Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be afraid to try that out, worried the machine will get a division by zero error and start spewing smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In other skate news I found another pair of my size clearance Easton Mako II skates.

Now I have my current pair that still is going strong, and 2 backup pairs in waiting. Every time I find something I love it goes away.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Anyone know anything about Graf skates? I found a pair of new in box Graf Supra G35 Sr. Ice Hockey Skates for $60, Original Price $579.99 from HockeyMonkey. I think I'm going to order them and see how I like them. They'll be way better than what I have now, and I can probably get some of that back even if i have to sell them used on Craigslist, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried on a mid-tier pair of Grafs several years ago when on my great skate crusade, and the toe cap had a flange of plastic that cut into my big toe. Took 'em off and said no thanks, if that's their build quality I'll find something else.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Stitecin posted:

Anyone know anything about Graf skates? I found a pair of new in box Graf Supra G35 Sr. Ice Hockey Skates for $60, Original Price $579.99 from HockeyMonkey. I think I'm going to order them and see how I like them. They'll be way better than what I have now, and I can probably get some of that back even if i have to sell them used on Craigslist, right?

My brother got a pair and he likes them for the most part but apparently the design to hold the blade in the runner is awful and there’s this weird bolt/screw mechanism that no other brand uses and if the bolt/screw you have is for whatever reason not tightening properly (don’t ask me why) then you have to order replacements from Canada/Switzerland because apparently shops just don’t carry graf replacement hardware stateside.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wear Bauer Vapors and have for years. I briefly strayed away from that when there was a Nike line of skates when I was in high school but despite shelling out good money for them I hated them. I forget the exact skate they were but they sucked.

I'm totally anal about my skates though. It's Vapors or bust. I like a heavier boot like they have.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Stitecin posted:

not sure what tier my Graf's are but I've been using them for ~2 years now. They're heavier than pretty much everybody else's skate but I never did try any of the (edit:..ir more recent) skates they made before (and after) their NA shutdown and being bought by Vaughn. They're weird but they work and I haven't yet found a company that made a skate with a tall enough side wall for my feet.

e: also yeah I had to jam in some extra foam near where the toe cap meets the side of the ball of my foot cause it was uncomfortable, though not cutting me.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 21, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CCM for life

...because things are never going to break down my god they are tanks

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Stitecin posted:

Everyone I know that wears Grafs usually drops somewhere around $500-$900 on them, swears by them and keeps them for a good 7-10 years before breaking down and getting new ones. I think it will just come down to how your foot feels in them, and really for $60 you can't really lose and like you said if they don't work you can flip them for profit most likely on CL. I wear Bauer so I don't have any personal experience with Graf but like I said, guys I know that wear them swear by them.

sellouts posted:

my first legitimate "snipe" in probably 10 years, taking into consideration team/goalie skill. it feels so good to do it during a playoff game and have the players 2+ levels above me on both teams talk about it after the game.

feels good to have gym work payoff, too

hockey is great and wonderful and i love you all

Oh man it has been a while since I have gotten to do that. Last one was in a men's league tourney and put a backhand, shortside, bar down to keep the annoying whiner team in our league winless in the tourney. All the guys from other teams were commenting on it at the bar after, feels good man.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Ginette Reno posted:

I wear Bauer Vapors and have for years. I briefly strayed away from that when there was a Nike line of skates when I was in high school but despite shelling out good money for them I hated them. I forget the exact skate they were but they sucked.

I'm totally anal about my skates though. It's Vapors or bust. I like a heavier boot like they have.

Nike Quest skates? I have the mid-2000s Quest V10 and I could've sworn they're basically rebranded Vapors. I could be wrong, though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lmao

My team got sponsored (what) , got a TV spot (double what), got into an established "league" (still for fun, but had some travel opportunities). My team also just imploded because the organisers, the coach and a guy who's not even the loving coach can't get along.

Woo. Time to find a new team?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 24, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bradf0rd posted:

Nike Quest skates? I have the mid-2000s Quest V10 and I could've sworn they're basically rebranded Vapors. I could be wrong, though.

I really can't remember. Been like twelve years since I wore them.

I remember the boot being extremely light weight for them which some people would probably like but it threw me off.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I had a pair of the Federov Nikes but all black instead of white. Got them right before a tournament and they DESTROYED my feet, I never used them again.

