Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sakurazuka posted:

Unless the bat/mummy rooms get a lot worse as the game goes on it's not as big a deal as that review makes out.

How could they not get worse? I'm at the beginning of the game. I have it on Switch, but I wish I could post a video. It's not fun. It's not Contra-Vania. It's Bullet Hell BS with an average-controlling character.

[edit] Obviously at this point I cannot reliably comment on later-game stuff, but I think it's a stretch to think that a game that has thrown this much endlessly spawning mummy-bat bullshit at me in the first 30 min of the game is suddenly going to go "oh, hey, wait a minute, this is lame. Let's stop doing this." Also, games do tend to get harder as they go. So, there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

I wish my patches would start in rest mode and not when I turn the power back on.

They should.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, sounds about right. I'll probably just use it when queuing up downloads (or if I need to suspend a game in an emergency I guess?).

Thanks again! Sorry for the dumb questions. :B

Hey, if you don't ask, you won't know! That by definition makes them anything but dumb questions.

To be clear on that whole "downloading while you're gone" bit, that does apply to games that start from the web/mobile Store so you're not staring at a 55 gig download (*cough* GT Sport *cough*). It's a lifesaver for having stuff ready when you get home from work.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Don't just cord pull.

Power the system on and hold the button until it beeps twice. This will start it in safe mode and that has the option for a database check.

Did this and I don't see a database check. I see rebuild database though. Says it'll take a few hours to rebuild.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Another benefit of rest mode is that games get patches and so does the system from time to time which is to say there will be times you want to be downloading but you don’t realize it until you turn the system on.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I always leave my PS4 in rest mode, and it gets system updates and most patches automatically, but sometimes patches don't download until I launch the game, and I'm not sure why. It seems like it happens more commonly with games that have fallen off the dashboard, but not always.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I fully shut down my PS4 and then unplug it from the wall every evening

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Every evening I unplug mine, throw it in the incinerator, and send my manservant out to purchase a new one for the morning.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rest mode is fine as long as you save your game first just incase it decides to download and install an update and reset your console while you're at work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The fun of Dead Rising is Frank's Groundhog Zombie Day. Play again and again, learning the geography and getting the event timing and item locations down, until you can just blitz through the game and gently caress poo poo up.

The fun is definitely not in fighting zombies. They are an environmental hazard that exist to be mitigated, not confronted. Psychos (aka bosses) exist to be chumped out with overly-powerful combo weapons and drink mixes.

I love Dead Rising but it's not for everyone. It's the definition of a B-tier game that does something different and appeals to a (relatively) small niche of people. Capcom ruined it by trying to make it a crowd-pleasing AAA franchise. There's nothing wrong with that but a lot of what works in Dead Rising are things that aren't very popular or crowd-pleasing.

It's a real shame what DR turned into. :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Rest mode is fine as long as you save your game first just incase it decides to download and install an update and reset your console while you're at work.

This exact thing happened to me today 😤

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
BTW Megaton Rainfall is an extremely weird, personal game that has some extremely cool tech that everyone should check out at some point, particularly if you like EDF. Target price point: 10 bucks or less, IMO.

Please note: the less you know about the game, the happier and more surprised you will most likely be. Essentially you're an invincible Psychic Superman who flies around saving cities from alien invaders. The sole blemish is a boring mentor character that occasionally lectures you but really, the game goes to some interesting places that I did not expect.

I'll spoil them here

Seriously, spoilers, don't read this if you want to be surprised:

The game starts you out flying around the Earth like Superman fighting aliens (which is pretty well done and has a neat final level) but it turns out the crazy designer actually mathematically modeled the whole universe. Later in the game you can ditch Earth and motor around the Solar System. You can fly out to Jupiter or skim along the rings of Saturn or fly off to another galaxy and explore a stellar nursery to find a trinary star system that orbits a black hole with a very obvious accretion disk. It kind of flipped my wig. There's hardly any gameplay out there but the fact that it exists and you can fly out between galaxies and explore a zillion stars (they are NOT background! Every single one is really there in a manner of speaking) is pretty crazy.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Feenix posted:

Mummy Demastered (reviewed on Switch, but most things I will talk about are design-related and thus, universal.)

Mummy: Demastered - Buyer beware.

