Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Banana Man posted:

Do you have more info on this? Sounds pretty interesting.

This is a good overview from one of the leading researchers on subsea permafrost caps: http://envisionation.co.uk/index.php/nick-breeze/203-subsea-permafrost-on-east-siberian-arctic-shelf-now-in-accelerated-decline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So we were all loving dead anyway, that's reassuring. :3: We just might have gotten another couple thousand years if we'd stuck to hitting each other with sharpened metal sticks.

Albeit that's the difference between dying on the cusp of an intersolar civilization and actually maturing into one. So, while the Earth may have greenhoused either way, this doesn't excuse us for the crime of taking our species's chance at glory and setting it on fire in the name of iPhones and Hungry Boy TV Dinners.

I will be preaching the immensity of this sin until the world burns me a grave. :argh:

Oh sick! I was looking for this earlier in the year and then forgot.

quote:

Dr. Semiletov added that the 5 billion tonnes of methane that is currently in the Earth’s atmosphere represents about one percent of the frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf. He finishes emphasising “…but we believe the hydrate pool is only a tiny fraction of the total.”
:stare:

quote:

The estimated amount of hydrates, 1500 billion tonnes, is actually only a tiny proportion of the actual pressurised methane stored beneath the gas hydrate stability zone.
:stonk:

Venus, here we come.

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 25, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

Albeit that's the difference between dying on the cusp of an intersolar civilization and actually maturing into one. So, while the Earth may have greenhoused either way, this doesn't excuse us for the crime of taking our species's chance at glory and setting it on fire in the name of iPhones and Hungry Boy TV Dinners.

I will be preaching the immensity of this sin until the world burns me a grave. :argh:

Interstellar my tuchus. What we've learned from our space programs over the last fifty or so years is that we haven't got the tech and may never have what it takes to get to another planet. One of the things might be will but I'm not buying that will alone would overcome the challenges of surviving that kind of trip.

Maybe our last gasp will be some robot stuff but I'd guess the closer we got to the inevitable the less inclined we'd be to making expensive grandiose gestures to probably no one.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

syscall girl posted:

Interstellar my tuchus. What we've learned from our space programs over the last fifty or so years is that we haven't got the tech and may never have what it takes to get to another planet. One of the things might be will but I'm not buying that will alone would overcome the challenges of surviving that kind of trip.

Maybe our last gasp will be some robot stuff but I'd guess the closer we got to the inevitable the less inclined we'd be to making expensive grandiose gestures to probably no one.

I said intersolar. There are zero barriers to exploiting our own solar system with currently available technology.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

What would happen if we nuked it?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

I said intersolar. There are zero barriers to exploiting our own solar system with currently available technology.

Ooh, my bad. Sorry.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

The Groper posted:

What would happen if we nuked it?

Very exciting things.

The atmospheric methane source for this process is: gas bubbles seep up from the permafrost into the water column -> storms convect the methane into the air. So the nuke itself would probably launch a fair bit of methane into the atmosphere but it would also increase the leak rate into the water column. Future arctic cyclones would probably be smelly.

The next exciting question is how the methane then gets removed from the atmosphere. Hope u got enough hydroxides.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Rime posted:

Venus, here we come.

I'm not sold on us being able to pull that off yet but I think it's definitely on the table. I keep research like this in the back of my mind every time some idiot says "Yeah well human life will always find a way"

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Humans simply turned it from a millennial feedback to a decadal feedback.

It's important to fail fast.

Xeom posted:

If the research ends up showing we have already passed or are very near a point of no return in terms of methane leaks did we even ever stand a chance?
I mean really considering global dimming will shoot things up quite a bit how far back do we have to go to really have had any chance of stopping this calamity?
Hell would the 90s have been too late?

I really would like to see a study, if all this methane stuff ends up going the way it seemingly is, answer the the question "roughly what was the last year we could have emitted CO2 and saved everything?"

Seriously I've been wondering the same thing, at what point could we realistically have prevented >2C temperature rise ignoring the possibility of huge positive feedback effects? Given political realities in capitalist societies I think it was the 1970s and would have required the west to go all in on nuclear in response to the energy crisis. This would significantly reduce cumulative US emissions to date but would also have developed the necessary industrial capacity to allow China + India to minimize fossil fuel usage while industrializing. Once China and the rest of the developing world began building coal plants en masse >2C warming was probably inevitable.

