Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

I just don't get why they're OK with straight up admitting the world title doesn't matter for like 8 months. Jinder's pretty clearly been getting the CM Punk treatment where his program is only like the third most important on the show, and Smackdown's been built around Sami and KO the last few weeks.

Despite everything wrong with Jinder, I'd rather watch him showing up every week and actually defending his belt over Brock never showing up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

We're gonna need a lot more Singh Brothers at survivor series.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm sure Khali Singh can always put in another random appearance

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

DeathChicken posted:

I'm sure Khali Singh can always put in another random appearance

Vince would love to put Brock against The Great Khali.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Dacap posted:

Natty is totally getting cashed in on after the Bliss match. That way they get at least one title change.

If they are smart, creative will pull a stunt where Naomi or Tamina gets jumped by some Raw women before the match and Nattie is forced to fill in. Then let Carmella cash in during the Survivor Series match, with bonus points for not only taking the title, but also eliminating a member of her own team from the match.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

If they are smart, creative will pull a stunt where Naomi or Tamina gets jumped by some Raw women before the match and Nattie is forced to fill in. Then let Carmella cash in during the Survivor Series match, with bonus points for not only taking the title, but also eliminating a member of her own team from the match.

If she cashed it in during the match then wouldn't it be like Cibernetico rules where the last two people left fight for the title regardless of brand?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I have zero interest in Jinder but he gets the World Champ nod by simply being present.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But Brock is at least clearly at the top of the pecking order, and you can almost argue that it gives the belt a mystique if the holder can decide where and when to show up. Jinder is basically the third most important heel on his own loving show. Fifth if tag teams count, because I sure as gently caress care more about the Usos fighting the Shield.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm just saying how it all factors in to me and the way I watch/observe. Jinder's a weak champ but like he's a champ with an entourage and opponents and a presence. Brock and his belt are non-factors to me. I can't remember the last time i saw them and I don't care about them or anyone talking about them. Its possible a new champion could make me consider that belt meaningful but for now its not more than a vanity item for a guy who isn't even there.

I think of Tag and Women's belts as separate divisions. AJ as US Champ was maybe getting there but I'm not sure who has the belt now. Corbin? Miz is good in his role but he's kind of a buffoon and this Shield thing makes him feel like a prop to me. So Jinder gets the begrudging nod.

But I do agree that KO and SZ are bigger heels on their brand. But Jinder being 2nd/3rd behind them still beats Brock being a no show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alexa is the top champ on Raw. Miz never even defends.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Literally the only reasons for Owens not to be champion on Smackdown is that WWE isn't making a big push into Quebec and/or they actually consider the WORLD TITLE a demotion from feuding with a 50 year old man who plays MMA fighter/pro-wrestler/stuntman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

Alexa is the top champ on Raw. Miz never even defends.

If John Cena can't random declare himself #1 contender its a different division.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

If John Cena can't random declare himself #1 contender its a different division.

So, what you're saying is he's right, and Alexa is the top champ, then?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You guys are 100% cuckoo. It's at least theoretically possible for Brock to have a good match or a good program and most of his programs have been very good this year even if the matches at the end were lacking. With Jinder, it's all crap, all the time.

I wish Jinder was gone as often as Brock because than he'd be embarrassing the belt that much less.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I personally don't care that much about Alexa as champ because she's booked to have no worthwhile foils/challenges. The main story there seems to be that Nia Jax is kind of desperately gullible to still be her lackey waiting for a title shot where Alexa will almost assuredly manipulate someone into aiding her into getting an advantage and then beating Jax. Except I guess she's gone now because of the booking?

On a very basic level I consider Jinder's title to be (a) attainable, (b) coveted, and (c) something Jinder actually fights for. Its a bad run and a bad champion but it does sorta feel like a championship run to me.

The way it feels to me Alexa's isn't attainable, Miz's isn't coveted, and Brock's isn't present and he doesn't have to do anything to keep it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 25, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A champ being good doesn't devalue their title.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

A champ being good doesn't devalue their title.

I think its a basic problem when you book long championship reigns. You eventually run the risk of turning the title into a mere prop for the champion. Alexa may be a strong champion but she has no strong challengers so her title is hurt by that. It doesn't mean the championship has to change hands a bunch but I just don't buy that any of Alexa's challengers are a threat so I don't care about the championship matches.

The question isn't "Do I Enjoy Alex Bliss?" because I more or less do. The question is "Do I care about her title matches?" I don't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
By that logic, Alexa is exactly as good/bad a champion as Kazuchika Okada.

I mean, they both have an approximately equal number of plausible challengers, and are both dominant.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It's the difference between caring about the champion, and caring about the champion's reign.

There are plenty of champions I've enjoyed, but whose individual reigns have sucked. Fewer vice-versa, but it does happen. Alexa as a champ is fine, her current reign as champ is poo poo.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Alexa is way better than Okada when was the last time Okada talked about how cute his butt is?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't watch NJPW so I can't speak to Okada.

Its not a knock against Bliss. I know people here love her and I enjoy a lot about her work. Its the booking. If her challengers just feel like a conveyer line of names to mark off a list it creates no drama. Its possible to book a dominant champ who still ends up in danger or whose title seems vulnerable. WWE just hasn't done that with Bliss from what I've seen.

I don't think "A strong champion needs true challengers" is really that controversial an opinion.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

You also rarely see the length of the reign match the strength of the wrestler. I actually enjoyed Jinder's reign up to his first ppv defense, that seemed reasonable since he had interference and so, so, so many steroids. But then the crazy train just kept going and going and going.

Alexa is good and over, but she's been champ now for literally twice as long as she should.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
One time Neville challenged Rollins on Raw, Neville hit the Red Arrow but he made his cover too deep and Rollins ragdolled onto the ropes. Rollins was 100% ktfo, he didn't put his foot on the ropes, Neville accidentally did it himself. It was about as clear of a visual pin as you can get. Neville lost his composure and when he went for the Red Arrow again, Rollins rolled out of the way, hit the Pedigree, retained. Another time, Ambrose just beat the poo poo out of HHH, he worked his leg with a Figure Four and a Sharpshooter, then when HHH was drunkenly stumbling around, Ambrose nailed him with Dirty Deeds. But Ambrose's foot was an inch under the ropes on the cover. Ambrose beat the poo poo out of HHH some more, went for an elbow through the announce table, HHH dodged, Ambrose barely beat the count back in, HHH hit the Pedigree, retained.

I'm not saying you should give the challenger a visual pinfall every single time, but there's ways to have your heel champion retain mostly clean while still A) Keeping babyface challengers from looking like losers and B) Keeping interest in the rematch or the next match.

On one end of the scale, you've got "Alexa just hits her DDT and wins, babyfaces have nothing to redeem them." and on the other you have "Jinder needs mountains of interference to retain, weakens the championship." These are both bad and they both way overstayed their welcome. Miz has been IC Champion for way longer than he should be but there were a couple decent breaks in his reign where you got that very cathartic "heel's bag of tricks finally runs dry, babyfaces triumphs." moment. Sasha beat Alexa, but it got effectively erased a week later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless you want them to look like losers.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
‘Jinder is better than Brock’ - lol, never change, goons

Summerslam’s main event was the WWE MotY, and Jinder is having two star matches with hall of fame guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if it was (it wasn’t) Brock wasn’t in most of it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Even if it was (it wasn’t) Brock wasn’t in most of it.

There's a very direct correlation between all of the good parts of that match and Brock Lesnar. Mostly because it involved him flying through stuff but it still counts.

Aphrodite posted:

Unless you want them to look like losers.

Which is bad! Bad, I say!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I personally don't care that much about Alexa as champ because she's booked to have no worthwhile foils/challenges. The main story there seems to be that Nia Jax is kind of desperately gullible to still be her lackey waiting for a title shot where Alexa will almost assuredly manipulate someone into aiding her into getting an advantage and then beating Jax. Except I guess she's gone now because of the booking?

On a very basic level I consider Jinder's title to be (a) attainable, (b) coveted, and (c) something Jinder actually fights for. Its a bad run and a bad champion but it does sorta feel like a championship run to me.

The way it feels to me Alexa's isn't attainable, Miz's isn't coveted, and Brock's isn't present and he doesn't have to do anything to keep it.

Nia is gone because she landed on her neck when she got powerbombed on the floor in the 5-way

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

allegedly

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

IcePhoenix posted:

Nia is gone because she landed on her neck when she got powerbombed on the floor in the 5-way

Big Dave says she just asked for some time off to chill and WWE said okay.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, wwe can't keep poo poo secret. If someone had a major neck injury, we'd have known by now

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, wwe can't keep poo poo secret. If someone had a major neck injury, we'd have known by now

You'd be surprised. For example, there's currently a ring in the Performance Centre with a curtain around it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

rovert posted:

You'd be surprised. For example, there's currently a ring in the Performance Centre with a curtain around it.

Because they aren't using it or because they're using it to hide someone?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Debuting a guy with an interior decorator gimmick, obviously.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

Because they aren't using it or because they're using it to hide someone?

Disclosing that would ruin the secret.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Debuting a guy with an interior decorator gimmick, obviously.

Remember that Kalisto is being repackaged as a gay hairdresser Wreddit rumour that everyone ran with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Anyway, no one knew about Kane's return or what is really deal with Summer Rae. WWE can still cover stuff up.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's probably Ronda.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Kalisto is getting booked into an injury angle and return with the gay hairdresser gimmick teaming up with a returning Neville who will be repackaged with that Mighty Mouse gimmick

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

It's probably Ronda.

If it is no one has reported it yet. Like I said WWE can still keep stuff secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HerraS posted:

Kalisto is getting booked into an injury angle and return with the gay hairdresser gimmick teaming up with a returning Neville who will be repackaged with that Mighty Mouse gimmick

he debuted on the main roster with a mighty mouse gimmick :ssh: