Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Aquarena Springs closed ages ago, I thought. Like the late 80s or maybe 90s or some poo poo. I remember going when I was a wean though.

It was closed for a long time, but they recently re-opened it. They don't do the underwater show anymore but they do have glass bottom boats.

However, the best thing to do is scuba dive. The water is crystal clear, the aquatic life numerous, and you used to be able to swim around all the hoops and stuff from the old underwater show (looks like they've removed that since I've been). Probably the best diving in central Texas.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I've lived in and around Austin for 20 years now and I've never been to San Marcos.

Yeah but you’re boring.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

My Face When posted:

Donald Trump Jr. is coming to the UNT campus to speak on the 24th or 25th. Can't remember. Local papers are not allowed in (of course).

I wonder if I should protest...

Isn't he going to some other place in Dallas, specifically to avoid the protests?

EDIT: yeah its at ATT stadium

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

JosefStalinator posted:

Isn't he going to some other place in Dallas, specifically to avoid the protests?

EDIT: yeah its at ATT stadium

Good. We don't want him around here.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

My Face When posted:

Good. We don't want him around here.

What is the source for your av?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

It's an edit of a Kelly with the infamous Garrison Obama.

https://www.theonion.com/painful-procedural-1819592076

I've seen four other iterations of edits, so I've been meaning to change it to something else. The only thing that has spoken to me in the Pol Cartoon thread though is Pope's Tony Abbott. It'd be weird for me to have it though, since I'm not an Aussie though.

Edit: Screwed up my ugly cartoonists. I'm 75 percent certain that's a McCoy Obama.

Edit2: Okay, nevermind. It was Garrison's. They all kind of mesh together now a days. The visceral hate...

https://grrrgraphics.com/what-about-obama/

My Face When fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 21, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SurvivorHealer/status/921948054147817472

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Travis Co. DA just dropped all charges against Dawnna Dukes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Travis Co. DA just dropped all charges against Dawnna Dukes

This poo poo is so dumb I swear to god. She's going to die before she quits or even gets beaten in a primary.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The House never loving bothered to actually write down any rules requiring them to do their job or even show up

:psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe the check on that particular behavior is supposed to be voters

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New library looks extremely Austin. It'll be the sole domain of 65 year old women with long stringy grey hair who shop exclusively at coops and oppose flouride I imagine.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
What a gorgeous building. Rooftop butterfly garden is also great. But, like... Why spend so much money on the most obsolete type of building imaginable?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

What a gorgeous building. Rooftop butterfly garden is also great. But, like... Why spend so much money on the most obsolete type of building imaginable?

Libraries aren't obsolete they're just changing. Libraries do more than lend books, they let people access computers and the internet, lend multimedia and provide a space for community engagement like children reading services. This new library will have 3D printers, computerized sowing machines and other tools to share. Knowing Austin I bet a few startups end up officing out of it to save costs.

Also the land was previously an old water treatment plant smack dab in the middle of downtown so it's a better use anyway.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Libraries aren't obsolete they're just changing. Libraries do more than lend books, they let people access computers and the internet, lend multimedia and provide a space for community engagement like children reading services. This new library will have 3D printers, computerized sowing machines and other tools to share. Knowing Austin I bet a few startups end up officing out of it to save costs.

Also the land was previously an old water treatment plant smack dab in the middle of downtown so it's a better use anyway.

All good things. I am stoked for this then. Maybe I just want us to have a better word than "Library" to encompass those. Library to me means a place that lends books, and dedicating pretty much any money to the purchase and maintenance of physical (non-historically-significant) books is a waste of money to me.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Doom Rooster posted:

All good things. I am stoked for this then. Maybe I just want us to have a better word than "Library" to encompass those. Library to me means a place that lends books, and dedicating pretty much any money to the purchase and maintenance of physical (non-historically-significant) books is a waste of money to me.

People do still read physical books. That said, this does strike me as more of a community center.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

zoux posted:

New library looks extremely Austin. It'll be the sole domain of 65 year old women with long stringy grey hair who shop exclusively at coops and oppose flouride I imagine.

Certainly better than the brutalist libraries that university campuses have a hard-on for.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

Doom Rooster posted:

A library has always been a center for community information, education, and enrichment. I have no idea how you detach the public perception of card catalogs and physical media when that hasn't been the case for decades, but I kinda doubt changing the name is the answer.

halokiller posted:

Certainly better than the brutalist libraries that university campuses have a hard-on for.

Public and Academic libraries serve different purposes. Please don't bring your adult literacy group to the dissertation prison.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also reminder that early voting started this week. 7 constitutional amendments and I know at least Austin and Houston have some bonds to vote on too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Nthing libraries as community centers. I worked in a university library (open to the public) and it's remarkable how many visitors go to the library when they need answers on, well, anything. Google's changed that somewhat, but there's still a shitton of people who either lack the ability or the confidence to use it. Also, sometimes it just feels better to get an answer from a live, present person.

isk fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 25, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Open the blood gates
https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/923207330908565504

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

e:fb by mere seconds

I'm sure the House will select a reasonable and level-headed replacement right? :rip:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope, get ready for Speaker Matt Schaefer.

