Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in the FiST manual its suggested 5th goes from 40-41

im assuming thats for economy driving but it still cracked me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think the FoST is 40-42mph or something.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I never go higher than 5th unless I know I'm gonna be cruising on a highway for several miles. I've probably spent longer in 5th than any other gear.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In my RS I go from 4-6 and 6-4. I'm almost never in 5th.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
If I'm in traffic and might need to speed up quickly I'll leave it in fifth, but sixth being usable is nice. 6th was completely useless in the Speed3.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In the FiST I generally skip fifth unless I'm being an idiot on the highway. Fourth is better for passing at roughly legal speeds, sixth is better for cruising, fifth is basically for the far end of the speedometer.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tantric posted:

My normal interstate speeds are 85-87 (no one lives in South Dakota) so I would really like a higher gear in 6th. 3200 rpm cruising is a bit much. The small gap between 5th and 6th doesnt make sense. 5th should be for 55-65 if they want to pass in that range. One of my few complaints about the car.

Oh god as another South Dakotan this was so annoying in my mazdaspeed Miata. 4200 rpm at 85. The sixth gear on that thing should have been so much taller.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm usually in second or third in the GTI unless I'm on the highway due to the recently discussed really long gears.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I'm usually in second or third in the GTI unless I'm on the highway due to the recently discussed really long gears.

4th is good for highway passing since it runs out of power at 6k

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

If I'm in traffic and might need to speed up quickly I'll leave it in fifth, but sixth being usable is nice. 6th was completely useless in the Speed3.

Eh? I had no issues just leaving it in sixth on the highway in my MS3. No problem passing either as long as I was over 65 or 70.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

opengl128 posted:

Eh? I had no issues just leaving it in sixth on the highway in my MS3. No problem passing either as long as I was over 65 or 70.

Agreed - I found it perfectly usable in 100km/h (60mp/h) zones

In that car I only used fifth in 70 or 80km/h zones, whereas my new 2016 3 is quite happy in fifth at 50-60km/h

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Nice thing about the turbo swap in the FiST is that boost doesn't really come in til 3500rpm...so cruising at 80 in 6th gear sips gas and I get better highway mpg.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

opengl128 posted:

On my '13 Speed3 on the highway in sixth it was possible to pass, but only at very slow rates. If I wanted to pass with alacrity I needed to drop down to fifth or fourth. The HPFP issue made me weary to ever push it too hard in sixth. I guess usable here means i could floor it, if I wanted to.

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice thing about the turbo swap in the FiST is that boost doesn't really come in til 3500rpm...so cruising at 80 in 6th gear sips gas and I get better highway mpg.

If there's one thing I miss about my Speed3 it's the way the turbo kicks in. The linear delivery of the GTI is nice, but the feeling of being kicked in at 3000 RPM is sweet.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 22, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Agreed. At least a solid 75% of the reason I want a bigger turbo in the Fiesta is for that sweet laggy turbo nonsense. The linearity is great for everyday driving but still.

It’s the reason I hated selling my CBR, my SV650 was way more useable day to day but there’s something to be said for having the poo poo hit the fan all at once.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone have a VW golf wagon? i see you can tune the 1.8 pretty well and also swap the gti or golf r turbo over. How strong are the 1.8tsi motors? A 230-270whp awd wagon manual sounds amazing. I might get one for our 4 door family car to be more child friendly than a veloster in the future. Debating that or a g70 if it comes with a stick on any engine option or honda accord sport (laff funny wheel drive).

Cars to juggle:
Veloster Turbo for autocross
350z in hibernation in garage without insurance 45k miles (track car?)
Silverado single cab long bed (replace with larger car and harbor freight trailer or keep?)
*need family vehicle
Honda Accord Sport
Genesis G70 if stick
VW golf wagon and be stupid
VW golf r
VW gti

I am looking for something that can seat two adults at 6'3" and 6'7" and my wife at 5'8" and a child or mix of two childs if 6'7" bil isn't with us. The veloster has the worst door for a backseat but the leg room is great. The headroom is where my wife gets back seat duties. Any insight on the golf wagon?