Don't worry I have a plan:

Nature posted:

... we introduce an integrated photonic solar reflector and thermal emitter consisting of seven layers of HfO2 and SiO2 that reflects 97 per cent of incident sunlight while emitting strongly and selectively in the atmospheric transparency window. When exposed to direct sunlight exceeding 850 watts per square metre on a rooftop, the photonic radiative cooler cools to 4.9 degrees Celsius below ambient air temperature, and has a cooling power of 40.1 watts per square metre at ambient air temperature

The cosmic microwave background is sitting right there at a chilly 3K, an endless dump for all this excess heat we're accumulating down here. Cover the interior US with reflectors + thermal emitters in the 8-13um range and couple it into the interstellar void. Just don't point them at any clouds.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Tangent: our skies, globally, are less blue than they were 300 years ago. The air is also harder to breathe, but that's harder to detect for humans since our sensitivity to elevated CO2 levels doesn't kick in until around >1000ppm (but cognitive impairment does start before that).

This is sad on such an existential level that I don't really know how to process it. Age of poisoned thought indeed.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yall got any information on the less-blue skies thing? that's interesting/sad

vv :gonk:

snoo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 25, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Was curious about the health effects of CO2 concentration.

http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/jun252006/1607.pdf

quote:

The most often quoted desirable/attainable stable concentration is 750 ppm. This concentration level is not related in any way to health considerations and is above the estimated dangerous level of 426 ppm. The value is also above the 600 ppm level, which results in the ‘stuffy room’ conditions described above. At the very least, 600 ppm of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will be unpleasant and there will be no readily available means of reversing the changes giving rise to the above symptoms.

Got to 409ppm this may at Mauna Loa, lol: https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/weekly.html

Bonus lol that the paper cites the current CO2 levels as 373ppm. When was this ancient poo poo written? Oh... 2006.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's actually great, if CO2 levels become physically uncomfortable to the ruling class we will see swift action. The oil barons have a lot of sway but they are a small minority of people with power.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Yeah CO2 is nice in that it seems to make you uncomfortable quite a bit before it makes you brain-damaged. Good warning window.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Hmm trying to weigh out being smothered by nature’s pillow or eaten by cannibals

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Anyone here have kids?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
if co2 toxicity becomes an issue before the heat death of humanity and/or trump ends the world, the rich will live in greenhouses with enclosed vegetation to provide a constant supply of fresh oxygen

Banana Man posted:

Anyone here have kids?
i'm planning to. i'm reaching my self-imposed threshold of having enough knowledge that if i can teach it to my kid, adding one person to the population will do more good than harm. no more than one though, mostly because in the worst case scenario i think i could look after one child but any more would be a nightmare

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Nothing to see here, move along ...

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Banana Man posted:

Anyone here have kids?

I have a baby girl and you can be sure she'll be spoiled rotten in my attempts to make up for bringing her into the end of the world.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Nothing to see here, move along ...

Tag yourself I'm the 7 degree record delta

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is there some study or simulation that would assume all humans and human activity just vanish overnight and then looks at how things would evolve from there as far as this climate shenanigans is concerned?

Or ones that assume the more and more devastating natural disasters kill of humans by the millions on a regular basis?

Basically, how things would go if the root problem gets brasted so much so that it's greatly diminished or gone entirely. Also assuming that the permafrost stuff wouldn't happen.

I mean, I don't think any populations can handle 10 hurricanes in a row etc. and that'll probably what'll happen at some point.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

That's actually great, if CO2 levels become physically uncomfortable to the ruling class we will see swift action. The oil barons have a lot of sway but they are a small minority of people with power.

yes, we will swiftly see the oil barons' penthouse apartments having strictly controlled lower levels of CO2 and they will no longer leave them. takeout food will be delivered, everyone else will be kept away by armed militia.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Gortarius posted:

Is there some study or simulation that would assume all humans and human activity just vanish overnight and then looks at how things would evolve from there as far as this climate shenanigans is concerned?

Or ones that assume the more and more devastating natural disasters kill of humans by the millions on a regular basis?

Basically, how things would go if the root problem gets brasted so much so that it's greatly diminished or gone entirely. Also assuming that the permafrost stuff wouldn't happen.

I mean, I don't think any populations can handle 10 hurricanes in a row etc. and that'll probably what'll happen at some point.

Earth warms quickly due to lack of industrial aerosols

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Chadzok posted:

yes, we will swiftly see the oil barons' penthouse apartments having strictly controlled lower levels of CO2 and they will no longer leave them. takeout food will be delivered, everyone else will be kept away by armed militia.

That and designer oxygen masks/tanks. Most of the remaining middle class will be spending their residual paychecks to make sure they and their children can consistently breathe outside, those who can't afford it will see greatly reduced life spans. Also, co2 poisoning makes it difficult to function/work, so if you "slip up" and run out of credit to a buy a new tank...well it is a long slide.

