Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
corbyn expresses no official position but tacitly approves, in line with british hard left old guard despising the eu, which is why labour didn’t campaign very hard for a stay vote

most people in labour understand the damaging consequences of leaving but still want to go through with it for some reason, leading to poo poo like this “yeah we’re kind of against brexit but not really guys!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And should he do so it would, barring some incredible statesmanship/maneuvering on his part, almost certainly bring down any Labour government that had gotten into power.

if may can say gently caress off to like three political gaffes that used to bring down prime ministers so can jeremy bloody corbyn

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, realistically the best you can hope for is a soft Brexit, which does seem to be what Labour is angling for.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

corbyn expresses no official position but tacitly approves, in line with british hard left old guard despising the eu, which is why labour didn’t campaign very hard for a stay vote

most people in labour understand the damaging consequences of leaving but still want to go through with it for some reason, leading to poo poo like this “yeah we’re kind of against brexit but not really guys!”

is this some "liberal guy very mad that actually competent and realistic people are in charge"-tantrum or what?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cerebral Bore posted:

is this some "liberal guy very mad that actually competent and realistic people are in charge"-tantrum or what?

so you think labour have done everything in their power to prevent the worst referendum outcome possible for britain by far or what

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
rate your brexit on this handy scale

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

so you think labour have done everything in their power to prevent the worst referendum outcome possible for britain by far or what

no, the blairites spent the year before the ref trying to stab Jezza

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cerebral Bore posted:

no, the blairites spent the year before the ref trying to stab Jezza

well maybe now that the blairites are not in power you can grow some balls and tell jezza brexit is bad

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender
What would happen if whoever the ruling party is decided to stop Brexit? Would the EU exact some form of punishment on the UK in exchange for letting them stay? Would they try to kick them out anyway to make an example of them?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

alsothere posted:

What would happen if whoever the ruling party is decided to stop Brexit? Would the EU exact some form of punishment on the UK in exchange for letting them stay? Would they try to kick them out anyway to make an example of them?

Ideally? Nigel Farage would be hurled into a bog. No idea about the international reaction.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

well maybe now that the blairites are not in power you can grow some balls and tell jezza brexit is bad

actually the first step is to ignore the opinions of your lot, so sorry, no can do

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
remember when chuka umunna said that britain had to leave the single market to end freedom of movement of people immediately after the referendum lol

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

alsothere posted:

No one truly knows. Be assured that many people have Opinions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

getting rid of dacre and murdoch and the barclay brothers and desmond violently would be insanely ftw

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

alsothere posted:

No one really knows tbh. I suspect that the EU wouldn't try to kick us out because they don't really want the UK to leave. maybe they'd extract some concessions from us for all the bother?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

May hosed everything up big time by having no plan for brexit, implementing article 50 and then campaigning an election on hard brexit and loving that up after article 50 had happened

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I mean they haven't urged for a revolution from below to overthrow the Brexiteer capitalists so no, they haven't done everything they could have. Shame that but here we are.

Jose posted:

remember when chuka umunna said that britain had to leave the single market to end freedom of movement of people immediately after the referendum lol

The bold pro EU leader Labour needs! A man of principles!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I want to be extremely racist every time I post something about him

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The Stop Brexit At All Costs brand of liberals just need to be realistic and pragmatic right now, they do no favours to those of us who want to win the next election.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
While Chuka's fall from the British Obama to two-bit shitstirrer is extremely funny, he's still not at the very bottom of pond scum, which remains the domain of people like Hilary Benn and Jess Phillips and everybody who identifies as Blairite. Still should be deselected though.

TomViolence posted:

The Stop Brexit At All Costs brand of liberals just need to be realistic and pragmatic right now, they do no favours to those of us who want to win the next election.

Actually following in the footsteps of the lib dems is sure to bring massive electoral dividends any day now.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Yinlock posted:

ok but what about when there are objectively no good guys(i,e tony blair parks his evil rear end in the good guy chair)

That king of thinking got you david cameron, seven years of tories, and the brexit. You have to stick with your team through thick and thin not just through thick.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

marktheando posted:

lol gently caress off. Voting Lib Dem in 2010 when I could have voted SNP was a mistake, but I don’t regret abandoning Labour over Iraq. They deserved it. I might vote Labour again some day if they stop being pro Brexit.

Also this.