Tasmanian Tiger
Aug 19, 2013
Someone rear ended me and totaled my 2010 GTI last week. I loved it and planned to keep it for at least the next 5 years, but want to start from scratch and choose the best new car now.

I grinned like an idiot test driving both the FiST and the WRX (even though it's sadly not a hatchback anymore). For some reason the 2017 GTI just didn't do it for me - probably mostly because it wasn't MY car, so seemed a little off. I'm leaning toward the FiST because I have a pretty long commute and the WRX seems a little on the aggro side for daily driving. This will be the only car for me and my fiancé, or I might get a little two seater sports car with no storage space.

Strong feelings either way? Are either terrible to own? Did you buy one and wish you bought the other? Anything else I shouldn't miss?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I test drove the same set but swap an Nd Miata for the gti and wound up with the FiST. For me it came down to the fiesta being a lot cheaper than the wrx while equally fun and having a couple less annoyances. I don’t know if it’s changed since, but the stereo in the wrx (and other subarus) was so awful I know I would have wanted to replace it, I hated the throttle response, and I thought the shifter was annoyingly mushy. And the fiesta certainly isn’t perfect, but it’s so cheap and fun and none of its imperfections were dealbreakers for me. All that said, I think the wrx would wind up being more comfortable on a long commute and it’d for sure retain value better. Which is a good reason to think about a used fiesta.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just crossed 44,000 miles the other day and I still love my FiST. If you can deal with the size it's a great car. If you fit in the Recaros you probably want them, the normal seats do not have enough bolstering for the cornering forces this car can produce.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
When I bought my car this year I was debating on a FiST and WRX. I hadn't even considered a GTI until my wife persuaded me to at least try it. At first I was pretty sure I was going to get the FiST, it was small, quirky, and fun. However, the interior and comfort left a lot to be desired. Then my wife took a test drive with me in the passenger seat and absolutely hated how it rode. So the FiST got nixed off the list. The GTI was pretty much a perfect balance between what I needed in terms of comfort, power, and hatchback goodness. Right now I have a pretty average commute but I'm planning on switching over to traveling a bit more for work (200+ miles) and comfort was definitely one of my top priorities. While the WRX would have probably been alright in the comfort front, it would have been about 8-10k (26k OTD '17 GTI SE vs 36k OTD '18 WRX Premium) more than the GTI. If the WRX had been near the price of the GTI I probably would have sprung for that instead. Right now the 17' GTI SE manuals are going for around 26k OTD in the Northern Virginia area, granted it won't hold onto its value quite as well and it doesn't have AWD. But hey, love my hatchback.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Etrips posted:

Right now the 17' GTI SE manuals are going for around 26k OTD in the Northern Virginia area, granted it won't hold onto its value quite as well and it doesn't have AWD. But hey, love my hatchback.

I'm looking around for a Sport and having a tough time finding anything near that price. I saw one that was dirt cheap on autotrader near DC and they wanted to run my credit before they could even give me a price, to which I told them to gently caress off. Where did you buy yours? I'm in Detroit but would travel for a deal.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Larrymer posted:

I'm looking around for a Sport and having a tough time finding anything near that price. I saw one that was dirt cheap on autotrader near DC and they wanted to run my credit before they could even give me a price, to which I told them to gently caress off. Where did you buy yours? I'm in Detroit but would travel for a deal.

Look at Lindsay Volkswagen or Stohlman Volkswagen. If you want I can put you in contact with a sales guy that is in our local VDub group on facebook.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71U79TDHlTc

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

I'm just not getting the CTR. Go read the video description, they had to run the heat full blast to keep the Type-"R" from overheating, but it's got a 500w radio and satnav. I dunno, call it a EX-R, Si-R...something other than Type-R cause that ain't it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pretty sure that's how all of the new hot hatches, or even most new turbo performance cars, are on an actual track.

e: Can't forget the Corvette Z06.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 24, 2017

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Not exactly. For whatever reason the veloster has oversized cooling. The guy racing a built one now at big willow and button willow never really had issues with stock cooling on a tune. Hes now running a 330whp stuffed turbo but will ask if he upgraded the cooling yet. I think he has cts v brakes now.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

BlackMK4 posted:

Pretty sure that's how all of the new hot hatches, or even most new turbo performance cars, are on an actual track.

e: Can't forget the Corvette Z06.

