Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Why do people care whether something is cgi or a model/puppet. As long as it looks good, who cares how the magic works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

starkebn posted:

Why do people care whether something is cgi or a model/puppet. As long as it looks good, who cares how the magic works?

Fetishization.

It’s a badge of honor to do it with practical effects. A dumb one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

starkebn posted:

The sound of a rubber puppet is much warmer.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

starkebn posted:

Basically that CGI looks worse than puppets and fully CGI sets/characters make it harder for actors, although CGI's finally getting good enough at this point that it looks completely real and the first point doesn't hold up.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Anyway has anyone seen that compilation of Mark Hamill casually making GBS threads on episode 8 across a bunch of different interviews? I think he's finally reaching that age where you lose all shame and it's great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

starkebn posted:

Because practical effects rule and take a ton of effort to get right on the set. Doesn't mean all CGI doesn't, but after watching films where people hurl CGI at you with things that could've been practical, it's a breath of fresh air.

The best way to do it is to marry the two. Use both tools to create the perfect effect.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyway has anyone seen that compilation of Mark Hamill casually making GBS threads on episode 8 across a bunch of different interviews? I think he's finally reaching that age where you lose all shame and it's great.

What's the TL;DR?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the TL;DR?

Over the summer, Hamill said that when he first read the script, he then called Johnson and said, "I fundamentally disagree with everything you've done with this character."

A week or two later, presumably after Disney threatened a hit on his family, he walked it back and said, "Oh, once Rian and I talked about it and he explained everything, I understood. The movie is great, everyone will love it."

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Timby posted:

Over the summer, Hamill said that when he first read the script, he then called Johnson and said, "I fundamentally disagree with everything you've done with this character."

A week or two later, presumably after Disney threatened a hit on his family, he walked it back and said, "Oh, once Rian and I talked about it and he explained everything, I understood. The movie is great, everyone will love it."

And that's how Art gets made, kids!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timby posted:

That's great. If Johnson wrote a script that pissed off Mark Hamill, I'd consider it a good thing.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Luke turns to the Dark Side confirmed.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's great. If Johnson wrote a script that pissed off Mark Hamill, I'd consider it a good thing.

Yeah, considering this is the guy who thought it’d be a novel idea for Luke to turn dark at the end of RotJ (even going so far to suggest that Luke don Vader’s helmet to signify that) it’s probably a good thing that Rian wrote something that conflicts with his idealized version of the character.

Remember, actors having creative control isn’t always something to strive for, that’s how we got dune buggy Picard in Star Trek Nemesis. :gonk:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mark has followed up by saying that he's not a writer, and that his ideas for Luke in TFA were also dumb.

The porgs are gonna be puppets sometimes and CG sometimes. As I recall, the fully rolling RC BB8 was finally completed and working at the end of filming so that video clip from Celebration is more or less its debut, but they said they were going to use it where possible in VIII

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah dude we've all seen it so don't bother posting a link or anything, it's cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

[quote="Cross-Section" post=""477724024"]

Remember, actors having creative control isn’t always something to strive for, that’s how we got dune buggy Picard in Star Trek Nemesis. :gonk:
[/quote]

Stewart's creative control was at its peak on First Contact and especially Insurrection.

Nemesis is on Brent Spiner, as he demanded the same level of control Stewart had on Insurrection as a condition for doing the movie.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Yeah dude we've all seen it so don't bother posting a link or anything, it's cool.

In all fairness there are like 5 star wars threads on SA and it's been posted in a couple of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw0IR6fJlV0

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I like it. He's got absolute job security so he can say whatever the hell he wants and he's clearly invested in the story enough to say what he doesn't like.

I'd much prefer this than watching actors squirm in interviews trying to talk about the complexities of the characters or story when often it isn't there.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah he's basically the senior-most professor in the department that has had tenure for years and always finds a couple minutes at meetings to sardonically but uselessly comment on the subject at hand

edit: you definitely get the feeling that as the last member of the Big 3 he feels entitled/obligated to represent the original generation and also channel to sass of Harrison and Carrie

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 25, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mameluke posted:

In 15 years we'll be effortposting on r/cinemadiscusso about how most actual 12 year old Star Wars fans like Porgs, and it's only jaded neckbeard fans of the prequels that hate them.

