Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s fine to get six big balloons for Valentine’s, but dammit take them home inhale the gas and make prank calls to your colleagues within a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Someone has a mylar T-Rex that's been on her desk for like a month now.

In their defense I would keep a Mylar t-Rex for as long as I could if I had one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Wait until it fossilizes

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The only downside to having a T-Rex would be the negative connotations of "dinosaur".

Otherwise, giant dinos everywhere!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Don’t those jobs have lots of openings as they have trouble finding people who can pass the drug tests? Not knocking your field, I just saw something about that in the news.

Metal caster here. The trouble is finding people who will work at a physically demanding job in a brutal environment for $9 an hour. Of course they couldn't pass a drug test.

The way you handle the drug test and background check is, you use a temp agency and they handle the drug test and background check and if something too far out of bounds happens, you act surprised.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Don’t those jobs have lots of openings as they have trouble finding people who can pass the drug tests? Not knocking your field, I just saw something about that in the news.

This true, its also popular with people on prison work release. Imagine literally having to clean the burning sand/plastic mixture off of red hot metal parts and yeah, youre gonna want something at the end of the day knowing youll be doing that again tomorrow.

Fortunately i work in the ivory tower (for most of the time) of the foundry world, running simulations and looking at tooling cad to make sure parts come out right. It is genuinely satisfying to walk in to a place, tell them what changes to make, and watch productivity and quality of actual physical goods sky rocket. On the other hand, my current boss straight up ignored my request for him to talk to HR for a raise after i picked up my engineering license, and also my reminder a month later. Also the time i was asked to smuggle stuff across international borders without any kind of paper work (not drugs.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Metal caster here. The trouble is finding people who will work at a physically demanding job in a brutal environment for $9 an hour. Of course they couldn't pass a drug test.

The way you handle the drug test and background check is, you use a temp agency and they handle the drug test and background check and if something too far out of bounds happens, you act surprised.

Sadly true on both of these lines. :( It's like that article that went around where a guy was bemoaning the lack of welders.*

*Welders willing to work for $13 an hour without benefits, off-union, in loving middle of nowhere

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Metal caster here.

Hello fellow metal casting goon, i knew i couldnt be the only one. Are you a plant or corporate guy?

The level of animosity between plants and corporate engineering is amazingly deep in my experience. At a professional conference, one plant guy put up a slide showing a death star labeled corporate, and the rebel bases with plant names. This was a highly professional person, at a public trade show, knowing the slides would be distributed after, and also knowing corporate would be in the audience. Ill see if i can find a copy to post later.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
There is never a "labour shortage"—it is always a "wage shortage".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

The only downside to having a T-Rex would be the negative connotations of "dinosaur".

Otherwise, giant dinos everywhere!

But it is a MYLAR T-Rex so it is HIGH TECH!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Weatherman posted:

There is never a "labour shortage"—it is always a "wage shortage".

The only historical "labor shortage" was the immediate aftermath of the Black Death in western Europe, which resulted in the rise of trade guilds.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Tnuctip posted:

Hello fellow metal casting goon, i knew i couldnt be the only one. Are you a plant or corporate guy?

The level of animosity between plants and corporate engineering is amazingly deep in my experience. At a professional conference, one plant guy put up a slide showing a death star labeled corporate, and the rebel bases with plant names. This was a highly professional person, at a public trade show, knowing the slides would be distributed after, and also knowing corporate would be in the audience. Ill see if i can find a copy to post later.

Die caster with one plant so not really a corporate/plant divide, but I probably divide my time about 80/20 between shop and office. Part of that's because I'm avoidant and hate paperwork though.

If you are in the industry you can probably tell where I am from the 3 or so work anecdotes in my post history because like I think you said before, dying industry. I mean, "die caster" narrows it down to like 10 places. Most likely I know somebody who knows you.