Like, I cannot state what a conservative red meat feeding frenzy the next session is going to be, unless there's some massive wave that crushes the GOP majority (there won't be). It's going to suuuuuuck

Byron Cook not seeking reelection either. He's the House State Affairs chair who wouldn't even hold a hearing on the bathroom bill. He and Strauss were Empower Texas' top targets. This is very not good.

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/923209334649245697

Strauss had already filed paperwork to run for speaker next session so something must have happened recently. I know we're all "gently caress every single republican ever" here but in Texas you do not want to see moderate Republicans replaced with the type of right wing pols we have here. There is a deep, deep disease within the American political system where you are seeing moderates quit politics at every level.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 25, 2017

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

zoux posted:

Nope, get ready for Speaker Matt Schaefer.

Like, I cannot state what a conservative red meat feeding frenzy the next session is going to be, unless there's some massive wave that crushes the GOP majority (there won't be). It's going to suuuuuuck

Byron Cook not seeking reelection either. He's the House State Affairs chair who wouldn't even hold a hearing on the bathroom bill. He and Strauss were Empower Texas' top targets. This is very not good.

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/923209334649245697

Strauss had already filed paperwork to run for speaker next session so something must have happened recently. I know we're all "gently caress every single republican ever" here but in Texas you do not want to see moderate Republicans replaced with the type of right wing pols we have here. There is a deep, deep disease within the American political system where you are seeing moderates quit politics at every level.

There's not room to be moderate in the Trump era him and his supporters make that impossible but yeah get ready for some vile poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't understand how literally the worst people in the world keep winning

https://twitter.com/cassi_pollock/status/923215943374909440
Like dominoes.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 25, 2017

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Christ, I need to get out of this state ASAP before they start implementing laws that make it illegal to be trans. Now I am really glad that I had my name and gender marker changed on all my docs, and had the court case sealed earlier this year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Presser forthcoming
https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/923218546750054405

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'll see how this plays out, but if it turns into some stupid rear end Kansas situation I'll probably move and transfer to my jobs HQ in the Atlanta area. Not that Georgia is much better

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Listening to this press conference, I'd say it's more likely than not that he wants to run for Gov/Lt. Gov

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Listening to this press conference, I'd say it's more likely than not that he wants to run for Gov/Lt. Gov

Going to have to seriously consider voting in the Republican primary if he does, unless there’s something actually interesting on the other side.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

This is what I'm hoping but man oh man is that some high stakes we're playing. If something doesn't give here, we just sealed our fate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say this: the two "worst" bills that got major ink probably wouldn't have done very much on a practical level and were more symbolic bills, in my opinion. The bathroom bill was execrable but it wasn't going to lead to increased persecution of trans Texans; that was accomplished with the introduction of the issue. It was completely unenforceable, it was more a statement of "we don't believe transgender individuals are a real thing." I'm not sure it'll be back next session, Patrick got everything he wanted out of it already. Same with the sanctuary city bill, it basically just reaffirmed existing law (except the detainer stuff, which again was already being mostly followed) and again was mostly a formal statement of "we don't like Latinos".

So, while these bills were top-to-bottom hateful, misguided, ineffective, bad policy, and every other bad thing you can say about a law, in terms of affecting peoples day-to-day life, we'll have to see. It's unquestionable that they added to a culture of hard-right reactionary rhetoric and public sentiment, but as is demonstrated with the bathroom bill, they don't need to become law to do that.

I definitely have an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach about all this but hopefully, like Trump winning, it won't turn out as bad as we feared initially. Maybe they'll be exposed as frauds completely unable to govern in the absence of a shared enemy. Or maybe it'll be way worse.

https://twitter.com/jayleeson/status/923224761341284352

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 25, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

zoux posted:

Maybe they'll be exposed as frauds completely unable to govern in the absence of a shared enemy.

Isn't that already true of Abbot/Paxton?

I mean, they're slightly more competent than Trump, but only just.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's more true that they basically got everything they wanted/could get years ago and are increasingly searching for red meat to throw to the base.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

It's more true that they basically got everything they wanted/could get years ago and are increasingly searching for red meat to throw to the base.

And of course they made their crazy boastful promises with the expectation that there would be a Hillary White House there to blame for blocking them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

And of course they made their crazy boastful promises with the expectation that there would be a Hillary White House there to blame for blocking them.

Yeah that was actually what was going on with the bathroom bill, imo. They just didn't want to admit that they were trying to oppose DC again rather than pass the policy for its own merits.

https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/923229517480628224
Uh huh. Sure.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Texas Speaker Jonathan Stickland.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
in the absence of anything resembling a cohesive Democrat Party he's probably the most viable 'left leaning' candidate we're going to get in the next 20 years

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

Can't wait for Texas Speaker Jonathan Stickland.

Nah, no one likes him. It'll be Schaefer or Leach if it's from the dipshit caucus.

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/923235292244578307

Zerwas is similar to Strauss and also brutally owned Briscoe Cain so hard during the budget debate Texas Monthly broke its no-freshman rule and put him on the 10 worst. He's the current chair of Appropriations so he's definitely got the juice to win.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not sure which would be worse, Speaker Schaefer or Speaker Cain :gonk:

And yeah I'm reminded that we do have open primaries and I'd vote for Straus in the R primary if he ran