Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Rowing and jogging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i have mixed feelings about this one, because making it illegal to make songs that sound really rather a lot like other songs isn't good for songs.

otoh, national look like dickheads arguing that they bought a song called 'eminemesque' but had no idea it was anything to do with eminem.

hm.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They knew what they were doing but thought it was "pretty legal eh". And it's not that they sound similar, I'm pretty sure it's the same backing track

Anything that costs the National party money is good?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

sebmojo posted:

i have mixed feelings about this one, because making it illegal to make songs that sound really rather a lot like other songs isn't good for songs.

hm.

Yeah it was literally a cheap knock off of the eminem song, nobody's creativity is being stifled here

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Australian (newspaper) hates Jacinda but this article makes me like her a lot more tbh http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...40f8cd5bc731c51

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

bike tory posted:

The Australian (newspaper) hates Jacinda but this article makes me like her a lot more tbh http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...40f8cd5bc731c51

I'm getting paywalled

Why does an Australian paper have such strong opinions about an NZ PM anyway, it's kinda weird

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 24, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Why does an Australian paper have such strong opinions about an NZ PM anyway, it's kinda weird

The Australian political climate is one of abject apathy. So the idea that a politician can be elected on a positive and constructive platform is such a foreign concept that it has rattled the political commentariat. You also have to put it in context that Turnbull/Liberal National Party have lost over twenty opinion polls in a row. So it's starting to feel inevitable that the Labor Party (led by a human manifestation of wet cardboard) is going to win through attrition. We have seen brief flashes of life in the Labor leader, and I think they are genuinely worried that he is going to start to feel emboldened and start making demands for real change.

I honestly do not think that the political media is capable of analysing politics much beyond 'Labor waste', necessary cuts, and debt. We are coming up on ten years since Tony Abbott first became the leader of the LNP, his style of endless campaigning, and blaming everything on Labor. Political commentators have got used to a particular political framing, and anything that goes against must simply be invalid. Ardern and Corbyn are leaders of countries with close parallels to Australia, and run on narratives counter to the commentators.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Maybe they're more pissed than they let on about that stupid 'Aussies, no surprises there' ad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah it was literally a cheap knock off of the eminem song, nobody's creativity is being stifled here

as a musician, p much everything is a cheap knock off of everything else if you look at it right. as a lawyer I don't trust the law to manage that distinction.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The minimum wage increase has brought out the usual concern trolling from "small business" etc.

Am I correct in saying business taxes are paid on profit, not revenue? And that as such, the only thing paying your workers more would result in is less after-tax profit? And so the only people who would actually "have" to fire workers would be those companies that already only make like $5/h profit? Everyone else would just make less money for the business owners instead.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Jaguars! posted:

Maybe they're more pissed than they let on about that stupid 'Aussies, no surprises there' ad.

It was years ago Michael, let it go.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

megalodong posted:

The minimum wage increase has brought out the usual concern trolling from "small business" etc.

Am I correct in saying business taxes are paid on profit, not revenue? And that as such, the only thing paying your workers more would result in is less after-tax profit? And so the only people who would actually "have" to fire workers would be those companies that already only make like $5/h profit? Everyone else would just make less money for the business owners instead.

A slight reduction in business owner profit is the apocalypse to some people.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

megalodong posted:

make less money for the business owners instead.

This is literally communism, apparently.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm getting paywalled

Same. Lol at paywall

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hosking has bent the knee

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11936459

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m guessing he’s getting a gentle ribbing on social media for that

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The new ministers have been announced: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/98198348/live-new-government-rolls-out

No surprises really.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

megalodong posted:

My partner and I own a small business.

The long and the short of it is: anyone who's big enough to employ multiple minimum wage employees (so low/no skilled, unqualified full-time workers) is pretty loving far from a 'small' business and if increasing their wages by 80-odd bucks a week is enough to sink your poo poo then you done hosed up and probably shouldn't be running anything.

It's all nonsense and the people hit hardest will be petrol station owners, mcdonald's franchisees and the like where good management makes a huge difference to how well you do and employee pay has little effect one way or the other.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 25, 2017

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

http://www.courtsofnz.govt.nz/static-files/eight-mile-style-v-new-zealand-national-party.html

eat poo poo

e: the judgement starts with a line from the god damned song like it's a high school essay trying to pad out the word count, good christ.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 25, 2017

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Rubbing salt into the wound

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I barely care enough to write out this post, definitely not enough to read 130 odd pages, what's the tl;dr.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Xik posted:

I barely care enough to write out this post, definitely not enough to read 130 odd pages, what's the tl;dr.

it was a copy, they knew it was a copy, they still used it and didn't think to ask a lawyer, 600k plus interest

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

if increasing their wages by 80-odd bucks a week is enough to sink your poo poo then you done hosed up and probably shouldn't be running anything.

This is the thing. If you're literally asking people to work for substandard wages so that you can earn more money yourself then you don't deserve to be running a business, and if you legitinately can't afford to then your business is not viable (which sucks, but that's business).

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 25, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Winston Peters : Minister for Racing :rice:

quote:

A press release about the Eminem vs National Party copyright case said: "The Court found Eight Mile Style is entitled to damages on a 'user principle' basis in the sum of NZ$600,000, with interest, from 28 June 2014."

:gizz:

What happened the election before when they busted copyright again?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

it was a copy, they knew it was a copy, they still used it and didn't think to ask a lawyer, 600k plus interest

But Steven Joyce said it was pretty legal.
I am beginning to think his legal and mathematical skills are not quite as good as he thinks.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How bloody hard is it to know copyright? If you are playing it in public to have to licence it. You can save yourself $100+ an hour with one sentence. Piracy theft Stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

I assume this will come out of National's pocket unless they do a whip round. $600+k isn't unsubstantial if the party pays out for it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

His legal advice is just as sound as his fiscal advice.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Who wants to read about some really loving sad and rage inducing court cases?

quote:

In 2010, Ms X’s abusive former partner made a complaint to the Ministry of Social Development about her, alleging that she had received financial support from her mother and had bought and sold houses while on a benefit.

The Ministry began an investigation into Ms X’s circumstances and entitlement to the benefit.

Her former partner later admitted that his complaint had been malicious and unfounded, but that did not stop the Ministry’s action against Ms X. 

The Ministry concluded that, as Ms X had borrowed money and spent it on basic necessities for herself and her children, she had not been entitled to a benefit and was accordingly required to repay $120,398.38.

This was despite the fact that Ms X was specifically told by her Work and Income case managers that she did not have to declare loans, irrespective of whether the loans were from banks, credit cards or family members.

When the case was in the High Court in July, the judge asked the Crown lawyer whether there was any loan that would not be counted as income and he replied that, if credit was used to buy shares, it might not be counted.

quote:

[In a separate case] MSD was trying to recover approximately $120,000 from a chronically-ill beneficiary in her 50s who will never be able to work again. The Ministry has pursued her for years and spent a large amount on the case, even though it is plain the woman has no money and her health will never allow her to work again.
The judge asked the Crown lawyer whether it was worth continuing to pursue the beneficiary.

The lawyer responded that it was, as the beneficiary might win Lotto and would then be able to repay the money.

http://www.catrionamaclennan.co.nz/blog/loans-to-feed-kids-are-income-and-disqualify-benefit-says-msd/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

oohhboy posted:

I assume this will come out of National's pocket unless they do a whip round. $600+k isn't unsubstantial if the party pays out for it.

they're presumably going to try chase the website they licensed it from

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Their first version of that ad had the actual song, but they pulled the song presumingly because they believed they wouldn’t get the license for it, and sought a sound alike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

really loving sad and rage inducing court cases

You definitely delivered there.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Their first version of that ad had the actual song, but they pulled the song presumingly because they believed they wouldn’t get the license for it, and sought a sound alike

A sound alike literally called Eminemesque. I mean, it's pretty loving obvious that they were trying to use something that was basically Eminem but license-able.

Of course it's worth noting that this decision was due in August but somehow got delayed until now, both after the current election (and negotiation) are done AND after the 3 year statute of limitations on the 2014 election overspend that this judgment causes.

EDIT: I mean I'm talking about this court case because I can't form real sentences about the other one due to how rage-inducing it is.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Courtesy of the Courts of NZ Website you can listen to a side-by-side audio comparison track:

https://courtsofnewzealand.blob.cor...0T04%3A18%3A39Z

Listen to with headphones. One side is audio from the ad, one is Eminem

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The best was on Jim Moira's show yesterday when they played one after the other and they blended so seamlessly that everyone was waiting for the comparison to happen and it wasn't until the producer pointed out that both tracks had played that anyone realised.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Murrah posted:

Courtesy of the Courts of NZ Website you can listen to a side-by-side audio comparison track:

https://courtsofnewzealand.blob.cor...0T04%3A18%3A39Z

Listen to with headphones. One side is audio from the ad, one is Eminem

I'm guessing Eminem is the left channel, only because of the drums that come in?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11936877

quote:

Key junior, who has made no secret of following in his father's political footsteps, said he would compose a "diss" track on Eminem.

"Better start writing the bars that will avenge the National Party," posted Key with the hashtag "key for 2044" making a reference to his political aspirations to lead the country in just over 20 years.

He added on Facebook: "10,000 likes and I'll make a diss track on Eminem."

At this stage he was short of 8700 likes to achieve his goal.

I can't loving wait, I really cant

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Somebody help I can't breath.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Revenge is best served off key.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
"Loose yourself mak key [sic]", posted Jared Hicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Please go like his post. We need this to happen.

• Locked thread