Focus RS can rock the track all day. Ford actually shoved the biggest radiator they could fit into it, and it has cooling ducts for the front brakes. If the temperatures on the track are triple digit and your beating the poo poo out of it, you can sometimes get the rear drive unit to go into protect mode, but once it cools down it will continue on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Huge_Midget posted:

Focus RS can rock the track all day. Ford actually shoved the biggest radiator they could fit into it, and it has cooling ducts for the front brakes. If the temperatures on the track are triple digit and your beating the poo poo out of it, you can sometimes get the rear drive unit to go into protect mode, but once it cools down it will continue on.

That's funny, I've seen the rear diff and power steering both have issues in 20 minute sessions with local guys.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

BlackMK4 posted:

That's funny, I've seen the rear diff and power steering both have issues in 20 minute sessions with local guys.

Again, it's dependent on local conditions. Track temp, altitude, ambient temp, humidity, whether or not the course has long enough straights to allow for some airflow for cooling, skill of the driver, etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Huge_Midget posted:

Again, it's dependent on local conditions. Track temp, altitude, ambient temp, humidity, whether or not the course has long enough straights to allow for some airflow for cooling, skill of the driver, etc.

Yes.... which comes full circle to the point I was making about a lot of cars not taking track time real well in stock configuration.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
The ITR by contrast has so much cooling capacity that it's hard to get it to come up to temperature in cold weather. I drove mine across the state once @5' F and had to stop to shove cardboard in front of the radiator because the needle was refusing to come off "C", and it's never even hinted at overheating no matter the weather or how hard I've run it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, no matter how much we go on about "imagine if someone said we'd have [car with x hp or feature] ten years ago", we're never getting back to the bare bones ready to rock cars like the ITR. Safety, emissions, creature comforts that everyone but AI feels is superfluous, the list goes on. Saying "well this car here that's almost thirty years old did x much better" just isn't relevant.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It’s all part of the modern turbo car ownership experience. First changes are almost always cooling-related. Hence all the fiestas with modified crash bars :aaaaa:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

trouser chili posted:

The ITR by contrast has so much cooling capacity that it's hard to get it to come up to temperature in cold weather. I drove mine across the state once @5' F and had to stop to shove cardboard in front of the radiator because the needle was refusing to come off "C", and it's never even hinted at overheating no matter the weather or how hard I've run it.

That means you have a failed thermostat.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Yup! I had this happen multiple times to my SVT Focus.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Not necessarily. I have a car that does the same thing and the thermostat is perfectly fine. I can literally see the temperature gauge jump when the thermostat opens. In my case, it's a consequence of using the V8 radiator in the six-cylinder cars as well. My Dad told me every 60's I6 Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane and Comet had the issue.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Your engine is supposed to come up to temperature. You're not going to boil your coolant or burst your poo poo if it stays on the cold side, but engines are designed to run at a certain temp and if yours doesn't ever heat up enough, bad things can happen over time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

wallaka posted:

Not necessarily. I have a car that does the same thing and the thermostat is perfectly fine. I can literally see the temperature gauge jump when the thermostat opens. In my case, it's a consequence of using the V8 radiator in the six-cylinder cars as well. My Dad told me every 60's I6 Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane and Comet had the issue.

Not on a modern car with a stock cooling system like an ITR though

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Thought the same thing but it tested fine. Haven't driven it in winter on a road trip since swapping it so I dunno. Probably never encounter those conditions again.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Your engine is supposed to come up to temperature. You're not going to boil your coolant or burst your poo poo if it stays on the cold side, but engines are designed to run at a certain temp and if yours doesn't ever heat up enough, bad things can happen over time.

Yeah that ain't no poo poo. The car drank 2 quarts of oil between St. Louis and KC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

dissss posted:

Not on a modern car with a stock cooling system like an ITR though

Point taken.