(That is my scifi short-story version of the future).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 25, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ardennes posted:

That and designer oxygen masks/tanks. Most of the remaining middle class will be spending their residual paychecks to make sure they and their children can consistently breathe outside, those who can't afford it will see greatly reduced life spans. Also, co2 poisoning makes it difficult to function/work, so if you "slip up" and run out of credit to a buy a new tank...well it is a long slide.

This pretty much entirely describes the setting of The Sheep Look Up, except it’s just general air pollution instead of CO2.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ardennes posted:

That's pretty dystopian. I mean, gently caress, that's a bad future for humanity. Upside is a lot more people will be motivated to get off planet, because the one thing we can't deal with is literally poisoning our air so much we all get retarded.

But hey, along those dystopian lines, that might be great for the ultra-wealthy/future dictator class to have a docile retarded population to control as opposed to an intelligent one.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nah. domed cities on earth are much easier to manufacture than domed cities on mars.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

That's pretty dystopian. I mean, gently caress, that's a bad future for humanity. Upside is a lot more people will be motivated to get off planet, because the one thing we can't deal with is literally poisoning our air so much we all get retarded.

I assume "get off planet" is some oblique reference to suicide because we'd have figured out how to tune our climate to our whims well before self-sufficient colonies that can support a suitably large population are feasible.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nocturtle posted:

I assume "get off planet" is some oblique reference to suicide because we'd have figured out how to tune our climate to our whims well before self-sufficient colonies that can support a suitably large population are feasible.

I was more thinking along the lines of O'Neill cylinders or something, once you're out of the gravity well it doesn't make a lot of sense going back down one unless you have a very good reason. Kind of like The Expanse, minus Mars (because why the gently caress go to Mars).

Remember, rich folks have a lot of money to waste and they loving own you and everyone you know. Why wouldn't they attempt this next when the New Zealand luxury refuge plan doesn't pan out?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Remember, rich folks have a lot of money to waste and they loving own you and everyone you know. Why wouldn't they attempt this next when the New Zealand luxury refuge plan doesn't pan out?
What kind of scenario do you envision where it's not vastly easier to just do extreme climate control on Earth, rather than building space habitats? Like, the climate of Earth would have to be Venus-like before it might be easier to maintain a space habitat over a climate controlled one on Earth. And why wouldn't the New Zealand plan work? If it's not because Earth is now Venus 2, then how is it not easier to just use the money and tech to secure New Zealand against mainland scum?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Banana Man posted:

Anyone here have kids?

Yup.

Honestly, to the extent I think about this stuff at all in that context, it's "live in a place that's not a dense population zone as a hedge against massive civil unrest", and "own enough sedatives and bullets to humanely take out self, family and pets". And, frankly, living away from dense population zones is much more a quality-of-life issue than a disaster preparedness one. Likewise, having some amount of hardcore drugs and weaponry on hand in carefully controlled and locked containers just seems like common sense to me. Saving as much money as possible for long term uncertainty made as much sense in 1910 as it does now.

Yeah, maybe we're all hosed, but if we are may as well enjoy the time we've got, if not then it'd end up feeling pretty foolish to have spent a life making decisions around an endgame that never came.

I heartily endorse the book The Death of Grass by John Christopher as good bedtime reading, too. I picked it up thinking it was going to be a YA thing similar to his other books I'd read as a child. Woo woo was I wrong on that, glad I read it myself before handing it to my kid when they're 9.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 25, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

I was more thinking along the lines of O'Neill cylinders or something, once you're out of the gravity well it doesn't make a lot of sense going back down one unless you have a very good reason.

There's a very good reason, which is that building and maintaining an habitat with premium creature comforts is infinitely easier to do on Earth than in orbit.

The planet could become a literal irradiated hellscape with a completely collapsed ecosystem, and it'd still be more hospitable to human life than anything out there.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
China doing, not just talking. Moving on up the value chain, letting India be the world's next dirty factory.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/10/23/559009961/china-shuts-down-tens-of-thousands-of-factories-in-unprecedented-pollution-crack

quote:

In the gritty industrial town of Yiwu, workers prepare jeans to be dyed in a vivid range of colors.

Two months ago, this factory — and this entire city, located in China's eastern province of Zhejiang — was a much quieter place. Inspection crews from the environmental bureau had shut businesses down, cutting electricity and gas so that they could determine who was following China's environmental laws and who wasn't.

The boss of this factory, who asked that his name not be used for fear of punishment by local officials, says he's never seen anything like it.

"It had a big impact on our business," he says. "We couldn't make the delivery date since we [were] shut down. It's not just our factory. All the factories out here had this issue."