First and foremost, I will state that on Switch, it has performance issues. Even in light-usage areas. I have heard it runs fine on PC. On PS4, I suggest you do your homework.

On to the meat:

This is Contra-Vania as created by WayForward. Them that brought you such goodies as Shantae and other games that were throwbacky-but-good.

This game has great pixel animation. Neat (but sometimes a little sparse) art. It has a mechanic where if you die, a new agent (you again) takes over from the last save point, with nothing on him but the basics, and your corpse is a mummy (with all it's health and weapons and functions and special items... if you beat it, you get your poo poo back.

Where to begin..?

Aforementioned (possibly Switch-only?) Performance issues.

Controls are serviceable. They honestly wouldn't be so bad if...

...The gameplay wasn't so punishing. Bats swoop down and shoot right where you are. Mummies rise from the ground, sometimes right under you. Jumping over a mummy that is too close to you almost guarantees you will get hit by a bat or a crow flying over you. This would just be challenging if not for...

...The fact that everything endlessly respawns! So 3 mummies on the ground? You dispatch them, and look, 3 new ones come up in random spots, maybe even under you. Jump? Sure, oh wait, you just got hit by an endlessly looping wave of crows/bats flying from offscreen. Sometimes they come so often that you cannot exit the screen on the left or right without hitting one. Oh and they spawn at your "elevation" on the screen. So more often than not, they are where you are. This is not good... but is made even worse by...

...The fact that when you die, it's usually because the room just kept spawning poo poo in your way, as mentioned above. Only now there is an extra-tough bad mummy version of you firing a gun and throwing grenades and whatever else it has (that you now, do not!) at you.

What the gently caress was WayForward thinking? This is some rookie-rear end game design.

Sounds a lot like every lovely NES game ever (looking at you Zelda 2)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

After a few hours in it, I gotta agree with that Mummy review. The knock back is too great for the amount of poo poo they’re throwing and with such limited routes, and the mummy you on death just isn’t fun. I regret my purchase.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'll give another opinion of Mummy Demastered, I'm about an hour or two in at 20% map discovered. The respawning enemies are annoying I guess, calling it bullet hell'ish is definitely an exaggeration. It feels like classic Metroid where things are always spawning, letting you farm for health or bombs/ammo whenever you want so it's really easy to avoid death to the point where I haven't actually died at all. If a reviewer or someone hadn't played Nes/Snes Metroid I could understand them thinking it's bad design, but it just feels like they went a little overboard at calling back to those games. That being said... I'm not sure classic Metroid gameplay is going to be fun for everyone. I got stuck and I'm not really feeling like continuing to play the game. I'm playing on PC and didn't have any performance issues mentioned like the Switch version might have.

TLDR: Game looks and sounds great, probably leans too much on classic gameplay rather than taking that style and making a more modern game.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Mandrel posted:

Sounds a lot like every lovely NES game ever (looking at you Zelda 2)

Sounds more like Ninja Gaiden I or Castlevania I. Zelda II was fine, especially compared to those two.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

TLDR: Game looks and sounds great, probably leans too much on classic gameplay rather than taking that style and making a more modern game.

That's kind of how I felt about Shantae. I get why it's good but the gameplay is a little too retro for my liking.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The counterpoint about being able to farm the infinitely spawning annoyances in Mummy is apparently rendered moot later on when your health pool is much higher and you have to farm in 5 (and occasionally 20) point chunks.

It’s a badly designed game. Any game where the enemies get in the way of fun and any sense of progress is doing something wrong. There are times you feel like you are just being ping-ponged between knockbacks from enemy hits.

If you want to say it’s a throwback, so be it. But they did it poorly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is hidden agenda multiplayer only?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

I always leave my PS4 in rest mode, and it gets system updates and most patches automatically, but sometimes patches don't download until I launch the game, and I'm not sure why. It seems like it happens more commonly with games that have fallen off the dashboard, but not always.

It's definitely dashboard or "last x amount of games accessed" related. If I know I'm going to play a game I haven't in ages, I'll boot it up just to make sure it doesn't have tons of patches and stuff to download.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I think it's the dashboard. It makes sense. If it updated everything you could run out of storage before you even figured out what was going on.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I don't use my PS4 often enough to warrant rest mode. But has anyone ever measured the power consumption?

