Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shangri-Law School posted:

So, $12 is in Evil Centrist territory while $15 is in Righteous Liberal Progressive Leftist territory. What about $14.99?

$15 is too low. Adjusting the 1960 minimum wage for inflation and productivity it should be closer to $20. $15 is barely enough to survive if a politician doesn't even agree workers have a right to live, what good are they.

Anyway is there an ideological difference or not. You say there's not but then here you are battling to keep the working poor away from basic survival :shrug:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

$15 is too low. Adjusting the 1960 minimum wage for inflation and productivity it should be closer to $20. $15 is barely enough to survive if a politician doesn't even agree workers have a right to live, what good are they.

Anyway is there an ideological difference or not. You say there's not but then here you are battling to keep the working poor away from basic survival :shrug:

But $12 isn't the end goal, it's a waypoint. :confused:

It's not "Even if we can pass $15, stay at 12 anyway," it's "Try to get $15 or higher, but $12 would still be an accomplishment." For some people, $12 is their limit. But if you need one more vote, and the other guys want to repeal the minimum wage entirely, who are you going to go to for help?

Anyway, if $12 is "battling to keep the working poor away from basic survival," but $15 is also not high enough, doesn't it have the same problems as $12? You will always find enemies if you're looking for them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shangri-Law School posted:

But $12 isn't the end goal, it's a waypoint. :confused:

It's not "Even if we can pass $15, stay at 12 anyway," it's "Try to get $15 or higher, but $12 would still be an accomplishment." For some people, $12 is their limit. But if you need one more vote, and the other guys want to repeal the minimum wage entirely, who are you going to go to for help?

Anyway, if $12 is "battling to keep the working poor away from basic survival," but $15 is also not high enough, doesn't it have the same problems as $12? You will always find enemies if you're looking for them.

What people have been repeatedly saying to you is that asking for a quarter of what you want is a great way to get one eighth of what you want at best

Better to ask for what you actually want, and if you have to settle, settle then and you'll be settling for more.

Also Obamacare was also supposed to be a waypoint rather than an end goal, but then when someone suggested moving to the next step it was all "you want to destroy Obamacare and start over from scratch :argh:"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People aren't falling for "we simply have to do small steps, it's how government has to work sorry. Maybe your kids in 20 years will benefit :shrug:" anymore, especially as Trump burns down every political norm in plain sight.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

$12 an hour is still not enough for a decent standard of living, and if the minimum wage is raised to $12 we'll get nothing but "what, you want more minimum wage? We just raised it! Nothing is ever good enough for you people :cripes: :rolleyes: :ughh:" from the Shangri-Law Schools of the world for ten years

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I miss the good old days when hot takes and arguments in bad faith at least had ugly pictures and caricatures with them.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Radish posted:

People aren't falling for "we simply have to do small steps, it's how government has to work sorry. Maybe your kids in 20 years will benefit :shrug:" anymore, especially as Trump burns down every political norm in plain sight.

Destroying stuff is way easier than building it up, turns out. Businesses have to adapt to an increase in minimum wage but a decrease just means throwing that extra money straight into CEO pockets

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Hey guys we just ate the biggest amount of poo poo any presidential candidate has ever eaten and lost to Donald Trump. If we double down on what brought us to this point surely we wont eat poo poo again.

James Zogby has been with the DNC since 2001, FWIW

I do agree that the Dems should revolutionize their processes, which is why we should get rid of presidential caucuses and shun anyone who supports them.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 25, 2017

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

D.N. Nation posted:

James Zogby has been with the DNC since 2001, FWIW

So a 50-50 carried to that failing grade by this generations JFK.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

$12 an hour is still not enough for a decent standard of living, and if the minimum wage is raised to $12 we'll get nothing but "what, you want more minimum wage? We just raised it! Nothing is ever good enough for you people :cripes: :rolleyes: :ughh:" from the Shangri-Law Schools of the world for ten years

Well, it's a good thing Hillary lost then. 4 years of $7.25 an hour might be tough, but I'm sure that'll get my deeply-red state ready to demand full communism in 2020.