This is happening across the country: Entire industrial regions of China are being temporarily shut down, and the unusual sight of blue skies is reappearing as environmental inspectors go about their work. After decades of doing little about the pollution that has plagued much of the country, China's government may be finally getting serious about enforcing its environmental laws.

"So, basically, you're seeing these inspectors go into factories for surprise inspections," says Gary Huang, founder of 80/20 Sourcing, which connects foreign clients with China's supply chain. "They're instituting daily fines, and sometimes — in the real severe cases — criminal enforcement. People are getting put in jail."

In the past year, China's Ministry of Environment has sent inspectors to 30 provinces, where they've reprimanded, fined, or charged officials in more than 80,000 factories with criminal offenses. Entire swaths of Eastern China have halted production, prompting some companies to move entire supply chains to countries like India and Bangladesh to meet their orders.

"It's a huge event. It's a serious event. I think many of us here believe it will become the new normal," says Michael Crotty, president of MKT & Associates, a company that exports textiles from China. Crotty says in his nearly two decades in China, he's never seen a crackdown of this magnitude. "The consumers of China don't want red and blue rivers. They don't want to see gray skies every day."

China's crackdown reminds Crotty of 1970s America after the Clean Water Act was passed.

"At that time, we in the textile business saw many dyeing and printing houses shut down because they couldn't comply with the regulations. We're seeing a similar process taking place here in China, and it's much, much bigger. The disruption is larger," he says.

Crotty's colleague Archie Liu, general manager of MKT & Associates, estimates that 40 percent of China's factories have been at least temporarily shut down in the latest spate of inspections. He says that's a good thing.

"After all, factories will be better, more sustainable, and more socially responsible after being inspected," he says. "It's better for our supply chain. Then we can tell Walmart, Costco, and other retailers of ours that we're qualified and that everything we make for Americans are environmentally friendly."

After a quarter century of living in China, Shanghai environmental lawyer Peter Corne is gleefully celebrating the new environmental crackdown.

"This is better than a 100-percent pay raise for me," says Corne, managing partner at Dorsey & Whitney's Shanghai office. "I was just dreaming about it. I never thought it would come true."

Corne says what's most promising about this new enforcement are the new fees that are being imposed when factories, whose emissions are now monitored in real time, discharge more than the law allows.

"The implementation will be totally different," Corne says. "It won't be the environmental bureau that's implementing anymore. They'll just be monitoring. It will be the tax bureau that's implementing it."

This is crucial, says Corne, because China's tax bureaus are powerful entities backed up by rigorous laws that, when violated, are typically met with aggressive local enforcement.
Corne's confident the economic hit will be temporary as companies that specialize in clean tech get a boost from so many factories now being forced to comply with much stricter laws.

But in the short term, that's little consolation for businessmen like Michael Crotty.

"So, short-term, the disruptions are pretty significant, and the timing, quite frankly, is difficult," Crotty says.

Difficult, because these shutdowns have impacted supply chains producing goods for the upcoming Christmas season in the U.S. Crotty thinks Americans will see an increase in prices on the shelves this holiday season due to the breadth of China's factory shutdowns.

But, he says, it's a small price to pay for a cleaner China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/business/china-pollution-economy.html

quote:

BEIJING — Through the last four decades, China has achieved breathtaking economic growth at the cost of smoggy skies, fetid streams and lakes of dying fish.

Now China is undertaking one of its most extensive efforts yet to crack down on corporate polluters, an effort that could be felt economically and in world markets.

Cities across China have stepped up sending squads of inspectors to steel mills, coal-fired power plants and other businesses, and ordered offenders to clean up their operations or risk being shut down. On Aug. 21, the environmental authorities ordered more than two dozen cities in northern China, including many main steel production centers, to reduce air pollution by 15 percent this winter.

Even tougher measures will be coming, Li Ganjie, China’s minister for environmental protection, said Monday at a news conference held in conjunction with the Communist Party congress, a twice-per-decade event at which the party selects new leaders to tackle its problems.

The campaign, which started two years ago but picked up speed in recent months, is so broad that it is starting to affect markets. Some economists have begun to warn of a possible modest slowing of the entire Chinese economy this winter.

Officials sought Monday to reassure the Chinese public and businesses that the pollution crackdown would help clean up the country without disrupting growth.

“It is impossible that such efforts will not have any impact on enterprises,” Mr. Li said. “But in the long run, and from the macro perspective, the impact will be minimal.”

Pollution figures strongly into the broader debate over the cost of growth in China. Officials in China are under pressure to keep the economy revving to provide good jobs for its young people and for rural residents moving into cities, among others. But stimulating growth has compounded China’s debt problems, added to its pollution woes and created other complications that Beijing must address.

