Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Putting my bets on Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shbobdb posted:

We're all adults here. We all understand that in real-life, throughout the ages, when a ship was boarded by pirates, or when pirates raided a coastal village, rape was simply part of the deal. I wouldn't be bringing this up if it weren't for the promise of improved ground combat, but during boarding operations. I personally believe that a short animation (nothing X-rated) that simply suggests your soldiers are being sexually defiled would add to the harsh consequences of losing. Harsh consequences are absent from most 4X games and it's something we all desire. A little humiliation, combined with smack talk from the perpetrators, would really make me think twice about leaving a system undefended. I mean, we're all very comfortable with MURDERING other players, which is what happens when you blow up their spaceships and bomb their planets. Surely, what I'm proposing is less morally questionable?

I just think that war should be something that is truly horrible and those that oppose it should feel as if they are fighting evil itself.

I cannot for the life of me remember where this sperg post is from.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I cannot for the life of me remember where this sperg post is from.

Star citizen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

We're all adults here. We all understand that in real-life, throughout the ages, when a ship was boarded by pirates, or when pirates raided a coastal village, rape was simply part of the deal. I wouldn't be bringing this up if it weren't for the promise of improved ground combat, but during boarding operations. I personally believe that a short animation (nothing X-rated) that simply suggests your soldiers are being sexually defiled would add to the harsh consequences of losing. Harsh consequences are absent from most 4X games and it's something we all desire. A little humiliation, combined with smack talk from the perpetrators, would really make me think twice about leaving a system undefended. I mean, we're all very comfortable with MURDERING other players, which is what happens when you blow up their spaceships and bomb their planets. Surely, what I'm proposing is less morally questionable?

I just think that war should be something that is truly horrible and those that oppose it should feel as if they are fighting evil itself.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Having troops be a part of a fleet or attached somehow and being able to board stations would be cool though, minus the sperg rape fetish of course.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ham Sandwiches posted:

My take was that the FTL inhibitor means that once a hostile fleet enters that system, it can't warp out until some amount of time has passed or it has dealt with the station. I know they haven't announced the plans for FTL changes if any so that seems like it would work fine even with the current systems.

He clarifies in the other tweets that if end up in a system with an FTL inhibitor you don't necessarily drop right on top of it, (so it probably still drops you at the edge of the system) but you can't warp out unless you kill the station or emergency FTL out (and thus take damage and loose control of your fleet for a bit).

Emergency FTL will now be usable when not in combat as well.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

I forgot about star citizen until just now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

He clarifies in the other tweets that if end up in a system with an FTL inhibitor you don't necessarily drop right on top of it, (so it probably still drops you at the edge of the system) but you can't warp out unless you kill the station or emergency FTL out (and thus take damage and loose control of your fleet for a bit).

Emergency FTL will now be usable when not in combat as well.

no more stuck science ships.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

rex monday posted:

I'm kinda annoyed about starbases shifting to the stars because the glare and bloom from the stars will make it harder to zoom in and look at them.

It's a very silly reason but it's mine.

Totally agree on this. The stars look great from a distance but are kind of a pain in the rear end to look at close up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shbobdb posted:

There's a character limit on thread titles, dude.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What do you mean stuck science ships? You've been able to emerg-FTL stranded ships home for ages now, by hitting the 'return to rally point' button.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

What do you mean stuck science ships? You've been able to emerg-FTL stranded ships home for ages now, by hitting the 'return to rally point' button.

Talking about when you have a guy out exploring and another empire either closes their borders or pushes their borders on their return path.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Talking about when you have a guy out exploring and another empire either closes their borders or pushes their borders on their return path.

So is he.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yes, you can already emergency ftl in that situation. If you hit the return button, it says 'no path found, do an emergency jump?'

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Goddammit this whole time I've been just unassigning the scientist and giving them a shiny new ship

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

But it would be nice to be able to do it when you have a 90 jump route looping around 3/4s of the galaxy because someone closed borders.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Shugojin posted:

Goddammit this whole time I've been just unassigning the scientist and giving them a shiny new ship

This is often much faster as it can take months to return stranded ships. Unless you really need those 80 minerals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Star citizen.

I mean, I was in the same boat, and I just assumed star citizen.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

All I have to say about Unity is that it feels like it would make more sense if that was reduced when you're over your system cap, rather than Influence.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You guys are pretty sharp. When I did that same joke in the FTL thread, roughly 1/3rd got it, 1/3rd thought I was serious and 1/3rd spent a lot of energy defending Star Citizen and saying that people who hate Star Citizen made up that post and it's just slander against Star Citizen.

Good times.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

You guys are pretty sharp. When I did that same joke in the FTL thread, roughly 1/3rd got it, 1/3rd thought I was serious and 1/3rd spent a lot of energy defending Star Citizen and saying that people who hate Star Citizen made up that post and it's just slander against Star Citizen.