Seriously, if you prize ideology over everything, you get exactly the situation republicans are dealing with now, where they own every single branch of government but can't actually enact major legislation because no one is willing to work with anyone else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kit Walker posted:

Destroying stuff is way easier than building it up, turns out. Businesses have to adapt to an increase in minimum wage but a decrease just means throwing that extra money straight into CEO pockets

Literally the only thing stopping them from "adapting" to pay raises in the same way is they don't want to have less money in CEO pockets.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Emasculator posted:

Well, it's a good thing Hillary lost then. 4 years of $7.25 an hour might be tough, but I'm sure that'll get my deeply-red state ready to demand full communism in 2020.

Seriously, if you prize ideology over everything, you get exactly the situation republicans are dealing with now, where they own every single branch of government but can't actually enact major legislation because no one is willing to work with anyone else.

It's actually a bad thing Hillary lost, I'm just helping identify a key factor in how that happened

People don't trust the Democrats to actually help them, in large part because of the kind of politics she embodies

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Literally the only thing stopping them from "adapting" to pay raises in the same way is they don't want to have less money in CEO pockets.

Yeah, don't be like (spins the Wheel-O-Conservative-Idiots) Lester, who acts like paying fast food workers something better than feudal wages will result in $20 Big Macs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

Yeah, don't be like (spins the Wheel-O-Conservative-Idiots) Lester, who acts like paying fast food workers something better than feudal wages will result in $20 Big Macs.

Those poor corporations are just FORCED to overcharge the working class for their goods to stay in business. :cry: *CEO buys entire district in Dubai* If only the government didn't force them to pay their employees nearly half of a living wage!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Lurdiak posted:

Some companies run on small profit margins and jumping straight from, say, $7.25/hr to $15/hr couple really gently caress them over in a way that a gradual increase of a dollar every few months or so wouldn't.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I would say we have a pretty great test case in Seattle, but so far the conclusions are up for grabs:

Minimum wage hike bad!
No, but your mom is!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Some companies run on small profit margins and jumping straight from, say, $7.25/hr to $15/hr couple really gently caress them over in a way that a gradual increase of a dollar every few months or so wouldn't.

Minimum wage increases always work like that though; it's usually over the course of a few years

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Literally no one advocates for raising the minimum wage this quickly, and I think you know that. All minimum wage increases are done gradually.

Yes, doubling minimum wage overnight would cause major problems, which is why we don't do that.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

As others have said, its usually done over time. New York, for example, has passed $15/hr (for NYC and Long Island, anyway) but minimum wage won't actually shift to that $15/hr until 2019 (and not even for everyone in NYC until 2020): https://www.ny.gov/new-york-states-minimum-wage/new-york-states-minimum-wage

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
All these companies moving their headquarters or, in the case of amazon "second headquarters", to states where the minimum wage is the federal level is also something that gives a feather in the cap to the red states. i'm really surprised that one of the idiots hasn't made a sick burn off of all the companies moving from the "expensive" blue states to the states were human life is valued less. :v:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Axe-man posted:

All these companies moving their headquarters or, in the case of amazon "second headquarters", to states where the minimum wage is the federal level is also something that gives a feather in the cap to the red states. i'm really surprised that one of the idiots hasn't made a sick burn off of all the companies moving from the "expensive" blue states to the states were human life is valued less. :v:

I remember when Eric Allie drew this:

Right before this, and got really pissy when people joked at him that "shouldn't the Texas car be exploding."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's also just about optics.

If you have a visible and mobilized part of your base literally calling itself "Fight for 15" and then you go "How about 12? Doesn't that sound nice?" Why would that mobilized part of your base be excited about you?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Please take this democratic primary poo poo to the containment thread.