Also I've had many of the same thoughts that you have except I'm younger than you I think. The industry is definitely shrinking and the work is long term headed overseas. BUT almost all of our competitors have gone out of business and right now the company prints money. I'm pretty well paid and don't hate my job but I have serious worries that the place I'm at won't be there in 15 years and when I'm 50 and looking for a job 20 years die casting experience will be about as useful as 20 years of coopering.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm imagining a future of lost tech where the knowledge and skill to make things was lost because of automation.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Sundae posted:

Sadly true on both of these lines. :( It's like that article that went around where a guy was bemoaning the lack of welders.*

*Welders willing to work for $13 an hour without benefits, off-union, in loving middle of nowhere

I missed this before. Setting aside the macro problem. Modern welders are as far as I can tell legitimately bad overall. Probably they're still good in the navy or something. But find something hand welded from 1970 and something from the last 10 years and I can almost guarantee the modern thing will look like it was done by a kindergartener.

I cannot weld myself but am a bit of a connoisseur.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Star Man posted:

I'm imagining a future of lost tech where the knowledge and skill to make things was lost because of automation.

This is already happening in the field of nuclear power, since people aren't building new plants and some of the knowledge is both very complex and highly classified. It's hard to preserve scientific knowledge when you can't have open discourse.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sundae posted:

Listened to something on npr a while back where some lady was bitching and moaning about how hard it was to find someone who is willing to drive a truck and can also pass a drug test, during which she flat out said that they don't pay enough and said something about how paying decently would make the company ~ * uncompetitive in the market * ~

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shugojin posted:

Listened to something on npr a while back where some lady was bitching and moaning about how hard it was to find someone who is willing to drive a truck and can also pass a drug test, during which she flat out said that they don't pay enough and said something about how paying decently would make the company ~ * uncompetitive in the market * ~

:thunk:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's a legit labour shortage brewing in Quebec right now though. McD in some areas are offering 15$/hr starting and can't find workers, apparently.

It's gonna be funny.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
guillotine.jpg

:colbert:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FrozenVent posted:

There's a legit labour shortage brewing in Quebec right now though. McD in some areas are offering 15$/hr starting and can't find workers, apparently.

It's gonna be funny.

Same thing is happening around here, in Minneapolis/St Paul. Every fast food place has giant signs hanging outside - "NOW HIRING IMMEDIATELY!"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah

Of course being NPR they were framing it into some struggles of the rust belt narrative

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's the same in Nowheresville PA where I live. I've gone in and talked to various managers/franchise operators and it's all the same story: minimum wage has fallen so far below living wage that the bullshit that comes along with those bottom-of-the-barrel jobs isn't worth putting up with. It's the difference between being unemployed and unable to pay bills, and putting up with rude customers, absent/lazy/crazy coworkers, and rear end in a top hat bosses and... still unable to pay bills. Why bother?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's the same in Nowheresville PA where I live. I've gone in and talked to various managers/franchise operators and it's all the same story: minimum wage has fallen so far below living wage that the bullshit that comes along with those bottom-of-the-barrel jobs isn't worth putting up with. It's the difference between being unemployed and unable to pay bills, and putting up with rude customers, absent/lazy/crazy coworkers, and rear end in a top hat bosses and... still unable to pay bills. Why bother?

mumble mumble mumble something something bootstraps

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Eric the Mauve posted:

Minimum wage debate aside, current government assistance programs are pretty regressively set up to income levels, where total cash/benefits can fall once you start working. Brilliant! I wonder why so many people dont want to come off the dole :doh:

Also in corporate news, GE announced a new incentive structure for their executives thats even more short term focused than it has been in recent years, because this will be good for long run health of the firm something something underpants gnomes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Star Man posted:

People have imagined that for about a century.

Konstantin posted:

This is already happening in the field of nuclear power, since people aren't building new plants and some of the knowledge is both very complex and highly classified. It's hard to preserve scientific knowledge when you can't have open discourse.

