Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hamshot posted:

It's almost like they're first and foremost warriors and their sculpt is not tailored for your fetish desires :eyepop:
I would actually turn that around, and assert that their exaggerated leg-length, exaggerated high-heel boots, exposed midriffs, crazy-fly-away hair, and thigh-high gartered stockings are more tailored to fetishes and less towards, you know, actual combat. So no, they're not "first and foremost warriors."

EDIT: Also, if you're going to link to CB female sculpts, at least take half a second to show some of the good ones too:

Ilor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Signal posted:

It's not an objectification thing, I don't think. I kinda agree with Ilor in that the proportions seem a bit off for "human," not just for "female." Besides, you're defending a group of models wearing combat heels. ;p

I agree. They should have longer legs to shorter torsos, prettier faces, bound feet like my waifu narrower feet and more girly feminine realistic poses but I also think they shouldn't have high heels because I'm just so fuckin' progressive.

Ilor posted:

I would actually turn that around, and assert that their exaggerated leg-length, exaggerated high-heel boots, exposed midriffs, crazy-fly-away hair, and thigh-high gartered stockings are more tailored to fetishes and less towards, you know, actual combat. So no, they're not "first and foremost warriors."

Truly the pendulum has swung! You are in fact progressive and not an rear end in a top hat like the guy who earlier described them as having weird potato faces and looking ugly for women!

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 25, 2017

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Hamshot posted:

I agree. They should have longer legs to shorter torsos, prettier faces, bound feet like my waifu narrower feet and more girly feminine realistic poses but I also think they shouldn't have high heels because I'm just so fuckin' progressive.

Wow, you're a delight. More that the muscle bulk on their arms is nothing compared to their core, which doesn't seem appropriate for a bunch of people trained in hand to hand combat. I kinda love the skull-faces, and have no desire to see them be "prettier," but the hair is kinda stupid. I also don't like the design of most of the weapons, and the bare midriffs on everyone is ridiculous. I'm also not a big fan of GW's proportions in general though.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Signal posted:

Wow, you're a delight. More that the muscle bulk on their arms is nothing compared to their core, which doesn't seem appropriate for a bunch of people trained in hand to hand combat. I kinda love the skull-faces, and have no desire to see them be "prettier," but the hair is kinda stupid. I also don't like the design of most of the weapons, and the bare midriffs on everyone is ridiculous. I'm also not a big fan of GW's proportions in general though.

You could've just said "I don't like the aesthetic of GW models" and not wasted my time :shrug:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hamshot posted:

Truly the pendulum has swung! You are in fact progressive and not an rear end in a top hat like the guy who earlier described them as having weird potato faces and looking ugly for women!
Try again. I don't care if they're not Helen of Troy beauties, but I at least want the features to read as recognizably human. FWIW, half of GW's unhelmeted Space Marines have potato-faces too, it's not just limited to their women. Gwendoline Christie (the actress who portrays Brienne of Tarth in the GOT series) isn't a "classic beauty" in that role, but she's instantly recognizable as female. The aforementioned Ronda Rousey looks tough-as-gently caress, but you can tell she's both female and human at a glance. Both of those as models would have been vastly better than those Escher sculpts.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

Try again. I don't care if they're not Helen of Troy beauties, but I at least want the features to read as recognizably human. FWIW, half of GW's unhelmeted Space Marines have potato-faces too, it's not just limited to their women. Gwendoline Christie (the actress who portrays Brienne of Tarth in the GOT series) isn't a "classic beauty" in that role, but she's instantly recognizable as female. The aforementioned Ronda Rousey looks tough-as-gently caress, but you can tell she's both female and human at a glance.

If the goalposts have moved back and now its SUDDENLY the entire gw range why start on the first feminine models with some muscle on them and not said this about other models they've made? :thunk:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

*dies on the hill of female titty models, sexually* Bu...bury...me... Next to... My.... Waifu....

Kawaiiiiiiiiiiiii x_x

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Hamshot posted:

If the goalposts have moved back and now its SUDDENLY the entire gw range why start on the first feminine models with some muscle on them and not said this about other models they've made? :thunk:

Has GW even made any other female models since the 90's Sisters? In an era where other companies can make male and female models that read as human, why do you feel the need to defend to the death the idea that disliking these specific sculpts can only be ascribed to misogyny? How disproportionate would they have to be for you to acknowledge that they're not good sculpts?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hamshot posted:

Dude, I don't know if you've not been paying attention or you just joined or what, but I've been bitching about GW model proportions for literally years. I think the AoS minis are particularly egregious for bad proportions (like how the Stormstorming Stormstormers had ridiculously tiny heads if that ridiculous helmet crest is removed, or how all the Bloodmurder Murderblooders are almost wider than they are tall and have absurdly big feet). Pay your :10bux: to get search and look for yourself, I am not shy in my criticism. This is nothing new, so if you're just joining the party, welcome to GW's lovely sculpting.

