Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Albino Squirrel posted:

So, uh, you gonna put this on the workshop orrrrr

I will eventually, but it might be a while. I still have a pretty decent amount of stuff left to do before I'd consider the map finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

Turns out my :pseudo: worked more like :science:

I think the end results are much better than what I would have gotten had I tried to place trees like this myself, and on a map with fewer mountains it would be a pretty quick set up.

This does look good but the tree density looks inverted to me. Water runs into valleys and troughs which means vegetation growth is denser in the low folds and more sparse on the ridges.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mutata posted:

This does look good but the tree density looks inverted to me. Water runs into valleys and troughs which means vegetation growth is denser in the low folds and more sparse on the ridges.

In some areas with heavy rain those areas become washed out which prevents heavier growth, but yeah it's far more common at the ridges are more rocky and bare vs the valleys.

Here's something fairly close though.

You can see it's basically where snow has melted and washed out the soil or made the valley too swampy for big trees.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 25, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

True that!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mutata posted:

I'm going to do that for the finalized version. I didn't do it for the test just because it would take longer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NatasDog posted:

It's actually ridiculously simple to navigate and if anything I imagine the lack of left turns into oncoming traffic makes it less dangerous when dealing with the impaired. There are big rear end signs and arrows telling you exactly what to do when you approach. The whole thing flows really nicely even during rush hour because you don't have to worry about left turn traffic backing up into the through lanes like you have to with so many diamond interchanges that have left turn lanes that are too short for the volume of traffic they need to accommodate.

I've used them pretty much exclusively in C:S because they're really effective at handling a lot of traffic entering/exiting the highway.

Next up: Double Crossover Merging Interchange.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Double DOUBLE Crosso... oh wait now we're just applying lovely 1970s highway design standards again. Left exits? No thanks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

I will eventually, but it might be a while. I still have a pretty decent amount of stuff left to do before I'd consider the map finished.

So how did you actually make your landforms? Importing a grayscale or some how did by hand? I tried to copy your system but it turned out poo poo because my landforms were poo poo :(

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

There's one of those someplace in Delaware and my dad in the passenger seat looked up from his phone and freaked out that we were on the wrong side of the road. It takes a little getting used to but they do make sense.

My dad was like Chevy Chase in European Vacation the first time we ran into a roundabout out here. He just didn't know what the gently caress, it was pretty hilarious. Also, he insists on calling them roustabouts for some reason.

Edit:

MikeJF posted:

That poo poo is bonkers, I want to drive on one now.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 25, 2017

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I swear I learned how to tie that one in boy scouts.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

MikeJF posted:

Full-flow no-weaving intersection with just 3 bridges (at the cost of a few left-side exits)?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Left side exits may end up costing more in the long run due to safety issues. Of course that's not a problem in skylines.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

DCMI and DDI are the god-tier service interchanges in Skylines.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The best most efficient interchange is the one you didn't need to build because you got good transit and walkability :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sincx posted:

Full-flow no-weaving intersection with just 3 bridges (at the cost of a few left-side exits)?

And no weaving or merging either. It's all very civilised as long as you don't screw up.

It was only planned recently, nobody's built one in real life yet.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 25, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

So how did you actually make your landforms? Importing a grayscale or some how did by hand? I tried to copy your system but it turned out poo poo because my landforms were poo poo :(

I grabbed some heightmaps off of terrain.party, photoshopped them together and then ran the product through terrain.party.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Baronjutter posted:

The best most efficient interchange is the one you didn't need to build because you got good transit and walkability :)

I'm doing a new green city with no fewer than 10 giant turbine interchanges. It's green because everyone must have electric cars.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

More like double DIEmond interchange.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

MikeJF posted:

Double Crossover Merging Interchange.

I hope I don't take an exit by mistake.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm not going to lie, I've spent more time in the map editor than the actual game at this point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would pay $2 for a DLC that just lets you zoom in on a globe, pick out any location in the world and kick off a map from it automagically.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

mutata posted:

Temperate forests in glacial till soils would like a word with you sir.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I would pay $2 for a DLC that just lets you zoom in on a globe, pick out any location in the world and kick off a map from it automagically.

$2? Woah don't get crazy now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I don't have disasters and have never had this problem, but a small wave due to terraforming my coast a little flooded my town, I'm used to this happening when I do coastal work and just wait for the water to go away. This time it destroyed a good 2 hours of hand-plopping row houses. Is this new? Is there a way to disable this?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
This game is amazing and I could just browse the workshop forever I have a few questions though:

1.) What is RICO? a was playing around with some plopable? buildings and they caused everyone to be very happy then upset after i removed it
2.) I'm enjoying setting up bike paths in my city, but I cant build a park next to either a bike path or a ped path, is there a mod or a way to get parks next to paths?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So rico and realistic pop seem to be a bit hosed up, all my nice apartment blocks end up having only 2-3 households instead of the correct 20-50 or so but hopefully that will be fixed. Apparently it's using the calculations for low density residential for all residential rico plops.

Started my first city in a while. I didn't buy green cities but there's nothing in it I'm interested in, only the free stuff. Maybe once rico and modders have integrated the new specializations it might be worth getting.

Playing with some waterfront ideas

loving hand-plopping...