I once did for the xbox360, and that drew 11 watts in standby.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Feenix posted:

The counterpoint about being able to farm the infinitely spawning annoyances in Mummy is apparently rendered moot later on when your health pool is much higher and you have to farm in 5 (and occasionally 20) point chunks.

It’s a badly designed game. Any game where the enemies get in the way of fun and any sense of progress is doing something wrong. There are times you feel like you are just being ping-ponged between knockbacks from enemy hits.

If you want to say it’s a throwback, so be it. But they did it poorly.

A friend compared the amount of knockback to Castlevania, and he's actually pretty right, but the difference is that where you had the same bone-throwing skeletons and bats in Castlevania, you had an answer of weapons that could be thrown through rocks back at them, and in this game they can hit you but you can't hit them.

e: Castlevania also had a fair amount of vertical progression via stairs, where the knockback would be suspended and it makes a huge difference. This has none.

Fix fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 25, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hopper posted:

I don't use my PS4 often enough to warrant rest mode. But has anyone ever measured the power consumption?

I read that it's about ten for the PS4 but if you set it to cut power to the USB ports (or have it stop after 3 hours) you cut it down by more than half. There are a couple of other features that the PS4 will let you toggle off for rest mode, like being able to wake it through the network. Depending on how barebones you want to make it, you can the power drain pretty minimal.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Was it Disgaea 4 or 5 the got the series back on track after a decent, but boring previous game?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anora posted:

Was it Disgaea 4 or 5 the got the series back on track after a decent, but boring previous game?
4, although the Vita version of 3 ended up being pretty good, the PS3 release was just a little underdeveloped.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hopper posted:

It doesn't draw much power but then if you multiply it by the units that are left in rest mode all the time it's literally killing the planet :shrug:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

It doesn't draw much power but then if you multiply it by the units that are left in rest mode all the time it's literally killing the planet :shrug:

I have some bad news for you regarding cars

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

acksplode posted:

Do you leave your car in the garage with the engine running until the next time you go for a drive?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

acksplode posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't :smugmrgw:

All my cars are in Gran Turismo.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Rest mode is great
And if i recall correctly. There's an option it has, that makes it only download but not install stuff while it's in rest mode.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The PS4 is a real piece of poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

acksplode posted:

It actually seems to be time based.

If you rebuild your database, it reinitalizies all your games and it checks EVERYTHING for patches, even games you haven't played in over 300 days. Kind of like it resets the clock. Last time I rebuilt the database, I was getting patches for multiple games not even on my dashboard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

disgaea 4s protagonist is weirdly obsessed with anchovies which is all right, disgaea 5s protagonist is extremely hungry all the time. that's all i remember from either games plot

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So, does MGSV mostly consist of 'go to the base and do a thing'? The gameplay is great, but its already getting a little repetitive and i'm at like 10% :(. I know I can switch up my approach, but still, don't know if I am as gripped as I hoped I would be.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yep, that's pretty much what you'll be doing for the whole game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

rabidsquid posted:

disgaea 4s protagonist is weirdly obsessed with anchovies which is all right, disgaea 5s protagonist is extremely hungry all the time. that's all i remember from either games plot

Sardines for Valvatorez, yes. D4 had a terminal case of characters drilling a single word/phrase into your head (Fuuka: MY DREAM; Desco: FINAL BOSS etc). D5 was a decent bit better for it, but the whole cast did enjoy curry a lot, which might be where you're getting the extreme hunger from.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Dang, and it started off so cool. Well. I will keep going for now, but I think it'll soon descend into me just going in there and shooting everyone to get the job done and finish the slog.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

henpod posted:

So, does MGSV mostly consist of 'go to the base and do a thing'? The gameplay is great, but its already getting a little repetitive and i'm at like 10% :(. I know I can switch up my approach, but still, don't know if I am as gripped as I hoped I would be.

At least until they release the patch so you can play two-player co-op with the other player as Fulton the Dog or Poop-Horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

At least until they release the patch so you can play two-player co-op with the other player as Fulton the Dog or Poop-Horse.

henpod posted:

Dang, and it started off so cool. Well. I will keep going for now, but I think it'll soon descend into me just going in there and shooting everyone to get the job done and finish the slog.

That's a very valid strategy!

E: I didn't mean to quote myself :negative: