Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Cool, give me your exact plan that everyone agrees is necessary.

Massively raise taxes, use them to fund vastly increased social services.

If you disagree with this it's because you're exactly who Watts is talking about

Maxwell Lord posted:

See, I prefer sappy optimism to taking a poo poo on people's attempts to envision a better future.

I prefer to read something that acknowledges the unsustainability of our current situation rather than just "yay in the future we fixed everything with magic and smartness"

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Massively raise taxes, use them to fund vastly increased social services.

If you disagree with this it's because you're exactly who Watts is talking about

Okay, so what precisely is the new tax rate, how do you ensure everyone at the top doesn't dodge said taxes or move away (this was a reason Reagan's tax cuts, disastrous though they were, passed a Democratic Congress- the top margins weren't paying much anyway despite the paper rates), and what is the structure and proportion of these services? Like, if it's a monthly basic income (an idea I favor), how much? If it's free-at-point-of-service health care (which also needs to happen), do we set that like the UK's system, or Canada's, or France's?

Also how does any of this stop police from getting away with murdering black people, or do a drat thing to stop global warming?

quote:

I prefer to read something that acknowledges the unsustainability of our current situation rather than just "yay in the future we fixed everything with magic and smartness"

I am fully aware of the unsustainability of our current situation. I think just about everyone remotely left of center is by now. The question is what the gently caress do we do, and while the technocrats may not have all the answers, at least some of their plans don't require waiting until next November and hoping that voter suppression hasn't cemented a permanent Republican majority.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Falsely interprets something as Nihilist, then goes on a tear that is the most teenaged interpretation of nihilism I've seen all week.

The internet was a mistake.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, so what precisely is the new tax rate, how do you ensure everyone at the top doesn't dodge said taxes or move away (this was a reason Reagan's tax cuts, disastrous though they were, passed a Democratic Congress- the top margins weren't paying much anyway despite the paper rates), and what is the structure and proportion of these services? Like, if it's a monthly basic income (an idea I favor), how much? If it's free-at-point-of-service health care (which also needs to happen), do we set that like the UK's system, or Canada's, or France's?

Also how does any of this stop police from getting away with murdering black people, or do a drat thing to stop global warming?

I am fully aware of the unsustainability of our current situation. I think just about everyone remotely left of center is by now. The question is what the gently caress do we do, and while the technocrats may not have all the answers, at least some of their plans don't require waiting until next November and hoping that voter suppression hasn't cemented a permanent Republican majority.

We can start by returning the tax structure to where it was in 1946. 90% top marginal bracket, applies equally to all income, gains, inheritance, corporate profit, and so on. We can also pass any of the progressive budgets you see tossed around that decimate military spending, agribusiness subsidies, etc. We could also remove 100% of the fancy deductions and loopholes and shelters in the tax structure and have zero effect on the median American family, so let's do that.

If the wealthy decide to move away, gently caress'em. The attitude that plutocrats are a hallowed class that's responsible for everyone else's success needs to die. We can implement structures similar to what China does with its economy to keep money from leaving the country.

Racism is fundamentally an educational problem. Children aren't born racist -- they have to be taught that behavior. You can't really fix grown-up dyed-in-the-wool racists, but if their kids go to school with kids of all different colors and are repeatedly taught that racism is stupid and bad, they'll grow up with an open mind. A general reduction in poverty will reduce street crime, and more importantly will also reduce the sort of stratification that leads to police building an "us-vs-them" mindset. And if nothing else, we can spend more money on Internal Affairs investigations.

We're probably too late to fix climate change, but dumping the money that Apple currently spends making iPhones thinner into the NSF and NOAA research budgets certainly couldn't hurt.

And, to your last point, if there's no democratic solution to the problem, well, Watts might be onto something...

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Oct 24, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey friends how about you get this D&D slapfight the gently caress out of my thread and talk about some bad books?

e: Discussing overall themes of optimism vs pessimism or whatever is great but holy poo poo seriously don't go posting a big screed full of actual tax reform suggestions, and also please do not ask for the same

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Oct 24, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Peter Watts is real good and I long to live in his future where Quebec is a world superpower

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My favorite terrible book is The Communist Manifesto.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Watts story good, nice and snappy.

At this point any work that denies the inevitability of our rapidly encroaching annihilation isn't "optimistic," it's deluded.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

Watts story good, nice and snappy.

At this point any work that denies the inevitability of our rapidly encroaching annihilation isn't "optimistic," it's deluded.

I'd rather make the best of my years trying to do things than wallow in hopelessness.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

There’s a difference between telling a story that discusses social problems, and one that just spews negativity until it eventually declares (via a group of shallow strawman characters) that mass-murder is a good idea. I can understand him wanting to avoid the cliché of the future where everything is perfect, but in doing so he stumbled right into an even worse cliché.

I would call it nihilistic because the solution it offers for all the world’s problems involves technology that doesn’t exist, and won’t exist in the foreseeable future. We can’t put nanites in people’s heads, and we can’t rewrite their DNA to make them more altruistic, therefore he’s basically arguing that in the real world there’s no hope.

Say what you want about the themes of the winning story, but from a technical standpoint it was better written. The characters felt like characters, at least. Not especially unique or memorable characters, but better than just being mouthpieces for the writer's cynical opinions.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

I would call it nihilistic

That's nice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I would call it nihilistic because the solution it offers for all the world’s problems involves technology that doesn’t exist, and won’t exist in the foreseeable future. We can’t put nanites in people’s heads, and we can’t rewrite their DNA to make them more altruistic, therefore he’s basically arguing that in the real world there’s no hope.

By this definition all speculative fiction ever written is nihilistic.

Bakeneko posted:

Say what you want about the themes of the winning story, but from a technical standpoint it was better written.

lol

e: also, I think that the "winning" story wasn't judged to be the best of the pile -- it was the winner of a much broader contest open to the public, and the prize was being included in the collection. It didn't beat out Margaret Atwood and Paolo Bacigalupi. It's amateurish, but in that light it's fine.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Oct 24, 2017

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

By this definition all speculative fiction ever written is nihilistic.

How so? The whole message of the story is that the world sucks and humanity sucks and it’ll keep sucking until we can rewrite our DNA because humans are inherently broken. Other sci-fi works offer fictional solutions to real-world problems, but they don’t usually go to that extreme. Nor do they usually state that the world is doomed unless some unrealistic thing happens within the next 20 or so years.

And I'm not saying that the other entry was a masterpiece or anything, just that this story was worse because the characters were such empty shells.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

How so? The whole message of the story is that the world sucks and humanity sucks and it’ll keep sucking until we can rewrite our DNA because humans are inherently broken. Other sci-fi works offer fictional solutions to real-world problems, but they don’t usually go to that extreme. Nor do they usually state that the world is doomed unless some unrealistic thing happens within the next 20 or so years.

This is no more or less realistic than saying the world will keep sucking until we can have self-driving cars/robot butlers/vacuum trains/fusion power/matter-condensers/artificial intelligence/etc. Actually, I'd argue that Peter Watts' ideas are more plausible than most science fiction; in his novels he goes as far as writing appendices that cite the academic papers backing up his speculation.

And if you don't think that science fiction has been predicting doom-unless-we-change-now for decades, you haven't read enough stuff from the cold war. The only difference between Watts' short story here and one of Isaac Asimov's short stories about future nuclear-powered robots in space or whatever is that Watts comes out and says "if we don't change things, we will all die" while Asimov leaves it as an implication.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Watts' story reminded me of Neal Breen's film Fateful Findings:
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/why-fateful-findings-deserves-cult-status/

quote:

Dylan is supposed to be writing a follow-up to his debut novel, but he’s got more important things to do. It seems he’s got a side gig as the world’s greatest hacker, using the many laptops littered around his office to hack into government and corporate files, and he’s discovered more incriminating information than any hacker in the history of the universe.

What kind of incriminating information? Fateful Findings doesn’t bother wasting its time specifying exactly what Dylan is doing as a whistleblower. He’s blowing the whistle! He’s delivering a lid-blower that’s blowing a lid off all the bad stuff the bad guys are doing, with the money and the lies and the corruption! Dylan’s revelations are so shocking and profound that when he announces them in a press conference (where he is hilariously and unconvincingly green-screened in front of a Washington, D.C. tableau), they compel all of the bad people who are doing the bad things to confess publicly, and then commit suicide in dramatic fashion as penance.