Undetailed port/industrial area

Lots of room to fill on the map

The map isn't as pretty as some posted, but for something quick and dirty made in under an hour it does the job. It's fun doing a village using only small low buildings and narrow streets. Even the "highway" running through the map is a 2-lane. I wish I had a few more corner buildings though, all the corner buildings are more to the scale of the default european theme, but those buildings feel like skyscrapers in my village.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 27, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Realistic pop is cool but yeah after a certain point it brings the traffic system to its knees and there's nothing you can really do about it. Like there's just nothing in the game to handle 100s of people pouring out of a high rise at the same time.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Baronjutter posted:

So I don't have disasters and have never had this problem, but a small wave due to terraforming my coast a little flooded my town, I'm used to this happening when I do coastal work and just wait for the water to go away. This time it destroyed a good 2 hours of hand-plopping row houses. Is this new? Is there a way to disable this?

I destroyed a big chunk of my mega-city a while ago by trying to gently caress with the poop lake levees so it's not new. This one, poop lake on left edge:

huge version

Disasters DLC comes with water pumping stations that clean it up real quick. I've never had disasters enabled.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

COMRADES posted:

Realistic pop is cool but yeah after a certain point it brings the traffic system to its knees and there's nothing you can really do about it. Like there's just nothing in the game to handle 100s of people pouring out of a high rise at the same time.

That's when you get Rush Hour and Transport Lines Manager so you can have five times as many buses operating during rush hour as you do during midnight.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

COMRADES posted:

I use WG realistic pop and even buffed some of the numbers and never have any major traffic problems, never even use highways. I also wiki the transit vehicles I have and put in real values, which helps. It also means you aren't forced into having a 5 line metro system in a town of 100k. Yeah that office building has 2,000 jobs in it but 50% take the tram or bus, 40% of them bike, and only 10% drive.

Having fun with this little mountain and seaside village/town. Sometimes you don't need too much detailing to make the area suddenly pop, the key is to just not have any odd empty grass areas and something as simple as putting a fence around some industrial buildings will make an area feel much nicer.

Even just putting some trees in the middle of perimeter blocks helps 100%

Sometimes you gotta go a little nuts and give everyone fenced back yards though.

The land surveyor went a little nuts platting out this block I guess...

Fences and gates to secure your cargo

I so wish buildings automatically expanded little filler areas and auto-generated gates and fences though. There's this new Ukrainian village building game that has procedural little fences that nicely conform to any shaped lot and it makes things look so good.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 28, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I really like your beach! I wish you could just designate a area with the districts tool or whatever to be a "park" so citizens would actually use places like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dongattack posted:

I really like your beach! I wish you could just designate a area with the districts tool or whatever to be a "park" so citizens would actually use places like that.

Someone told me there's a mod that does this, you can freely plop a "place of interest" or something and cims will congregate and play.
Also a little tip to detailers, even if you don't have green cities you get all the props. There's some nice green walls and roof gardens and hedges and stuff. Search for "veg" and "plant"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dongattack posted:

I want to be able to set preserves and public land. Lay out trails and park buildings, have it spawn wildlife and attract tourists. Or make use of the old buildings on some maps and make them historical sights. I DEMAND CULTURE.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It's legitimately amazing how much detail you can get in this game from a few props and decals. I've got a WIP nuclear power plant that I've spent some time detailing the entrance facility and sime fairly simple work with decals left it looking pretty damned good.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

How are you finding the employment levels of your town with the realistic pop mod, Baronjutter? I tried to make a small town with the mod on a while back, and I was having a lot of problems with abandoned commercial and industrial. I think the problem might have been that the mod doesn't/can't adjust worker numbers for workshop assets, which were hoovering up all my employees. But it was a while back, so I might just be misremembering.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can more or less deal with the traffic problems with realistic pops but... one office building with 2,000 jobs is one thing but when you have 15 of those in your downtown area and also an arcology housing 10k-20k it can get hosed pretty quick.

The problem I have isn't so much the residents already in the city though but the immigrants coming in and clogging all of the roads because 20,000 of them are trying to all arrive at the same time and from the same exact point of entry even though I have multiple roads/tracks/etc in and out of the city.

turn off the TV posted:

That's when you get Rush Hour and Transport Lines Manager so you can have five times as many buses operating during rush hour as you do during midnight.

I have these too and a pretty robust transit system but at some point when there are thousands and thousands of people at the station... :shrug:

I like realistic pops but it starts to get wonky when you get bigger city sizes. Maybe I'm just bad idk.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 28, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The problem I have with Realistic Pop isn't the office towers having like 2,000 jobs - it's every little mom and pop store having like 20+. Makes it hard to make a mixed residential/commercial neighborhood without lots of low density commercial going abandoned. I've tried playing with the values in the population file that Realistic Pop gives you but haven't had much success getting low density commercial to use default values and everything else to use Realistic Pop.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

The problem I have with Realistic Pop isn't the office towers having like 2,000 jobs - it's every little mom and pop store having like 20+. Makes it hard to make a mixed residential/commercial neighborhood without lots of low density commercial going abandoned. I've tried playing with the values in the population file that Realistic Pop gives you but haven't had much success getting low density commercial to use default values and everything else to use Realistic Pop.

Are you adjusting the demand or the actual jobs for the size of the buildings? IIRC you can edit both in the file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

turn off the TV posted:

Are you adjusting the demand or the actual jobs for the size of the buildings? IIRC you can edit both in the file.

Trying to do the latter but probably screwing it up.