I remember the Nike Apollo aluminum sticks were nightmares for pro shops becuase they would actually hold a bed if they were flexed in the shop, they must have been terrible to use. They looked so good though, copper colored aluminum.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Well look at that... Out of the ~79 or so teams in all of GSHL playing right now, our own lil Bradf0rd is currently leading all goalies in the entire league in GAA after 5 games in :golfclap:
aaaand it's gone. You've been passed... You suck again. :v:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 25, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

D C posted:

I had a pair of the Federov Nikes but all black instead of white. Got them right before a tournament and they DESTROYED my feet, I never used them again.

I remember the Nike Apollo aluminum sticks were nightmares for pro shops becuase they would actually hold a bed if they were flexed in the shop, they must have been terrible to use. They looked so good though, copper colored aluminum.

I still have that Easton shaft

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Yay me...please don't Bootcha.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

i just bought us all matching meat-themed jerseys which you must wear or you're off the squad.

also we're calling them squads now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I started learning to skate 9 months ago and I've made dramatic improvements in that time, but I'm finding that I still have serious psychological barriers that are far more difficult to overcome than physical ones. I usually devote 15 solid minutes per free skate session to mohawk transitions. I could be doing them perfectly on both sides for the first 10 minutes, but then I'll get a case of the yips and just forget how to do them on one side, like my weight refuses to shift and my leg won't move into position. I practice in full gear, so when I fall down it doesn't hurt, but still I think fear of falling down is what's causing my brain farts. My goal is to do it so many times that it becomes second nature and I don't have to think about it, but I've been working on mohawk transitions for months now and I still worry about them every time. :ohdear:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I started learning to skate 9 months ago and I've made dramatic improvements in that time, but I'm finding that I still have serious psychological barriers that are far more difficult to overcome than physical ones. I usually devote 15 solid minutes per free skate session to mohawk transitions. I could be doing them perfectly on both sides for the first 10 minutes, but then I'll get a case of the yips and just forget how to do them on one side, like my weight refuses to shift and my leg won't move into position. I practice in full gear, so when I fall down it doesn't hurt, but still I think fear of falling down is what's causing my brain farts. My goal is to do it so many times that it becomes second nature and I don't have to think about it, but I've been working on mohawk transitions for months now and I still worry about them every time. :ohdear:

You'll get there if you keep at it. It's all muscle memory. Once you've got it down, you've got it. Just keep trying to talk yourself into doing it. Falling down isn't gonna beat you up too bad in all that gear.

I had two goals last night from d which was my first multi goal game in a while because I'm pass first, second, and third. Feels good man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone has a weak side, I've seen comments that even pros need to force themselves to practice both directions to avoid regressing.

9 months is not that long a time, keep at it for another couple years and everything will get easier.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Everyone has a weak side, I've seen comments that even pros need to force themselves to practice both directions to avoid regressing.

9 months is not that long a time, keep at it for another couple years and everything will get easier.

That's true. I've been skating since I was 5 but I still favor my right side for crossovers, stops, etc.

I miss doing power skating lessons. Used to do those growing up and they were always very helpful for technique. I'm sure my technique has gone all to hell since all I do these days is beer league.

You read every summer about even NHLers taking power skating lessons. Even guys who are known as good skaters to begin with.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

I have a clear weak side when stopping and doing crossovers, but on mohawk transitions, the side I get the yips on could be either. It's completely random which side I'll be good at when I practice. :shrug:

Based on people I've talked to at Rat Hockey, it takes about 3 years before becoming a middle-of-the-pack pickup game player. Hockey has the highest learning curve of anything I've ever tried to pick up, so it's frustrating when I can't get good as fast as I want, but it's still extremely satisfying to see how much I've improved.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t even think anymore, my bad habits just take over as a read and react to the play.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think.

Unfortunately it's 5-10 seconds after something went wrong and my stupid as gently caress brain realizes it way after the point I could have done something about it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Based on people I've talked to at Rat Hockey, it takes about 3 years before becoming a middle-of-the-pack pickup game player. Hockey has the highest learning curve of anything I've ever tried to pick up, so it's frustrating when I can't get good as fast as I want, but it's still extremely satisfying to see how much I've improved.

I've been playing for almost 7 years now and yeah, the first few years were super frustrating because I was terrible and all I wanted to do was go skate every day but because of limited ice I could get maybe 3 times a week at best. I think I've moved on to ugly but functional and am by all accounts not the worst player on my intermediate-level team but also:

sellouts posted:

my bad habits just take over as a read and react to the play.