FWIW, I've always thought the old Eschers were largely trash too, but then again I never particularly liked Goliath or Delaque either. Hope that helps. :shrug:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ooh, a twofer! Ok, lets start.

Signal posted:

Has GW even made any other female models since the 90's Sisters? In an era where other companies can make male and female models that read as human, why do you feel the need to defend to the death the idea that disliking these specific sculpts can only be ascribed to misogyny? How disproportionate would they have to be for you to acknowledge that they're not good sculpts?

You are not qualified to comment in this thread, or make broad sweeping generalizations about GW models, if you think they have not released female models since the 90's sisters. Please, :frogout:

Ilor posted:

Dude, I don't know if you've not been paying attention or you just joined or what, but I've been bitching about GW model proportions for literally years. I think the AoS minis are particularly egregious for bad proportions (like how the Stormstorming Stormstormers had ridiculously tiny heads if that ridiculous helmet crest is removed, or how all the Bloodmurder Murderblooders are almost wider than they are tall and have absurdly big feet). Pay your :10bux: to get search and look for yourself, I am not shy in my criticism. This is nothing new, so if you're just joining the party, welcome to GW's lovely sculpting.

FWIW, I've always thought the old Eschers were largely trash too, but then again I never particularly liked Goliath or Delaque either. Hope that helps. :shrug:

This is literally the first time I've heard a GW model being described as "weird and lumpy" and having a "potato face". You've stopped trying to defend those comments but have stuck to the "weird proportions" thing, I guess because that was the only thing in your original statement that could have been ambiguously interpreted despite it being bookended by comments about how they're not pretty enough.

And just fyi, using regdates as a way to win arguments hasn't worked since two years after i joined, which strangely enough is when you joined. Maybe I should tell you to...lurk more? WAIT let me find a place in my post to use that frog emoji...

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 25, 2017

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

This thread sucks

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I think the rest of the models look fine for sweaty muscle fightwomen, but their boots look awkwardly large and the kitten heels are stupid.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mad Donna Ulanti died for your sins.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hamshot posted:

This is literally the first time I've heard a GW model being described as "weird and lumpy" and having a "potato face".
Then pay closer attention, because I'm pretty sure those identical criticisms have come up before. Look, poo poo sculpting out of GW is nothing new. I'm sorry you seem to be late to the program, but that's not really my problem. I stand by my criticism of these particular Escher models as "not good" for all of the reasons previously stated. I'm in no way advocating cheesecake or objectification, quite the opposite, actually. If you don't understand that, I think that's a lack of reading comprehension on your part more than any kind of fetishist misogyny on mine, especially when I've explained from exactly where my criticisms stem and you've done little more than engage in this thread's equivalent of enraged honking.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Texmo posted:

I think the rest of the models look fine for sweaty muscle fightwomen, but their boots look awkwardly large and the kitten heels are stupid.

They make sense to me in that Escher are about presentation. Not sexually in this incarnation (originally they were straight from a 80's Madonna video), but still eye-catching appearance as a form of violence. Wearing slightly stylised boots to go to war in fits entirely with their fashion as aggression philosophy.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They make sense to me in that Escher are about presentation. Not sexually in this incarnation (originally they were straight from a 80's Madonna video), but still eye-catching appearance as a form of violence. Wearing slightly stylised boots to go to war in fits entirely with their fashion as aggression philosophy.

They’re also over the top 80s British punk fashion as gently caress, which is the Escher aesthetic.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm happy they kept the ridiculous 80s style for the Escher and Goliaths. The "armor" was stupid then and it's stupid now. I don't care. It's fun.

If the rule set is good and fun, I'm sure there will plenty of Cyberpunk Gangers from 3rd parties to choose from.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
The ridiculous 80s stuff really is the best part of the Warhammer universe.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Models look great. Weird paint style shown on the Studio minis is largely to blame for any weirdness IMO. Yes proportions are weird but these minis are stylised 80s punk hellscape warriors. Nobody mentioning the extreme style of the Goliaths?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not a huge fan of the models, but I think that's mostly because I don't like 80s Brit Punk. I don't much care for the Goliaths either for what it's worth. But of the classic models the only ones that really drew me in were Van Saar. I don't find them egregious as females though. I appreciate that the exposed midriffs are muscular and tastefully tapered as opposed to having giant hips and a teeny tiny waist. So that seems like progress. I love the skull paint though.