As I recall, space travel, too. We literally forgot how to build some of our earlier equipment so we've had to reinvent it.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I missed this before. Setting aside the macro problem. Modern welders are as far as I can tell legitimately bad overall. Probably they're still good in the navy or something. But find something hand welded from 1970 and something from the last 10 years and I can almost guarantee the modern thing will look like it was done by a kindergartener.

I can barely weld to save my life but not good by any means. Also if youre seeing something hand welded made since 2000, odds are good it was done in china. Your point though is still valid, Tesla had an undercarriage frame on display at THE auto show a few years ago. My old man took a look, said he would never buy one because he couldnt believe that theyd put such lovely welds on display.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Volmarias posted:

People have imagined that for about a century.

As I recall, space travel, too. We literally forgot how to build some of our earlier equipment so we've had to reinvent it.

Also trains. Made by the same company, at the same plant, only 20 years ago because no one loving bothered to write down properly how they did it. Its a miracle we arent living in caves and saving up for model year 2018 spear heads.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Star Man posted:

I know this is the corporate thread, and not the IT thread, but I sometimes get asked by people new to the field for career advice. I sometimes suggest that if they're in it just for the money, that they consider learning RPG and AS/400. It's the backbone of a lot of logistics systems and the median age for RPG programmers has got to be 60-70 years old. If you're a 45 year old guy making a career change to support your family, you're gonna be a fresh youngster in the world of RPG.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I know this is the corporate thread, and not the IT thread, but I sometimes get asked by people new to the field for career advice. I sometimes suggest that if they're in it just for the money, that they consider learning RPG and AS/400. It's the backbone of a lot of logistics systems and the median age for RPG programmers has got to be 60-70 years old. If you're a 45 year old guy making a career change to support your family, you're gonna be a fresh youngster in the world of RPG.

Mind if I PM you about this more I'm thinking of jumping into IT and this might be a niche worth looking into.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Mind if I PM you about this more I'm thinking of jumping into IT and this might be a niche worth looking into.

Sure, but I really don't have much to say on the subject.
It's an IBM operating system. It's not obsolete, it's extremely modern. The current version is compatible with 128 bit CPU architecture. You might be wondering why, when no 128 bit CPUs exist. AS/400 is designed so that you have to upgrade once every generation or so.

This article might be useful: http://ibmsystemsmag.com/blogs/idevelop/may-2016/future-ibm-i-jobs--who-will-fill-them-/

Here are some guides on the system:
http://go4as400.com/chapterload.aspx?cid=1

And I haven't played with this, but apparently you can log into a public AS/400 instance here: http://pub400.com/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

mumble mumble mumble something something bootstraps

I was about to make a post bitching about how I have to work two jobs if I want to have any sort of savings, and then I remembered that my office mate (who has the same job I do) also has another job apart from this one :lol:

He joked that if I ever left before they hired a new manager for us he would also quit, hopefully I will get a chance to test his sincerity.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I wonder how much modern welders make these days compared to what they made in the 1970s, including benefits if any. I'm betting there's a correlation with your observations. :haw:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Raise chat was a couple pages back, but once I got a ~1.5% raise while working through a contract house that they negotiated with the company I was at, a few months later I quit but they offered to beat the salary of the place I was moving to which ended giving me a 35% raise. The contract house had the nerve to send me a snarky email about how I work for them and how they should be handling the negotiations.

Of course a few weeks after getting the big raise I was fired under questionable circumstances and it ended up being the best thing to ever happen to me, career-wise.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

dxt posted:

Raise chat was a couple pages back, but once I got a ~1.5% raise while working through a contract house that they negotiated with the company I was at, a few months later I quit but they offered to beat the salary of the place I was moving to which ended giving me a 35% raise. The contract house had the nerve to send me a snarky email about how I work for them and how they should be handling the negotiations.

Of course a few weeks after getting the big raise I was fired under questionable circumstances and it ended up being the best thing to ever happen to me, career-wise.