If successful, the antipollution campaign could produce bluer skies and cleaner water across China, with potential health benefits for the country’s 1.3 billion people.

“For those areas that have suffered ecological damage, their leaders and cadres will be held responsible for life,” said Yang Weimin, the deputy director of the Communist Party’s Office of the Central Leading Group on Financial and Economic Affairs. “Our people will be able to see stars at night and hear birds chirp.”

But the effort could have a cost as well. Economists at Société Générale, a French bank, predicted in a recent research note that environmental restrictions could shave two-tenths of a percent off economic growth.

“Modestly slower growth will be a necessary sacrifice for maintaining social stability over the medium term,” it said.

Global prices for iron ore, a crucial material for making steel, have slumped in part on expectations that many Chinese steel mills will have to close temporarily this winter.

China is so important to the global economy that a campaign against pollution here could affect economies around the world, particularly iron ore exporters. Economists in Australia are already starting to become concerned.

Australia “is absolutely dependent on China — that’s true of iron ore prices, but it’s also true of Australia’s national income,” said Chris Richardson, the chief Australia economist for Deloitte, the global accounting firm.

Although China now leads the world in its installations of solar and wind power, it still relies on coal to generate three-quarters of its electricity. Electricity use by households is rising as more Chinese consumers buy air-conditioners and adopt the trappings of middle-class life.

Turning off electricity to residential customers to reduce pollution is politically unrealistic. That means steeper cuts may be necessary for industrial users.

Cui Dongshu, the secretary general of the government-affiliated China Passenger Car Association, said in a telephone interview that the government had been inexorably tightening pollution standards. The country’s top priority has been shifting away from maximizing economic output and toward environmental protection, and companies must adapt, he said.

“Auto companies have adequate profits,” he said. “They can withstand it, but their production schedules may be affected.”

The pollution effort’s impact on global markets is uncertain, and on Monday Chinese officials said they may be overreacting.

Li Xinchuang, the deputy chairman of the government-affiliated China Steel Association, said Chinese production could continue undiminished if the industry simply closed excess, outdated steel foundries that pollute more.

Christine Loh, who was undersecretary for the environment for Hong Kong until last summer and worked closely with mainland officials, said that China had considerable potential for environmental cleanup without harming the economy.

“The new economy continues to thrive, while the old economy cleans up,” she wrote in an email. “So, the overall picture should not be seen too negatively.”

China’s track record on nationally mandated campaigns has been mixed. Told to maximize economic output, local officials have sometimes faked statistics, most recently in a few economically depressed areas of northeastern China.

President Xi Jinping endorsed the environmental effort in his work report last Wednesday at the start of the party congress. “Clear waters and lush mountains are as valuable as gold and silver,” he said.

Beyond maximizing economic output, Mr. Xi said that his country needed to address a new dilemma, and one that implies greater attention to environmental protection, “between unbalanced and inadequate development and the people’s ever-growing needs for a better life.”

Meanwhile in America, Scott Pruitt worries about assassins and eavesdroppers as he guts environmental regulations. Can you imagine Trump making a statement like that one about clean waters being more valuable than gold?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The only solution to turning our lush planet slightly less hospitable is to permanently settle in a 2.7 Kelvin void.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

dex_sda posted:

The only solution to turning our lush planet slightly less hospitable is to permanently settle in a 2.7 Kelvin void.

Not to mention the cosmic rays giving one the equivalent of a chest X-Ray every month.

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

dex_sda posted:

It's probably going to a lot less hospitable for the poor's but yep I think your right, it's going to take a biblical scale disaster for the rich to notice.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

treerat posted:

China doing, not just talking. Moving on up the value chain, letting India be the world's next dirty factory.valuable than gold?

I, too, believe vague reports from government officials in an autocratic state. Especially in the midst of a PR campaign being run by the guy who just declared himself dictator for life.

Fojar38 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 25, 2017

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Fojar38 posted:

I, too, believe vague reports from government officials in an autocratic state.

What, if anything, could China realistically do to persuade you that they're serious about environmental cleanup?

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Hello Sailor posted:

What, if anything, could China realistically do to persuade you that they're serious about environmental cleanup?

Allow growth to tank to the degree that would actually be required to make a dent in industrial pollution instead of trying to sell the fantasy of both 6.8% growth and massive drops in pollution.

Of course, even at that point, lol at the idea of taking the word of an autocratic regime at face value.

If that's too hard, stop farting giant particulate clouds out over NE Asia.

Fojar38 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
It will be interesting to see if growth does slow and if the government allows it to be known.