I play around my weaknesses. Like, I'm pretty sure I can transition fine on both sides but if you showed me video of a game and it turned out that I was actually only turning on one side the whole time, I wouldn't really be surprised.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I believe it was 3 years for me to do backwards crossovers. Then it took 6 years to be able to stop on my weak side. And just recently after 9 years I finally got comfortable stopping on my outside edge only.

Just gotta keep working at it. However as everyone else mentioned, during games you can usually work around weaknesses. For example there's not many situations where it helps stopping on your weak side rather than your strong side necessarily.

A new player probably benefits more from learning proper positioning. You can be a great skater, but if you're out of position then everyone will probably hate you. However, if you're always in position, you at least set yourself up for a situation where your skating techniques can be used.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been playing 3 years now and I wouldn't really consider myself middle of the pack, I'm usually happy to not be the worst. This is in Southern Ontario where we live and breathe hockey though.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

:smith:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
After being snake-bit for a while and stuck at 98, I finally got adult league goal #100 last week. It was actually the middle goal of a hat trick, which I've had only four of over about 375 games.

All three goals were trash scored from just outside the crease. I love playing in front of the net, it's like my favourite thing in the world.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

please post complete gamelog

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Played a team last night that's 2 divisions above us. The league coordinator likes to use the first half of the season to figure out what level teams should be at, so he gave us this inter divisional game. Needless to say, we all figured the running clock mercy rule would go into effect by the second period.

Also I've mentioned it a few times, but I haven't scored a goal since last April. Lo-and-behold, 3rd period in our zone the puck bounces off one of their guys skates to our defenseman, and he springs me with a pass straight up the center for a breakaway. At top speed I fake a forehand, toe drag it, and slide the puck in the net backhand. Granted the goal made it 4-2 in their favor, which was the final score, but it's nice to finally get on the score sheet again. Even against a team that maybe was sandbagging it defensively at the end.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bgreman posted:

After being snake-bit for a while and stuck at 98, I finally got adult league goal #100 last week. It was actually the middle goal of a hat trick, which I've had only four of over about 375 games.

All three goals were trash scored from just outside the crease. I love playing in front of the net, it's like my favourite thing in the world.

Hatty bros :hf: Got one on Monday.

We also had a guy be so pissed about the line he got put on, which wasn't even bad to begin with, that he just glided around the whole night generally not doing anything useful, and didn't talk to anyone. First one out of the locker room after the game. I've never seen someone be such a goddamn baby about the line they get put on.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

bgreman posted:

Please tell me you have a spreadsheet to keep track of your beer league goals.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
You may have seen the wild fires in Sonoma and Napa counties in the last couple of weeks, well one of those fires swept through Santa Rosa. It didn't burn down the arena, but it did knock out power for a couple of days so the ice had to be remade. Between that and the smoke damage tonight is the first night of Beer League since the 8th. I'm subbing on a team that has me on the roster, it's going to be the first organized (refereed) game I've played since college intramurals 15 years ago.

bgreman would you mind emailing me your template for game logs? I want to format them properly so the scouts will get the most out of them.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

KnightProjekt posted:

My league keeps career stats on their website. I'll hit 100pts in my 66th or 67th game (4th season).

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

KnightProjekt posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VEJWRWglsYIpKZwcN_y6DTE2KV2k-DcO-fKlvOm9Jfc

It started mostly as a way to track my costs, then I added stats.

I considered doing a game log but I figured starting three years in, what's the point.

The "per 82" stats are the worst part.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 27, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Good lord

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bgreman posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VEJWRWglsYIpKZwcN_y6DTE2KV2k-DcO-fKlvOm9Jfc

It started mostly as a way to track my costs, then I added stats.

I considered doing a game log but I figured starting three years in, what's the point.

The "per 82" stats are the worst part.

My man.

I’ve paid $15,163.92 in league fees since i started playing in 2010.

:cry:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah I wish I was paying 115 per season. Just this year alone I've spent about 2k on hockey, granted part of that was on new skates.

Trying to think of stuff the wife can get me for Christmas. Recommendations on a bag? I've had 2 in the last 4 years that have just fallen apart. So something that will last me a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bags are designed to be poo poo, they build them cheap and assume they get replaced every year or two. If you want to break that cycle you're gonna pay a ton (example: the grit bags).

Last year the family ordered me one from a vendor that supplies college teams under the theory that teams used to bus travel use better materials in their bags, no signs of wear so far but it's still pretty young.