Xander77 posted:

Political Cartoons and articles 1917-1918
https://imgur.com/a/xG3bB

Thank you, this is awesome! Gonna send that microbe one to some collagues.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 25, 2017

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Emasculator posted:

This is what drives people up the wall about Democrats, the moment you criticize their tepid strategy that continues to fail to win elections they respond by blaming everyone but themselves. It wasn't idealistic white leftists that stayed home and cost Democrats the election, it was people impacted by the issues Democrats seem so eager to jump to compromise on who stayed home. If your messaging makes it seems like you aren't willing to fight to improve their lives people aren't going to go out of their way to vote for you. That's especially important considering all the hurdles to voting that have been put up precisely to achieve this. This isn't rocket science. You need to inspire people to support you and you aren't going to do that saying things like you think it should be $15 but prefer it be $12 because *long dispassionate rambling that people won't hear because they've already tuned out*.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/registered-voters-who-stayed-home-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Stiglich posted:

Turns out the Clinton Campaign funded the failed witch hunt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

This is what drives people up the wall about Democrats, the moment you criticize their tepid strategy that continues to fail to win elections they respond by blaming everyone but themselves. It wasn't idealistic white leftists that stayed home and cost Democrats the election, it was people impacted by the issues Democrats seem so eager to jump to compromise on who stayed home. If your messaging makes it seems like you aren't willing to fight to improve their lives people aren't going to go out of their way to vote for you. That's especially important considering all the hurdles to voting that have been put up precisely to achieve this. This isn't rocket science. You need to inspire people to support you and you aren't going to do that saying things like you think it should be $15 but prefer it be $12 because *long dispassionate rambling that people won't hear because they've already tuned out*.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/registered-voters-who-stayed-home-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/

Look man it's way more important to court voters who listen to rush limbaugh than to care about issues that your base is passionate about. People who have hated Hillary Clinton for 30 years and see her as nothing short of the embodiment of what they hate about liberals? Those are swing voters, my friend.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Look man it's way more important to court voters who listen to rush limbaugh than to care about issues that your base is passionate about. People who have hated Hillary Clinton for 30 years and see her as nothing short of the embodiment of what they hate about liberals? Those are swing voters, my friend.

Wait, so they shouldn't court leftists? :v:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

all we have to do to reach those suburban republicans is triangulate... just... a little... more...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

loquacius posted:

all we have to do to reach those suburban republicans is triangulate... just... a little... more...

*GOP shifts another 3000 miles to the right*

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hollywood has 5 RSOs.

Philadelphia has almost 3000.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Huh.

That's weird. I thought I was in the political cartoons thread, not... whatever this is.

Oh, I am? Okay. Here, have the Canadian political cartoon response to NAFTA talks.

First, an old one from when NAFTA was first signed.

And now, with Trump.

edit: fixed sizing

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

OMG that's the best! These cartoons are too good for this thread.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SwitchbladeKult posted:

OMG that's the best! These cartoons are too good for this thread.

I admit to not picking bad political cartoons so much as a random assortment. The can of worms one by Malcolm Mayes is the one in our local paper and the rest were online - one's from the Toronto Star, then the rest are just wherever.

I like Mayes' art, though frequently not his opinions, so I would have put him in anyway. I should do up a big effort post of his stuff when I have time, if people would be interested in it. Some of his opinions fit right in here! Others don't. He's based in Edmonton, and Alberta is basically Texas North in a lot of ways; it's on the conservative side, but Canadian conservative.

Edit:

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 25, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Prism posted:

I admit to not picking bad political cartoons so much as a random assortment. The can of worms one by Malcolm Mayes is the one in our local paper and the rest were online - one's from the Toronto Star, then the rest are just wherever.

I like Mayes' art, though frequently not his opinions, so I would have put him in anyway. I should do up a big effort post of his stuff when I have time, if people would be interested in it. Some of his opinions fit right in here! Others don't. He's based in Edmonton, and Alberta is basically Texas North in a lot of ways; it's on the conservative side, but Canadian conservative.

Edit:

For context on that last image

At the time those were the opposition leaders, Thomas Mulcair and (now PM) Justin Trudeau. They are celebrating the recession because that proved that Harper's record of economic goodtimes was BS.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

bunnyofdoom posted:

For context on that last image

At the time those were the opposition leaders, Thomas Mulcair and (now PM) Justin Trudeau. They are celebrating the recession because that proved that Harper's record of economic goodtimes was BS.

I thought it worked better without the context. The less Americans know about Canada, the better.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

By the way, look who Trump's looking back to, the moment of the world recognizing his greatest ever accomplishment of his miserable life. It isn't Melania, he's looking at the real love of his life right behind her. We were all just so captivated by the disappearing smile we missed it for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

• Locked thread