

I do that like 6 times before the 1pm games on sunday and three times on thursday.