Oh and they're not absurdly busy. I could actually see myself painting one of these without losing my mind.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wow you guys shat up the last decent GW-related thread, :bravo:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Why are there 39 posts in the dead bloodbowl thre- oh.

I like the calavera make-up that I will never be able to paint, I like the bare midriff armor, I don't like the way said midriffs look girlfriend explained to me that that's how female athletes look with Serena Williams as a GIS example, the poses are kinda odd, I think the models are kinda busy, but I'm already set on buying NM when it comes out, and posting post human proxies as an unrealistic female proportions example is disingenuous when they're robits according to fluff, the only good GW female face is on Celestine, new Space Marines alway make the older ones look weird and plumpy...

There, I made my poop.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 25, 2017

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I dug out some of my NM minis last night while hunting for a particular mini - originals, 3rd party and conversions.

loving Hell I think the scale creep is going to be horrible. Still, it means the new batch won't be able to claim anything more than light cover :gitgud:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hard WYSIWYG mechanics balancing.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

glitchkrieg posted:

I dug out some of my NM minis last night while hunting for a particular mini - originals, 3rd party and conversions.

loving Hell I think the scale creep is going to be horrible. Still, it means the new batch won't be able to claim anything more than light cover :gitgud:

Obviously we need to reverse engineer our shrink ray to increase the size of all terrain by 20% and then old Necro minis won’t be able to see over the walls :science:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Bigger miniature = moar detail = better

If Perry's manage to sculpt all their poo poo without having four hands between two guys, GW shouldn't let their sculptors CAD either. The new SM superheavy tank is just lazy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
"Lazy" isn't a very good criticism on its own. Why is it lazy? It looks pretty cool to me. And there's nothing inherently wrong with CAD sculpting.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 25, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

"Lazy" isn't a very good criticism on its own. Why is it lazy? It looks pretty cool to me. And there's nothing inherently wrong with CAD sculpting.

The FW tank? No, that looks terrible and lazy. They took a bunch of existing CAD designs and cut them up and pasted them together in a very poor way. It's bad.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I think it looks awesome and massive and distinctively 'Primaris' with the stupid grav/hover bullshit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm so stupidly pumped for this. Models look great, but it's ok to just not like something as a matter of taste or preference.

I cannot wait to dump money into new plastic Orlocks. And give them GSC hybrid heads.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

The FW tank? No, that looks terrible and lazy. They took a bunch of existing CAD designs and cut them up and pasted them together in a very poor way. It's bad.

Yeah, it's a a Land raider front for the front and a bunch of land raider fronts for the sides. Maybe I'll grow to like it eventually, but every time I look at it, I see repurposed 3D modeling bits or some other stupid detail.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

JcDent posted:

I like the calavera make-up that I will never be able to paint, I like the bare midriff armor, I don't like the way said midriffs look girlfriend explained to me that that's how female athletes look with Serena Williams as a GIS example, the poses are kinda odd, I think the models are kinda busy, but I'm already set on buying NM when it comes out, and posting post human proxies as an unrealistic female proportions example is disingenuous when they're robits according to fluff, the only good GW female face is on Celestine, new Space Marines alway make the older ones look weird and plumpy...

There, I made my poop.

A good poop.

Each gang has gotta "pop" and these pop fairly well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ah, the classic "my opinion is in fact fact" goon approach.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's impressive that they made something completely inconsistent with the space marine aesthetic entirely out of recycled SM elements.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ijyt posted:

Ah, the classic "my opinion is in fact fact" goon approach.

They literally smashed together parts of other existing SM models, it's painfully obvious, and it's not an opinion to say so - it's an observation. If you like it, more power to you, but it is a legitimately bad model.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bonds0097 posted:

I think it looks awesome and massive and distinctively 'Primaris' with the stupid grav/hover bullshit.

I agree with you.

berzerkmonkey posted:

They literally smashed together parts of other existing SM models, it's painfully obvious, and it's not an opinion to say so - it's an observation. If you like it, more power to you, but it is a legitimately bad model.

And I disagree with you.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

And I disagree with you.
And that's fine. I'm not going to have a meltdown because you like a toy that I don't.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I take offence to your being reasonable.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I think it looks like poo poo, but I don't think it's anything to do with CAD or traditional sculpting. I think the Repulsor looks like a bad early 2000s dakka conversion as it is, and this is just that embiggened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

There, I made my poop.

lol
"this doesnt fit my vision of women"
*looks at a woman has to be shown what a woman looks like*
"...oh."

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 25, 2017