Did company X fire you after you quit contract house, im having a hard time parsing this. If yes, do you think contract house somehow managed to have X fire you? I would assume they had no leverage over you after you quit.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Tnuctip posted:

Also trains. Made by the same company, at the same plant, only 20 years ago because no one loving bothered to write down properly how they did it. Its a miracle we arent living in caves and saving up for model year 2018 spear heads.

I totally disagree that automation is to blame here. I have done some minor industrial automation before (interned with GE Transportation in Erie, PA), and I really think that automation is the exact opposite of what makes us forget how to build things.

Automation is a formalization of what you said here - it's a fancy way of "writing down properly how you did it". We forget how to do things when we stop doing them - when we stop building a particular kind of train, or a particular spaceship part, or some design of a nuclear power plants, or new financial systems in Fortran, and so on.

Automation isn't perfect, and it is possible to imagine an organization forgetting how automated production lines work - a partially or mostly automated plant that sits unused for twenty years is probably not going to be substantially easier to restart than a non-automated one - but while it's running, automation preserves in extremely precise terms the answers to the questions of what you did and how you did it.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Here's a great article about the experience of automating a factory. It really gives you a sense for what automation does in small industries today. It's less "feed steel in one one end and roll trains out the other end", factorio style, and more "given an appropriately sized sheet of the right kind of steel, fold it and punch a hole", then hand it off to the next step.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...d304_story.html

"" posted:

Robot 1, almost programmed now, started trying it out. It snatched the flat metal from its left side, then swiveled back toward the press. It moved noiselessly. It released the part into the mouth of the machine, and as soon as it withdrew, down came the press to shape the metal into a claw: Wallop. The robot's arm then retrieved the part, swiveling back to its left, and dropping the claw on a conveyor belt.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SolTerrasa posted:

Here's a great article about the experience of automating a factory. It really gives you a sense for what automation does in small industries today. It's less "feed steel in one one end and roll trains out the other end", factorio style, and more "given an appropriately sized sheet of the right kind of steel, fold it and punch a hole", then hand it off to the next step.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...d304_story.html

Nice read, thanks.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Sundae posted:

I wonder how much modern welders make these days compared to what they made in the 1970s, including benefits if any. I'm betting there's a correlation with your observations. :haw:

Welder in Scandinavia are really well paid apparently, I remember talking to some crusty old welding teacher at the local vocational school a few years back*, he mentioned that a good welder is pretty much set for life, seeing as programming robotic welders is REALLY loving time consuming.

So if it's small series or maintenance, you're hiring/calling a welder, no automation there.

*Danish Engineering students have to go through a "practical skills course" for some traditional reason, welding, grinding, turning and drilling, just brief day long courses, just to taste them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You ever wonder where Steam Controllers come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

SolTerrasa posted:

I totally disagree that automation is to blame here. I have done some minor industrial automation before (interned with GE Transportation in Erie, PA), and I really think that automation is the exact opposite of what makes us forget how to build things.

Automation is a formalization of what you said here - it's a fancy way of "writing down properly how you did it". We forget how to do things when we stop doing them - when we stop building a particular kind of train, or a particular spaceship part, or some design of a nuclear power plants, or new financial systems in Fortran, and so on.

Automation isn't perfect, and it is possible to imagine an organization forgetting how automated production lines work - a partially or mostly automated plant that sits unused for twenty years is probably not going to be substantially easier to restart than a non-automated one - but while it's running, automation preserves in extremely precise terms the answers to the questions of what you did and how you did it.

I meant more along the lines of we forget how to makes things, recently, not just fancy apollo era hardware. Automation will actual help with this, if of course things are properly documented.

Speaking of documentation, ive been suggesting for a while my company builda proper wiki, ya know to avoid all the forgetting stuff tribal knowledge blah blah blah. Of course, german hq gets wind of this and decided why use a free wiki framework when we already have sharepoint installed :bravo: :fuckoff:

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 26, 2017