Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

I haven't built the unicorn myself, but I'd heartily recommend the RG Gundam MK II.

Especially in Titans colors, the best color scheme for the RX-178.

Edit: quoted last page for clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bingsu posted:

Especially in Titans colors, the best color scheme for the RX-178.

Edit: quoted last page for clarity.

On the one hand you're right

On the other hand the different between the two kits is 50$+

And if I'm spending 80$+ on a Gundam I want it to be a massively huge monster

e: Wait, I'm an idiot! Amazon had another listing for it with comparable pricing! :aaa: I can get it in the best colors!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
If you want a massive monster buy the HG Psycho Gundam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That Gobbo posted:

"It's around 11/12 inches tall"

:aaaaa:

Yes hello Four is one of my favorite pilots in Zeta Gundam I do want her Gundam thank you~

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just so you don't end up too surprised, the HG Psycho Gundam uses screws. Nothing too complicated though, and using metal joiners means it leans closer to the Transformers side rather than Gundam wrt "this thing can transform cleanly and without falling apart"

....helps that the mobile armor mode is basically A Brick too. Or maybe a backpack for a yet larger gundam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Just so you don't end up too surprised, the HG Psycho Gundam uses screws. Nothing too complicated though, and using metal joiners means it leans closer to the Transformers side rather than Gundam wrt "this thing can transform cleanly and without falling apart"

....helps that the mobile armor mode is basically A Brick too. Or maybe a backpack for a yet larger gundam.

Ah, thanks for the warning! It'll go nicely with my Transformers, haha.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That Gobbo posted:

I already did :smugdog:

The head is just sitting on my desk here in front of me until I'm ready to build the rest :v:

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I have any complaints about the GM, it's a short list

- Why are you teal instead of white, like you are on the box and in the manual? The teal's cute, but I'd prefer accuracy in advertising.
- Thanks to the front skirt he can't sit down, which is a bummer for posing.
- The location of some nubs, especially the ones on the front of his feet protectors. I'm not sure how to hide or get rid of those marks, and it's just... sigh. I can live with it, but man.

The colors thing is a result of the constant toss-up between having the models be exactly the same color as they were on TV or substitute an alternate real world interpretation of that color. As a result depending on where you see them a lot of things will be slightly different white, grey or teal/seafoam green. I assure you though, that the GM's tone is not nearly as shocking as the seafoam green on the HGUC Jegan, it looks like a drat bar of soap.

Your choices for cleaning up visible nubs are careful shaving with a hobby knife or sanding. Either way on certain colors of plastics you can pretty much forget hiding every stress mark! :argh:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do wish high grades would move away from ball joint shoulders back to pegs. The peg and slot hinges on RGs work just fine.
Some of them already have, the recent HGUC Barzam in particular has the dual axis pegs with the ability to slide the joint outwards for extra lateral motion.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I really like the colour scheme of the Thunderbolt GMs

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

The colors thing is a result of the constant toss-up between having the models be exactly the same color as they were on TV or substitute an alternate real world interpretation of that color. As a result depending on where you see them a lot of things will be slightly different white, grey or teal/seafoam green. I assure you though, that the GM's tone is not nearly as shocking as the seafoam green on the HGUC Jegan, it looks like a drat bar of soap.

Your choices for cleaning up visible nubs are careful shaving with a hobby knife or sanding. Either way on certain colors of plastics you can pretty much forget hiding every stress mark! :argh:

Oh, the Jegan is cute! ...so when do I get unlimited money to go along with wanting unlimited kits? :v:

As for my poor GM, welp, there's no way to hide the nubs, then. Ah well. Fortunately it's the kind of blemish that no one will notice except for me and experienced gunpla builders.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I have any complaints about the GM, it's a short list

- Why are you teal instead of white, like you are on the box and in the manual? The teal's cute, but I'd prefer accuracy in advertising.
- Thanks to the front skirt he can't sit down, which is a bummer for posing.
- The location of some nubs, especially the ones on the front of his feet protectors. I'm not sure how to hide or get rid of those marks, and it's just... sigh. I can live with it, but man.

Aside from that, for a ten dollar kit, he's perfect! Cute, easy to pose, easy to put together, and I'd happily recommend him to newcomers - or to anyone who wants an easy kit.

That said, I'm definitely saving up for an RG or MG after the Qubeley because I want something a little more involved, next. Gimme gimme something with pages of instructions and lots of runners. :D

If you take a closeup of the nubs the are talking about we can maybe try to help. I'm pretty low effort on nubs but with a combination of sharp hobby knife and using my fingernail as a fine grit sandpaper, I can make most of them pretty subdued.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 369 days!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh, the Jegan is cute! ...so when do I get unlimited money to go along with wanting unlimited kits? :v:

As for my poor GM, welp, there's no way to hide the nubs, then. Ah well. Fortunately it's the kind of blemish that no one will notice except for me and experienced gunpla builders.

do you topcoat? A matte finish goes quite a long way in minimizing the appearance of nub leftovers/sanding

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Gobbo posted:

If you want a massive monster buy the HG Psycho Gundam Dendrobium or Neo Zeong.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
what a ripoff, it doesnt even come with the halo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Booyah- posted:

If you take a closeup of the nubs the are talking about we can maybe try to help. I'm pretty low effort on nubs but with a combination of sharp hobby knife and using my fingernail as a fine grit sandpaper, I can make most of them pretty subdued.

My usual method of "just nip a little closer to the plastic" won't really hide that nubs were here, I don't think. :sigh:

tenderjerk posted:

do you topcoat? A matte finish goes quite a long way in minimizing the appearance of nub leftovers/sanding

I do not. I haven't yet ventured into the wild world of actually painting anything outside of a canvas.

Midjack posted:

Dendrobium or Neo Zeong

Alas, neither of those appeal to me. I am looking at the MG Zeong for when I'm ready to spend 90$ on a gundam. It just looks so hilariously fun. :allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

what a ripoff, it doesnt even come with the halo

It was a p Bandai add on.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

My usual method of "just nip a little closer to the plastic" won't really hide that nubs were here, I don't think. :sigh:

Ack, yeah that is a really frustrating place for gates to be that thankfully newer kits avoid. With nubs I actually like to cut a bit further from the model, and then level off the nub with a couple of passes with the xacto blade. The more you use kind of a slicing action the less stress is put on the plastic and so the less the white marks show.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Ack, yeah that is a really frustrating place for gates to be that thankfully newer kits avoid. With nubs I actually like to cut a bit further from the model, and then level off the nub with a couple of passes with the xacto blade. The more you use kind of a slicing action the less stress is put on the plastic and so the less the white marks show.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

...At least this kind of fits with what a GM is - mass produced mobile suit, kinda shoddy but better than a Ball. Of course the newer kits don't have this problem! :v:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That GM is rad. Be careful if you xacto I've stabbed myself twice working on this Unicorn. Someone earlier recommended a scalpel, I think I'd be dead now.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the best part about the HG psycho gundam is the manipulators are articulated so you can have it flipping the bird

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Buy some good nippers like god hands or gundam planet nippers if you want to kill nubs with little to no sanding and less danger to yourself if you're clumsy like me.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Midjack posted:

It was a p Bandai add on.
I found a decent deal on the ring and now I'm just waiting so I can gather enough courage to pull the trigger and get the neo zeong itself.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 369 days!

That Gobbo posted:

Buy some good nippers like god hands or gundam planet nippers if you want to kill nubs with little to no sanding and less danger to yourself if you're clumsy like me.

THIS

my nub woes turned around considerably once I got godhands and ditched the nail clippers. They even make entry level nippers!

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That reminds me: I picked up a pair of the cheap $12-13 godhands and they were an obvious improvement over the various hobby shop ones I've bought over the years.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm using these, which were recced in the OP, and they're pretty good so far. Extremely sharp stuff!

Can anyone compare them to the godhands?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I use those as my 'get piece off runner' nippers, then I use my god hands to take off the nubs.

Edit: God hands cut through nubs like butter and leave little to no stress marks.

That Gobbo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 25, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

It is, but at the same time it's a really good intro kit for people to realize "wow, model kits can be easy, cheap, AND look good???". Source: it was literally my first kit.

My only real advice is to be careful with the arms; since they use a silly peg design they're quite adept at snapping off if you're too rough. Same for the balljoints on the legs; you can definitely see why they changed to joints being separate pieces you slot into limbs, rather than sculpting them together.

It was somewhere around my... third kit?

The thing was, I built the Guncannon before it, and the GM Command around the same time, and those were about as simple while being so much better in more or less every way. Kind of made the GM's weaknesses stand out more.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm using these, which were recced in the OP, and they're pretty good so far. Extremely sharp stuff!

Can anyone compare them to the godhands?

i have the gundam planet nippers which are supposedly very similar. the main difference is that they use a "hammer anvil" style where only one side is the sharp knife and it pushed into plastic supported by the other side. when they are sharp enough it gives you a cleaner cut.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished my snapfit of the MG Zaku 2, decided he looks much cooler with an AKS-74.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Finished my snapfit of the MG Zaku 2, decided he looks much cooler with an AKS-74.

drat, that's a nice Zaku. Also, yup, that gun looks cool. :D

Also, yep, my GM's arm popped off thanks to the weird peg design when I tipped him over on accident. He's been put back together, but eesh. Poor fragile thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Some might call it a design flaw, others might call it Realistic Customizable Battle Damage

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/templajp/status/923015856203821056

A Deep Striker themed Nu ver Ka HWS

and here I didn't think I could possibly love anything this much

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just put together an RG Unicorn leg. Is it normal for it to have no forward bend on the knee and weird ankle articulation? I just built the RG Exia which is extremely well articulated so it might just be the contrast between the kits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Just put together an RG Unicorn leg. Is it normal for it to have no forward bend on the knee and weird ankle articulation? I just built the RG Exia which is extremely well articulated so it might just be the contrast between the kits.

The MG, PG, and RG Unicorn and derivatives have to compromise mobility and stability to incorporate the transformation feature.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Booyah- posted:

i have the gundam planet nippers which are supposedly very similar. the main difference is that they use a "hammer anvil" style where only one side is the sharp knife and it pushed into plastic supported by the other side. when they are sharp enough it gives you a cleaner cut.

In my quest to make non-painted builds look best, I've bought both the GPs and the God Hands.

The God Hands are generally better with the cut. I haven't figured out how to sharpen mine yet, though, so they're not as sharp as I'd like. I also have the (incredibly bad?) habit of using my nipper blade to do some shaving of nubs without cutting (put against nub and press from the outside to shave across). The God Hands have a little bar of metal right where my thumb goes, probably to prevent exactly that, but it makes it uncomfortable when I ignore it and do it anyway. Whoops. They're also a little shallower, so it's easier to get them into hard-to-reach places on the runners. On the downside, they have to be the worst nippers on the planet for getting the little nubs of plastic stuck in them when you snip them off -- probably every 4 or 5 cuts I have to dislodge a bit of plastic.

The Gundam Planet nippers are great, and a bit easier to sharpen (I've done the aluminum foil trick, which made a huge improvement). I also find the rubber wrapping the handles a bit more comfortable.

If you're trying to save the most money, go with the Gundam Planets. They're like, 95% as good, $15 less, and GundamPlanet routinely runs deals where ordering a pair of nippers makes the whole order ship free. They've got one of those going right now, actually.

If you want the best cut, get the God Hands.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

EVGA Longoria posted:

The Gundam Planet nippers are great, and a bit easier to sharpen (I've done the aluminum foil trick, which made a huge improvement).

Can you describe this trick in more detail? I would love to sharpen my Gundam Planet nippers after building 6+ kits with them.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

EVGA Longoria posted:

GundamPlanet routinely runs deals where ordering a pair of nippers makes the whole order ship free. They've got one of those going right now, actually.

Oh great, now you tell me!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, where's the best place to buy gunpla in Canada? I'm trying to get my Canadian friend into the hobby and the difference in prices on ebay is a little silly.

At least amazon only has you add like 5$ shipping, but if there's a better deal, I want to know!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, where's the best place to buy gunpla in Canada? I'm trying to get my Canadian friend into the hobby and the difference in prices on ebay is a little silly.

At least amazon only has you add like 5$ shipping, but if there's a better deal, I want to know!

Amazon usually has the best deals in general. I've no clue if its canada's import tax or whatev that drives up the price, but if not then Hobbylink Japan is a really nice site to get obscure stuff directly from Japan; the only drawback is they take quite a while to ship + shipping costs make bulk orders more preferable. On the flip side you get access to weird 2 dollar single-piece folding model kits!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Amazon usually has the best deals in general. I've no clue if its canada's import tax or whatev that drives up the price, but if not then Hobbylink Japan is a really nice site to get obscure stuff directly from Japan; the only drawback is they take quite a while to ship + shipping costs make bulk orders more preferable. On the flip side you get access to weird 2 dollar single-piece folding model kits!

Got it, thanks!

Who woulda thunk it would take an IBO kit to get my friend to ask me where she can buy these things. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

brainwrinkle posted:

Can you describe this trick in more detail? I would love to sharpen my Gundam Planet nippers after building 6+ kits with them.

https://lifehacker.com/300223/use-aluminum-foil-to-sharpen-scissors

I usually do about 4, but the basic idea is stack a few sheets of aluminum foil and cut through it with the nippers. It don’t help if you’ve physically damaged them, but helps sharpen them.