It's true. 8 year olds already fuckin love Porgs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They’re the adult form of midichlorians

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cross-Section posted:

Literally the only interesting part of that movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The negative reaction to Porgs is pretty surprising. We have no idea how involved in the movie they are, at this point. I think it's highly likely they're just cute little animals that show up here and there, and marketing is running with it because they're cute. Like, unless they end up being the key to bringing down Snoke, who could possibly give a poo poo in a negative way right now?

People hating on Ewoks is already silly, but at least they're angry at them being integral to the plot, bringing down the Empire, which is at least a thing. With Porgs, there's nothing to be mad about yet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Porgs aren't going to be Jar Jar. They don't speak, for one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

The negative reaction to Porgs is pretty surprising. We have no idea how involved in the movie they are, at this point. I think it's highly likely they're just cute little animals that show up here and there, and marketing is running with it because they're cute. Like, unless they end up being the key to bringing down Snoke, who could possibly give a poo poo in a negative way right now?

People hating on Ewoks is already silly, but at least they're angry at them being integral to the plot, bringing down the Empire, which is at least a thing. With Porgs, there's nothing to be mad about yet.

Ewoks are cool because they fuckin killed people.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

theyre ugly

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

cuntman.net posted:

theyre ugly

don't make them less cute

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Mark Hamill believes that Chris "Wing Commander and Star Citizen" Roberts is a talented storyteller and likes working with him so maybe his opinions on Episode 8 aren't automatically correct.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

thrawn527 posted:

People hating on Ewoks is already silly, but at least they're angry at them being integral to the plot, bringing down the Empire, which is at least a thing.

Haha no, the hate has always been because they're cute muppets.
You know, for kids!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Stupid people thinking Star Wars should be for kids

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

although CGI's finally getting good enough at this point that it looks completely real and the first point doesn't hold up.

They've said that since there's been CGI and it still looks wrong.

How much money did they spend on CGI Tarkin in R1? lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

spacetoaster posted:

They've said that since there's been CGI and it still looks wrong.

How much money did they spend on CGI Tarkin in R1? lol

Either too much or not enough.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

it's weird that you think it's just a happy accident that marketing is rolling with the fact that tlj has new very cute and marketable mascots

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

cuntman.net posted:

theyre ugly

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

How I learned to stop worrying and love the porg.
:3:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ewoks are cool because they fuckin killed people.

The best part of RotJ is when they launch their surprise attack and arrow a storm trooper right in the back and you see him lying there dead.

Ewoks are not cute. If you saw one in real life with its gross matted fur and bone jewelry you prob think it had rabies and kick it in the face and run away.

Tl;dr ewoks rule

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

thrawn527 posted:

Well yeah, this is kind of why people are soured on them and do the faux-Porg worship (except me, I actually love Porgs).

They got revealed early on, I think in a behind the scenes clip, and they're so obviously created to be something cute and marketable. They are perhaps the most transparent part of Star Wars so far that exists solely, to borrow words from the best wiki on the Internet, To Sell Toys.

Star Wars has always been a vehicle to sell toys and make money from tie-in merch crap, but Porgs are absolutely the most obvious attempt to do so and everything about them reeks of a calculated plan to do so, at that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Porg is a funnier character than we've done before

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lucas made ewoks because he wanted to have the Viet Cong fight the Evil Empire. And they don't do as good a job as everyone remembers, they get several fun/cool kills in but they just as often get smushed. Chewie commandeering a walker is the only way the fight is able to wrap.

The franchise fatigue is coming from inside the movie in Return of the Jedi. Also the matte paintings are bizarrely noticeable. When Disney announced an Episode every two years I wondered if that was enough time for one of these movies to percolate, but honestly, it's probably better than forcing all these kids to commit for a few more years and just be absolutely over it, visibly looking toward their next projects off camera in the final film.

If that trailer porg is a stowaway that ends up hanging out with Chewie for the final act of the film everyone is gonna be mad as heck

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

banned from Starbucks posted:

The best part of RotJ is when they launch their surprise attack and arrow a storm trooper right in the back and you see him lying there dead.

Ewoks are not cute. If you saw one in real life with its gross matted fur and bone jewelry you prob think it had rabies and kick it in the face and run away.

Tl;dr ewoks rule

There's definitely something to the idea that people hate Ewoks and Jar Jar and so on because they're intolerable and it's not 'supposed to be' like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I liked Ewoks when I was a kid. I didn't know I was supposed to hate them until I became a man.

• Locked thread