(Of course, to his credit, Watts actually thought about how to fix things beyond "kill the rich.")

SerialKilldeer has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Oct 25, 2017

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
PYF terrible thread

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's fine to discuss books about social issues and to some extent those issues themselves as they relate to the book but keep in mind this is a bad book thread not a thread for extended political discussion.

A bad book I read that I mean to try again is The Secret Life of Bees. We had to read it in school when I was 17 and I didn't get along with the teacher at all and I think reading a book as part of schoolwork is a surefire way to not enjoy a good book. Maybe it is just unenjoyable poo poo but I'd like to give it another try at some point. That said when I was 14 we were assigned To Kill a Mockingbird and I read that ahead of the classes and it was pretty good.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Oct 25, 2017

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

This is no more or less realistic than saying the world will keep sucking until we can have self-driving cars/robot butlers/vacuum trains/fusion power/matter-condensers/artificial intelligence/etc. Actually, I'd argue that Peter Watts' ideas are more plausible than most science fiction; in his novels he goes as far as writing appendices that cite the academic papers backing up his speculation.

And if you don't think that science fiction has been predicting doom-unless-we-change-now for decades, you haven't read enough stuff from the cold war. The only difference between Watts' short story here and one of Isaac Asimov's short stories about future nuclear-powered robots in space or whatever is that Watts comes out and says "if we don't change things, we will all die" while Asimov leaves it as an implication.

Don't bother with Asimov, read some John Wyndham. British SF from his era is pretty on-the-nose about "Nope, we're hosed, our best hope is that pockets of humanity survive in the face of an overwhelming threat."

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

So I'm reading (listening to, because the ebook was checked out) Quest for the Well of Souls right now, which is a very late-seventies sci-fi novel that was split into two books because it was so big. The audiobook started with an introduction talking about how he'd rewritten the books to work on their own, and then the second chapter is two of the characters sitting down and restating the plot of the first book to each other.

The first book also had an incredibly :goonsay: introduction about how whenever he switches a scene unless he's explicit about time passing it's always simultaneous with the scene before it

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

A bad book I read that I mean to try again is The Secret Life of Bees. We had to read it in school when I was 17 and I didn't get along with the teacher at all and I think reading a book as part of schoolwork is a surefire way to not enjoy a good book. Maybe it is just unenjoyable poo poo but I'd like to give it another try at some point. That said when I was 14 we were assigned To Kill a Mockingbird and I read that ahead of the classes and it was pretty good.

I didn't like Moby-Dick until I was into my twenties and attempted it again, at which point I loved it. It wasn't a question of me not liking my English teacher - he was a great guy - but there's really no reason in the world that book should be taught to callow youths.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I keep getting hung up on this paragraph:

The Paragraph in Question posted:

It's a special kind of mindfuck to realize the moment between “Down With The Sickness,” and Shostakovich’s “String Quartet No. 3 (3rd Movement),” was twenty years for the world and maybe two blinks for everyone on that plane. For the record, Shostakovich is as Metal as Classical gets, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

At first I thought it implied that “Down With The Sickness” and “String Quartet No. 3" were recorded 20 years apart and the people on the plane missed those 20 years. But the I realize that the author probably means that the protagonist was listening to both these songs, and that the plane hopped 20 years into the future in the silence between songs. But the way it's written ("everyone on that plane") makes it seem like the pilot was just blasting Disturbed over the airplane speaker system.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Pastry of the Year posted:

I didn't like Moby-Dick until I was into my twenties and attempted it again, at which point I loved it. It wasn't a question of me not liking my English teacher - he was a great guy - but there's really no reason in the world that book should be taught to callow youths.