What about all the people whose lives the tories have ruined or made worse, do they deserve it too? Because thats what you vote for when you dont vote for labour.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

half of britain voted against brexit and if labour came out against brexit they would see a massive boost but corbyn will never see this because he hates the eu lol

well its not like the eu is doing greece any favors

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

half of britain voted against brexit and if labour came out against brexit they would see a massive boost but corbyn will never see this because he hates the eu lol

Well, I can see you're quite the expert on what the British electorate wants:

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

corbyn is going to get rear end-hosed because he is an uncompromising marxist and it turns out you have to be flexible on a lot of issues to be liked by dozens of millions enough to be voted into power

Oh here comes another brilliant political strategist:

hakimashou posted:

That king of thinking got you david cameron, seven years of tories, and the brexit. You have to stick with your team through thick and thin not just through thick.

What a fascinating position. I see you've been advocating it consistently:

hakimashou posted:

He should have stepped down when David Cameron did, immediately after the brexit referendum went the way it did. As leaders, he and Cameron both had a responsibility to guide their people away from that decision, and failing to do it meant they had both failed as leaders.

The coup/leadership challenge was a response to him not doing the right thing.

Helsing has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Oct 25, 2017

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol some bad takes itt

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hakimashou has learned that to really rile goons up you support genocide and people dying but also never post about israel or palestine because that gets you probated

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

What about all the people whose lives the tories have ruined or made worse, do they deserve it too? Because thats what you vote for when you dont vote for labour.

That kind of thinking is how Blairism happens.

And anyway when I don’t vote for Labour I vote SNP in a Labour/SNP marginal so either way the Tories aren’t helped.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

marktheando posted:

That kind of thinking is how Blairism happens.

And anyway when I don’t vote for Labour I vote SNP in a Labour/SNP marginal so either way the Tories aren’t helped.

People seemed pretty frightened that there would be a labour/SNP "coalition of chaos" where the separatist SNP held the balance of power in parliament in 2015. The SNP is another example of third parties being bad for the country.

Your kind of thinking is how 2010-present happens, with all the tragic consequences it has brought.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Oct 25, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Helsing posted:

Well, I can see you're quite the expert on what the British electorate wants:

Oh here comes another brilliant political strategist:

What a fascinating position. I see you've been advocating it consistently:

I don't get it, Labour can switch leaders and still be the Labour party can't it? It's happened many times before, no?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

People seemed pretty frightened that there would be a labour/SNP coalition where the SNP held the balance of power in parliament in 2015. The SNP is another example of third parties being bad for the country.

An Ed Milliband labour government controlled by Nicola Sturgeon would be a good thing though.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

marktheando posted:

An Ed Milliband labour government controlled by Nicola Sturgeon would be a good thing though.

I’d quite like an Ed Miliband government controlled by Ed Miliband tbh.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
On Her Majesty's Bacon Sandwich

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

tarbrush posted:

I’d quite like an Ed Miliband government controlled by Ed Miliband tbh.

That would also be acceptable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

marktheando posted:

An Ed government backed by Sturgeon would be milquetoast as gently caress. Better than May but hardly good.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

marktheando posted:

The brexit referendum failing would have been a good thing too but alas.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I don't get it, Labour can switch leaders and still be the Labour party can't it? It's happened many times before, no?

You don't seem to think Labour should care about its current membership either:

hakimashou posted:

One of the rhetorical tricks that corbynistas think is clever is to claim he's popular and a winner because he won the leadership elections.

They forget or willfully ignore that it isnt the Party Members who count, but the general public.

So when you advocate supporting the team, your definition of "the team" doesn't include what either the current leadership advocates or what the actual membership wants?

Here are some more valuable insights that show what a smart and cagey political analyst you've been regarding what would actually appeal to the British electorate:

hakimashou posted:

J-corbz is seriously gonna lose I think. And he's been a serious liability for like a year now.

hakimashou posted:

She's magnificent just like I said before.

hakimashou posted:

Under better leadership and with a more centrist orientation the Labour party has a chance of forming a government and holding a majority in parliament but the lib dems don't.

hakimashou posted:

Yeah miliband had a problem that was separate from any policy, his goofy gumpy looking face. I remember 2 years ago watching the leaders' debates and he would just stare directly into the camera with his eyes all big and googly to 'directly address the viewer' and it made your skin crawl.

T May on the other hand has a real visage. She looks like she should be prime minister. She always looks very alert and earnest and capable and formidable.

Whereas corbyn never stood a chance in hell, even an outside chance, because he looks like a shambolic communist held-over from the 1960s.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

"T May on the other hand has a real visage. She looks like she should be prime minister. She always looks very alert and earnest and capable and formidable. "

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
HUMILIATION FOR LOSER CLEGG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
ty for the gangtag

cant wait to post from the continent at the failing brexiting united kingdom