Good times.

I actually expected it to segue into squad broken

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shbobdb posted:

Good times.

October 31st, 2012 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. CK2 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Sunset Invasion was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I spend way too much time reading nerds bitch about videogames.

I also spend way too much time being a nerd bitching about videogames but I don't think there is a correlation.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Fintilgin posted:

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day...

One might even say, flipped turned upside down.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I spend way too much time reading nerds bitch about videogames.

I also spend way too much time being a nerd bitching about videogames but I don't think there is a correlation.
Sometimes you just gotta stop and smell the roses man.

And then find a thread about roses on a dead gay comedy forum so you can post a page long rant on how mainstream appeal ruined roses and they don't smell half as good as they used to in the good old days.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Fintilgin posted:

October 31st, 2012 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. CK2 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Sunset Invasion was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

I've seen bits and pieces of this quoted before, but never the whole thing, and I never knew what the subject was. Jesus.

While I haven't played CK2 myself, isn't that the game where you can marry cows and elect them pope shortly afterward or something? How exactly is a trans-atlantic Aztec invasion breaking the spirit of that?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I've seen bits and pieces of this quoted before, but never the whole thing, and I never knew what the subject was. Jesus.

While I haven't played CK2 myself, isn't that the game where you can marry cows and elect them pope shortly afterward or something? How exactly is a trans-atlantic Aztec invasion breaking the spirit of that?

Yeah, CK2 also added an event that gave you a horse for an advisor (to go with the Horse Lords DLC), which you could then appoint as a bishop, and the game would spawn a bunch of horse courtiers for him, and then you could marry people to those horses, eventually create a player dynasty of horses, and then inevitably create a truly Equestrian Roman Emperor.

It was especially stupid with Sunset Invasion, because it was its own self-contained DLC, so you could just not buy it/turn it off on games where you didn't want it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's even a Silly Events toggle you can set at the start of the game, for people who have neither souls nor friends.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've seen people inherit the entire planet in CK2 so I refuse to believe it's realistic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fintilgin posted:

There's a character limit on thread titles, dude.
So if titles are getting limited in size, what's stopping people from having all titles auto-follow the main thread?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This is often much faster as it can take months to return stranded ships. Unless you really need those 80 minerals.

Yeah it's kinda funny how you can get the leader between areas faster than you can get any of your ships but WIZ PLEASE PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THIS.

Anyway it's currently the fastest way to get a totally stranded science ship (effectively) back to base. Or just one that's really far away from your spaceports when you research jump drives :v:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Are space stations star ports going to be permanent structures like habitats now? I was trying to think about why you would want to downgrade them, and it makes sense if you conquer someone else's upgraded station but don't need to keep it as a massive fortress or whatever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm hoping it's just EU4 forts but in space. I imagine you'd downgrade them for the same reasons you'd demolish/mothball forts in eu4: because they're no longer militarily relevant to your defenses.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

Excuse me, you can marry a horse not a filthy bovine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would hope that the stations require energy upkeep and you would want to adjust how developed they are based on how much you are willing to spend. So you can spec your empire into space development if you want to by building more energy collection.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Hahah okay wow.

So in that last disastrous war my ally lost a lot of poo poo and some of it got liberated. poo poo sucks.

I frantically rebuild my fleet for the incoming 1v2, but then my ally declares war AGAIN.

What's this? He declared war on the liberated planets...and only the 2nd largest enemy empire promised to keep it independent. So the largest and baddest enemy empire was out of the fight for this. :getin:

With some struggling, we win, and I get back 3 planets I had lost before and so does my ally.

Then 5 years later, the biggest enemy empire declares war on us. But this time, without his ally backing him up (thanks to the truce from the last war), we manage to defeat him with some trouble. Another 3 planets ceded back to the cause of the right and good. :)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm starting as this custom-made Snake Egypt decadent empire, whose backstory involves having just lost their home planet and first moon to some cataclysm, and I see that most of my starting population has the owned slave pop malus to happiness, even though there are founding-species slaves on my planet already. How do I deal with this?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
You need more slaves. 1.8 changed the mechanic so that *each* free pop needs a slave to have their desire fulfilled. So Decadence has gone from a free pick to one of the more debilitating ones if you can't compensate for it. Note that owned robots/droids/synths can also fulfill that desire, so a Decadent civilization has some incentive to build them just for that.

edit: Since slavery is now pop-to-pop, Domestic Servitude is also weaker than it used to be, for the same reason.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I get more influence as a determinated exterminator robots? I can colonize new planets only very slowly. Found a tech which gives +1 but that was that.

Also why I picked more core worlds traditions. I have 13 and the whack a mole game is endless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Building multiple robots is nice. Is there such a thing (mod or planned) for buildings? Sure would cut down on the busywork of slamming down multiple mines/power plants! :haw:

• Locked thread