I'm ambivalent on Moby Dick, but I will say that one of my few happy memories of my short time as an English grad student was reading the blubber-squeezing scene aloud with all the erotic aplomb that that moment deserves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of English class depends on the teacher (and the class) making the text understandable and interesting. Providing context, clarifying misunderstandings and talking about your own interpretations and ideas makes it worth the hassle, and is kind of what learning about books is supposed to be about. Even something like a teacher reading out Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, interspersed with talking about things like how the original Oompa-Loompas were pygmy stereotypes now considered horribly racist but accepted at the time, and other parts of how the culture when it was written was significantly different to what it is now. (Like with Mike Teevee having aged hilariously poorly)

canis minor
May 4, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

It's fine to discuss books about social issues and to some extent those issues themselves as they relate to the book but keep in mind this is a bad book thread not a thread for extended political discussion.

I didn't enjoy most of the books that I've read as school assignments - yet I love to read. I think it stemmed down to having to read a set of books in not enough time, with the extreme being Nad Niemnem (which is three tomes, ~400 pages, if I remember correctly, of very dry positivistic prose where people complain about their life all the time) to be read through the weekend.

The ones I did like though were The Trial by Franz Kafka and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (and I think I was 16 when we were assigned that)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

DigitalRaven posted:

Don't bother with Asimov

Mods?!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

The article I read about her basically pegged her as ‘Late Stage Capitalism Meets Poetry: The Person.’ Which is hilarious.

Poetry is dead for a reason.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Reminds me of when we were assigned Uncle Tom's Cabin to read in high school and I wrote an entire essay that was entirely about how bad it was and how the sentimental style was completely at odds with the rest of the book. Like, I went on for a while basically finding new ways to say "the only good thing was the anti-slavery message and i hate the rest of it also it is really racist", maybe I should reread it to see if I still hate it? It did give me the only A I ever got in a high school english essay so I owe it that.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
sff/f is really bad right now

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

I seriously can't tell if this is parody or not

and I can't not read it in cta guy's voice

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

DigitalRaven posted:

Don't bother with Asimov, read some John Wyndham. British SF from his era is pretty on-the-nose about "Nope, we're hosed, our best hope is that pockets of humanity survive in the face of an overwhelming threat."
wyndham rules. i roll my eyes a bit about all his characters retaining their tea-powered englishness in the face of apocalyptic chaos, but he could really follow through on an idea and his writing is marvellously succinct and vivid for the era. not everything he wrote was gold but the chrysalids, the kraken wakes, day of the triffids and the midwich cuckoos are all must-reads if you have any interest in genre fiction (and you can do all four in an evening if you're a fast reader)

e: lmao his full name was "john wyndham parkes lucas beynon harris"

e2: kraken wasn't about global warming but if you invoke death of the author it fits surprisingly well

the old ceremony has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Oct 26, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I seriously can't tell if this is parody or not

and I can't not read it in cta guy's voice

Me neither but that pretty much says it all

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Don Gato posted:

Reminds me of when we were assigned Uncle Tom's Cabin to read in high school and I wrote an entire essay that was entirely about how bad it was and how the sentimental style was completely at odds with the rest of the book. Like, I went on for a while basically finding new ways to say "the only good thing was the anti-slavery message and i hate the rest of it also it is really racist", maybe I should reread it to see if I still hate it? It did give me the only A I ever got in a high school english essay so I owe it that.

That is exactly what everyone who studies UTC in graduate school thinks of it, plus with hot takes on the heavy-handed Christian themes. You got it right the first time, friend.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i think if you don't come away from utc saying "it was really racist" you fail the course

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
Saw this and thought of this thread. :v:

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/923653873356619777

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

juuust the right amount of no effort :discourse:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I think you'll find the dark enlightenment thread is elsewhere, friend.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there wolf posted:

I think you'll find the dark enlightenment thread is elsewhere, friend.

explain

(idk much but i thought @lanadelwhatever was pretty woke & rupi kaurs poetry is bland as hell with bad mspaints on it?)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Powaqoatse posted:

explain

(idk much but i thought @lanadelwhatever was pretty woke & rupi kaurs poetry is bland as hell with bad mspaints on it?)

Ha. Didn't see the Rupi Kaur at the bottom. It just reminded me of the kind of silly ethical dilemmas Yud's crowd likes to churn out to make their dumb cause seem deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Never seen trolley problem pictures/parodies before? Hoo boy.

(the correct answer is always multi-track drifting)